Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
14 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.99
51 min ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
17 hrs ago
The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$28.12
14 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia
Default EPIX: War of The Worlds

howdy, this is a new mini series on EPIX channel & App and I think it's pretty good so far. another good presentation from our peoples across the pond!

if you have an ATV4K, you can watch it in 4K ULTRAHD @ 24hz with 5.1 audio which is how i'm grooving with this show! so far, i'm 3 Ep's in, about to start the 4th and for me, it's

oh, even though i searched and didn't find anything under tv shows back to the middle of 2019, someone is going to post a link to a thread already started about this show, you just know it!
Thanks given by:
doctorD (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeYmeGyQKuM

howdy, this is a new mini series on EPIX channel & App and I think it's pretty good so far. another good presentation from our peoples across the pond!

if you have an ATV4K, you can watch it in 4K ULTRAHD @ 24hz with 5.1 audio which is how i'm grooving with this show! so far, i'm 3 Ep's in, about to start the 4th and for me, it's

oh, even though i searched and didn't find anything under tv shows back to the middle of 2019, someone is going to post a link to a thread already started about this show, you just know it!

Well since you knew it was coming:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...+of+the+worlds

I will say that I do appreciate the news that this is available on Apple TV.

Last edited by doctorD; 03-16-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post

That's technically for "The War of the Worlds," the period drama version from BBC... There's also "War of the Worlds" from Fox/Studio Canal that's finally airing on EPIX months after it premiered in France... though the thread discusses both at times.

It's nice that it's finally getting a US release, but the fact that they're working on a second season makes me hesitant to care if they're going to drag it out.

Last edited by kevin87; 03-16-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (03-21-2020), solarrdadd (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
That's technically for "The War of the Worlds," the period drama version from BBC... There's also "War of the Worlds" from Fox/Studio Canal that's finally airing on EPIX months after it premiered in France... though the thread discusses both at times.

It's nice that it's finally getting a US release, but the fact that they're working on a second season makes me hesitant to care if they're going to drag it out.
This appears to been conceived as an ongoing series, so that is just as much "dragging it out" as any other ongoing tv series. It has been reasonably well received but it appears to have so little in common with the HG Wells novel that I’m not sure why they even called it War of the Worlds.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post

SonofA.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post

I'm Saved!
Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Banned

Jul 2015
Isle of Albion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
This appears to been conceived as an ongoing series, so that is just as much "dragging it out" as any other ongoing tv series. It has been reasonably well received but it appears to have so little in common with the HG Wells novel that I’m not sure why they even called it War of the Worlds.
I've only heard bad things so far, including it's worse than the terrible recent BBC version.

Love the book and Jeff Wayne's musical, am very fond of the Haskin and Spielberg films so if I can find a way to watch it I'll probably give this a go.

EDIT:

Here's a l-o-n-g non-geolocked Australian tralier. Looks to have all but bugger all to do with the original novel so presumably this is another case of simply slapping the name of and elements from a known quantity onto an only tangentially related product in an attempt to gain more viewers (did someone say HBO's Watchmen?) I'll still give it a chance though as it looks like it could be good.

Last edited by Fnord Prefect; 03-16-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord Prefect View Post
I've only heard bad things so far, including it's worse than the terrible recent BBC version.

Love the book and Jeff Wayne's musical, am very fond of the Haskin and Spielberg films so if I can find a way to watch it I'll probably give this a go.

EDIT:

Here's a l-o-n-g non-geolocked Australian tralier. Looks to have all but bugger all to do with the original novel so presumably this is another case of simply slapping the name of and elements from a known quantity onto an only tangentially related product in an attempt to gain more viewers (did someone say HBO's Watchmen?) I'll still give it a chance though as it looks like it could be good.

War Of The Worlds | Trailer | Coming to SBS in 2020 - YouTube
So far the reviews for this are better than for the BBC version, which I thought was horrible. I would have loved to see a good adaptation which takes place at the time the novel was written but the BBC version botched it. The first episode was acceptable but then it went down the drain, chucking the novel out of the window. It was badly made with crappy effects and increasingly poor story telling, for some reason dropping most of the iconic moments from the book which never have satisfyingly been made as a period drama. Though contemporary, the Spielberg version still is the one truest to HG Wells.

I don’t mind this new series piggybacking on the title of the novel if it works on its own terms. It’s been described as taking more of a Black Mirror approach.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/wa...orlds_2020/s01

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/th...the_worlds/s01
Old 03-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Banned

Jul 2015
Isle of Albion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
So far the reviews for this are better than for the BBC version, which I thought was horrible. I would have loved to see a good adaptation which takes place at the time the novel was written but the BBC version botched it. The first episode was acceptable but then it went down the drain, chucking the novel out of the window. It was badly made with crappy effects and increasingly poor story telling, for some reason dropping most of the iconic moments from the book which never have satisfyingly been made as a period drama. Though contemporary, the Spielberg version still is the one truest to HG Wells.

I don’t mind this new series piggybacking on the title of the novel if it works on its own terms. It’s been described as taking more of a Black Mirror approach.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/wa...orlds_2020/s01

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/th...the_worlds/s01
I watched episode one of the Epix version last night and it was on the whole quite good, not brilliant nor awful but it was certainly interesting. I'll be tuning in to episode 2. One thing it wasn't was HG Well's War of the Worlds but I'll give it a pass simply because I liked it and want to see how it develops.

Not a massive fan of Black Mirror (can't stand Charlie Brooker who's always struck me as a Beeboid/Guardianista politically correct wannabe Victor Lewis-Smith) but will admit that when it holds my interest it's quality TV. I'm even more inclined to watch further WotW episodes now.

Like you I'm still waiting for a faithful to the novel film or TV adaptation which surely will happen one day. I agree about Spielberg's take, personally I really enjoy the first two acts but (stating the obvious) almost as soon as they find themselves in Ogilvy's basement the pacing goes to pot and the film never recovers which is a real shame. These days I find myself skipping that 20 minutes or so.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
Banned

Aug 2018

Its a solid series. Not sure why the bad ratings, maybe because everyone thought it was that BBC crap instead. Bad timing in promoting this. Very Solid. It has that feeling of pure Sci-Fi!!!
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (03-19-2020), solarrdadd (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

War of the Worlds was once produced into a television series, where it lasted for two seasons before being abruptly canceled. It debuted in 1988 and was a sequel to the 1953 movie.

There's also two War of the Worlds productions. One was produced for the BBC, as a mini-series, that consists of three parts. The other series is the one currently being produced by Fox Networks Group and StudioCanal-backed Urban Myth Films. There are currently eight episodes produced for that later series.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

Jun 2015

Just binged the heck out of this. Got epix through Youtube TV for 30 days so took advantage.

Its weird, it's a slow burn, but intriguing enough to me that i just watched 7 episodes in 2 days. (I think there are 8).

I have to wait a week i think to watch what I think is the finale?

I'd recommend, but like others have said, this is not anything like the book and /or the movies.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarFrenzy View Post
Just binged the heck out of this. Got epix through Youtube TV for 30 days so took advantage.

Its weird, it's a slow burn, but intriguing enough to me that i just watched 7 episodes in 2 days. (I think there are 8).

I have to wait a week i think to watch what I think is the finale?

I'd recommend, but like others have said, this is not anything like the book and /or the movies.
Episode 8 airs tonight. I'm back on Episode 6 at the moment. I was watching it live but then fell behind when I was at concert the week of the 4th episode. I like the show a lot but it's tough for me to try and binge to get caught up because so much depressing stuff happens in it. Since I had to watch it via the Epix app to get caught up, I did discover it's in 4K on there and wish I had noticed that before. I would have watched it from there to begin with instead of on Epix.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
Banned

Jun 2008

Both this and BBC WOTW remakes are shite. Nothing happens on either of them. Its just people running around and talking and more talking. Spielbergs WOTW is amazing compared to these 2.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #14

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Episode 8 airs tonight. I'm back on Episode 6 at the moment. I was watching it live but then fell behind when I was at concert the week of the 4th episode. I like the show a lot but it's tough for me to try and binge to get caught up because so much depressing stuff happens in it. Since I had to watch it via the Epix app to get caught up, I did discover it's in 4K on there and wish I had noticed that before. I would have watched it from there to begin with instead of on Epix.
4K? I didn't know that either. Well crap. I don't think my LGWebos has the Epix app.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014

Watched the season and it was ok. Very much character driven and the aliens in the background. I read a comment in one of the YouTube review videos which was interesting and viable. That comment by user AD SF was...

[Show spoiler]The aliens are humans from the future or a parallel universe. In the last episode, Emily tells Kariem that they need her help because they want to live. I think the invaders are what is left of the human race, something, somewhere in the future will cause them to die or their body to decay, maybe because of a natural genetic mutation or maybe a nuclear war will make the Earth inhabitable. I think Emily and Sasha's baby ( The visions show Emily and Sacha's future with Emily pregnant), will be born with something special that will save the human race.
The Dogbots are killing all the people that might be the cause of extinction. I also think the Dogbots are us in the future, living in robotic bodies to survive.

My thoughts...

[Show spoiler]A lot of stories in the news these days is how we are destroying our planet and one day we may cause irreparable damage that the only way to save it is to travel back to a point in time where there is still hope. By exterminating most of humanity, it stops the damage that humans are causing to Earth.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:53 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Season 2 starts in the US on June 6th. Not sure about France, unless the English version is getting released first this time, even though that's surprising as Epix doesn't actually produce the show. Would think Canal in France or Fox in another country would premiere it first and then other countries where it's licensed out would get it after that.

It's also already been renewed for a third season by Fox/Studio Canal.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:30 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

I'm surprised that you can't buy this anywhere in the US, neither on disc nor digitally. Seems to be Epix only (which means it has a very limited audience from the get-go).
Old 04-13-2021, 04:13 AM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
I'm surprised that you can't buy this anywhere in the US, neither on disc nor digitally. Seems to be Epix only (which means it has a very limited audience from the get-go).
Well, it's produced by Fox and Studio Canal... Studio Canal isn't in the US much and Fox is owned by Disney, unless it somehow works differently internationally, which would explain why it's not on disc... and the Fox networks is where the "English" version has aired in other countries.

It's out on BD in France, but who knows how English friendly that is.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows