Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99
10 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
12 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Dec 2009
Default Kundun Region A North American Release

Although searching Kundun on blu-ray.com as of 12 Feb 2011 does not yield any result of a release of the said title in the U.S. and Canada, this title seems to be available in stock on B&N.com, amazon.com and amazon.ca, though an image is not available in any of the said e-tailers' website.

As you may know this title was released with the affiliation of StudioCanal in various countries which are Germany, Australia, France, Spain and Hong Kong. According to the customer accounts, the releases in the said countries -except Hong Kong- are exactly the same. I am trying to find out whether the Hong Kong release also includes the same transfer in the below thread, though I expect that it would because of StudioCanal's affiliation with the Hong Kong release:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/asia/148808-kundun.html

Anyhow, it seems that the StudioCanal releases are extremely DNRed. I would like to know whether anyone has acquired the U.S. and/or Canada release and share with us his opinions.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2

Mar 2011

Sorry,I've never seen Kundun in HD from any label. Although,I wish it was on blu-ray in the usa. I would love to have this film in HD. I think this is Martin Scorsese's most visually beautiful film.
Thanks given by:
jpaul1972 (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #3

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Default What are the chances

of this ever being released on blu-ray in the US?
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (09-24-2018)
Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul1972 View Post
of this ever being released on blu-ray in the US?
slim
Old 06-20-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

I'm sure there are others who may disagree, but I think the Hong Kong release is darn good looking.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA

Anyone heard any news on this ever being released in the US? Would be great to see a movie like this released by Criterion.

Last edited by jpaul1972; 09-27-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added more text
Thanks given by:
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #7

May 2011

Mexican release coming soon
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kundun-Blu-ray/190382/
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Zima isn't one of the best companies when it comes to Blu-rays. Titles usually have lossy audio (more often or not 2.0 when most of the titles they release had 5.1 or even 7.1 mixes) and are sometimes cropped (my one Zima title, Girl in Progress, was shot anamorphic but is obviously cropped to 1.78). You might be better off getting one of the other English-friendly discs.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Sicily

Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscemi View Post
Zima isn't one of the best companies when it comes to Blu-rays. Titles usually have lossy audio (more often or not 2.0 when most of the titles they release had 5.1 or even 7.1 mixes) and are sometimes cropped (my one Zima title, Girl in Progress, was shot anamorphic but is obviously cropped to 1.78). You might be better off getting one of the other English-friendly discs.
I own the DE disc and it is an outright travesty. On CAH the SE disc looks better. (shrug)
Thanks given by:
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #11

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscemi View Post
Finally released, it comes with 2.35:1 aspect ratio and English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
Girl in progress is not a Zima title
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 AM   #12

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I own the DE disc and it is an outright travesty. On CAH the SE disc looks better. (shrug)
Yeah I originally had the German Kinowelt blu-ray and it is the single worst blu-ray I have ever seen. An utter travesty. All-time most DNR ever! It literally looks like cel animation most of the time!

I see now that CAH lists a SE version that looks a bit soft, maybe, but natural certainly and miles beyond better than the garbage Kinowelt DE disaster. The thing is I am unsure how to go about getting this better version. Looking on ebay and Amazon it's hard to be sure what exactly the various versions there are.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 AM   #13

Feb 2012

It's a travesty that Disney won't release one of the greatest works by one of the most famous American directors in his own country! Dirty politics, Disney is just cow-twoing to Chinese dictatorship and tossing free speech in the trash.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #14

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulderp View Post
Finally released, it comes with 2.35:1 aspect ratio and English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
Girl in progress is not a Zima title
What is the Zima version like?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 AM   #15
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
It's a travesty that Disney won't release one of the greatest works by one of the most famous American directors in his own country! Dirty politics, Disney is just cow-twoing to Chinese dictatorship and tossing free speech in the trash.
Kino is supposed to be releasing it.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #16

Jul 2011
Southern California

I have the HK version and if popular opinion on the SC version is that of ultra DNR, you don't even have to think of the HK version as a possible savior - its DNRed to the core and I won't be surprised if its the same crap. Regretted getting it off ebay every bit. Besides, the love for this movie is kinda undecipherable. Its almost as if the prestige tag is attached only because of Scorsese's name. The narrative is confusing, often disjointed and purposeless, with the scenes presenting no dramatic impact other than the beautiful cinematography. And the Glass score is another thing - its like if you've heard Glass once, you've heard it all, the same cadence, the same synths, the same everything and its over done to dramatize a scene that presents no content to match.

So go ahead and ask me 'So, how did you REALLY feel ?'

Seriously, this movie is a case of the emperor's new clothes. Marty better stick to the F word fest in a gangster flick

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 09-24-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post

Seriously, this movie is a case of the emperor's new clothes.

I couldn't agree more.

The non-gangster clothes fit Scorsese very well. Kundun, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Age of Innocence, Bringing Out the Dead and Silence are among his best films. He has an underrated knack for deep, meditative films that are nonetheless as intense as his much-incensed crime thrillers.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #18

Jul 2011
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
I couldn't agree more.

The non-gangster clothes fit Scorsese very well. Kundun, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Age of Innocence, Bringing Out the Dead and Silence are among his best films. He has an underrated knack for deep, meditative films that are nonetheless as intense as his much-incensed crime thrillers.
In that case, you probably meant to say 'I couldn't NOT agree more', yeah ?

Who's That Knocking at My Door, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, After Hours, Age of Innocence are some of my favorite movies, so yes, Scorsese's hand is deft but those are his earlier movies. So perhaps, I generalized too much in my final statement. But measured against those flicks, Kundun is seriously a royal waste of time. Lose the shots of the spectacular Himalayas and you have nothing of merit in the film. But again, cinema is subjective and I respect your views. Cheers !
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
canada, hong kong, kundun, north america, u.s.