Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
10 hrs ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #101

Aug 2011
Connecticut

I'm in the process of getting my HT all set up. My father found 100ft of 18 gauge RCA (the brand) speaker wire he had lying around. It's completely unused. Has anyone even heard of this stuff? Should I just purchase some 14 or 12 gauge from Monoprice and skip this stuff?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #102

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
I'm in the process of getting my HT all set up. My father found 100ft of 18 gauge RCA (the brand) speaker wire he had lying around. It's completely unused. Has anyone even heard of this stuff? Should I just purchase some 14 or 12 gauge from Monoprice and skip this stuff?
funny you make RCA speaker wire sound like its super old or something. i knew them since they started alongside Acoustic Research.

is it usable? yes.

would i recommend 12 or 14 awg speaker wires over the 18? yes.

essentially, you can also use these for your surrounds. where did he find it? another thing to consider is the oxidation level on them.

depends on how you look at it actually, and of course, budget.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #103

Aug 2011
Connecticut

I just typed in the item number and it popped up on amazon. No oxidation level or anything about copper purity.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH18100N-1.../dp/B00005T3G0

http://rcaaudiovideo.com/connectivit...o/?sku=AH18100

Funny thing is the RCA link actually says "great for economy speakers". It was just some random wire he picked up years ago and never used. The package has a CC of 2001.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #104

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
funny you make RCA speaker wire sound like its super old or something. i knew them since they started alongside Acoustic Research.

is it usable? yes.

would i recommend 12 or 14 awg speaker wires over the 18? yes.

essentially, you can also use these for your surrounds. where did he find it? another thing to consider is the oxidation level on them.

depends on how you look at it actually, and of course, budget.
And that's about the only application I would use 18awg for.
Go for 12-14awg on your fronts and centre channel.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #105

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
I just typed in the item number and it popped up on amazon. No oxidation level or anything about copper purity.
it doesnt normally say anything about oxidation, it happens when a wire or any other metal is exposed for a long period of time to the elements. you will find that some wires after a couple of years loses its shine, thus the browning element that copper shows with its age.

heres a couple of threads for reading...

avsforumarchive

does it affect speaker performance? some say that it increases impendance, thus straining your AVR a bit. some say it doesnt, more or less aesthetics. its like the idea of cutting speaker wires to be the same length to avoid having delay or what not.

Quote:
Funny thing is the RCA link actually says "great for economy speakers". It was just some random wire he picked up years ago and never used. The package has a CC of 2001.

its economical due to the speakers AWG or 'width' if you want to call it that. the larger the AWG the better the conductivity, thus we prefer larger speaker wires, with 16 to be the minimum.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #106

Aug 2011
Connecticut

Thanks for the replies, that was quite helpful. It still seems somewhat shiny, I think he had it in a drawer. One of the ends doesn't look the best, but I can obviously not use that. My rear speakers will run about 25 ft a piece.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #107

Dec 2010
Canton,MI

set up the new speakers and couldnt be happier, but I noticed last night when the furnace kicks on and off I get a little crack noise. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #108

Jan 2012
Houston

Thanks for this post, I'm pretty overwhelmed and it helps
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #109
friartuck

Default hello....

Speaker/sterio music 101
Ok, I have one of those huuggee Ipods (the classic ones) and basically I have this lameoid 2 inch by 2 inch speaker for it earphones. Also, I know nothing about like, stereo systems.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #110
Special Member

Jul 2011

I'm looking for a soundbar under $200. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #111
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4butler View Post
I'm looking for a soundbar under $200. Does anyone have suggestions?
Zvox Audio is a company that specializes in building very good soundbars. You can buy their speakers directly from the company or from Amazon.

http://zvoxaudio.com/
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_786pnh6y9t_e

Soundbars were pretty rare a few years ago. Today, most speaker manufacturers build them and stores such as Best Buy, Costco, etc. carry them.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #112

Dec 2012

Thanks for this information~!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #113

Aug 2009
-
Default Which Terminal?

I know this question has been answered somewhere on this site, but for the life of me, I cannot find the answer.

My speakers are fitted with two goldplated metal five way binding posts. While I am considering bi-wiring sometime down the road, I am currently using one regular speaker cable with banana plugs. The two pair of binding posts are connected by a gold busbar.

Does it matter into which pair -- top or bottom -- I plug in the speaker cable? I'm assuming the busbar connects them making them equal... but I'd be happier knowing from the experts if one is better to plug into than the other?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #114

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry110 View Post
I know this question has been answered somewhere on this site, but for the life of me, I cannot find the answer.

My speakers are fitted with two goldplated metal five way binding posts. While I am considering bi-wiring sometime down the road, I am currently using one regular speaker cable with banana plugs. The two pair of binding posts are connected by a gold busbar.

Does it matter into which pair -- top or bottom -- I plug in the speaker cable? I'm assuming the busbar connects them making them equal... but I'd be happier knowing from the experts if one is better to plug into than the other?
It shouldn't matter as far as I can tell. Totem Acoustic had even said to cross them (one top one bottom). I tried all three configurations and couldn't hear a difference.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #115

Aug 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
It shouldn't matter as far as I can tell. Totem Acoustic had even said to cross them (one top one bottom). I tried all three configurations and couldn't hear a difference.
Thanks, Johnny.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #116

Jul 2014

Is it worth paying extra for decent speakers?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #117

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engage View Post
Is it worth paying extra for decent speakers?
In general....yes. Can you elaborate?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #118

Aug 2014
Default speaker guage from the picture

Can any of the gurus here point out the guage of the speaker wire guage looking at these picture. We just bought a home, which has been wired and speakers installed for multiroom speaker system. We are trying to hook up the electronics to make it all work.

The yellow wire says 16awc, but the black wire does not say anything. Can you all tell what the black wire guage is? Also, why does the yellow cable have 4 cables inside, whereas the black has just 2? Sorry for questions from a novice.

Also, I am planning to use the following components to connect to my 5.1 system in the living room along with the multiroom speakers. Please advice if they are good and can upgrade/downgrade any components. Again I am a novice, so any advice will be taken.

Components I have:
1080p/3d smart TV
3d blue ray player
5.1 klipsche speaker system installed in the living room
multiroom klipse speakers( 3 rooms) installed.

Components needed to buy:
Onkyo 636
Polk 10" Powered 200W subwoofer
Niles 4 way speaker selector
Furman AC Power Filtration and Surge Protection
URC MX 880 Universal remote with color screen
URC MRF 350 RF to IR emitter system.

pictures of the speaker wires attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-01 07.44.59.jpg (96.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-01 07.45.41.jpg (70.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #119
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumana.mine View Post
Can any of the gurus here point out the guage of the speaker wire guage looking at these picture. We just bought a home, which has been wired and speakers installed for multiroom speaker system. We are trying to hook up the electronics to make it all work.

The yellow wire says 16awc, but the black wire does not say anything. Can you all tell what the black wire guage is? Also, why does the yellow cable have 4 cables inside, whereas the black has just 2? Sorry for questions from a novice.
Hard to do with no frame of reference. If your pictures also had something of a known size in them, like a ruler or a dime or something, then it might be possible to estimate that gauge.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcont...type=WireGuage

Visit the above web site and print out the chart, then you can measure it yourself.

Edit:

Here is another chart that might help. http://elmec.com.au/images/wwb_img57.jpg

And a chart for wire gauge vs distance http://www.decktunes.com/images/grap...wire_chart.jpg Most speakers are 8 ohm but check yours to confirm.

And finally http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CzaCgylIgJ...hart+guide.jpg

Last edited by ImPulSive; 08-15-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #120
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2012
Missouri

Wasnt sure where to ask this question, but I am thinking of moving my Sony speakers to the the rear in my 7.1 system replacing the cheapo Yamaha ones, and getting some Polk 60s to go on the side where the Sony's were. Is it overkill to have floorstanding speakers all around? Should I just look for some good bookshelf style ones for the rear instead?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers