Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
3 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
6 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
7 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
7 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
19 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
4 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
Shenandoah (Blu-ray)
$16.59
6 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 10-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I mean no disrespect when I say this but if this is your third job and you're still not happy, maybe it's not the job that's the problem. It's possible you're being unrealistic in setting your expectations. No job is going to be perfect. They all have good days and bad days.
Well the fact of the matter is I'm stressed as hell just from having a job alone. Many people take on a full time job and supporting a big family as well and somehow, manage to be ok. With me, I'm on the verge of collapsing just because I work too damn much!

This is why I'm looking to become a security guard or doorman. My family think I'm nuts for considering such a route in life, but oh man, those types of jobs are probably sooo easy!

And by the way, every job I go to has very high turnover. If the problem were me, then these companies wouldn't be having the turnover they are having.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #42
Power Member

Oct 2008

My advice would be to try and find an industry accounting position. Get out of public. Get a job where your company is the client. This might be what you're looking for. I recall you stated you were a senior and you have your CPA. Depending on the industry, you should not have a difficult time finding a job. Did you start at a Big Four? If you did, then it is even easier.

I have a Big Four under my belt and when I put my resume out, the calls and emails wouldn't stop.

If you're that miserable and you're not paid well (according to you), it's time to move on. And if this is your third public accounting position and you still hate it, it's time to get out. I'm telling you, man. I get out at 5pm and sometimes I have no idea what to do with my time.

You and I have the same journey. I feel your pain. Every single ounce of it.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Well the fact of the matter is I'm stressed as hell just from having a job alone. Many people take on a full time job and supporting a big family as well and somehow, manage to be ok. With me, I'm on the verge of collapsing just because I work too damn much!

This is why I'm looking to become a security guard or doorman. My family think I'm nuts for considering such a route in life, but oh man, those types of jobs are probably sooo easy!

And by the way, every job I go to has very high turnover. If the problem were me, then these companies wouldn't be having the turnover they are having.
So let's take a look at your response. You say your stressed and you say that's because you're working too much. First of all, every job has stress so if you're looking for a stress free job, you'll never find it because it doesn't exist. The key is learning to manage the stress that you feel. It's a pretty good guess to say that you're not doing that very well, if at all. Now, you say you're working too many hours. What have you done to fix that? Again, it's a pretty good guess to say that you haven't done anything. Have your looked at the labour laws to see if the hours they have your working are even legal. If they aren't report them and get it fixed. Lastly, your solution is to become a doorman because it's "soo easy." Right there you are setting yourself up for failure. If you get this job, you are going in with a preconceived notion of what the job will be like and when it isn't like that, which I guarantee it won't be, you'll just be miserable doing a different job.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #44
Power Member

Oct 2008

I don't know about MrHT's stress management but I can tell you there are no labor laws where he and I live which protect us from working "too many hours". It's the nature of the business.

The best way to manage the stress for me was my team. I had the best teams ever and while working so many hours was pure misery, we all got along and helped each other out to get through it.

Ahhhh thinking back on those days.... I kind of miss my peeps.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (10-23-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
I don't know about MrHT's stress management but I can tell you there are no labor laws where he and I live which protect us from working "too many hours". It's the nature of the business.

The best way to manage the stress for me was my team. I had the best teams ever and while working so many hours was pure misery, we all got along and helped each other out to get through it.

Ahhhh thinking back on those days.... I kind of miss my peeps.
Wow. If I was living somewhere without labour laws to protect me, I'd be moving as soon as I could.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Well I can definitely name some pros about my current job. For one thing, my current boss such a nice guy! At my previous job, my boss was such a jerk and made me miserable every working day. But my boss now is the complete opposite. However, we work for a very demanding client that expects a lot from us making it hard to work shorter hours and even finding a decent time to even take vacation. I've worked at this job for a year already and only took two days off. I have three weeks left to take, which thankfully due to the current pandemic, my company is rolling over any unused time to next year. But still, if I couldn't find a decent time to take a few weeks off this year, I don't see how taking the extra accumulated time off next year is going to happen.

At least with my last job, there were a few months out of the year that were slow and I was able to take 1-2 weeks here and there. But then again, like I said, my boss was just a complete jerk and was a horrible manager. If my current boss was my boss at my last job, I would've been happier. But seems like with every job, there are trade offs. And I certainly don't regret leaving my last job. As stressful as my current job is, nothing beats the terror and hell I went through at my last job.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #47
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Wow. If I was living somewhere without labour laws to protect me, I'd be moving as soon as I could.
Unfortunately, our line of work and finance are typically considered exempt employees who not only are not protected by any labor laws about hours worked but also that none of us are eligible for overtime. Some of us do get overtime but it is not required. I have worked 115+ hour weeks for three months and got zero overtime pay. Just a pat on the back and a thanks.

Those of us in finance already know the stakes and understand the expectations of our profession.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:06 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Unfortunately, our line of work and finance are typically considered exempt employees who not only are not protected by any labor laws about hours worked but also that none of us are eligible for overtime. Some of us do get overtime but it is not required. I have worked 115+ hour weeks for three months and got zero overtime pay. Just a pat on the back and a thanks.

Those of us in finance already know the stakes and understand the expectations of our profession.
Yup and doormen get paid for any overtime shifts. So is it still surprising that I want to change to that kind of job??
Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:

That is nuts!
Like HH said, you need some realistic labour laws.
Myself, I'd never work those hours w/o o.t. Actually, I doubt I would stay in an occupation that requires that.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
That is nuts!
Like HH said, you need some realistic labour laws.
Myself, I'd never work those hours w/o o.t. Actually, I doubt I would stay in an occupation that requires that.
Even if we did have labor laws, can it be enforced? I'm pretty sure, by law, full time employees are required to give you at least 30 minute lunch breaks here in NY. Yet at my previous job, my boss was such a jerk with lunch break and gave me a hard time when I stepped away for lunch, to the point where it felt like I wasn't allowed to take a break. So I just had to bring my own lunch and eat at my desk without any break.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Even if we did have labor laws, can it be enforced? I'm pretty sure, by law, full time employees are required to give you at least 30 minute lunch breaks here in NY. Yet at my previous job, my boss was such a jerk with lunch break and gave me a hard time when I stepped away for lunch, to the point where it felt like I wasn't allowed to take a break. So I just had to bring my own lunch and eat at my desk without any break.
Labour laws absolutely can be enforced. If you're working at a place where they aren't being followed, go to the union if you have one. If you don't have one, find out who you report to and report them. It's illegal and they will get fined for not following the laws.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #52
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Damn, MrHT, I know this situation. I swear we have identical experiences in the past.

Based on what you said, I bet you could go to lunch. You can take your 30 minutes or hour. But, it would rub your boss the wrong way and would essentially be, what I learned, a "CLM" - a career-limiting move. Your boss would pretty much be in control of your promotion and you would just be stuck forever as an associate.

Now the kicker is this: everywhere I worked, it was up or out. If you didn't meet the career progression normally like Associate, Associate 2, Senior Associate, Sr. Associate 2, Sr. Associate 3, etc, you would just be fired.

So yea, I know that situation. You can be like "Screw you, I'm going to lunch." and then essentially flush your career at that firm if you piss off the right people, or you can suck it up and do what you did and stay below the radar.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Labour laws absolutely can be enforced. If you're working at a place where they aren't being followed, go to the union if you have one. If you don't have one, find out who you report to and report them. It's illegal and they will get fined for not following the laws.
But here's the thing, it's easy to say report your boss, but that will rub your boss the wrong way and could potentially ruin my career, as beefytwinkie said.

That's why I finally left after putting up with that jerk for over 6 years! It would have been nice to say what I thought of him on my last day at the job, but again, not good for my career.

The good news is, my boss at my current job is nice and doesn't care if I take a one hour lunch break. But the workload is more stressful and can be a bit intense at times. So while I'm allowed to take lunch, there may be occasional days where that is hard due to the intense workload I face during some days. But thankfully, it's not everyday and not my boss' fault; it's just the nature of the job, unfortunately. So while my treatment is better at my job now, the stress is still there. And that's why I'm still unhappy.

Last edited by MrHT; 10-23-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #54

Oct 2020

Making impossible movies such as these:

The Ester Foundation
Urban Folklore; Tomorrow Awakening; The Invasion Of The Hi-tech Warriors
Urban Folklore 2; Nightstand; The Post Of Destruction
Urban Folklore 3; Final Showdown; The Guardians From Outer Space
Urban Folklore 4; Suburbia Hi-Tech 2497
Urban Folklore 5; Tokyo Hi-Techra 2447
JAM Island
Island Of The Green Lagoon
Atlantis; Alien Supremacy
Atlantis 2; The New Era
Atlantis 3; The Stone Of Guya
Atlantis 4; Trouble In The Petra System
Nightjackers; Get Righted
Nightjackers 2; Code Nitran
Tikka Eroca; Evil Sorceress
Tikka Eroca 2; Galactic Greada Termination
Tikka Eroca 3; The Desert Oracle And The Arc Ice World
Tikka Eroca 4; The Sentinoids Retaliate

But I bettered it doing the Top Job and am now waiting for the profit results. I never really did any other job in my life....
Old 10-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #55
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Damn, MrHT, I know this situation. I swear we have identical experiences in the past.

Based on what you said, I bet you could go to lunch. You can take your 30 minutes or hour. But, it would rub your boss the wrong way and would essentially be, what I learned, a "CLM" - a career-limiting move. Your boss would pretty much be in control of your promotion and you would just be stuck forever as an associate.

Now the kicker is this: everywhere I worked, it was up or out. If you didn't meet the career progression normally like Associate, Associate 2, Senior Associate, Sr. Associate 2, Sr. Associate 3, etc, you would just be fired.

So yea, I know that situation. You can be like "Screw you, I'm going to lunch." and then essentially flush your career at that firm if you piss off the right people, or you can suck it up and do what you did and stay below the radar.
The funny thing is, they were paying me well too with great benefits. And I think that's the problem, they were paying me well, so that put me on a spot to feel intimated to stand up for myself. They know I wouldn't just walk out the door and say "screw you" because they were offering me so much.

As stressful as the accounting profession is and how crazy the work ethic can be, the good thing about it is how your salary consistently goes up. The thing with accounting is that the work is not easy nor are the accounting systems that companies use. Everything is complex. So as you become more experienced in your job, you become more and more irreplaceable and thus, companies feel compelled to give you raises so you don't have an incentive to leave for another job. Because it takes a lot to train a new person. Even if they have the accounting knowledge, each company has different systems they work with. So it's quite tedious when someone new comes on board.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #56
Expert Member

Oct 2016
Central California

My "dream" job would be an FBI Special Agent investigating the X-Files.

I've been working in distribution centers/logistics for about 7yrs, and I'm burnt out. I tried to turn it into a career, but the long hours, mandatory overtime, physical labor, and high-stress environments just don't cut it for me. You're worked like a slave in most cases with little reward other than "Well, you're getting a paycheck, right?" Not worth my health. You have little time to take vacation because of workload, and when you ask for days off, you get the stink eye. I've spent 6 of the last 7 years working night shifts (not by choice), and I couldn't do it any longer. It takes a serious toll on you.

In November of this year, I put in my two weeks notice (without anything lined up). I was promptly "separated from the company" a couple days later without notice....I showed up one night and my badge wouldn't unlock the front door. Security let me in and the operations manager came up and told me I was done. I handed over my badge and left. As I get to my car, I get a phone call from my mother saying she found a box on the front porch from the company. Turns out, they mailed me my final paperwork....instead of having to tell me in person. A lot of good that did.

So now I rest, unemployed and looking for work while I go to school online for my Bachelors degree. Not sure what I will do for a career, but there's no use stressing about it now. I've grown accustomed to the fact that my life is drastically different from how I envisioned it when I was younger.

(Sorry for bringing this thread back after over a month....just barely saw it and wanted to chime in)
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-03-2021)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
I’m only 35 and already can’t wait until I retire. It’s not that I dislike working so much, but it’s just too damn stressful and takes up too much of my time that I have little to no free time. I don’t even have a wife and kids to worry about and I’m already stressed out to no end all because of work. I’m hoping one day that I either win or inherit a lot of money so I don’t ever have to work again.
Boo hoo. A lot of us work full time and have a wife and kids.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about early retirement and it's an interesting dynamic. Nearly all of the wealthier people I've known do not want to retire and would not [retire] unless something such as serious illness forbid them to do so. I suppose it comes down to personality type as most are very driven type A people. Knew a family back home where I only saw the father once ever since he worked around a hundred hours per week and ran a very successful surgical practice; the home had multiple people staffed to keep the house and family in order. Seems most I've known who retired with means/money have ended up getting another job or starting a new business within a year or two. And even then, you never know. One of the hardest working guys I know was born in the 1940s and is still working around twelve hours per day or traveling around the country on business.

Last edited by meremortal; 12-27-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

I'm more like Peter from Office Space. I don't think I'll ever enjoy having an IT job, just need to find one that at least makes programming somewhat interesting again. When friends ask if I want to do outside projects, I decline because I want nothing to do with programming anymore outside office hours.

In the more realistic short term, I'd look for a job that goes back to normal (whenever that happens). Zero f**** given from companies now who love the idea of remote work and now want to continue 100% remote work for IT no matter what. All that talk about mental health over the years means nothing anymore I guess. Without the social aspect, work has become absolutely dreadful.

A dream would certainly be working for a professional racing team in an IT capacity. Medical wouldn't be dream level, but cool as well.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Boo hoo. A lot of us work full time and have a wife and kids.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about early retirement and it's an interesting dynamic. Nearly all of the wealthier people I've known do not want to retire and would not [retire] unless something such as serious illness forbid them to do so. I suppose it comes down to personality type as most are very driven type A people. Knew a family back home where I only saw the father once ever since he worked around a hundred hours per week and ran a very successful surgical practice; the home had multiple people staffed to keep the house and family in order. Seems most I've known who retired with means/money have ended up getting another job or starting a new business within a year or two. And even then, you never know. One of the hardest working guys I know was born in the 1940s and is still working around twelve hours per day or traveling around the country on business.
Most people work 9-5, i.e. 8 hours a day only. I work WAYYYY more than that per day. Last week, I worked 15 hours each day (9am to midnight). Most people are vacationing it up right now during the holidays while I'm working like a dog.

Trust me, I have the WORST LIFE EVER!!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat