Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 09-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #321
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sheesh...and I thought I could hijack a thread.

I just want to point out that when two members turn a thread into their personal battle ground, bad things often happen. Posts may get deleted; the thread could get locked or closed and the members involved could face consequences. I speak from experience.
But wait! I'm right and he's wrong!

Understood!
Old 09-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #322
Special Member

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sheesh...and I thought I could hijack a thread.

I just want to point out that when two members turn a thread into their personal battle ground, bad things often happen. Posts may get deleted; the thread could get locked or closed and the members involved could face consequences. I speak from experience.
Thx for the advise. I am done.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #323
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

As for how much longer DVDs will last, I believe that they will last longer than I will. Same for blu-ray. Maybe the same with 4K disc.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (09-13-2020), Jay H. (09-13-2020), Steedeel (09-13-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #324

Apr 2010
Aude south of France

The sooner the general public are better educated about the benefits of Blu Ray and 4k quality and manufacturers drop their prices to encourage sales the better. DVDs only continue to be bought because of the prices being so much lower than Blu Ray. I just hope that now that televisions are only being produced in HD and 4K consumers will wake up to the better quality.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #325
Special Member

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb2010 View Post
The sooner the general public are better educated about the benefits of Blu Ray and 4k quality and manufacturers drop their prices to encourage sales the better. DVDs only continue to be bought because of the prices being so much lower than Blu Ray. I just hope that now that televisions are only being produced in HD and 4K consumers will wake up to the better quality.
To me I don't get the assumption from some that it will never happen. Competing against the most popular physical media is silly. Price is the #1 reason. Sales have picked up on dropped prices and you see that nutty behavior on black friday.

Adoption of a format takes time and 10 years isn't enough to make a determination that bluray is failing. The landscape has changed and continuing to endure is very important. Much more than watching a partial sales report.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #326
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Studio's are just following the consumer's lead. They currently have a three tired quality/prices point that the market supports. Why upset the apple cart by dropping prices of blu-ray to push out DVD?

The lowest tier product typically has the highest sales, which in this case is DVD. Having DVD just helps enforces the higher price for blu-ray, and the even high price for 4K for those that demand the boost in quality. They'll also get those double and triple dip purchases of the same content for those that decide to upgrade over time.

Pushing DVD out would just demote blu-ray to be the low end, price and quality wise, which makes no fiscal sense. It is best for studio's to maintain the current tier structure until forced to change by consumer demands, not to drive the tier structure to a less lucrative approach because it may benefit consumers. As along as price is such a strong motivator there is no reason to think things will change anytime soon.
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (09-14-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #327
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Netherlands

Interesting:

Old 10-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #328

Dec 2019

He glosses over the end of DVD and Blu-ray players in the last 5% as a “will never happen” clause in a longer list, but I dunno. Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war — was inconceivable to me, and then losing Oppo as well .... As much as Vinegar Syndrome might not need the mass market to succeed, consumer electronics kinda do. When our current players die, who’s going to fix them, or what’s going to replace them? Will Kino Lorber open up a consumer electronics manufacturing wing? And will hobbyists be able to tinker and fix a 4K UHD player that’s as much computer as laser-and-motor? When my 4K started freaking out last week, it turned out to be the memory buffer and I just had to unplug it, but: Bringing one of those to market is not like bringing a turntable to market, where it truly is largely analog and the player is almost entirely mechanical.

Last edited by blueshammer; 10-05-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #329
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

The footnote (35) is just saying that when they say US, they mean US/Canada: No. America.

https://www.motionpictures.org/wp-co...THEME-2019.pdf

As you can see, physical media is still a $10 billion a year market. Yes it drops about 18% per year. Those are just disc sales. So with that large of a market, there are still plenty of opportunities to sell DVD and BD players. UHD-BD is different because it's a niche product.
Thanks given by:
MarcelS1 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #330

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshammer View Post
Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war —
Sony developed Blu-ray, not Samsung.
Thanks given by:
blueshammer (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #331

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
Thanks for that correction. I knew Samsung had shipped the first players and mistakenly attributed the development to them.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #332
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
The "Blu-ray Disc founder group" was started on 20 May 2002 by Sony and eight leading electronic companies: Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung Electronics.

In order to enable more companies to participate, it announced in May 2004 that it would form the Blu-ray Disc Association, which was inaugurated on 4 October 2004.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #333

Jul 2017
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshammer View Post
He glosses over the end of DVD and Blu-ray players in the last 5% as a “will never happen” clause in a longer list, but I dunno. Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war — was inconceivable to me, and then losing Oppo as well .... As much as Vinegar Syndrome might not need the mass market to succeed, consumer electronics kinda do. When our current players die, who’s going to fix them, or what’s going to replace them? Will Kino Lorber open up a consumer electronics manufacturing wing? And will hobbyists be able to tinker and fix a 4K UHD player that’s as much computer as laser-and-motor? When my 4K started freaking out last week, it turned out to be the memory buffer and I just had to unplug it, but: Bringing one of those to market is not like bringing a turntable to market, where it truly is largely analog and the player is almost entirely mechanical.
Samdung did not invent Blu Ray, Sony did, along with other manufacturers. Please get your facts right!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #334

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
DVD is still far more popular around the world than Blu-ray is.
And long may it continue to do so.

Those elitists out there who think Blu is better (reminds me so much of ''your dad is bigger than my dad' ) Well it may be so but that is not going to change as DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #335

Apr 2010
Aude south of France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
And long may it continue to do so.

Those elitists out there who think Blu is better (reminds me so much of ''your dad is bigger than my dad' ) Well it may be so but that is not going to change as DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Blu Ray dead as a dodo? You’re clearly crazy if you think that everyone is going to give upon better quality visual discs with loads of extras. Millions have great taste and prefer the quality Blu Ray offers.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #336
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel

Quote:
...DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Yeah, it's been forever since I've been able to buy a Blu-ray online or in a store. And forget daily announcements of new releases. So sad.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #337

Jun 2020

Considering that VCDs still survive in Asia and even blank VHS tapes and blank Beta tapes are being made (the former by major companies, the latter by third parties), DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K aren’t going anywhere. Even if WB and Sony and Mousechwitz *cough cough* I mean Disney all jump ship on physical formats, the third parties will keep it going. Considering that the last studio Beta I can confirm was between 1994 (The Fugitive, confirmed) and 1996 (Mission: Impossible, rumored), and they’re still being made, add about 30 years to the day the final studio stops making their own discs. That’s the least these will survive.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #338

Jul 2013

Quote:
Blu Ray dead as a dodo? You’re clearly crazy if you think that everyone is going to give upon better quality visual discs with loads of extras. Millions have great taste and prefer the quality Blu Ray offers.
But MORE people have and buy DVDs with loads of extras more so than Blu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Yeah, it's been forever since I've been able to buy a Blu-ray online or in a store. And forget daily announcements of new releases. So sad.
I am not saying you can not buy them still,All I am saying is Blu ray is dead along with DVD but see my post above ^^^^^^^
Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #339
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel

Quote:
But MORE people have and buy DVDs with loads of extras more so than Blu.

I am not saying you can not buy them still,All I am saying is Blu ray is dead along with DVD but see my post above ^^^^^^^
You should probably look up the definition of "dead".
Thanks given by:
Skylath (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #340

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
You should probably look up the definition of "dead".
I did look it up and it says.

Deceased, extinct, lifeless=Blu ray.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies