Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
1 hr ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Speaker crackling problem/question

Up until recently, I haven’t had any issues with my home theater system. But as of two weeks ago, my center speaker has had a crackling sound in it. It isn’t always there, for example, in dialogue scenes, but anytime a bass heavy effect is run through them, like Kylo Ren’s lightsaber in The Force Awakens or when Superman screams and flies off in Superman The Movie, there is this intense cracklings that I hear. I especially heard it during a viewing of Transformers 4K last night.

I’ve googled answers to this and suggestions were made to change the speaker out with another which I did. I took a rear speaker and put it where the center speaker was and the crackling didn’t happens so I’m assuming it’s the speaker.

I’ve ordered a replacement but is there a way I can fix this and perhaps send my replacement back to save money?

Speaker purchase link.

Last edited by Kryptonian; 04-25-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

first, did you put the center channel speaker somewhere else (say swapped with the right channel speaker) did the crackling issue happen now on the right channel speaker?

if it's a speaker issue, and from what you say, it looks to be, it's either gonna be a driver or a crossover issue.

even if you determine which one it is, can you buy replacement parts for it, I'm not sure if this is a new model speaker, I don't think it is, but i'm not sure. also, isn't this usually sold as part of a 5-7.1 channel speaker package of small satellite speakers?

I haven't found anyplace online that sells that individual speaker, so, I think your options are very limited. if you like the speakers and if you have found a replacement center channel, I say bite the bullet and be happy that you did cost wise.

best of luck with the issue, keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #3

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
first, did you put the center channel speaker somewhere else (say swapped with the right channel speaker) did the crackling issue happen now on the right channel speaker?

if it's a speaker issue, and from what you say, it looks to be, it's either gonna be a driver or a crossover issue.

even if you determine which one it is, can you buy replacement parts for it, I'm not sure if this is a new model speaker, I don't think it is, but i'm not sure. also, isn't this usually sold as part of a 5-7.1 channel speaker package of small satellite speakers?

I haven't found anyplace online that sells that individual speaker, so, I think your options are very limited. if you like the speakers and if you have found a replacement center channel, I say bite the bullet and be happy that you did cost wise.

best of luck with the issue, keep us posted.

When I say I bought a replacement, I just meant a newer center speaker. And when I put the rear speaker on the center wires, I had no crackling.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:13 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian View Post
When I say I bought a replacement, I just meant a newer center speaker. And when I put the rear speaker on the center wires, I had no crackling.
Ok, but I wasnít asking that as I understood what you did. So, as I said before, did you place the original center channel speaker somewhere else in the system to test it and if so, was it still making crackling noises?

Just trying to determine if the old center channel is actually bad. If itís bad it will make crackling noises on any channel played at volume. You never mentioned testing what was believed to be a bad speaker on a different channel to see if the crackling continued or not.

So, with whatever you replaced the center channel speaker with, are you happy with itóas in does it match up with the other speakers sound wise?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North Americaô

Wicked Theater Kryptonian!
Thanks given by:
Kryptonian (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 12:27 AM   #6

Jan 2009

It was the speaker. The new one showed up today, hooked it up after I turned up the volume on the old one to induce crackling. Paused the movie, changed it out, no crackling.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (05-06-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Ok, but I wasn’t asking that as I understood what you did. So, as I said before, did you place the original center channel speaker somewhere else in the system to test it and if so, was it still making crackling noises?

Just trying to determine if the old center channel is actually bad. If it’s bad it will make crackling noises on any channel played at volume. You never mentioned testing what was believed to be a bad speaker on a different channel to see if the crackling continued or not.

So, with whatever you replaced the center channel speaker with, are you happy with it—as in does it match up with the other speakers sound wise?
I missed your post but I’ll check out putting it on another wire too.

With the new one, all my other speakers sound different compared to the center channel. I know it’s a different model but the center one doesn’t quite sound so loud or clear. The first day I had it, I played Star Wars and when the Death Star exploded, I heard a loud pop. Ever since then everything kind of sounds off. Did the speaker get damaged?

Edit: When I do the speaker calibration with my receiver, the sounds come through normal on all speakers. According to the review, Star Wars is a little softer compared to other movies so maybe that’s it. Dialogue sounds fine when I turn it up, except for the popping sounds toward the end of the movie. You can hear the popping here.

Edit 2: I put the old center speaker on the right surround wires and it had the same crackling so I know it’s the speaker. Is there a way to fix the crackling physically or is the old center speaker a lost cause?

Last edited by Kryptonian; 05-02-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

based on Edit 2, i'd say it's a lost cause. you need to know if it's one of the drivers or the crossover and then you'd need the replacement parts.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian View Post
Edit 2: I put the old center speaker on the right surround wires and it had the same crackling so I know itís the speaker. Is there a way to fix the crackling physically or is the old center speaker a lost cause?
It depends on the speaker, I'd shoot the manufacturer and email to see what parts are available. Some smaller speakers basically have to be cracked open to repair them. Are they Klipsch RSX-3s? It looks like you can take the front of the speaker off, but not sure about access from there.

Might be worth picking up a pair on eBay to match your current ones (and you'd have a spare).
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It depends on the speaker, I'd shoot the manufacturer and email to see what parts are available. Some smaller speakers basically have to be cracked open to repair them. Are they Klipsch RSX-3s? It looks like you can take the front of the speaker off, but not sure about access from there.

Might be worth picking up a pair on eBay to match your current ones (and you'd have a spare).
If a center channel speaker become damaged somehow or just from normal wear and tear, it's best to buy a new one because, the labor to repair it is going to cost a lot more than the part so it wouldn't be worth it, especially if it's a old speaker.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post

his speaker is the center (RCX-3) and it's not sold in pairs, so, if he wants an exact replacement, that's a no go.

having said that, yes you are correct Chip75, the other satellites are RSX-3's and if the non center RSX-3 does not block the monitor/tv being used (the center is horizontal and sits lower) then yes, the RSX-3 satellites would work if they can find them. the nice thing about this, is it would give perfect timbre across the entire soundstage as you would have all the same speaker in use.
the trick is finding the speaker.

an exact used center channel is available in New Mexico if the OP can tolerate the price and the appearance of cabinet wear. of course, if the drivers and internals can come out as say "1 piece" then the OP could just take out the guts of the replacement and put them into his existing center cabinet which is probably in better shape. something to think about since it's an exact replacement!

Last edited by solarrdadd; 05-17-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
If a center channel speaker become damaged somehow or just from normal wear and tear, it's best to buy a new one because, the labor to repair it is going to cost a lot more than the part so it wouldn't be worth it, especially if it's a old speaker.
It depends on the speaker, some have very simple construction, my Yamaha speakers would have required me to remove the face place, unscrew the front pull off the crimp connectors and replace the drivers. So something pretty straightforward.

But if I were the OP, I'd think about the item solarrdadd linked to, or keeping an eye out for a set of three to replace the centre and have a spare surround or two (also handy for 7.1).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers