Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.05
18 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$17.99

Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96
18 hrs ago
Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (DVD)
$24.96
9 hrs ago
The Little Things (DVD)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssertedWolf View Post
So has anyone got any new info on this set? I've heard the quality was pretty bad. might as well stick to our bootlegs boys because it doesn't look like this wolf is ever gonna howl under the moon again. haha
It appears to be minted from old, low-quality French broadcast tapes or whatever was laying around in French storage rooms. Definitely a pass. If Sony were to go to the trouble of reconstructing this show in HD/UHD, like they did with The Shield, it would look stunning, but any video masters from when the show was on the air that are left laying around their archives are going to be absolute crap and likely suffering from age-related faults.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #22

Nov 2014

That's a real shame. I'm not saying this show was a masterpiece but it definitely deserves to get out of Torrent hell etc. I still have VHS bootlegs and DVDs and I just wanna buy and support a real legit release.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:34 AM   #23

Apr 2013

I know this release has gotten a lot of flack, but I just received my copy from Amazon France earlier this week and I'd like to offer a cautious recommendation. Everything said so far about the subpar audio/video quality is accurate, and it's true that ideally Elephant Films would have been given better elements to work with here. Perhaps in the opinion of some, they should have never released it in the first place given the quality of what they had to work with. It's not a cheap set, so I completely understand why someone would feel lousy ponying up for something like this in the high-def era.

That said, I think by this point it is safe to assume that this may be the only release it ever receives, and the packaging presentation from Elephant is really well done and clearly cultivated for the collector and fan with its slipcover and episode-by-episode guide. I've heard some say the image quality is no better than the rips found on YouTube, which is just not true. It may only be marginally better, but is definitely better than that. And the show still stands as a great and entertaining watch.

I think it's okay in this case to lament that something better wasn't ultimately produced, while also being happy to have gotten anything at all considering the troubled history of this show on physical disc.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 AM   #24

Nov 2014
Hobbs Lane

A buyer said the video was jittery (maybe bouncy?). Did you perceive this? I would find it too distracting.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:24 AM   #25

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulstool View Post
A buyer said the video was jittery (maybe bouncy?). Did you perceive this? I would find it too distracting.
I'm only about a third of the way through the set, but I have not noticed this. Maybe a minor instance here or there, but nothing consistent or distracting at all imo.
Thanks given by:
bashfulstool (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #26

Nov 2014
Hobbs Lane

Wish the company or a buyer could upload samples...
Old 03-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #27
Expert Member

Jul 2016
Missouri (Formerly Manchester, UK)

This is definitely better than what's on YouTube. No jitter from what I noticed, I wonder if it's how some systems are displaying PAL. Is it great, no. Episodes vary as apparently they used the best source elements they could find. As Tomahawk stated unless Sony stumble on the original masters I doubt this will look any better. Maybe if a US company source off air NTSC S-VHS recordings in pristine condition. I imagine these look similar to watching them off FOX in 1987-88. Crap definition and all!
Old 03-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #28

Nov 2014
Hobbs Lane

I've seen the dvds and I haven't noticed any jitter either. I wonder if they were converted to PAL dvd by Elephant, or this is what they were given? Because the video would have been perfectly watchable prior to processing.
They aren't just interlaced, they had pulldown applied to play at 25 fps (and resized for PAL specs). This means the running time and audio are the same as original ntsc films. Normally it's simple to reverse pulldown, but in this case, the corrected video playback is abit wonky due to incorrect tweaking on the PAL videos.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #29

May 2011

Wow, I remember this was a launch series for the Fox network. Dare we hope for The New Adventures of Beans Baxter?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:10 AM   #30
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Id still like to see Herman's Head get a dvd release.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies