Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.97
8 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

The Little Mermaid 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.88
2 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Hell Fest 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.66

The Birth of a Nation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy Animated 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Field of Dreams 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.20
21 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #561
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Glad I'm not the only one unimpressed by the UHD transfer.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #562

Dec 2014

Yikes! Nearly bought this last night. Glad I held off!

Such a shame that the UHD has a blanket tint. I remember it looking quite nice at the cinema and it's frustrating that between the BD and UHD we don't seem to have access to a decent representation of the DCP.

I wonder if the HDR10+ layer makes any difference?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #563
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga84 View Post
Yikes! Nearly bought this last night. Glad I held off!

Such a shame that the UHD has a blanket tint. I remember it looking quite nice at the cinema and it's frustrating that between the BD and UHD we don't seem to have access to a decent representation of the DCP.

I wonder if the HDR10+ layer makes any difference?
It may not up to Geoff's magnified 20-20 vision sky high standards but judge by your eyes and experience.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #564
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

BTW I do realise that I'm the one usually not caring about creative intent being thrown out the window when it comes to home video versions being revisionist as ****, but I'm usually so sanguine about it because A) I wasn't around when most of my classic favourites were released in cinemas and 2) I don't get out much to the cinema to see modern stuff anyway. But having seen BoRhap twice in quick succession at the same screen I got a very good handle on what it looked like, and one of the reasons why I went back again was because I loved the photography as much as anything else in the movie e.g. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...9#post16104859.

This UHD does not do a great job of representing that theatrical look IMO. It's fine in itself on a technical magnified 20-20 vision sky high standards kinda deal (boy, isn't context fun!), as it's got moar detales and hylites and whatnot, but it's too much of a deviation from intent for my liking.
Thanks given by:
bga84 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #565
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Watched this in full with the sound cranked up (I literally blew the dust off of my AVR) and the green dialled back (using the white balance controls as previously mentioned) and I enjoyed the SHIT out of it. Visually speaking that's much more like the presentation I remember seeing, lots of teal and gold but not a suffocating green drench, and I guess I'll just have to live with the expanded highlight range . As much as I dig the first section with its lovely halated lighting I love the switch to Alexa 65 (which happens when they go on TOTP, along with some actual BetaCam!) as it gives the imagery this rich large format feel, with that portraiture-esque rendering of faces and shallow depth of field. Gorgeous.

So many moments sent shivers down my spine, and that's not just a play on Bohemian Rhapsody da song but the actual reality, I had goosepimples all over when watching the Live Aid bit. It's a stupendously entertaining piece of popular cinema.

I watched the extended Live Aid skit afterwards, and while I wouldn't have complained if the film version was similarly complete I don't think the final version suffers with those two numbers taken out, it maintains the pacing of the film and doesn't let that final bit become an entity unto itself.
Thanks given by:
andreasy969 (03-06-2019), Daz_85 (03-05-2019), JoeDeM (03-14-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #566
Special Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I hate the colour on the UHD, that green tint is so obnoxious. It's not that the movie didn't have teal accents in the DCP that I saw (twice) because it did, it was very much that typical kind of gold and teal look for the early part of the film - but it didn't suffocate the whole image with a blanket green tint. Even the HDR is something that I'm torn between, usually I'm gushing all over moar hylites but the deliberately 'overexposed' look of the brighter parts of the image with gentle halation (caused by using some netting on the back of the lens) that looked so gorgeous in the DCP is something a bit different in the UHD with all that highlight detail brought back. Hmmm.

The 1080p Blu-ray loses the tint and the highlights are far more in keeping with the theatrical look that I fell in love with, but it lacks the sheer richness of the colour from the DCP. The UHD has more of that richness for sure, but even that gorgeous golden look is perverted by the green tint. Blech.

I have never done this before - and I really do mean never, unlike steel breeze with his database of alterations! - but I tried altering the 2-point white balance on the TV to reduce some of the green in the UHD, dialling down the green Gain and Bias by 5 points each, and at first glance it works very well. The teal accents are still there, as they should be, but with the green reduced it allows the golden hues to look richer and skin tones aren't fighting a war between gold and green any more.
ugh, a shame if true

can't fathom why they'd go and muddle with the color balance when they have fresh theatrical DCP right on hand, why on Earth should something still in theaters look a different color at home???

and I do wonder a bit about adding far more HDR than seen in theaters, in some cases maybe amazing, but in other cases it might not have been shot for such a look
Old 03-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #567
Special Member

Feb 2012

I really liked this film a lot.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #568
Special Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
There is nothing that surpassed X-Men and X2: X-Men United. Not in terms of comic book movies. They are still the gold standard for their genre.
for sure:
Superman
Wonder Woman
also:
Ant-Man
Ant-Man & The Wasp
GOTG
GOTG2
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #569
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Looked lovely to me, and sounded great, but I don't sit around comparing blu-rays to theater etc... Stopped spending my money there and just watch at home on UHD with a calibrated system. So, looked great, great movie and enjoyed the audio. Peace.
Thanks given by:
ewsjr (03-14-2019), FreddyC (03-14-2019), stigdu (03-11-2019), TravisTylerBlack (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #570

Mar 2011
Pacific Northwest

I have no issues with the way the 4K looked or sounded. I do have issues with the movie itself. It is VERY clear this movie was made for people who know nothing about the band, since most of the content is complete bullshit. It obviously was not made for their longtime fans like me . This movie is 100% fiction. Enjoy the fantasy, because this is not how it all went down from 1970 to 1985. It seems they want to increase their royalties by making Queen relevant to the young generations, and it looks like they have succeeded nicely.

I still love them though.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #571
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

It worked lol. Was streaming the soundtrack at work for a few days after seeing the movie. (It’s on Prime Music btw.)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #572
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

After reading how great the sound was supposed to be, I was rather disappointed. Couldn't even tell it was Atmos for most of it. At least it made the Live Aid bit come to life all the more when it all kicked in. Maybe the disc reviews just left me with unrealistic expectations.

Was also a bit disappointed with the HDR. Just looked like SDR with the OLED light cranked right up. I wonder if this is an issue with backwards compatability on HDR10+ implemenation? I can only view the HDR10 layer.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #573
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

All you're missing is the dynamic metadata. That's it. This isn't like like Dolby Vision where there's (sometimes) a separate enhancement layer that's combined with the base layer.

[edit]

Did you try the 'dynamic tone mapping' feature (which is in-house mapping, not from content-derived metadata) on your OLED to see what it looked like?

Last edited by Geoff D; 03-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #574

Aug 2018

sounded pretty good in Atmos to me. My theater was rocking!
Much better than any Disney soundtrack- I see that thread got deleted...too funny

Last edited by thetman; 03-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #575
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Yeah I had no problems with the audio, just the video/HDR wasn't anything great. Then again, aside from Drive, I've never thought much of Newton Thomas Sigel as a DP.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #576
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Don't get me wrong, it was a good soundtrack with some nice use of the available speakers, just not the absolutely amazing Atmos and surround mix I was led to believe from reviews. I think they just over-egged the good bits - after all, a lot of it doesn't lend itself to big soundscapes and is more intimate. I don't think there's any argument that the impressive set-pieces are the music recording sessions and Live Aid, but they are just a small part of the films runtime overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Did you try the 'dynamic tone mapping' feature (which is in-house mapping, not from content-derived metadata) on your OLED to see what it looked like?
Yes, I have that on by default for HDR10.

Maybe it was the green murkiness that was getting to me, but I can't define that in any way comparatively as I never saw it theatrically. Yet I don't have issue with the stylised murkiness of Shape of the Water for example which still shone in HDR10, so I dunno. With Bohemian Rhapsody I just felt I was watching a great 4K image with meh HDR.

Last edited by oddbox83; 03-14-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #577
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

IMO there's some quite keen HDR there, not in a Sony-style extreme brightness kinda way but more of a natural expansion of the highlights vs the SDR disc (much like El Royale was vs the SDR) which is nicely documented in Andreas' caps thread. But that green tint is downright murderous and I can appreciate why it's putting people off.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #578
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

In-depth review:

https://www.hdnumerique.com/dossiers...-rhapsody.html
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 AM   #579
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'd completely forgotten about that site. Always loved their comparisons, they just didn't do a lot of them.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #580

Jun 2012

Got a chance to watch this last night as a blind buy. I'm a Queen fan but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. A big enough fan to have all of their albums though.

I enjoyed it overall but mostly as an acting showcase for Rami Malek. The movie itself was engaging and enjoyable but honestly, not a lot really happened. It was very safe and formulaic. No real surprises or dirt and flat out inccurate moments.

It reminded me a bit of Dragon the Bruce Lee Story and Straight Outta Compton. Both good and competent but sugar coated Hollywood biopics.

I'm happy with it overall just because the acting was so good. It was like watching the real band.

As for the 4k, it's noting special. It's 4k and sharp but a lot of indoor and dark scenes with natural lighting. It's no showcase. Sound wise, I thought it was very good and did not disappoint.

7/10
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies