Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Possessor 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.49

Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.46
7 hrs ago
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
Prince of Darkness 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Hocus Pocus 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.95
8 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Coming to America 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.11
11 hrs ago
Tremors 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
20 hrs ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$92.29

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 10-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #4801

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It's about four times the cost
Yes, assuming it's rendered in 4K instead of 2K, meaning 4x amount of pixels. And also assuming we're transported back in time 20 years when LOTR was produced, when it comes to how much GPU computing power costs.

In reality we're living on 2020 though, where you can get immensely much more GPU resources per dollar than 20 years ago.

Just to give you a rough idea, here's how transistor density for nVidias main GPUs have evolved over time, which correlates with GPU processing power (not exactly but still the trend is clear):

Quote:
not to mention getting the right people to supervise it.
Perhaps for completely new VFX, but for a re-render of existing VFX models not at all as much supervision will be needed. Also, we should take into account the huge profits made from the LOTR trilogy. In comparison to that it's peanuts.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #4802
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerclay View Post
What the hell dudes?! My wifey thinks those blues on the shelves look stunningly beatiful in the living room and is a part of interior designs!
Funny my wife thinks im crazy for buying Blus, then when the cable goes out its like O i have something to watch.... YEAH NO SHIT!
Thanks given by:
jerclay (10-21-2020), Mobe1969 (10-21-2020), nichart (Yesterday), woodley56 (Yesterday)
Old 10-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #4803
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Some shots in Matrix 1 weren't great but some looked amazing, that was more the quality of the VFX in general rather than how many K's it has, and no amount of resolution can help the rubbery digital doubles in the sequels.
Not expecting for rubbery digital doubles to look alive in 4K (they don't on the Matrix sequels either), but it will be interesting how much resolution they will be able to extract from the materials. In case of The Matrix trilogy, especially the sequels, the difference was substantial.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #4804
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Perhaps for completely new VFX, but for a re-render of existing VFX models not at all as much supervision will be needed. Also, we should take into account the huge profits made from the LOTR trilogy. In comparison to that it's peanuts.
Unfortunately movie studios don't keep their profits in separate piles, there's no The Lord of the Rings keep with Smaug sitting around counting it's gold pieces.

No bean counter will say, "We made a billion bucks on this picture let's throw another $50 million in for new effects, the old girl's worth it and deserves it"!

Otherwise, I'd be spending my evening watching Deep Space Nine in High Definition.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-21-2020), gkolb (10-21-2020), Indiana Jones (Yesterday), rotatingfish (10-21-2020), StrayButler91 (Yesterday)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #4805

Apr 2019

Quote:
Just to give you a rough idea, here's how transistor density for nVidias main GPUs have evolved over time, which correlates with GPU processing power (not exactly but still the trend is clear):

[Graph showing million transistors per mm2 chip die area over time]
I found another graph showing actual GPU processing power over time too:

Matches the trend of the previous graph quite well, but the increase in GFLOPS/s is even more staggering, and still the x-axis ends at year 2014 and not 2020. Truly impressive!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #4806

Jul 2020

Quote:
I found another graph showing actual GPU processing power over time too:

Matches the trend of the previous graph quite well, but the increase in GFLOPS/s is even more staggering, and still the x-axis ends at year 2014 and not 2020. Truly impressive!
If you were to extend that axis out to the newest GTX3080 which has just come out then you'd be looking at a data point 6x off the scale at nearly 30,000.
Thanks given by:
Fjodor2000 (Yesterday)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #4807

Oct 2020

Anybody know why there’s no longer any pictures for the Best Buy sets? Chernobyl steelbook pic disappeared too so not LOtR/Hobbit specific.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #4808
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
As I've said already, over and over again, we should be thankful we're getting a 4K rebuild AT ALL so all this hand-wringing over the VFX (by people obsessed with stats and numbers, what a surprise) isn't seeing the forest for the trees. Besides, we don't even know what it looks like compared to the 1st gen footage so people should calm their tits until they've seen it at least - crazy notion, I know.
Oh yes. In the case of LoTR all the more so given the rather nasty DNR, ringing and other processing that TTT and RoTK had baked into its DI. I think this is going to be great, just keep dat grain and I'm a happy wolfy
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-21-2020), SpaceUnicorn9 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #4809
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaluigi24 View Post
Iím not sure, but I think the French track is included in the U.S. release, theatrical and extended.
Is the French French dub the same as the Canadian French dub for LOTR?
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #4810
Expert Member

May 2020
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowafilmfanatic View Post
Anybody know why there’s no longer any pictures for the Best Buy sets? Chernobyl steelbook pic disappeared too so not LOtR/Hobbit specific.
This is the case with multiple preorders on Bestbuy's site at the moment. It's most likely simply a technical issue.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #4811

Apr 2019

Quote:
Unfortunately movie studios don't keep their profits in separate piles, there's no The Lord of the Rings keep with Smaug sitting around counting it's gold pieces.
What I meant was mainly that it's an indication of the success of the LOTR movies. We obviously do not have any sales figures for the 4K BDs since it's not released yet, so there are profit numbers available for that. But the profit made from the original movie releases should be a pretty good indicator of that the 4K BD will make a lot more profit than the average 4K BD. The 4K remastering budget will most likely also be much bigger than average.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #4812

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutt View Post
Is the French French dub the same as the Canadian French dub for LOTR?
Yes. All six movies were never dubbed in French Canadian, so both Canada and France have the same dub.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #4813

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan McLeod View Post
If you were to extend that axis out to the newest GTX3080 which has just come out then you'd be looking at a data point 6x off the scale at nearly 30,000.
Yes, it's really spectacular! I would not be surprised if the GTX 3080 for $799 even can re-render the VFX for LOTR in real-time at 4K/24Hz with better quality than was in the original 2K release. Speaks volumes about the GPU progress over the last two decades.
Thanks given by:
Pagey123 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:30 AM   #4814

Mar 2011

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B08J8XCSQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5xIKFbVNZ4JS1

What in the actual hell????
Is Amazon Mexico actually releasing the steelbooks but as a standar bluray edition and on October 30???
I mean, I thought it was 4K but the covers actually say just bluray. I’m inclined to think the info is just all wrong and its actually the 4K edition, but what if is right?

This is so confusing!

Last edited by Oscarilbo; Today at 12:39 AM.
Thanks given by:
Everan (Today)
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #4815

May 2013
a state of decay

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-L...lu-ray/278517/
Quote:
Discs
4K Ultra HD
Blu-ray Disc
Nine-disc set (9 BD-100)
YES!!! It looks like I was correct in my guess that these would be BD-100 discs!
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #4816

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B08J8XCSQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5xIKFbVNZ4JS1

What in the actual hell????
Is Amazon Mexico actually releasing the steelbooks but as a standar bluray edition and on October 30???
I mean, I thought it was 4K but the covers actually say just bluray. I’m inclined to think the info is just all wrong and its actually the 4K edition, but what if is right?

This is so confusing!
Yup, same with the Hobbit. https://www.amazon.com.mx/El-Hobbit-.../dp/B08HWKTXJH

NTSC Bluray, Steelbook, but doesn't even state theatrical or extended.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies