Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99
8 hrs ago
Absolutely Fabulous: Absolutely All of It (DVD)
$42.99
7 hrs ago
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98
12 hrs ago
The Elizabeth Gaskell Collection (DVD)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

As Time Goes By: Complete Seasons 1-9 (DVD)
$29.99
8 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Father Brown: Season One (DVD)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #21

Mar 2013

I hope we can one day get these shows on DVD or Blu-ray. Not holding my breath, though.
Thanks given by:
milojthatch (Yesterday), ps3bd_owner (02-19-2021), SpazeBlue (01-19-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Tomorrow's the big day. It will be interesting to see what we actually end up getting.
https://www.disneyplus.com/series/th...w/Rgks70YwIkSw
Old 02-19-2021, 12:39 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

I always loved that Madeline Kahn episode. It’s sad how underrated she’s become.
Thanks given by:
Froggy0705 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #24

Jun 2020
Loveland, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
I always loved that Madeline Kahn episode. Its sad how underrated shes become.
She was fantastic in Clue!
Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 AM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
I always loved that Madeline Kahn episode. Its sad how underrated shes become.
She died way too young.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Fans have started going through the episodes and here are the cuts and missing episodes on Disney+ they've found so far:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Muppets/com..._is_on_disney/
https://www.toughpigs.com/tms-edits/
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Disney%2B#Omissions
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Forum...on_Disney_Plus

Surprisingly, the Brooke Shields episode didn't make the cut but that was thankfully released on DVD.

Last edited by whiteberry; 02-19-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (02-20-2021), SpazeBlue (02-19-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #27
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Fans have started going through the episodes and here are the cuts and missing episodes on Disney+ they've found so far:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Muppets/com..._is_on_disney/
https://www.toughpigs.com/tms-edits/
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Disney%2B#Omissions
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Forum...on_Disney_Plus

Surprisingly, the Brooke Shields episode didn't make the cut but that was thankfully released on DVD.
It's disappointing to see things cut and missing. I suppose we should have expected some of this.
Regarding seasons 1-3, as these were released on DVD, is there a comparison lists anywhere as to which episodes were cut on disc, but are complete on D+? I have the uk releases of the first two seasons, and I expect they're the same as the American DVDs.
I'm wondering if the Chris Langham one is absent on account of his conviction. It would seem to be the most likely reason.
Is the Spike Milligan episode included in the UK Season 3 dvd set? What about the other cuts, are the episodes complete on the dvds?
Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Entertainment Weekly article on the cuts and missing episodes:
Quote:
While more than 100 of the beloved series' 120 episodes are now streaming in full on Disney+, eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed some edits and omissions when the show debuted on the streaming service Friday. Most notably, two episodes from season 5 featuring guest stars Brooke Shields and Chris Langham are entirely absent from Disney+. (The first season's episode featuring Kaye Ballard was also missing when the series debuted on Friday, but has been restored; a Disney+ representative said its omission was simply a mistake.)
https://ew.com/tv/why-muppet-show-ep...m-disney-plus/
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (02-20-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Regarding seasons 1-3, as these were released on DVD, is there a comparison lists anywhere as to which episodes were cut on disc, but are complete on D+? I have the uk releases of the first two seasons, and I expect they're the same as the American DVDs.
Since the show was shot in PAL, I consider the UK discs to be more desirable than the US discs (cut-wise they are identical). However, in this case, the German discs are slightly more complete, though the transfers are notably worse. This is how it all breaks down:
- Joel Grey: (A) UK discs are missing the song "Stormy Weather".
(B) Two Muppet News flashes were missing from both DVDs.
(C) A transitional shot featuring Waldorf and Statler is missing from the master copy.
From what I understand, A + B are restored on Disney Plus, C is not. I've only ever seen that footage in a crappy beat-up copy on Youtube.
- Ruth Buzzi: "You Can't Rollerskate In A Buffalo Herd" is 10 seconds shorter on the UK discs.
Haven't confirmed this, but my assumption is that the shorter version is on Disney Plus too.
- Jim Nabors: "Gone With The Wind" and "The Danceros" were missing from the UK discs.
Pretty sure both of these were restored.
- Paul Williams: the UK disc is missing "All of Me". The German disc restores "All of Me", but accidentally omits the backstage scene that follows it. There is a small piece of transitional footage which is on neither DVD, but was released on an old French DVD (which didn't have the "UK spot").
Disney Plus has actually fixed this so that it is intact.
- Charles Aznavour: the UK disc is missing "The Old-Fashioned Way".
- Harvey Korman: there are two versions of "Halfway Down The Steps". The German disc features the original version (the orange/brown one), the UK disc features the re-shot version (the blue one). (This is cool, they have the same audio track so they sync up completely.)
Don't know which version is on Disney Plus, but I'd guess it's the blue one.
- Vincent Price: (A) "You've Got A Friend" is missing from the UK discs.
(B) there's a sketch where they changed a punchline from "Guy Lombardo" to "Jack Parnell".
The original version hasn't been released on a DVD anywhere, and I doubt it's on Disney Plus, but they did restore the song.
- Kaye Ballard: this is a real odd one; there was a unique "Zoot tag" here, and when they replaced all of the Zoot tags because of production company changes, they re-shot a different unique "Zoot tag". The DVDs use the second one, but the first one was better. Disney Plus uses a hybrid, half of each, neither one is complete or intact.
- Elton John: this is a season two episode where the DVDs, for some reason, include the song "English Country Garden", which is from a different episode. I forget the correct episode off-hand, but it was also included there. Other than this, seasons 2 & 3 are intact on UK disc.
Not sure if this was fixed on Disney Plus.

It's a strange show; there are (at least) two official edits of every single episode, one prepared for markets with more commercials (like the US) and one for markets with fewer commercials (like the UK). The primary difference is that there's an extra sketch in the UK versions, but there are also a lot of editing differences, where one version will have a slow fade and the other will have a quick cut. So there's not necessarily a single "definitive" version of any of the episodes. When preparing the DVDs, it appears that Disney took the US versions and cut back in the extra UK scenes, so there are various little discrepancies. The German release is based off a lot of different sources, but they tend to be the original UK-region edits (although most of them have "Die Muppet Show" credits). There's actually one episode where the German version has a completely unique skit, and another one where there's an extra line from Waldorf and Statler (which was a bit mind boggling to find out, just imagining how often they might've had to plan for things like that).

tl; dr: I believe that all of the significant stuff missing on the DVDs is restored for Disney Plus, though there are a few small things still absent.

Last edited by thatguamguy; 04-13-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Tomorrow's the big day. It will be interesting to see what we actually end up getting.
For some reason, even knowing the masters were PALs, I'm still surprised to learn that they slowed the show down to the wrong speed. I thought they would spend the money to do a proper fix like Monty Python did when they were upscaling PAL video to 24fps.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:09 AM   #31
Special Member

Jul 2009

Most streaming services can't do video right. I thought it was a limitation of the technology in general until I saw YouTube do it right- I upload a lot of old commercials and stuff there and process them so they actually display in the right frame rate. This show on Disney Plus looks terrible, and I can't believe they haven't been called out on it. They should be called out for catering to the ADD crowd too with all the prompts onscreen to skip stuff (I only subscribed when I could use Airplay which lets me watch everything in peace with full end credits and no Skip Intro prompts.)
Thanks given by:
Nailwraps (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

I know what you're talking about and I do agree, I hate when the 60fps framerate is manipulated to a film-like framerate because of streaming standards/fallbacks.

Even Blu-ray can allow shows shot on video to be presented in their proper framerate. Emmett Otter, Monty Python, and classic Doctor Who are very good examples (and even the shot-on-film stuff from the latter two are restored from their original negatives).
Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
I know what you're talking about and I do agree, I hate when the 60fps framerate is manipulated to a film-like framerate because of streaming standards/fallbacks.
"Muppet Show" is native PAL, not NTSC. Disney Plus slowed it down from 25fps to 24 and left it at the wrong length and speed.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Really?

Is it in the correct pitch though (like the DVDs)?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Yeah, they "corrected" the pitch. The theme song being played back at the wrong speed makes the whole thing unwatchable for me.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

To me, if its in the correct pitch, there's nothing to really worry about. Bluey does that for the Disney broadcasts and I have no problem with that (the DVDs for that however play in the correct speed). But I do understand your opinion.

I am glad studios these days, even when converting PAL to NTSC, they always keep the correct PAL pitch in mind. Something Aardman has yet to do with the first 3 Wallace and Gromit shorts.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

For comedy, I think timing can matter, but the big problem for me is the theme song, because it's just too slow, and I'm too familiar with it. The songs in the show itself, I'm sure they're too slow, but I wouldn't know them well enough for it to likely bother me, but the theme just sounds wrong, it throws the whole thing off for me.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #38

Jul 2013
Washington State

I finally gave up on Disney doing the right thing here and releasing Season 4 & 5, however I know for a fact there were some at DHE that really wanted to. Anyway, I finally picked up the old Time Life "Best of" DVDs. A surprising number of season 4 & 5 episodes in that collection. I'm left wondering had Disney NOT bought the Muppets IP in the early 2000's if Time Life might have ultimately released the whole show? Who knows?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies