Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Father (DVD)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74
3 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$7.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxrebellion View Post
Anyone know where I can still snag a copy of this for a good price?

Looks like I waited too long to get this and it might now be OOP
If you have a fye near you check them.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

I was able to score this at walmart.com for $49 a few days ago. Just received it today.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Lol finally picked this up for $42 at Walmart.com. Can't wait to dig through these again. Such a great show
Old 09-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I wonder if anyone will re-issue the set?

Prices are insane.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post

Prices are insane.
Mill Creek might, but I can't say for sure. There is no rhyme or reason to their Sony catalogue releases, except when there is tie-in potential or anniversaries of notable properties.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #26
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post

Prices are insane.
I doubt it, but you never know for sure. I was surprised it even got released in the first place. Always seemed to me that Monsters was much less known than Darkside even though it followed right after.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
I doubt it, but you never know for sure. I was surprised it even got released in the first place. Always seemed to me that Monsters was much less known than Darkside even though it followed right after.
If I remember correctly, Monsters was intended to be the successor to Tales From The Darkside, however, the series never quite caught on with viewers, and seemed to fade into obscurity. I'm happy to have both series in my DVD collection, but the current prices for the Monsters set are indeed outrageous.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I never got round to picking it up because even though I like this stuff, I have to admit seasons 1-2 which were repeated over here around the time of the DVD never got any better than low average, unlike the parent series which had some strong episodes. Shame it looks like garbage.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #29
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
If I remember correctly, Monsters was intended to be the successor to Tales From The Darkside, however, the series never quite caught on with viewers, and seemed to fade into obscurity. I'm happy to have both series in my DVD collection, but the current prices for the Monsters set are indeed outrageous.
I watched it after Darkside since the network put it in the same time slot. I stuck through it until the end, but on the whole it wasn't as strong as Darkside. Not sure if part of the problem was that each ep HAD to have a monster in it.

At least they did release the entire series set in one shot instead of trying to go by season. Might not have gotten the other seasons made at all if sales were low for the first one.

I literally got the series set just to have my one favorite episode: The Waiting Game.

Last edited by Cruel Angel; 09-14-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
I watched it after Darkside since the network put it in the same time slot. I stuck through it until the end, but on the whole it wasn't as strong as Darkside. Not sure if part of the problem was that each ep HAD to have a monster in it.

At least they did release the entire series set in one shot instead of trying to go by season. Might not have gotten the other seasons made at all if sales were low for the first one.

I literally got the series set just to have my one favorite episode: The Waiting Game.
I thought the show was very much a mixed bag, I'm not a fan of the tongue in cheek humor that seemed to be so pervasive throughout much of the show, but I do like the show. Watching it now, it's very much a product of its time which isn't a bad thing.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:06 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV.

However, I'm a big fan of '80's anthology horror shows in general, so I'm sure I will like this. I'll have to add it to my long back-log of shows I want to eventually watch

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 09-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:15 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV. In fact, I don't even remember hearing about this show when it was originally on.

However, I'm a big fan of '80's anthology horror shows in general, so I'm sure I will like this. I'll have to add it to my long back-log of shows I want to eventually watch
If you're a fan of Tales From The Darkside, you'll probably enjoy Monsters. The show was meant to be the successor to Darkside, and was brought to TV by the same production team I believe.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Thanks for the thread bump. Big fan of Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone back in the day, but for some reason Monsters passed me by when it was originally on TV. In fact, I don't even remember hearing about this show when it was originally on.

I'm partly to blame for that.

Back to Monsters, I think I saw one episode when Horror Channel UK repeated it a few years ago (they seem to have repeated Tales from the Darkside several times now. Have they lost the repeat rights to Freddy's Nightmares?), which I think veteran actor David McCallum starred in.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I believe they said both Monsters and Freddy's Nightmares had poor figures, so they never finished airing either.

As you say, Tales From the Darkside gets repeated all of the time, so they must have renewed it. Tales From the Darkside is easily the best of them, but can the repeats really be so popular?
Old 02-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I recently saw Monsters S01 on DVD. Solid anthology show; I'm glad I finally saw this.

My favorite episodes are the first three, "Feverman", "Holly's House", and "New York Honey". Well-done, and the creature in Feverman was especially grotesque. And, even though the show was low-budget (and it showed), that added to it's charm

It's notable that the show is not so much scary as intentionally tongue-in-cheek. I also didn't find it quite as good as comparable '80's genre shows like Tales from the Darkside & the '80's Twilight Zone. But, those are hard acts to follow.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies