Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
14 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
57 min ago
Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India
Default Rishi Kapoor passes away.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/75464048.cms

So Rishi Kapoor passed away.

RK was IMO the excellent actor who was on very few people's lists of excellent actors. It was in good part his own fault. He was content to always play the romantic hero who, depending on the script gets or doesn't get the girl (in which he case he takes to drink, and tells his filmi maa "Haan maa, maine sharab pee hai, magar tum mat peena isko...badi kadvi cheez hai"). Like that old bat (still alive, curses!) who delighted that her aging voice was being lip-synced by a continuous stream of nubile starlets, Rishi took pride in playing the same old beau to an ever-changing line of debutantes.

But when he took the odd good part he could be amazing. Like the luckier-in-terms-of-opportunity Mohanlal, he had a gift for effortless acting many of his peers would struggle to achieve. One of the biggest injustices was in Damini where his immensely credible portrayal of a man torn between his family and his crusading wife was ignored during awards season in favor of a lot of yelling and macho posturing by a person who portrayed a lawyer like a hard-of-hearing truck driver.

There were other parts where he shone:

Khel Khel Mein and Rafoo Chakkar he carried off with sheer youthful energy. Frankly I was a lot more entertained by RC than its source material Some Like It Hot.

Karz - Golden era Rishi. He owns the part from start to end, and his scenes with Simi Garewal are electric.

Badalte Rishte - Apart from a cheat ending, this movie where he plays a man determined to kill his ex-lover's husband is a showcase for a chilling side of him.

Doosra Aadmi - The ad executive who finds a creative consultant (Rakhee) falling for him because she finds him remarkably similar to her dead boyfriend. One of the more restrained Yash Chopra films, and all the better for it.

Khoj - I didn't know at the time that it was ripped off from another movie, and when the climax happened, I was like "Oh wow, how cool." It's quite trashy in parts but still enjoyable.
Thanks given by:
bermuda (04-30-2020), jbloggs (05-09-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Mar 2010

I said something very similar to my family - Rishi Kapoor was never an actor who was anyone's favourite, but he was an actor that everyone seemed to like. I wrote a bit about both him and Irrfan on my blog, have a look if you like:

https://fridaynightatthemovies.wordp...d-irrfan-khan/
Thanks given by:
jbloggs (05-09-2020), ketan (05-04-2020), ravenus (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^Nice article, well-written.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/75464048.cms

So Rishi Kapoor passed away.

RK was IMO the excellent actor who was on very few people's lists of excellent actors. It was in good part his own fault. He was content to always play the romantic hero who, depending on the script gets or doesn't get the girl (in which he case he takes to drink, and tells his filmi maa "Haan maa, maine sharab pee hai, magar tum mat peena isko...badi kadvi cheez hai"). Like that old bat (still alive, curses!) who delighted that her aging voice was being lip-synced by a continuous stream of nubile starlets, Rishi took pride in playing the same old beau to an ever-changing line of debutantes.

But when he took the odd good part he could be amazing. Like the luckier-in-terms-of-opportunity Mohanlal, he had a gift for effortless acting many of his peers would struggle to achieve. One of the biggest injustices was in Damini where his immensely credible portrayal of a man torn between his family and his crusading wife was ignored during awards season in favor of a lot of yelling and macho posturing by a person who portrayed a lawyer like a hard-of-hearing truck driver.

There were other parts where he shone:

Khel Khel Mein and Rafoo Chakkar he carried off with sheer youthful energy. Frankly I was a lot more entertained by RC than its source material Some Like It Hot.

Karz - Golden era Rishi. He owns the part from start to end, and his scenes with Simi Garewal are electric.

Badalte Rishte - Apart from a cheat ending, this movie where he plays a man determined to kill his ex-lover's husband is a showcase for a chilling side of him.

Doosra Aadmi - The ad executive who finds a creative consultant (Rakhee) falling for him because she finds him remarkably similar to her dead boyfriend. One of the more restrained Yash Chopra films, and all the better for it.

Khoj - I didn't know at the time that it was ripped off from another movie, and when the climax happened, I was like "Oh wow, how cool." It's quite trashy in parts but still enjoyable.
Perfectly said ravenus.. did you like him as Rauf Lala in the Agneepath remake? or in Mulk?

Rishi Kapoor would convincingly play the musical instruments on screen

My personal anecdote few years back as a film journo was a scolding i recd from him for a call I made to him 10 mins late bec my earlier interview phone call went on longer... He picked up the call lashed me out for calling me late and hung up.. I needed his urgent byte for a story I was doing for a tabloid..I had almost dropped the story and 30 mins later he called me back sounding chilled out and said he was sorry if he sounded rude...and that he doesn't like speaking about work and stuff once he begins his drinks at 8 pm .. If its something urgent he was game to talk about... and he ended up speaking a good 20 mins giving me more stories than I needed

P.S - Doosra Aadmi was produced by Yash Chopra but directed by his Chief AD back then Ramesh Talwar
Thanks given by:
jbloggs (05-09-2020), ravenus (05-04-2020), thisgenius (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

I haven't actually seen Mulk, now I feel I should have. it has gone out of Prime, only available on Zee's streaming, which I don't have.
Agonypath's Rauf Lala was okay, but I felt it was such an outright villain, lacking in shade, that it didn't do justice to Rishi's ability to do a layered character, more a Deepak Shirke kind of role that Rishi happened to do.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India