Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
14 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
18 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
15 hrs ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
12 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
18 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.99
41 min ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
18 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Evita (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I had a Crestron setup with a great interface and I abandoned it years ago and went back to using the individual remotes. I’d wager 90% of my watching habits these days are via AppleTV and that remote controls my AVR’s sound. I turn the projector and AVR off by hand when I’m done. The odd time I play a Blu Ray I use that remote and change the source on the AVR when I put the disc in. Harmony had a nice run... good for Logitech to move on... if the demand is truly out there someone else will fill it.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #22

Dec 2012

With HDMI control, most things switch over automatically now.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #23
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

Very sad to see... I've had my Harmony 880 for 15 years, and continue to use it daily - It's the only piece of home theatre equipment I haven't replaced/upgraded in that span of time.

Sorry, but no single-device remote can offer the flexibility and custom control the Harmony can.

I hope the software stays supported for the foreseeable future.
Thanks given by:
antennahead (04-13-2021), atfree (04-13-2021), BillieCassin (04-13-2021), ewsjr (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #24

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
The going "theory" around various places I look is that the average consumer actually has less devices now than ever, in some ways. Most people don't use external sound, and if they do, they use a soundbar, people are streaming everything so many don't even have disc players. And they are streaming more and more through the TV's themselves, etc. etc.

I guess I kind of see it. Personally, I also think that the quality of the product, at least from my experience, is also an issue - they are almost too good. My 650 is like 7-8 years old, it's the best $60 I've ever spent on a gadget - but they just got that $60 once. As happy a customer as I have been, I haven't had to buy any more yet (though I have recommended it to many).

It's funny, because the 650 series has always seemed like some secret trick people didn't know about. It was ideal, say, for setting up parents who didn't know anything - you could so easily label the buttons for them, and once it was all set-up, their lives were so much easier.

I think this is it. Since I got my new tv, i've been streaming alot now that the tv itself has all the apps; whereas before i would use my xbox. Two remotes is all i need now, tv and AVR; i can use my xbox controller when i watch a physical disc once or twice a week. The Sony remote that came with my tv even controls my cable box. The lights is all my harmony hub controls now because I'm too lazy to get up and take them off.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Very sad to see... I've had my Harmony 880 for 15 years, and continue to use it daily - It's the only piece of home theatre equipment I haven't replaced/upgraded in that span of time.

Sorry, but no single-device remote can offer the flexibility and custom control the Harmony can.

I hope the software stays supported for the foreseeable future.
Wonder if this is part of the problem... you haven't been a paying customer of Harmony for 15 years... how are they supposed to stay in business if people don't continue to buy their products?
Old 04-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #26

Aug 2019

I would really love Google to start making universal remotes that also interface with Google Home as an entry-level competitor to bigger control systems like Control4. I love being able to control all my gear, and even things like my dehumidifier in my basement theater room, but adding buttons or macros that would also dim lights and such would be amazing.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjaymay View Post
With HDMI control, most things switch over automatically now.
I've had many problems with that. I'm surprised HDMI CEC works flawlessly for everyone else.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #28

Sep 2014
Toronto

I've been using 650s for years. I bought one for my in-laws a couple of years ago, and cut down on the number of over the phone tutorial sessions by 99%.
They really have been one of the best bang for your buck investments. As other's have said, they are easy to program, infinitely customizable and DURABLE...

I never saw the need to spend a premium to upgrade...until a harmony ultimate one bundle fell into my lap for $60 CDN. My life changed that day...The remote is flimsy as hell compared to the 650 but the hub, with it's RF and IP capabilities , along with my google home have revolutionized the way my family and I use my Dadcave..

No need to point the remote at my stack (behind me), no need to use a separate dongle for my NVIDIA SHIELD, Voice commands via Google Home fed to the HUB. I can't go back...I WON'T
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #29

Nov 2014
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Iím outraged by this news. So no one is buying Universal remotes anymore?? Everyone is happy operating their TV, receiver, BD player and streaming device using separate remotes?? Are we kidding????

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/10/2...versal-remotes

Hi someone who uses separate remotes here. Why would I go spend $60 on a universal remote when the device already comes with a free remote? I've got three. One for the TV, one for the 4k Player (although the tv and player are LG and the tv remote works for the player, and the receiver remote (the tv remote also can power on the receiver).
Old 04-14-2021, 10:43 PM   #30

Dec 2010
North Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDougherty View Post
Hi someone who uses separate remotes here. Why would I go spend $60 on a universal remote when the device already comes with a free remote? I've got three. One for the TV, one for the 4k Player (although the tv and player are LG and the tv remote works for the player, and the receiver remote (the tv remote also can power on the receiver).
Great for those who house their gear inside a cabinet, and use a rf/ir to turn on/off. No remote which came with a device does it as well. Why would I want 3 or more remotes on my table. I'm to ocd for that lol
Old 04-15-2021, 12:31 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Isnít it very inconvenient to switch between three remotes all the time?

For example...

Iím ready to watch a BD. Grab the TV remote press power. Then grab the receiver remote and press power & switch inputs. Now grab the BD player remote and press power. Then when the BD player plays your movie, then switch back to the receiver remote to adjust the volume.

My goodness, are people happy doing that??

As you can see from my signature, I have 5 devices plus a Roku (which is not listed on my sig). No way am I going to have SIX remotes on my table!!!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:16 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Northwest, Ohio

I just picked the up the Harmony 665 yesterday at Best Buy. Is this worth picking up and keeping? I know it's not the top of the line but I can't afford that one. With them going out of business I'm afraid they'll sell out fast and probably won't get marked down.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:32 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
The reason I bought a Harmony remote, and the reason I like it, is because you can do things with it that you can't do with other universal remotes. Here's an example.

Let's say that you want to watch a Blu-ray and you want the sound to come through your receiver. With individual remotes that process is something like this.

Turn on TV
Set to correct input.
Turn on AVR
Set to correct input.
Turn on Blu-Ray
Do whatever steps necessary for the Blu-ray to start playing.

With my Harmony remote, I press "Watch a Blu-ray." The remote turns everything on and switches to all the correct inputs. The remote can then adjust the volume of my receiver and also navigate the menus on the Blu-ray.

It's more convenient and easier to do with a Harmony remote. It's just up to everybody to decide if that's worth it to them. Lastly, my Harmony comes with a charger. No need for batteries. That saves me money.
Thanks given by:
atfree (04-15-2021), BillieCassin (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:07 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Northwest, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
The reason I bought a Harmony remote, and the reason I like it, is because you can do things with it that you can't do with other universal remotes. Here's an example.

Let's say that you want to watch a Blu-ray and you want the sound to come through your receiver. With individual remotes that process is something like this.

Turn on TV
Set to correct input.
Turn on AVR
Set to correct input.
Turn on Blu-Ray
Do whatever steps necessary for the Blu-ray to start playing.

With my Harmony remote, I press "Watch a Blu-ray." The remote turns everything on and switches to all the correct inputs. The remote can then adjust the volume of my receiver and also navigate the menus on the Blu-ray.

It's more convenient and easier to do with a Harmony remote. It's just up to everybody to decide if that's worth it to them. Lastly, my Harmony comes with a charger. No need for batteries. That saves me money.
You must have the Harmony Elite? At $350 no way I can afford that.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:27 AM   #35

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
Dude, all Harmony remotes do that. Even the $60.00 ones.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:43 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Nope. Mine's an older one called the Harmony Ultimate One. I can't tell you the price but it was definitely not $350...and I'm talking Canadian.

I took a quick look and even the cheapest model - the 665 - can do it. It most likely just doesn't have as many activities that it can do.

Check out the Harmony website and look at the close up picture of the 665. You'll see Watch TV, Watch A Movie, Listen To Music and More Activities. That watch a movie can be programmed to do all of the steps that I outlined above.

One of the differences in the different remotes is the number of different components they can operate and the number of preset activities they can store.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:19 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
$350?!?! I only paid $50 for mine. I have the Harmony 665 and it does all that!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:43 AM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
$350?!?! I only paid $50 for mine. I have the Harmony 665 and it does all that!
I'm guessing that this poster doesn't really know much about these remotes. That's why I chose to provide some information as opposed to what you and others have done.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I know HDMI CEC can be a pain, but it means my receiver turns on when I turn the TV on, and 9 times out of 10 it also selects the right input.

When HDMI CEC and ARC didn't work for me, I blamed everything under the sun but it turned out it was my Humax PVR sending out garbage on pin 13 which broke HDMI control on everything in the chain whether the Humax was on standby or not. Using an adaptor to cut out that pin signal from the Humax meant it all started working as it should.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
T.

Ive got the elite in my theatre room and the companion in the living room.
One thing that is great about these two are that they are hub remotes, so you dont have to point the remote at the devices to turn them on. In my theatre, all components are behind the seating, so it would be a pain in the you know what when having to adjust the volume. Also, the hub remotes are bluetooth compatible, so they will turn on my nvidia shields!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion