Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.16
10 hrs ago
G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.85
46 min ago
47 Ronin 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.51

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$75.99
22 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.77

Under the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.31

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Blu-ray)
$14.61
4 hrs ago
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Sanctum 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.18

Dolphins and Whales: Tribes of the Ocean 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.00

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.82

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.27
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 03-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
oh it's entertaining, but light on plot or the depth of say Pixar quality script writing - although the 'song' about Pi was pretty funny. Not only were these two kids at my screening screaming randomly at points during the movie but at one time one was jumping up and down on the recliner's arm but one also ran in between the row I happened to be sitting in, oh the evil thought of tripping the kid or hurling some of my popcorn at the tyke's head was tempting.

Thanks! Good to hear it's at least entertaining.
Would the 3D in Wonder Park be comparable to animated 3D films from Dreamworks maybe? They have offered a number of films with medium to strong 3D in theaters, when thinking about The Guardians, Madagascar 3, The Croods, etc.
Yeah, definitely not easy to watch a movie with all those distractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister VistaVision View Post
My local AMC has 4 3D showings a day for the first week. I'll be going to the first showing on Tuesday and hopefully all the kids will be in school and most adults will be at work. I'm hoping for some good on-ride coaster footage in 3D.
Good to hear you have a theater playing this in 3D. I can imagine some nice 3D scenery in the film and for the theme park.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #22
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Saw it in 2D yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Going to see it in 3D next week. The beginning of the movie was made for 3D I could tell.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #23
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Saw it in 2D yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Going to see it in 3D next week. The beginning of the movie was made for 3D I could tell.
Interested in hearing your 3D thoughts Chaotic.
I had to see it in 2D as there was no 3D version at any of my theaters. The theater was packed to my surprise for this film. I guess the theme park concept is what got them into theaters.

The film is interesting, but I definitely like the aspect of the Mother/Daughter theme and how it connected to the story emotionally. They should've offered a stronger link to that throughout the film for a bigger impact on the audience. Even so, an interesting, generally entertaining movie with great animation and visual design.

I really enjoyed that home made roller coaster scene in the beginning. Fast paced action with great camera angles for 3D. In the theme park itself, I wish they went on all the rides in full, individually, but that didn't happen.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Saw it last night at the only theater nearby to thankfully do 4 3D showings a day (the others were basically just one 3D showing, and then at Regals and other non AMC theaters, no 3D at all from what I could see). And it’s a shame the 3D release is so limited as it seemed made for that format with a lot of strong 3D sequences (it starts early on with the homemade ride probably being my favorite, but are there throughout the film) and some nice pop outs.

The movie was a pretty mixed bag though, the visuals and mother-daughter storyline were nice, but the other characters and writing in general seemed subpar.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #25

Jul 2012

I thought the movie was cute and it moves at a swift pace so this (soon to be)
46 year old never felt bored. Wonder Park is a must for 3-D fans with bright,
colorful animation and excellent depth. The Zero-G land sequence was my
personal favorite with the golden pen floating off the screen a few times. I noticed cinematographer Dan Mindel (SW:The Force Awakens, John Carter and
so on) served as visual consultant in much the same way Roger Deakins
worked on the How to Train Your Dragon movies.
Since it performed above expectations, maybe Nickelodeon will give Paramount
the finger and give us a 3-D Blu somewhere in the world.
Thanks given by:
Chaotic (03-17-2019), Zivouhr (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #26
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
Saw it last night at the only theater nearby to thankfully do 4 3D showings a day (the others were basically just one 3D showing, and then at Regals and other non AMC theaters, no 3D at all from what I could see). And itís a shame the 3D release is so limited as it seemed made for that format with a lot of strong 3D sequences (it starts early on with the homemade ride probably being my favorite, but are there throughout the film) and some nice pop outs.

The movie was a pretty mixed bag though, the visuals and mother-daughter storyline were nice, but the other characters and writing in general seemed subpar.
Thanks XBS. Strong 3D sequences sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ttD View Post
I thought the movie was cute and it moves at a swift pace so this (soon to be)
46 year old never felt bored. Wonder Park is a must for 3-D fans with bright,
colorful animation and excellent depth. The Zero-G land sequence was my
personal favorite with the golden pen floating off the screen a few times. I noticed cinematographer Dan Mindel (SW:The Force Awakens, John Carter and
so on) served as visual consultant in much the same way Roger Deakins
worked on the How to Train Your Dragon movies.
Since it performed above expectations, maybe Nickelodeon will give Paramount
the finger and give us a 3-D Blu somewhere in the world.
Thanks for the details. Yeah, hopefully a blu ray 3D for WonderPark.

------
Wonder Park

Domestic Total as of Mar. 17, 2019: $16,000,000 (Estimate)
Distributor: Paramount Release Date: March 15, 2019
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 26 min.
MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget: N/A

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $16,000,000 78.8%
+ Foreign: $4,300,000 21.2%
= Worldwide: $20,300,000
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thanks XBS. Strong 3D sequences sounds good.

Thanks for the details. Yeah, hopefully a blu ray 3D for WonderPark.

------
Wonder Park

Domestic Total as of Mar. 17, 2019: $16,000,000 (Estimate)
Distributor: Paramount Release Date: March 15, 2019
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 26 min.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $16,000,000 78.8%
+ Foreign: $4,300,000 21.2%
= Worldwide: $20,300,000
Based on estimated 100M Budget -- I'm not holding my breath fo one.
Only $200+M to the breakeven mark

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Wo...9)#tab=summary
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #28
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Based on estimated 100M Budget -- I'm not holding my breath fo one.
Only $200+M to the breakeven mark

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Wo...9)#tab=summary
Wow, a 100 million budget to create Wonderpark? That's too much. It may have had to do with what I heard about the prior director being canned midway or something, which tends to inflate the budget due to the adjustment. But yeah, that's a weak opening for such a high budget.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Wow, a 100 million budget to create Wonderpark? That's too much. It may have had to do with what I heard about the prior director being canned midway or something, which tends to inflate the budget due to the adjustment. But yeah, that's a weak opening for such a high budget.
It hard to make an animated full length computer generated film for a lot less than that -- esp 3D and with a decent marketing campaign on top of it. Massive amounts of computer time and a literal army of specially trained computer people to run them.

Smallfoot 80M
Lego Movie 2 100M
Ferdinand 110M
Rio 90M
Bee Movie 150M

The Ice Age film 100+
Shreks sequels 150+ ea
Despicable Me 2 75M
Madagascar 3 150M
Home, Turbo, Boss Baby -- 130M each

The Book of Life 50M

Toy Story 3 and Monsters University 200M+

Spider-verse - 90M

Now -- even going backwards to intentionally low quality animation style -- Captain Underpants 40M. Low quality/Limited animation style, outsources everything to the cheapest source they could legitimately use.

Sausage Party 20M dumping just about everything and apparently may have violated all sorts of labor laws resulting in more than one lawsuit from the creators claiming they were worked way beyond their contracted time and overtime with no pay.

Son of Bigfoot by the Belgium company -- $20M is one of the cheapest recent movies I can find.

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...t-so-much.html

Go back to Chicken Run stop motion without all the massive computer effects and it was 25M in 2000 dollars. Curse of the Were-Rabbit 30M in 2005.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #30

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Saw it today with the kids. As others have said does have some nice pop outs. One example someone vomits and it splatters out and sticks on the screen in mid air.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #31
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

With computer animation, it definitely takes time to animate a film and then render it with the render farms, with twice as much rendering for stereo 3D/dual images, so I can understand the higher costs.

I'm thinking of smaller studios that can create impressive looking films for $20 million or so, but then if they're outsourcing a lot of the work to lower paid animation studios, that would explain it in those situations.

Quote:
Son of Bigfoot by the Belgium company -- $20M is one of the cheapest recent movies I can find.
NWave made Son of Bigfoot for $20 million? Their films look great IMO.
The Son of Bigfoot- NWave
Domestic Total Gross: $289,308
Distributor: Viva Pictures Distribution Release Date: March 30, 2018
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 32 min.
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $289,308 0.6%
+ Foreign: $46,756,973 99.4%
= Worldwide: $47,046,281

The Wild Life (2016) / Robinson Crusoe - NWave
Domestic Total Gross: $8,005,586
Distributor: Lionsgate/Summit Release Date: September 9, 2016
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 30 min.
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $8,005,586 20.2%
+ Foreign: $31,537,995 79.8%
= Worldwide: $39,543,581

Schiltzamania, how would you rate the 3D layers in WonderPark 3D? Mild, medium, strong or a mix?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #32

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
With computer animation, it definitely takes time to animate a film and then render it with the render farms, with twice as much rendering for stereo 3D/dual images, so I can understand the higher costs.

I'm thinking of smaller studios that can create impressive looking films for $20 million or so, but then if they're outsourcing a lot of the work to lower paid animation studios, that would explain it in those situations.

NWave made Son of Bigfoot for $20 million? Their films look great IMO.
The Son of Bigfoot- NWave
Domestic Total Gross: $289,308
Distributor: Viva Pictures Distribution Release Date: March 30, 2018
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 32 min.
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $289,308 0.6%
+ Foreign: $46,756,973 99.4%
= Worldwide: $47,046,281

The Wild Life (2016) / Robinson Crusoe - NWave
Domestic Total Gross: $8,005,586
Distributor: Lionsgate/Summit Release Date: September 9, 2016
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 30 min.
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $8,005,586 20.2%
+ Foreign: $31,537,995 79.8%
= Worldwide: $39,543,581

Schiltzamania, how would you rate the 3D layers in WonderPark 3D? Mild, medium, strong or a mix?
I would say medium throughout with some strong scenes mixed in but more so in the beginning and end of the film. I'm also confused by the title of the movie. I'm pretty sure it's called wonderland throughout the entire movie.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
I would say medium throughout with some strong scenes mixed in but more so in the beginning and end of the film. I'm also confused by the title of the movie. I'm pretty sure it's called wonderland throughout the entire movie.
I'm going to guess Wonderland might have given Disney a bit of a pause plus almost definitely would have given many customers that idea.
Thanks given by:
Wootini (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #34

Aug 2014

I very nearly got a private screening of this yesterday until another guy came in and sat in the back. (It was a Thursday afternoon so all the kids should be in school!)

I wasn't expecting much from the story, and I didn't get much. The basic concept of the story is solid, but I think the script could've used a few more passes. But the reason I wanted to see this is because the trailer looked so good in 3D. And with my AMC A-List, I'll see almost anything to justify my monthly subscription. Especially since it includes 3D!

I was disappointed that none of the trailers were in 3D, but the movie made up for it. The depth is medium throughout with some really nice stronger moments with popouts. There's the obvious ones like the paper or pen floating out of the screen, and more subtle ones like the aunt and uncle's faces pushing out at you and the boar character's snout extending from the screen a bit. The two sequences with roller coaster rides were especially effective in POV shots, and I wish there had been more of that with the other rides.

I can't say I'd recommend Wonder Park in general, but if you can get a cheap matinee ticket (or have a subscription like A-List) the 3D is worth checking out.
Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (03-22-2019), br3ttD (03-22-2019), Paul H (03-22-2019), pickit60 (03-22-2019)
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

I thought the 3D was excellent on this film. Would be such a shame if it doesn’t get a 3D Blu-ray. Fingers crossed.
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
I thought the 3D was excellent on this film. Would be such a shame if it doesnít get a 3D Blu-ray. Fingers crossed.
Paramount donít do 3D Blu-ray anymore so...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies