Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99
7 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
16 hrs ago
The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57
7 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2012
KY
Default Studios reusing UPC codes!

Why are the studios reusing UPC codes when they re-release a movie that has different specs!??? Recent examples... Coraline 3D without the Digital copy uses the same UPC as the previous version with the Digital copy. Green Lantern 3D... I just picked this up tonight, and the version I got doesn't include either the Digital copy or DVD! And right on the front cover is the following statement, "Theatrical and Extended cut versions on 2D Blu-ray Disc. Theatrical version only on Blu-ray 3D disc and DVD." Doesn't that imply it comes with the DVD? And of course, it uses the same UPC as the previous version that did come with the DVD and Digital copy.

This practice causes a lot of confusion, especially with retailers and third party sellers on Marketplace and eBay! Both versions are now mixed together, and most of the time the pictures, specs and descriptions don't match, especially on Amazon!

What the heck are they thinking???
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

There is a nominal fee for each unique UPC code you use. Retailers also don't want multiple skus floating around in their systems, mostly because their employees have trouble managing more than one UPC for each movie. It's a horrible system that is harmful to the consumer, but studios stopped being customer-centric years ago.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2012
KY

Yeah, I actually knew the answer... It was more of a rhetorical rant than anything. But you would think they would reuse some really old UPC to avoid the confusion among consumers, but I guess the average consumer probably never even thinks about a UPC code!

Also, why do they issue new UPC codes for some re-releases, but not others? The new version of Despicable Me 3D without digital copy uses a different UPC than the previous version with digital, yet Coraline 3D reuses the UPC and they are both Universal. No standard at all!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America