Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
7 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.77
14 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22
 
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.95
11 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$83.50
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Friday the 13th (1980) 585 24.43%
Friday the 13th Part II 482 20.13%
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D 342 14.28%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 720 30.06%
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 143 5.97%
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason lives 583 24.34%
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 191 7.97%
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 133 5.55%
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 84 3.51%
Jason X 167 6.97%
Freddy Vs. Jason 207 8.64%
Friday the 13th (2009) 128 5.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2395. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #1041
balthazar_bee balthazar_bee is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
balthazar_bee's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I would have liked the remake not to be so literal. It would have been cool if in the reboot both Jason AND Pamela were offing people at camp.
Too literal -- that's a very astute criticism of the remake in my opinion. It's an object lesson: what happens when film makers "know the words but not the music", so to speak.

Rather than rushing through three films' worth of story in the prologue, they could've taken it slow, let things build up a bit more gracefully. The remake really feels like it's blown its wad by the time the film proper gets going.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #1042
format916 format916 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
format916's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
South Florida
22
473
399
1
1
Default

actually scream was somewhat released unrated (on vhs) on those special edition covers with the girls on it...one of them was the uncut version.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #1043
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPom View Post
I think the 20 minute long set up story in the reboot really hurt it. It was so much set up for nothing really.
I actually enjoyed the setup. I think it set the tone.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1044
RyanPom RyanPom is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jun 2013
236
1373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I actually enjoyed the setup. I think it set the tone.
All that gratuitous nudity didn't help the story at all, lol.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1045
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
Too literal -- that's a very astute criticism of the remake in my opinion. It's an object lesson: what happens when film makers "know the words but not the music", so to speak.

Rather than rushing through three films' worth of story in the prologue, they could've taken it slow, let things build up a bit more gracefully. The remake really feels like it's blown its wad by the time the film proper gets going.
But I can see why they did this - do you think that audiences today would have accepted it if Jason wasn't even the killer in the first reboot film? No way - people wanted to see Jason, even though he doesn't even do the killing in part 1 originally. And by that same token, do you think that people would have been happy watching Jason run around with a sack over his head the entire film? Of course not - people went to see Jason as we now know him, with his hockey mask. I like how they started off with the sack like the original and then eventually he found the mask part way through. I just don't love how he actually found it the way they did it.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #1046
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
I'm still buying no matter what. I already sold the four Friday blus I had and I will be putting that money towards the set, and I'm sure it will be a decent price for the first week.

Oh people complaining about the lack of bonus features...really?! With Crystal Lake Memories coming out I think 7 (or 11 ) hours is more than enough.
Yeah, but we're not getting that with this set - Warner/Paramount isn't giving us diddly-squat for new features. We're only getting a nice documentary because we're buying it from another company, so it's like we're buying the films from one company and the extras from another company.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #1047
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Man Don View Post
I hear what you're saying. Part 5 is as far as I care to go but I'd give MORE than what they're asking just for a part 3 in REAL 3D.
I paid $50 for a filed-sequential 3D version of Friday the 13th part 3 on VHS waay back when a "company" was selling Japanese 3D field-sequential transfers on VHS tapes, before DVD ever hit the market. So yeah, if they would actually release a proper 3D version, I'm certain fans would pay for it.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #1048
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I'm a huge fan of the series, and think this set looks great. That said, I think I'll wait until BF. Wouldn't be surprised if they have this on sale then.
You can't count on Black Friday. You never know what's going on sale and what isn't. Last year in Best Buy there were some incredible deals on blu-ray sets on Black Friday, yet some sets weren't on sale at all.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #1049
RyanPom RyanPom is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jun 2013
236
1373
Default

I only own 1 and 2 on blu, so this is a no brainier purchase. I can always sell it later if I hate the others.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1050
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPat View Post
Daniel Farrands already looked 4 years ago and got all there was to get. Thus, being on the Deluxe Edition DVD that came out 4 years ago. There is a NEW 7 HOUR DOCUMENTARY coming in August. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO GET? OMG this is getting old.
The 7-hour documentary will have tons of awesome new interviews and clips. But will they have access to behind-the-scenes footage and test footage and cut scenes like Paramount does? It's likely to be an awesome documentary but still they can't show us behind-the-scenes footage like Paramount can because you know Paramount must have reels and reels of behind-the-scenes shooting footage.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1051
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1983 View Post
Or I'll just enjoy my DVDs. See THIS is another thing that puts people off of buying this stuff these days. I own three copies of the first four, and part 6, and two copies of 5, 7, and 8, and one of the rest.

If they want me to continue to buy the same film over and over again, at least don't insult my intelligence with that price tag. This would have been my 4th copy of a few of them, but I'm not going to waste the money.
$130 divided by 12 movies = $10 each. That's very reasonable, especially if extras are included, even if they are previously released.

I'm mad about lack of a true 3D version of part 3, and lack of new extras or at least some new behind-the-scenes footage. But I think the price is decent, even at full price.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #1052
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
My only hope for this set is the PQ is the best. I don't give a flying shit about extras and all that other bullshit. PQ is of the utmost important to me.
To you it might be bullshit, but to many fans the extras are gold. I cherish the extras in my alien box set as much as the films themselves - there's so much vintage shooting footage that it's almost like stepping back in time and being there while they film it. It's fascinating stuff for fans to see.

Of course picture quality is top concern, but I think extras provide a lot of value - I'm far, far more likely to buy a disc if I get some decent extras to extend the value and hours of entertainment, vs. a bare-bones release, unless the bare-bones release is a must-have title.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #1053
balthazar_bee balthazar_bee is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
balthazar_bee's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
But I can see why they did this - do you think that audiences today would have accepted it if Jason wasn't even the killer in the first reboot film? No way - people wanted to see Jason, even though he doesn't even do the killing in part 1 originally. And by that same token, do you think that people would have been happy watching Jason run around with a sack over his head the entire film? Of course not - people went to see Jason as we now know him, with his hockey mask. I like how they started off with the sack like the original and then eventually he found the mask part way through. I just don't love how he actually found it the way they did it.
This is all true, but if they were so desperate to cut to the chase, they shouldn't have been so slavish about showing audiences "the story so far".

I mean, it's called a "reboot" for a reason. If the creators wanted to blaze their own path, they might've been a bit more daring. Instead they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, it seems, but they manage to capture none of the charm or atmosphere of the series' first films.

I think that's what's so frustrating about the remake. They've got all these elements that should work -- I mean, it's not exactly rocket science -- but it falls utterly flat. Too many poorly written characters being acted into oblivion by people who look like they belong in Orange County, zero scares, zero mood, and no sense of pace.

If the next one's anything like this, better it's not made.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1054
24lakers 24lakers is offline
Member
 
Nov 2009
southeast u.s.
4
Default waiting til Black Friday week

even with a nice size gift card from Amazon, I'll wait for a drop in price on this one. I would hate to buy this now and come November see it priced for 50% off.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #1055
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
This is all true, but if they were so desperate to cut to the chase, they shouldn't have been so slavish about showing audiences "the story so far".

I mean, it's called a "reboot" for a reason. If the creators wanted to blaze their own path, they might've been a bit more daring. Instead they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, it seems, but they manage to capture none of the charm or atmosphere of the series' first films.

I think that's what's so frustrating about the remake. They've got all these elements that should work -- I mean, it's not exactly rocket science -- but it falls utterly flat. Too many poorly written characters being acted into oblivion by people who look like they belong in Orange County, zero scares, zero mood, and no sense of pace.

If the next one's anything like this, better it's not made.
I think a lot of modern horror films fail because of the casting or poorly written characters. I think the Best Friday the 13th films are the ones with the best characters.

I personally feel part 4 has some of the best characters of the series. I also enjoy part 5 due to some interesting characters, even though it's not even Jason. On the other hand, my girlfriend and I both think part 7 and 9 have the weakest characters, and it's no surprise how they're lower on our list, even though part 7 has some awesome Jason make-up effects.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #1056
Seymour Seymour is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Seymour's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
3231
360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I think a lot of modern horror films fail because of the casting or poorly written characters. I think the Best Friday the 13th films are the ones with the best characters.

I personally feel part 4 has some of the best characters of the series. I also enjoy part 5 due to some interesting characters, even though it's not even Jason. On the other hand, my girlfriend and I both think part 7 and 9 have the weakest characters, and it's no surprise how they're lower on our list, even though part 7 has some awesome Jason make-up effects.
Crazy talk. Terry Kiser as the slimy Dr. Crews? Melissa, the blond *****? That stoner dude she almost sleeps with to make Nick jealous? Classic characters, I say.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #1057
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Crazy talk. Terry Kiser as the slimy Dr. Crews? Melissa, the blond *****? That stoner dude she almost sleeps with to make Nick jealous? Classic characters, I say.
I did like the doctor - he was good. But Tina was a beat weak in the acting dept., and not very interesting.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1058
HarrisonJohn HarrisonJohn is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
The 7-hour documentary will have tons of awesome new interviews and clips. But will they have access to behind-the-scenes footage and test footage and cut scenes like Paramount does? It's likely to be an awesome documentary but still they can't show us behind-the-scenes footage like Paramount can because you know Paramount must have reels and reels of behind-the-scenes shooting footage.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/320...ew-friday-dvds

One of the long-time controversies that always surrounds the Special Edition DVD phenomenon is that studios release them, and then a few years later they somehow come up with new and better material to entice fans. Farrands wants to ensure fans that this isn’t the case with these editions.

Farrands said, “The reality is that back when these movies were being made, home video was just getting started so no one had the foresight to think that all this extra film was going to be of use in the future. DVD hadn’t even been dreamt of yet, so unfortunately a lot of the materials from some of the Friday flms were either tossed out of the vault or destroyed.”

“Everything that could be salvaged is on these discs, and there isn’t anything beyond what you’ll find in the special features unless the missing footage is living in some guy’s garage somewhere. Paramount gave us everything and held nothing back because they know how passionate the horror community is,” Farrands added.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #1059
RyanPom RyanPom is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jun 2013
236
1373
Default

I'd love to see a reunion movie with all the surviving females, the 2 guys from Part 2 that lived, etc, and anyone else come back to Crystal Lake to try and get their revenge on Jason.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1060
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Dec 2011
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonJohn View Post
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/320...ew-friday-dvds

One of the long-time controversies that always surrounds the Special Edition DVD phenomenon is that studios release them, and then a few years later they somehow come up with new and better material to entice fans. Farrands wants to ensure fans that this isn’t the case with these editions.

Farrands said, “The reality is that back when these movies were being made, home video was just getting started so no one had the foresight to think that all this extra film was going to be of use in the future. DVD hadn’t even been dreamt of yet, so unfortunately a lot of the materials from some of the Friday flms were either tossed out of the vault or destroyed.”

“Everything that could be salvaged is on these discs, and there isn’t anything beyond what you’ll find in the special features unless the missing footage is living in some guy’s garage somewhere. Paramount gave us everything and held nothing back because they know how passionate the horror community is,” Farrands added.
If this is indeed the case then we obviously can't fault Paramount/Warner for not giving us what they don't have.

We can still fault them however for not providing a 3D blu-ray in true blu-ray 3D format. That much they can do - and considering they knew they had no other new bonus materials to offer us, I think it's lousy for them to hold back on a proper 3D version and stick us with the old anaglph.
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.