Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ar tonelico III Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel (PS3)
$39.99

Transformers Devastation (PS3)
$27.17

Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (PS3)
$29.99

SBK Superbike World Championship (PS3)
$22.81

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$25.04
1 day ago
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PS3)
$14.94
20 hrs ago
Cabela's Adventure Camp (PS3)
$26.48

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (PS3)
$29.99

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (PS3)
$26.78

Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
$36.54
11 hrs ago
Sonic Generations (PS3)
$14.97

Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3)
$25.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #61
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Some more issues have been cropping up this time PS3 games are no longer able to be updated because the files are no longer on the servers.

Quote:
The list of affected games is currently unknown and varies between digital, physical and regions, but we don't know if Sony will fix this or not, so best to patch your game collections now while you can.

Anyone able to test games should do so, although please do not delete anything in order to test as you may lose data doing so.

PSNProfiles forums are starting to put together a list of missing updates, although it is still very early.

Some of PS3 Videogames don't get a Patch and the patch is essential to play Online and earn Trophies:
1) - Nor automatically at the boot of the game itself;
2) - Nor through "Manual" (Triangle: update check)

The following is a list of games that I have tested myself (or suggested by the community)

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/...ome-ps3-games/
Old 04-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #62
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

There's rumours Sony are planning a trump card to counter Gamepass. I wonder if they will be adding B/C support to a subscription service like Now?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #63
Special Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Some more issues have been cropping up this time PS3 games are no longer able to be updated because the files are no longer on the servers.
If there's a will, there's a way.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps...ldostools.334/

I assume this doesn't count as "bootlegging" because it just pulls the FREE updates. It's legit. I've used it to back up updates for physical games I have. Ironically fearing that very day a year or so ago when updates disappear. You need to jailbreak though because you may have to manually put the files on the HDD or install custom pkg files. Not sure where the updates are coming from. Hopefully not Sony because that would mean this method might not work later either if so. I'm sure people are working hard to archive stuff. I am for my own personal stuff.

This is an all around F'ed up situation. I'm definitely not buying another piece of Sony hardware again until they stop being retarded scum. Definitely leaning toward the XBOX Series X this generation. Hope Microsoft stomps them out and puts them back in their place this go around. Seems like the process has already started. I'll tell you something though. After doing this shit, Sony just gave full justification for piracy. If it wasn't for piracy, talking about older oop hard to find games, a lot of stuff would of vanished never to be seen again. I don't consider it piracy though unless the game/movie/etc is widely available and normal priced (not scalping). I just consider it digital dumpster diving.

Last edited by CrowKiller; 04-12-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #64
Special Member

Jul 2017
The Redwoods

Quote:
There's rumours Sony are planning a trump card to counter Gamepass. I wonder if they will be adding B/C support to a subscription service like Now?
I saw a rumor that said Sony is just bundling a bunch of their services like music, movies, anime, & either PS + or PS Now. Not trying to compete with GPU but showing the world how diverse their services are. They are trying to compete with Apple One, not GPU.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #65
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHobbs View Post
I saw a rumor that said Sony is just bundling a bunch of their services like music, movies, anime, & either PS + or PS Now. Not trying to compete with GPU but showing the world how diverse their services are. They are trying to compete with Apple One, not GPU.
Depending on price I'd be in on it.

Whatever the case Sony need to refresh their subscription offerings.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Send a message via MSN to The Apocalypse

""When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much." - Jim Ryan

Well Jim, I don't quite know how to put this but er... It's rather difficult to use something that hasn't been implemented fully the past couple of generations.
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (04-13-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #67

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
PSPs are insanely easy to jailbreak. PSP games don't have trophies and I'm sure any with online play originally, don't have it anymore. Literally no reason to worry about that.
While on the other hand, I can just take my PS1 game, put it in my PS1 and hit the power button.

You shouldn't have to jailbreak a console just to make it do it's basic core function.
Thanks given by:
CrowKiller (04-13-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #68
Expert Member

Aug 2009

It's reasons like this why I often prefer retro gaming. My 40yr old Spectrum games load from the tapes and work just fine. No flaffing about with them disappearing or stopping working properly becuase they were only available or relied on fixes via digital platforms. As much as like my modern systems, sometimes they just don't seem worth the agrivation. I won't be getting any more consoles after the ps4 for a number of reasons, but all this is peeving me off all the same.

Considering that we're still going to be able to download games and movies once the relevant stores have gone, I'd expect this is probably a glitch and the updates/dlc/fixes would probably reappear shortly. Hope so.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #69

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodle View Post
While on the other hand, I can just take my PS1 game, put it in my PS1 and hit the power button.

You shouldn't have to jailbreak a console just to make it do it's basic core function.
Honestly I enjoy playing PSP games on my PC, using the PSP as a UMD drive to legally load the disc. Allows for some nice HD upscaling even on lower end systems.

Same with PSX games.

PS2 are harder to run but still I love that they can be popped into the drive....

Now with PS3 that all is impossible to do with a disc and the push towards digital has made it so PS3 and Vita games are just going to die.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #70

Dec 2012
Wanna see my Tardis? :D

Quote:
According to a post on the first thread page at Resetera, It's mentioned that some of these games had their patches on other servers not in relation to the PSN servers as they had nothing to do with them at the time. When they ended their service, so did access to the patch and that makes sense why some of these games can't be fixed in this case.

PC gamers have always had to deal with this and I fear this is the route the rest of us will be going down quite soon.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #71

Jan 2018
England

Can patches not be updated via usb storage? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a database out there of all PS3 patches (hopefully).
Old 04-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #72

Dec 2012

There is one for patching games and sadly the site is being used mostly for emulation purposes, but I don't know if I can get away with posting that. It's about the same as posting a patch library for pc games when they've long been taken offline.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #73
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Itís a very grey line between what is and isnít ďlegalĒ this site tends to err on the side of caution and refrain from linking to anything that could potentially cause issues for them.

I think itís extremely unlikely anything would ever happen but weíre told not to link to anything like that. Itís the same deal with say the Star Wars fan edits. Links or even mention of them that are posted publicly in threads are usually removed because it could be perceived as piracy.

It is pretty stupid on Sonyís part though in making the only option to ensure gaming history is preserved is to force people to use homebrew which could potentially lead to pirating.

Just make everything easily available to the consumer and they will probably buy it given the chance.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Wow, that's now really shitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Can patches not be updated via usb storage?
Nope.

I really hope there will be a final PS3 store sale, but somehow I doubt it. I wanted to buy quite a bit of DLC, but definitely not at full price, sorry.
It's ridiculous that they are closing the whole store, and I'm sure at some point they will also disable redownloads. Nintendo has already said so re: Wii store, and Sony has actually even done so already with their PSP Comics store. No redownloads should be illegal, because they say you buy games, not rent them.

I'm glad I bought GOTY editions all the time with DLC on disc. People told me back then that I was stupid and they would never close the store, because PS3+4 are both the same store. These GOTY editions will be worth way more in the future. And the unpatched regular versions will be worth next to nothing, especially when updates even cease to exist.

No idea if it's Japan only but there even is a physical release of Bioshock Infinite with all DLC on disc in Japan, and it's even English friendly and can be gotten for quite cheap, I paid around 1000 Yen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
It's reasons like this why I often prefer retro gaming. My 40yr old Spectrum games load from the tapes and work just fine. No flaffing about with them disappearing or stopping working properly becuase they were only available or relied on fixes via digital platforms. As much as like my modern systems, sometimes they just don't seem worth the agrivation. I won't be getting any more consoles after the ps4 for a number of reasons, but all this is peeving me off all the same.
Fully agreed.
I don't own a PS4 nor PS5 and even the Switch is pissing me off with the constant updates here, updates there.

You have to understand that the end goal is "you will own nothing, but rent everything (and you will be happy)". Everything as a service.

So it makes sense that they are doing shitty work on everything, so that even physical copies will be worthless when servers (updates) have shut down.

There are of course exceptions, tons of Limited Run games are released years later, and come patched most of the time.

I even read that there is a clock chip inside PS3+PS4, and when the battery runs out and they pull the time server, license checks will fail and it will all not work anymore, except possible discs, but what I also read is that even physical PS4 games may stop working at that point.

Last edited by jimidini; 04-14-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apocalypse View Post
""When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much." - Jim Ryan

Well Jim, I don't quite know how to put this but er... It's rather difficult to use something that hasn't been implemented fully the past couple of generations.
It's even nonsense, I myself never owned a PS1, but I played tons of PS1 games on my PS2. I also never owned a GBA, but bought and played tons on my Nintendo DS.

For PS3 Sony even stripped backward compatibility really fast, and they THEMSELVES said that they didn't strip it because of costs, but because they wanted to force people to buy PS3 games (and why? because of their silly pay $900 for a badly designed console, sell them for $599, everyone will buy at least 10 games attitude, they could have dropped the useless bluray drive, and voila $350 already down in price).

Back then w/ PS2 I thought what a brilliant way of going forward. Always being able to play old games, and also play new games on the same console. And then PS3 happened (Europe even never got the proper backward compatible PS3, but a 50% software emulation and it was the most expensive one). PS3 game software quality also went down the drain. For PS2 all my games just worked fine, unless games that were released at the end of its life. Games like Jak X, which was even a first party title, had serious troubles running on certain PS2 models and was incapable of saving progress at all, in fact it destroyed memory cards and even the Platinum release didn't fix that issue, which was ridiculous. I have never played that game, because of that bug.

Nintendo had a great track record until the Switch. Every single handheld until then was at least compatible with one system. Wii U was even able to play Wii + Gamecube games (GC games only via homebrew, because the disc drive didn't support mini discs). And Nintendo games were also very high quality until the Switch. On Switch even their emulated games got patched, multiple times (while the original releases work fine). It's really getting more and more ridiculous. Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U for example got a single very very tiny patch because of one single oversight. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch on the other hand got like 10+ patches already.

5 years ago I was okay with paying full price for Nintendo games because of their high software quality. Nowadays I wait for sales, because even their quality went down. I remember Iwata saying that their Wii U games went gold months before release, and were really really well tested, 3D World perfect 60 fps, now look at the re-release on Switch, the bonus world goes even down to around 30 fps or even lower than that, at least no patch yet).

Last edited by jimidini; 04-14-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
I doubt it's a space or bandwidth issue. Rather, as long as the PS3 store is open, then have to employ people to maintain it, make sure it's working, make sure it's secure, patch exploits, etc. Maybe it's not their full time job, but time has to be spend on it. And they've probably judged it's not being used enough to justify those resources.
I remember a time when Sony actually kept SOCOM 2 servers up for more than 10 years, and online play was free, no monthly fees and it all worked just fine.
Nowadays they are paid even monthly fees and drop game servers anyway and way faster than before.

Back then they actually cared about their customers.

Quote:
make sure it's secure
The PS3 hack proved them to be insecure. And if they actually did a proper job, they would use the same store internally for all their consoles.
The PS3 store is a mess anyway, it never ran properly. And the webstore has already been closed quite a time ago.

See, I wouldn't even have a problem with them closing the native PS3 store, but keeping everything on the web, so you can buy games digitally with any browser for any platform of theirs and download it that way, you were able to push downloads to your PS3 via web store. Doing so wouldn't really be a problem, it's just a simple web store. But instead they kicked PS3 games and PS3 functionality out.

Using the same argument you can even defend them pulling the plug on PS3 PSN including redownloads. Customers paid them for all these digital games. Sony got way more money that way than going the physical route and right now less and less PS3 games are sold on regular stores, which means companies get even less from the sales except digital sales. And now they shut down the digital store. Does this make sense? I don't think so. PS3 also has quite a few exclusive games, not available anywhere else. No way to play them anymore after this except stealing them or buying them used if available physically. Tons of DLC will also be gone regardless, for that it's stealing or not getting it.

Last edited by jimidini; 04-14-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #77
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apocalypse View Post
after reading this, somehow Sony's questionable decisions in the past 2 years makes sense
Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #78

Dec 2012

It really amazes me that they have select PS2 titles on PS4 and they look so far and beyond better then when they were originally released. Code Veronica is a gross example that if they're willing to do emulation of any kind, they're fully capable of doing it and making backwards compatibility entirely functional.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #79
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
It really amazes me that they have select PS2 titles on PS4 and they look so far and beyond better then when they were originally released. Code Veronica is a gross example that if they're willing to do emulation of any kind, they're fully capable of doing it and making backwards compatibility entirely functional.
One earns them new money because they can sell you the same game multiple times, the other one doesn't. Guess why they don't allow you to simply put your old discs in.

Anyhow, I'm not a fan of emulation especially when it's about backward compatibility. I want true hardware backward compatibility that works 100%. Software emulation always has some issues somewhere, and also never works for every game out there. I enjoy all sorts of hidden gem games, and those typically are not considered important.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #80
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

For like PS2 and even PS1 games I personally donít mind just having something like those PS2 and PS1 Classics that you can get on the PS3 PSN Store myself but just having them on PS4 and PS5. Sure a Remake or at least being Remastered to HD would be nice for those many many titles but I rather have something than nothing. Same goes for the PS3 games. Games should be preserved without the use of emulation or anything of the sort.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3