Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
$19.00

Nier Replicant Ver.1.22474487139... (Xbox One)
$58.95
21 hrs ago
Stranded Sails (Xbox One)
$23.99

Marvel's Avengers (Xbox One)
$24.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Xbox One)
$33.34
13 hrs ago
My Hero One's Justice 2 (Xbox One)
$71.80

Blair Witch (Xbox One)
$19.40

NBA 2K18 (Xbox One)
$8.21
1 day ago
Dead Alliance (Xbox One)
$17.45
6 hrs ago
MotoGP 20 (Xbox One)
$34.99
1 hr ago
TrackMania Turbo (Xbox One)
$17.00

The Pillars of the Earth (Xbox One)
$11.08
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox

Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Default Update on Xbox Live Gold Pricing

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/...-gold-pricing/

COME IN HERE WITH YOUR TAKES!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

I think it’s BS. They are wanting people to get game pass and I’m not interested in getting game pass I mainly use gold for the discounts in sales and I do play online every once in a while.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Watching the kiddos freak out over on other sites about this is kind of amusing and depressing at the same time - never underestimate the ability of online video game communities to flip out prematurely.

This actually only really affects those that were paying for Gold only month to month or doing only 3 months at a time, and to be honest - if you were doing that, you were already getting ripped off paying $10/month when you could just do a year for $60.

They specifically state that anyone with existing 6 or 12 month online subscription renewal set up will not see a price increase. They are also giving 45 days notice of this, so anyone can go in today and set recurring for longer subs at the old price.

And of course, this doesn't affect anything at all for existing Ultimate users.

Yes, this whole thing is obviously being used to direct folks to Ultimate. I understand why a lot of people resist - I did for quite some time, but I was finally won over by the value. Especially since, as outlined elsewhere, you still have time to stack up and convert to get up to 3 years of Ultimate super-cheap if you haven't done so already. My current sub runs through the end of 2023 and it ended up averaging about $7/month.

Last edited by BillieCassin; 01-22-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
Watching the kiddos freak out over on other sites about this is kind of amusing and depressing at the same time - never underestimate the ability of online video game communities to flip out prematurely.

This actually only really affects those that were paying for Game Pass only month to month or doing only 3 months at a time, and to be honest - if you were doing that, you were already getting ripped off paying $10/month when you could just do a year for $60.

They specifically state that anyone with existing 6 or 12 month online subscription renewal set up will not see a price increase. They are also giving 45 days notice of this, so anyone can go in today and set recurring for longer subs at the old price.

Yes, this whole thing is obviously being used to direct folks to Ultimate. I understand why a lot of people resist - I did for quite some time, but I was finally won over by the value. Especially since, as outlined elsewhere, you still have time to stack up and convert to get up to 3 years of Ultimate super-cheap if you haven't done so already. My current sub runs through the end of 2023 and it ended up averaging about $7/month.
This is just Gold. Nothing to do with GamePass...not sure if that's a typo or not
Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
This is just Gold. Nothing to do with GamePass...not sure if that's a typo or not
Yes, corrected LOL. I meant Gold.

Basically, this only affects a really small portion of people, those that have Gold only, and do it in short periods.

It's funny the more I read elsewhere freaking out like MS just signed some death warrant on itself. They have given ample time for even those affected to do something about it and secure the old price.

If they were shitty like Netflix they would just say "oh btw, price going up next month, see ya"...

Last edited by BillieCassin; 01-22-2021 at 09:13 PM. Reason: corrected Gold reference
Old 01-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Yes, corrected LOL. I meant Gold.

Basically, this only affects a really small portion of people, those that have Gold only, and do it in short periods.

It's funny the more I read elsewhere freaking out like MS just signed some death warrant on itself. They have given ample time for even those affected to do something about it and secure the old price.

If they were shitty like Netflix they would just say "oh btw, price going up next month, see ya"...
Yeah but if people want Gamepass or Ultimate they would have by now. Not everyone wants to pay to rent games. I don’t rent games I buy the ones I want to keep them.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:

This actually only really affects those that were paying for Gold only month to month or doing only 3 months at a time, and to be honest - if you were doing that, you were already getting ripped off paying $10/month when you could just do a year for $60.

After the backlash, Microsoft backtracked today. Current XBL Gold prices will remain.

But if they had went through with doubling the XBL Gold cost, surely Gamepass would have also seen a price rise. So the idea of 'it doesn't effect me' would only be until the sub ran out, then it would have been $120/yr for Gold (or 86/yr in UK) and who knows what price for Gamepass.

Reading Eurogamer's article about it, some of the commentors see it as some kind of PR masterstroke, which I find laughable. Stroll in on a Friday afternoon and nonchalantly announce you are doubling online costs, kicking the hornets nest and then appear as the good guy the following day by cancelling the plans?
Nah, they were testing the waters and while $10/m isn't a huge amount vs other subscription services, you could also argue what they provide isn't even worth the $60/yr. A couple of old games each month to play and acting as gatekeeper/middle-man for access to game studios servers.

The main positive (other than prices remaining unchanged), is that people will soon be able to play 'free to play' games without an online subscription. So the likes of 'Fortnite', 'Rocket League' or 'Halo Infinite' multiplayer when it launches.
But even this simply brings it into line with what Sony & Nintendo were already doing on their platforms.

As for your initial point about 'kiddos freak out', while I'm sure most of the adults on this forum could afford this price hike, for many kids and for plenty of adults too, it would have taken online gaming out of their reach.
The price hike would have been a shi**y situation any other year, but during a pandemic where people are stuck at home and lonely already, cut off their access to online gaming too...

Also given that the Xbox Series consoles only launched a couple of months ago, it certainly could be interpreted as a bait & switch, get that launch holiday out of the way and then, surprise!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

I didn't freak but I did "wtf!". I think I'll purchase another 12 months then upgrade to GPU for a $1 offer that's available until 1/31.

I don't know if Phil Spencer has approved this plan but the move is indeed a failure. MS must have had some meetings regarding this + executives review/sign off on it.

I had to imagine the dim wits in the meeting room discussing+agreeing to this option,
"Why, that's a great idea! Then we can award ourselves larger bonus!"
"Sssshhhh, you are not supposed to say that out loud..."
Thanks given by:
JayTL (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Midwest

They should just make a lot of games free 2 play online. Like Pubg, DBD, Rocket league, Fortnite, Halo, FPS's etc. which it looks like Halo and Fortnite will go that way but what about the other multiplayer competitive online genres? Gamers need more benefits for buying into their eco-system.

Then use Gamepass Ultimate and absorb Gold into it to play everything online and get a library of games with a few free ones like Gold benefits.

That way everyone wins. But they've been doing Gold for 18 years and getting hell-uh revenue...they just showed their hand that they might want everything down the line soon, or massive price hikes.

they have to make PS and Nintendo users jealous imho. We need better.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

I wish MS would honour members who remained loyal to MS.

Say,
First year: full price for XBL or GPU
2~3 yrs: 10% off
3~5 yrs: 20% off
5~10 yrs: XX% off
10+ yrs: XX% off

Or something to that affect. Award & keep loyal members + attract new members with long outlook.

If MS's goal is to make as much $ as possible in short term (3 yrs), then no change needed. Future growth, however, they have no control over.

If MS's goal is to grow XBL membership/community, then they need an aggressive strategy to keep current members + attract new members. Last Friday's move clearly goes against this goal.

Last edited by GRD43L; 01-26-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Replaced with XX% off
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox