Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
10 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
10 hrs ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
15 hrs ago
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$18.60
15 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
16 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
10 hrs ago
The Guardian (Blu-ray)
$5.99
6 hrs ago
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #6581
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2016
Australia

I don't know why, but Begins has never done anything for me.

Dark Knight drags once Joker is captured.

So TDKR is my favourite of the trilogy, to be honest. Love the scene of Batman's return. I like "random guy is introduced firsthand to badass being badass" scenes in general; the rookie cop in that scene, the journalist at the station in Bourne Ultimatum, etc.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #6582

Jan 2013
Texas

I too think the people who claim The Dark Knight is one of the best films ever and The Dark Knight Rises sucks are complete and utter morons. The tone and action is classic Nolan. If you like Nolan (my favorite living director) then you should like both films.

It has always appeared to me that people tend to overhype movies, bands, or singers if the lead actor or lead singer dies or commits suicide. The Dark Knight Rises was awesome. Tom Hardy played a fantastic Bane, just as good as Ledger played The Joker. That's true even though Hardy happens to still be alive.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #6583
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2015

TDKR has issues, it's easily the weakest of the trilogy.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #6584

Sep 2015
Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyHighGuy View Post
Watched this last night, I realized I hadn't seen it since the blu-ray was released. I typically just rewatch Batman Begins out of these, occasionally Dark Knight.

I actually enjoyed it much more than the first time I saw it, I felt like I got more out of it at least. But I still feel like it's "missing something" that the first two films had, I just don't know what that is.

Maybe it never feels like it really "takes off", like there's too much exposition littered throughout, especially into the second half. I just don't like the pacing, and it's not the length I mind but I think they could've cut 15 minutes out and tightened it up. I understand why - there's four new major characters they have to get us up to speed on - but the film seems to crawl in spots.

But I like the story, the acting, the music is great at times...Catwoman is incredibly desirable without being campy. The reveal at the end is fun.

The other major issue I have though is the location - because so many scenes happen in daytime hours, it really feels like a Batman film set in New York City. That took me out of the movie quite a few times. I don't know how they could've done it differently I guess, but it's a major flaw imo. The Dark Knight also suffers from this somewhat, whereas Begins truly feels like it takes place in a fictional "Goham City".
This is one of the reasons I like the Nolan films. In going for a more "real world" approach, I find the characters and situations much more relatable. I love the Burton films, and I even enjoy BATMAN FOREVER, but the fantastical sets and production design, though magnificent, always made me think that I was watching a very good, expensive live action cartoon. I love cartoons, but I prefer verisimilitude in comic book adaptations.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #6585
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Georgia

I saw all three on either the opening weekend or the second weekend (pretty sure opening weekends for all). To me, BB is the best. Yeah, it doesn’t have the best bad guy, but it has the best atmosphere/setting of the Nolan movies and its a Batman movie. With the sequels you don’t get much time to enjoy Batman being Batman. The sequels are overstuffed IMO.

I like all three, but Nolan’s trio lacks those “I’m Batman *****!” moments. Batman mopes too much in the sequels. Bale doesn’t exude confidence the way Keaton’s Batman does.

Last edited by rocknblues81; 01-06-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #6586
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyHighGuy View Post
The other major issue I have though is the location - because so many scenes happen in daytime hours, it really feels like a Batman film set in New York City. That took me out of the movie quite a few times. I don't know how they could've done it differently I guess, but it's a major flaw imo. The Dark Knight also suffers from this somewhat, whereas Begins truly feels like it takes place in a fictional "Goham City".
I like Begins' gothic comic book feel, but I also love how "real" the two sequels feel. It's different styles for sure, which I guess is odd for a trilogy, but I really like seeing the realistic take on Batman since we already had quite a lot of fantasy Batman before that. I like when reboots and sequels change things up, it avoids repetition and everything feeling the same.

I wish they took it even further honestly, like Nolan thought about early on, with an only vaguely bat inspired tactical suit and whatnot.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #6587
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
67th highest rated movie of all time on IMDB, but yeah it "sucks." Sure.
His act is beyond tired.
Thanks given by:
Darthvaderrocks (02-02-2021), Deadguy2322 (01-06-2019), Jexes23 (01-06-2019)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:41 AM   #6588
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2020
England

I watched this yesterday and quite enjoyed it again. 4th best Nolan movie after Begins, TDK and Inception. I think it has some few mistakes on attention to detail but the plot works well and doesn't actually suffer from plot holes.

Is it worth getting the 4K version?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 AM   #6589
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthvaderrocks View Post
Is it worth getting the 4K version?
Yes.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #6590
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2020
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yes.
Do you know if it fixes the black bar that the standard blu ray had?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #6591
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2016
Australia

What black bar?
Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #6592

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthvaderrocks View Post
Do you know if it fixes the black bar that the standard blu ray had?
If you're referring to the letterbox movie. The 4K switches between IMAX (which would remove the Black bars) and then back to letterbox 2.35.1 I believe.

There is not a version of the movie fully without the letterbox unless you watch the movie on TV broadcast or zoom in while watching the film
Old 02-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #6593
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymiro12 View Post
If you're referring to the letterbox movie. The 4K switches between IMAX (which would remove the Black bars) and then back to letterbox 2.35.1 I believe.

There is not a version of the movie fully without the letterbox unless you watch the movie on TV broadcast or zoom in while watching the film
I know the Batman Begins and Dark Knight dvds are 2.35 throughout, but, it's dvd.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #6594
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2020
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymiro12 View Post

Thanks for the info
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
batman, blu-ray, nolan, the dark knight rises