Best DVD Deals


Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99
 
Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96
 
The Father (DVD)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99
 
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
 
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74
3 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
 
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99
 
Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99
 
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98
 
Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$7.50
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
davidthenikonuser davidthenikonuser is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
davidthenikonuser's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
43
1120
374
24
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxrebellion View Post
Anyone know where I can still snag a copy of this for a good price?

Looks like I waited too long to get this and it might now be OOP
If you have a fye near you check them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #22
sancho sancho is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sancho's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
10
678
Default

I was able to score this at walmart.com for $49 a few days ago. Just received it today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
redxrebellion redxrebellion is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
redxrebellion's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
113
1320
295
11
Default

Lol finally picked this up for $42 at Walmart.com. Can't wait to dig through these again. Such a great show
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #24
PowellPressburger PowellPressburger is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
PowellPressburger's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Mpls, MN
181
2918
358
51
210
Default

I wonder if anyone will re-issue the set?

Prices are insane.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #25
LexInHD LexInHD is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2010
226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I wonder if anyone will re-issue the set?

Prices are insane.
Mill Creek might, but I can't say for sure. There is no rhyme or reason to their Sony catalogue releases, except when there is tie-in potential or anniversaries of notable properties.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #26
Cruel Angel Cruel Angel is online now
Expert Member
 
Cruel Angel's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
San Antonio TX
105
684
330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I wonder if anyone will re-issue the set?

Prices are insane.
I doubt it, but you never know for sure. I was surprised it even got released in the first place. Always seemed to me that Monsters was much less known than Darkside even though it followed right after.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #27
Mystic Mystic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mystic's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
I doubt it, but you never know for sure. I was surprised it even got released in the first place. Always seemed to me that Monsters was much less known than Darkside even though it followed right after.
If I remember correctly, Monsters was intended to be the successor to Tales From The Darkside, however, the series never quite caught on with viewers, and seemed to fade into obscurity. I'm happy to have both series in my DVD collection, but the current prices for the Monsters set are indeed outrageous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #28
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

I never got round to picking it up because even though I like this stuff, I have to admit seasons 1-2 which were repeated over here around the time of the DVD never got any better than low average, unlike the parent series which had some strong episodes. Shame it looks like garbage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #29
Cruel Angel Cruel Angel is online now
Expert Member
 
Cruel Angel's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
San Antonio TX
105
684
330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
If I remember correctly, Monsters was intended to be the successor to Tales From The Darkside, however, the series never quite caught on with viewers, and seemed to fade into obscurity. I'm happy to have both series in my DVD collection, but the current prices for the Monsters set are indeed outrageous.
I watched it after Darkside since the network put it in the same time slot. I stuck through it until the end, but on the whole it wasn't as strong as Darkside. Not sure if part of the problem was that each ep HAD to have a monster in it.

At least they did release the entire series set in one shot instead of trying to go by season. Might not have gotten the other seasons made at all if sales were low for the first one.

I literally got the series set just to have my one favorite episode: The Waiting Game.

Last edited by Cruel Angel; 09-14-2020 at 08:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
Mystic Mystic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mystic's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
I watched it after Darkside since the network put it in the same time slot. I stuck through it until the end, but on the whole it wasn't as strong as Darkside. Not sure if part of the problem was that each ep HAD to have a monster in it.

At least they did release the entire series set in one shot instead of trying to go by season. Might not have gotten the other seasons made at all if sales were low for the first one.

I literally got the series set just to have my one favorite episode: The Waiting Game.
I thought the show was very much a mixed bag, I'm not a fan of the tongue in cheek humor that seemed to be so pervasive throughout much of the show, but I do like the show. Watching it now, it's very much a product of its time which isn't a bad thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:06 AM   #31
AnamorphicWidescreen AnamorphicWidescreen is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2014
Default

Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV.

However, I'm a big fan of '80's anthology horror shows in general, so I'm sure I will like this. I'll have to add it to my long back-log of shows I want to eventually watch

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 09-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:15 AM   #32
Mystic Mystic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mystic's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV. In fact, I don't even remember hearing about this show when it was originally on.

However, I'm a big fan of '80's anthology horror shows in general, so I'm sure I will like this. I'll have to add it to my long back-log of shows I want to eventually watch
If you're a fan of Tales From The Darkside, you'll probably enjoy Monsters. The show was meant to be the successor to Darkside, and was brought to TV by the same production team I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #33
OceanBlue OceanBlue is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV. In fact, I don't even remember hearing about this show when it was originally on.

However, I'm a big fan of '80's anthology horror shows in general, so I'm sure I will like this. I'll have to add it to my long back-log of shows I want to eventually watch
I'm partly to blame for that.

Back to Monsters, I think I saw one episode when Horror Channel UK repeated it a few years ago (they seem to have repeated Tales from the Darkside several times now. Have they lost the repeat rights to Freddy's Nightmares?), which I think veteran actor David McCallum starred in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #34
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

I believe they said both Monsters and Freddy's Nightmares had poor figures, so they never finished airing either.

As you say, Tales From the Darkside gets repeated all of the time, so they must have renewed it. Tales From the Darkside is easily the best of them, but can the repeats really be so popular?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #35
AnamorphicWidescreen AnamorphicWidescreen is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2014
Default

I recently saw Monsters S01 on DVD. Solid anthology show; I'm glad I finally saw this.

My favorite episodes are the first three, "Feverman", "Holly's House", and "New York Honey". Well-done, and the creature in Feverman was especially grotesque. And, even though the show was low-budget (and it showed), that added to it's charm

It's notable that the show is not so much scary as intentionally tongue-in-cheek. I also didn't find it quite as good as comparable '80's genre shows like Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone. But, those are hard acts to follow.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 AM.