Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Control (PS5)
$29.83
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$39.99

Marvel's Avengers (PS5)
$24.99

Monster Truck Championship (PS5)
$25.83

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS5)
$41.88

Spirit of the North Enhanced Edition (PS5)
$28.60

Balan Wonderworld (PS5)
$39.64

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$79.99

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

The Pathless (PS5)
$36.99

Ride 4 (PS5)
$33.99

Godfall (PS5)
$57.78
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Strong stereo 3D visuals take immersion to the next level (as does surround sound), and I can imagine will be an option (as well as 2D viewing of games) in the future when the power of a console isn't even a concern. The displays may be viewed in 2D or 3D and not require glasses but have the same strength as glasses 3D displays. That may be another 20+ years from now or so, but I hope sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
It’s actually quite smart from a business perspective.

Sony doesn’t have to pay licence fees on a unit sold if it hasn’t been connected to the Internet.
Interesting, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It needs to be updated, but it doesn't need to be connected to the internet. Many game discs include system updates on the disc (just not launch games) or you can download a system update from Playstation.com (or various other unofficial sites).

Additionally I expect that future PS5s will include a later version by default and will therefore work without ever needing to be updated.

That's not true either. On the PS4 you couldn't play Blu-rays or DVDs without connecting your system to the internet. But the PS5 can play Blu-rays and DVDs just fine.

Thanks for the info. That's good if there are newer PS5 discs that have the firmware updates installed on the disc. Good to hear if true, though I don't know which games they might be.

Yeah, I remember the PS4 couldn't even play a blu ray when I started it up. That was unbelievable in my opinion. Did they not have it ready in time to be put onto the console?
It reminds me of the whole theme of most video games these days, "We'll sell the game now and finish it later".
Old 04-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post

LMAO yes thank god! Because, you know, it would be the end of society as we know it if we couldn't watch movies in a beyond gimmicky format that adds what basically boils down to a cheap amusement park level thrill.

Movies existed long before 3D and they'll exist long after it's ultimate and total inevitable demise.
It's cool if 3d is not your thing, but I can say as someone whose had and enjoyed 3d in their HT on a 9' wide 2.35 projection screen since 2010, there is nothing "gimmicky" about it. It simply adds another dimension/element to the home theater experience in this type of setup.

Having said the above, watching 3d on your typical small ~60" flat panel in an open living room is not coming anywhere close to doing 3d justice so I can understand the ignorance in your post since you clearly havent experienced 3d in a good HT projection setup. You would change your tune most likely if you experienced 3d in a killer front projection HT setup.

It also makes sense that 3d failed as far as the market goes since most are not maxing the potential since most are watching on relatively small TV screens in a typical living room. I would have dropped 3d almost IMMEDIATELY if this is the type of setup I was limited to. So yeah, I get your limited ignorant perspective.
Thanks given by:
frogmort (04-11-2021), Jegærn (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #23

Jan 2021
USA

While it would be nice to see it patched in for legacy reasons, I'm not holding out much hope. The TV manufacturers stripping 3D out of new TV's was basically the death knell for 3D in the industry.

IMO the best time for it possibly happening is whenever Sony finally releases the VR 2.0 we know they have been working on.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #24
Special Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
It's often about what is most popular, as they even eliminated CD playback of all things. It can't play CDs...
People and their complaints about PS4/5 not playing music CDs. From what I heard it has a license that needs paid for by Sony to be able to do that with their system, a feature almost nobody will use. Who cares anyway? Pretty much everything else plays them. Just rip your discs and play then off a USB drive. My car I have had for over 5 years has a CD player in it, and I never used it. It also plays MP3s off a USB drive, which is the way I do it. The lack of backwards compatability (other than PS4), is what's appalling. At least there's always BC in a way with PS1 and PS2 on new Xbox consoles. lol
Old 04-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #25

Apr 2019

Isn't it partly because Ultra HD Blu-ray drives don't support it? I've assumed that would make it too much work. Sony never added CD support to PS4 either tbh.

The fact PS4 Pro doesn't support UHD is silly.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Smith View Post
It's cool if 3d is not your thing, but I can say as someone whose had and enjoyed 3d in their HT on a 9' wide 2.35 projection screen since 2010, there is nothing "gimmicky" about it. It simply adds another dimension/element to the home theater experience in this type of setup.

Having said the above, watching 3d on your typical small ~60" flat panel in an open living room is not coming anywhere close to doing 3d justice so I can understand the ignorance in your post since you clearly havent experienced 3d in a good HT projection setup. You would change your tune most likely if you experienced 3d in a killer front projection HT setup.

It also makes sense that 3d failed as far as the market goes since most are not maxing the potential since most are watching on relatively small TV screens in a typical living room. I would have dropped 3d almost IMMEDIATELY if this is the type of setup I was limited to. So yeah, I get your limited ignorant perspective.
If you haven't watched a 3D movie on an oculus rift, you should give that a go and stop worrying about game consoles and berating everyone else's 'ignorance'. 3D was a gimmick, like curved screens.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden96 View Post
Isn't it partly because Ultra HD Blu-ray drives don't support it? I've assumed that would make it too much work. Sony never added CD support to PS4 either tbh.

The fact PS4 Pro doesn't support UHD is silly.
Pretty much all high-end 4K UHD Blu-ray players support 3D Blu-ray playback. So it's not a matter of hardware compatibility. It's just up to Sony to add a few lines of code to the PS5 firmware and Blu-ray player app to enable 3D disc playback.
Thanks given by:
Jegærn (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #28

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
That comment is as clueless as if it is ridiculous and ignorant, especially your last two sentences. You're basically just outing yourself as a sheep who just does what the market tells you to do. Rational people would be more prone to thinking for themselves rather than just 'moving on' just because others did the same. Thankfully we at least have the likes of the 3D Film Archive and Kino Lorber who aren't daft enough to go along with your mentality and are still giving us classic 3d films. If they shared your mindset, we'd never see them.
Yup. Gotta love these smug posters who come in here and tell you what you should and shouldn't care about. And the guy wanted to talk about self-awareness... but clearly has no idea how he comes off. Anyway, onto the ignore list with that one.

OP, I sympathize with what you are saying here, but if you care about the format, you need to get a dedicated player. The days of consoles being good media players basically stopped with the PS3. The PS4 was a stop down, and they didn't even bother adding Dolby Vision support to the PS5. It may come in handy in a few occasions, but overall I wouldn't recommend a console as a primary disc player.
Thanks given by:
Jegærn (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #29

Mar 2012
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Look, if you like 3D that's great. But have some damn self-awareness man. Nobody is asking for this in 2021 (and before you even try to argue this, I don't literally mean "nobody" I just mean a very small niche of people). It's why TV manufacturers abandoned the tech. Because nobody gave a shit. They tried to push this tech and the market spoke loud and clear. Is it any wonder Sony is no longer interested in supporting it? You saying "well I will never buy a PS5 because they don't support my micro-market sized interest " is beyond petty and frankly childish. Incidentally, Xbox doesn't support 3D and neither does Nintendo. So what are you going to do? Just quit gaming altogether over this one feature? Fine if that's what you want to do but that is some all kinds of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Besides, if you have such a hardon for 3D, get a VR unit. That's the ultimate 3D experience.

Incidentally, I used to have a 3D TV has well. I bought a Panasonic plasma with active 3D and went out and bought extra glasses and a bunch of 3D Blu Rays. I also played a few PS3 games in 3D but over time, once it became apparent that widespread 3D adoption wasn't going to happen, I just simply moved on. That's what most rational consumers do. Doesn't mean I'm orchestrating a boycott against Panasonic for simply reaction to what the market doesn't care about.
It's not that you don't like 3D that makes you look like a troll. It's the way you talk down to people who simply wants Sony to put a simple line of code in their firmware to allow stereoscopic 3D on their new "superconsole". And you dare talk about "childish behaviour"? Get a f****g grip!

I ask again: what is your primary use of having a playstation?
Thanks given by:
Eidolon (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
If you haven't watched a 3D movie on an oculus rift, you should give that a go and stop worrying about game consoles and berating everyone else's 'ignorance'. 3D was a gimmick, like curved screens.
I haven't, but would love to check it out at some point!

No, it's not a gimmick if you have a good setup for it. 3d adds another dimension/layer to the experience just like surround sound, height channels, subwoofers, tactile transducers, large projection screens, etc......Again though, if you've never experienced a good setup, I can understand how you could think it's a gimmick.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #31
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

For those who say stereo 3D is a gimmick, close one eye for the rest of your life and tell me stereo 3D is still a gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Smith View Post

Sounds like a nice set up you have.

One thing I have discovered is even on a small screen or large projection, the impact of stereo 3D depends mostly on whether the 3D image is mild, medium or strong with its 3D layering, and pop outs if that's the goal of the film.

I've watched strong 3D films on a tiny 32" 3DTV to my 100+" 3D projector display, and strong 3D looks awesome on either one. Mild 3D films on the other hand, look almost 2D and a waste of 3D mostly. Thankfully there are lots of awesome, strong 3D films to watch on blu ray 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
People and their complaints about PS4/5 not playing music CDs. From what I heard it has a license that needs paid for by Sony to be able to do that with their system, a feature almost nobody will use. Who cares anyway? Pretty much everything else plays them. Just rip your discs and play then off a USB drive. My car I have had for over 5 years has a CD player in it, and I never used it. It also plays MP3s off a USB drive, which is the way I do it. The lack of backwards compatability (other than PS4), is what's appalling. At least there's always BC in a way with PS1 and PS2 on new Xbox consoles. lol
I still buy Cds when not buying MP3 only albums, but agree I mostly play them on my CD or in my car which can play MP3s or CDs. Even my PS2, I would play CDs sometimes and it's nice when I don't have a CD player. Even so, it's nice to have a CD player with anything that can play DVDs. I still watch DVDs, blu rays, UHD, blu ray 3D, and play CDs. But I see your point about Sony dropping Cd playback.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
For those who say stereo 3D is a gimmick, close one eye for the rest of your life and tell me stereo 3D is still a gimmick.

Sounds like a nice set up you have.

One thing I have discovered is even on a small screen or large projection, the impact of stereo 3D depends mostly on whether the 3D image is mild, medium or strong with its 3D layering, and pop outs if that's the goal of the film.

I've watched strong 3D films on a tiny 32" 3DTV to my 100+" 3D projector display, and strong 3D looks awesome on either one. Mild 3D films on the other hand, look almost 2D and a waste of 3D mostly. Thankfully there are lots of awesome, strong 3D films to watch on blu ray 3D.

I still buy Cds when not buying MP3 only albums, but agree I mostly play them on my CD or in my car which can play MP3s or CDs. Even my PS2, I would play CDs sometimes and it's nice when I don't have a CD player. Even so, it's nice to have a CD player with anything that can play DVDs. I still watch DVDs, blu rays, UHD, blu ray 3D, and play CDs. But I see your point about Sony dropping Cd playback.
I definitely agree that all 3d transfers are not equal and can range from nearly non existent to VERY strong and everything in between. Thankfully there are lots of strong 3d transfers out there though as you mention.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Thanks Todd.

There were too many weak, mild 3D films that were released in theaters and sadly the 3D film right after Avatar in December 2009 was the very mild and poorly converted Clash of the Titans 3D. They only had 2 weeks to get it done, and Prime Focus (now known as DNegative) has since redeemed itself with plenty of stronger 3D conversions. Those milder 3D films definitely put a damper on many people's potentially first impression with 3D, wondering what all the fuss was about while watching a mild 3D film in theaters with glasses on.

Marvel recently has been hitting it out of the park with strong 3D conversions that really show off what 3D is all about, in addition to the filmed strong 3D classics and rare strong 3D filmed movies these days. There are some filmed 3D movies that had no idea what makes 3D exciting, and went with mild 3D instead.

I have to check to see if Imax 3D is still being offered at theme parks. That studio often understands that strong 3D is the best 3D.
NWave for CGI animated films with their often strong 3D films. And so on.

But yeah, it'd be cool if down the line blu ray 3D was supported on PS5 if it makes a comeback after Avatar 2 3D hits theaters in 2022...
Thanks given by:
Jegærn (04-15-2021), Todd Smith (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #34
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Thanks Todd.

There were too many weak, mild 3D films that were released in theaters and sadly the 3D film right after Avatar in December 2009 was the very mild and poorly converted Clash of the Titans 3D. They only had 2 weeks to get it done, and Prime Focus (now known as DNegative) has since redeemed itself with plenty of stronger 3D conversions. Those milder 3D films definitely put a damper on many people's potentially first impression with 3D, wondering what all the fuss was about while watching a mild 3D film in theaters with glasses on.

Marvel recently has been hitting it out of the park with strong 3D conversions that really show off what 3D is all about, in addition to the filmed strong 3D classics and rare strong 3D filmed movies these days. There are some filmed 3D movies that had no idea what makes 3D exciting, and went with mild 3D instead.

I have to check to see if Imax 3D is still being offered at theme parks. That studio often understands that strong 3D is the best 3D.
NWave for CGI animated films with their often strong 3D films. And so on.

But yeah, it'd be cool if down the line blu ray 3D was supported on PS5 if it makes a comeback after Avatar 2 3D hits theaters in 2022...
Is Avatar 2 even going to have 3D. Cameron is known for trying niche things and being a leader in various technologies.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegærn View Post
Let me ask you. What is your main reason to own a playstation machine?
What a great question. What could possibly be the main reason people buy a video game console?

Man this is hard. I'm as confused about this as the time I was getting called weird when I bought a condom and put in on my big toe to keep it warm. Like what else would that have been used for right?
Thanks given by:
ratandjmt (04-13-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Is Avatar 2 even going to have 3D. Cameron is known for trying niche things and being a leader in various technologies.
Probably but the regular 3D we are used to. The new tech this time would be variable HFR from 24fps to 48fps then back seamless.

its still early to know if the PS5 will or will not have 3D bluray playback abilities, PS4 didn't get this update until months after release.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #37

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Quote:
He did just supervise the 3D conversion of Terminator 2, so it seems like he isn't done with this feature yet. Or I guess I should say this "useless gimmick"
Old 04-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #38
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselv73 View Post
He did just supervise the 3D conversion of Terminator 2, so it seems like he isn't done with this feature yet. Or I guess I should say this "useless gimmick"
Its not a useless gimmick. If done right 3D just like HFR has a place in the theatrical world. Avatar 1 in 3D was amazing, Star Wars Episode 1 was not. If the 3D pops and bring immersion it is well worth the price of admission. IE Avatar when the flowers were falling it felt like they were all around you that was worth it that was not a useless gimmick.

For Terminator or Star Wars you would need to feel like you are in the battle IE Harry Potter and OOTP, when the spells were going off all around you it was not useless it was well worth it.

Every movie does not need 3D, look at the 3D on First Avenger aside from the shield throw where it came out at you it was mostly useless. Thors Hammer coming at you is not useless.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:39 AM   #39
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

BS social media is needing to feed on Anger again.

This time it’s Sony’s week.

1) The closure of PSN stores
2) CMOS battery (Almost all electronics have this)
3) People don’t like Sony’s decision to make good games.

Last edited by Derb; 04-13-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #40

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Quote:
Its not a useless gimmick. If done right 3D just like HFR has a place in the theatrical world. Avatar 1 in 3D was amazing, Star Wars Episode 1 was not. If the 3D pops and bring immersion it is well worth the price of admission. IE Avatar when the flowers were falling it felt like they were all around you that was worth it that was not a useless gimmick.

For Terminator or Star Wars you would need to feel like you are in the battle IE Harry Potter and OOTP, when the spells were going off all around you it was not useless it was well worth it.

Every movie does not need 3D, look at the 3D on First Avenger aside from the shield throw where it came out at you it was mostly useless. Thors Hammer coming at you is not useless.
Just to clarify, I was quoting other posters in this thread (and many others) who called 3D a gimmick that has come and gone. I'm jealous that you even got to see Episode 1 in 3D, that was theatrical only right?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5