Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
1 hr ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

Sep 2017
New Jersey
Default Can someone help me

I have a question I was hoping someone here could help me out with. I will try and explain it the best I can in hopes you can tell my what the issue is called. I have two 4k tvs, a 55 inch Samsung ks9000, and a 65inch LG OLED C9. The issue Iím talking about is something I would call black snow. Picture old fashion televisions where we used to use rabbit ear antennas to get a picture and it used to have white snow all over the picture. It kind of looks like that except itís black and not white. Iím not talking about microblocking. And the best examples of this issue shows up extremely in both the new Top Gun 4k, and War of the World 4k. The black static or snow shows up in the light parts of the screen not the dark which is why itís so annoying. Iíve tried to take pictures of it using my iPhone but itís hard to show with photos. It shows up if I play the movie from the 4k disc or stream it using VUDU. Itís not a issue with either of my television sets because itís limited to certain movies only. As I said before the most glaring example recently is Top Gun and War of the Worlds 4K. Sorry for such a long post. Itís just something that has always bothered me, and only is present in certain movies .
Old 05-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #2

Sep 2017
New Jersey

The issue happens no matter what gear I am using. It’s directly a result of the actual 4k movie itself as said above , I played top gun 4k and war of the worlds 4k on a Samsung ks9000 tv hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung UBD-M9500 4k Blu-ray player . Both devices connected online via Ethernet. My other setup is a LG OLED C9 hooked up via HDMI to a Panasonic DP-UB820P-K Blu-ray player. Also both connected to the internet via Ethernet. All updated to the newest firmware versions. But taking both Blu-ray players out of the picture, just using the VUDU streaming app on both televisions produces the exact same results as when playing it from the disc itself. So it’s not the players, and I would gather it’s not the televisions considering they both end up with the same results. Again this isn’t every movie . Only a handful. The newest ones I noticed are top gun and war of the worlds. War of the worlds especially. I’m the bright parts of the screen you see what appears to be black small dots. I call it snow. For any of you who play video games, there are settings on pc versions of games that you can turn off that add film grain to the picture giving it a old style movie type of image. That’s exactly how I would explain what this looks like . However I don’t know if film grain in movies is the same as in video games .
Old 05-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #3

Sep 2017
New Jersey

After some research it’s film grain that I’m seeing and that’s annoying me lol after reading some reviews for war of the worlds 4k it’s brought up in every review , usually as a positive thing, as highdefdigest.com stated “ Film grain is a constant companion for this film but doesn't appear as noisy or gloppy as the Blu-ray. It's still prominent, the film still looks gritty and raw”.
It is exactly what newer video games especially on the PC allow you to turn off because some people do not like it. I guess I’m one of those people. Lol

Do you guys enjoy heavy film grain in your movies? While I can kind of understand the look and feel war of the worlds was going for , I still rather it not have that gritty, dirty look.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #4

Oct 2018
USA

Greetings jtravapd. What you are seeing is called "Film Grain" Don't worry, although it can be annoying, you can rest assured it's not your television. World of the Worlds and Top Gun were shot with 35mm film. 35mm movies are notorious for having a grainy picture. If you accept this, like I have, then the grain won't be as bothersome because now you know of it's origin.

Newer films that are filmed digitally, don't contain the grain. The concept is similar to comparing a CD to a vinyl record. The vinyl will have crackles and pops while the CD will sound nice and clean.

Hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
jtravapd (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #5

Sep 2017
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX Man View Post
Greetings jtravapd. What you are seeing is called "Film Grain" Don't worry, although it can be annoying, you can rest assured it's not your television. World of the Worlds and Top Gun were shot with 35mm film. 35mm movies are notorious for having a grainy picture. If you accept this, like I have, then the grain won't be as bothersome because now you know of it's origin.

Newer films that are filmed digitally, don't contain the grain. The concept is similar to comparing a CD to a vinyl record. The vinyl will have crackles and pops while the CD will sound nice and clean.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man I actually kept looking up information when I found it on a video game ďcall of dutyĒ it was in the options screen with the ability to turn it off or on which for some it gives the game a more cinematic effect. Personally I donít enjoy it, however exactly like you said once I found out it was part of the production and not something wrong it didnít bother me as much. After watching ďwar of the worldsĒ On 4k Blu-ray I streamed ďAquamanĒ through my VUDU account. Normally Iím not a fan of tons of CGI but I have to say WOW, the Dolby Digital for Aquaman absolutely shines on the OLED screen of the C9. So much so that, and brace yourself , my girlfriend actually noticed the difference of how amazing it looked. Lol I bought the 65inch LG OLED C9 for my living room but instead put it in my bedroom in place of my 55inch QLED Samsung KS9000 which is an amazing tv but it just canít compete with the LG.
Thanks given by:
CSX Man (05-18-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion