Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
10 hrs ago
Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
10 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
9 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
16 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
10 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
11 hrs ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Movie Polls

View Poll Results: Which is the better movie: Batman Begins or TDK?
Batman Begins 142 39.01%
The Dark Knight 222 60.99%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy23 View Post
I think they're both very weak actresses and neither are very good looking.
Never liked Kate Holmes, she annoys the crap out of me with her voice. I thought Maggie did a better job and could care less how she looks, she was simply better.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Never liked Kate Holmes, she annoys the crap out of me with her voice. I thought Maggie did a better job and could care less how she looks, she was simply better.

haha I know what you mean about the voice. I wouldn't really say Maggie did a better job, I thought they both were complete throwaway characters and performances.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Let's be honest, you were not intrigued by Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker prior to his death? Call it what you want, but Heath's performance sold this flick, dead or alive.
I wish there was a computer simulation to show the sales figures and responses to the movie with and without a Ledger Death. Of course it's impossible but it really is too bad. I know for myself, until Ledger had died, I hadn't heard anything about his upcoming peformance, then in an instant TDK was the most searched topic on the internet. I feel his death sold the moive. Yes, the Joker was a good dark Villian but no better than any decent bad guy.

If you ask me, which you are, the Villian in Pan's Labrynth did more for that movie than the Joker for TDK.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #24
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
I know this question was not directed at me, so I apologize for answering: no, I was not intrigued by Ledger playing Joker before he died. I very vividly remember reading on Rottentomatoes that he was announced as Joker, when there had been speculation that it was going to be Johnny Depp and other such actors. I actually laughed a bit to myself because I just couldn't see it and I did not think Ledger was a very good actor (yes, I know he was good in Brokeback but that's about it). So, no, I def was not excited when I found out about it and I know many ppl that feel the same.

That being said, he was fantastic in the role and proved me wrong. He deserved to win the Oscar without a doubt, although he certainly benefited from the weakest best supporting actor group in many years. His performance was not as good as some of the other winners from this decade and his death certainly affected the Academy voters, but regardless of this effect, he deserved to win.
At the time of the announcement, I could not place Heath in Joker Face, or even put him in the same light as Jack Nicholson's version of the same character.

When the teasers began to float around the web, I was in total disbelief, this was something big!!!

What solidified this role for me was actually Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent, which pretty much took this genre out of the same mold as the Spidermans, Fantastic Fours, and Hulk films.

Both films set the bar for Comic Book films because of their realism, character development and intensity, what more could you ask.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
BB actually gets better with every viewing. The plot has many layers and I pick up something new every time.
Just wait until you've seen it as many times as I have and you start noticing the repetitive dialogue. The word "fear" is used so often you could kill yourself with a drinking game based on it.

As for the two movies, I plead the 5th. Neither one of them is perfect and I'd rate them both around a 8/10. They're on a similar level to each other, but for different reasons.

Quote:
It is fine to consider TDK a better film, but to include writing and editing among the things that make it better is very confusing to me since both were undeniably weak in TDK (while other things could certainly be argued as better, such as acting and sound).
I agree, although the writing is undeniably weak in Batman Begins too. Like I mentioned above, just count the number of times the word "fear" is used. The climax is also very stupid (microwave emitter), just like one of TDK's climaxes (ferry boat/Sonar/SWAT) is very stupid. I say one of TDK's climaxes because it had two of them at the end of the movie, the second of which I felt was AWESOME (Dent/Gordon/Batman in an intimate setting). The very fact that it even had 2 climaxes is a sign of weak writing though. The editing was definitely better in Batman Begins. It had much better transitions from scene to scene whereas TDK's was choppier.

Last edited by Blu-Malibu2009; 11-14-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
McKinney, TX

While TKD is an excellent film, my vote goes to Batman Begins. I loved seeing the origin story and the explanation for why Batman is Batman.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckent22 View Post
The scenes with Liam Neeson in Begins were pretty cool, but I think The Dark Knight is better. I recently watched the first Batman with Keaton and Jack Nicholson and I have to say, Nicholson's Joker is right up there with Ledger's. The Dark Knight is better overall, but Batman Begins is close behind.
JeeeZUS man... don't say that, you're risking being beaten to death by Heath Ledger converts.

Logan
Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
Banned

Nov 2008
-

wow nice post op, this is very close... their both excellent movies... however i have to give the slight edge to the dark knight.. their were some scenes in this movie were i actually said wow
Old 11-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

I like that the poll result is relatively close so far. Hopefully it stays that way. Sadly, there are many people in the "general public" who haven't even seen Batman Begins but have seen The Dark Knight.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Batman Begins.

I've been fairly vocal in my dislike for The Dark Knight. There's a number of things wrong with it in my eyes. However I have softened in my dislike for Batman Begins. Mostly thanks to Dark Knight making me feel better about BB. It's a decent origin story, even if it suffers from a number of problems. It's still a film I can rewatch without being annoyed by, unlike it's follow-up. And even Bale's losange required Bat-Growl isn't nearly as bad. And there's less moments in the film with long winded pointless speeches, particularly by Alfred.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

This is going to come across a little one note, but I find Batman Begins very boring.

so my votes The Dark Knight
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

I like both, but I feel Begins spent to much time telling his origin and the villains were under-used, especially Scarecrow. I guess my vote goes to The Dark Knight although I was upset they "killed" Two-Face at the end when it could have been a great lead up to a third movie.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Dover, Pennsylvania PSN:WORKINtheCORNER
Send a message via MSN to PH3AR Send a message via Skype™ to PH3AR

It was close since the joker was creepy and played perfectly but im still going with Batman Begins
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
And there's less moments in the film with long winded pointless speeches, particularly by Alfred.
Not really. I think they both contain a similar amount of speechifying.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #35
Banned

Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
I go back and forth on this one. Which do you think is the better movie? Both are masterpieces in my book, but I think Begins might, just might, have the edge.

Post your votes and opinions please.

Why have a thread on something so obvious ?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #36
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

Have you taken a look at the poll? It's pretty even.

The Dark Knight is my answer most of the time. But sometimes it is Batman Begins. I've never been able to decide a clear winner. Today I'm going with Begins.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Batman Begins.

A much deeper and richer film overall: how much deeper can you get than a psychoanalysis of Bruce Wayne with accompanying childhood footage, and the necessary rehab?

TDK was good, but not great. Here's my main problem with TDK in a nutshell: it all hinged on Joker mocking "schemers" who "scheme", and how he would expose them...am i the only one who sees the irony here: the Joker himself is also "scheming" to "de-scheme" the "schemers"
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
Special Member

Oct 2008

I voted for TDK. Both are hands down top notch films. But imo TDK had the benefit of BB setting up this world to a literally unsuspecting audience. TDK was more like BB Unleashed if you get what I mean.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Dover, Pennsylvania PSN:WORKINtheCORNER
Send a message via MSN to PH3AR Send a message via Skype™ to PH3AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Have you taken a look at the poll? It's pretty even.

The Dark Knight is my answer most of the time. But sometimes it is Batman Begins. I've never been able to decide a clear winner. Today I'm going with Begins.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #40
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Not sure how this is even a discussion. I absolutely love Batman Begins but it's not half the movie Dark Knight is. Dark Knight doesn't just set us up for the story, it slams us in the face with it at 90 miles an hour and never lets up. I actually think the third one will be even better but we'll just have to wait and see.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Movie Polls