Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
18 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
8 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
13 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Movie Polls

View Poll Results: Which is the better movie: Batman Begins or TDK?
Batman Begins 142 39.01%
The Dark Knight 222 60.99%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #41

Oct 2009

Batman Begins, but TDK is really close. I like how Begins made Bruce Wayne/Batman the focus of the enitre movie, really getting into his character. The Dark Knight, like the earlier batman films of the 90's, was a mix of villian stories with batman, but still executed very well. Begins just stands out in that aspect for me.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTUBatfan2008 View Post
Not really. I think they both contain a similar amount of speechifying.
I don't think so. In Dark Knight he randomly breaks out into these long winded stories.

Examples of Bruce and Alfred in Batman Begins:
Quote:
Bruce Wayne: Bats are nocturnal.
Alfred Pennyworth: Bats may be, but even for billionaire playboys, three o'clock is pushing it. The price of leading a double life, I fear. Your theatrics made an impression.
Bruce Wayne: Theatricality and deception are powerful weapons, Alfred. It's a good start.
Alfred Pennyworth: If those are to be the first of many injuries to come, it would be wise to find a suitable excuse. Polo, for instance.
Bruce Wayne: I'm not learning polo, Alfred.
Alfred Pennyworth: Strange injuries a non-existent social life, these things beg the question as to what exactly does Bruce Wayne do with his time and his money.
Bruce Wayne: And what does someone like me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Drive sports cars, date movie stars, buy things that are not for sale... who knows, Master Wayne? You start pretending to have fun, you might even have a little by accident.
Quote:
Alfred Pennyworth: When you told me your grand plan for saving Gotham, the only thing that stopped me from calling the men in white coats was when you said that it wasn't about thrill-seeking.
Bruce Wayne: It's not.
Alfred Pennyworth: What would you call *that*?
Bruce Wayne: Damn good television. y accident.
And we have Alfred's dialogue from The Dark Knight:

Quote:
Alfred Pennyworth: A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.
Bruce Wayne: Then why steal them?
Alfred Pennyworth: Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Quote:
Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.
Bruce Wayne: Well today I found out what Batman can't do. He can't endure this. Today you get to say "I told you so."
Alfred Pennyworth: Today, I don't want to.
Alfred Pennyworth: But I did bloody tell you.
Quote:
Bruce Wayne: Targeting me won't get their money back. I knew the mob wouldn't go down without a fight, but this is different. They crossed the line.
Alfred Pennyworth: You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.
Bruce Wayne: Criminals aren't complicated, Alfred. Just have to figure out what he's after.
Alfred Pennyworth: With respect, sir, perhaps this is a man that *you* don't fully understand.
Almost everytime Alfred opens his mouth in TDK he's tossing out some long winded pointless story or some commentary on things. His character especially suffers in TDK. He's like a goddamn fortune cookie at times.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #43
Special Member

Feb 2009
England, UK

Quote:
The editing was definitely better in Batman Begins. It had much better transitions from scene to scene whereas TDK's was choppier.
Agreed, If anyone denys this watch the part where Batman tries to catch up to The Joker's truck on the Batpod. This scene is incredibly choppy
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomaly7 View Post
Batman Begins, but TDK is really close. I like how Begins made Bruce Wayne/Batman the focus of the enitre movie, really getting into his character. The Dark Knight, like the earlier batman films of the 90's, was a mix of villian stories with batman, but still executed very well. Begins just stands out in that aspect for me.
Good post. I think an argument can be made that The Dark Knight is a better film overall but Batman Begins is a better Batman film. Batman Begins is the only live action Batman film that properly focuses on Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I don't think so. In Dark Knight he randomly breaks out into these long winded stories.

Examples of Bruce and Alfred in Batman Begins:

And we have Alfred's dialogue from The Dark Knight:

Almost everytime Alfred opens his mouth in TDK he's tossing out some long winded pointless story or some commentary on things. His character especially suffers in TDK. He's like a goddamn fortune cookie at times.
The speech about Burma was far from pointless.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #46
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

I liked the speeches. I didn't find them pointless at all, they always pertained to what was happening at the moment.
Differing opinions though, I won't beat you over the head with it (that's what the Star Trek thread is for )

The thing I liked most about Alfred in TDK was that every time Bruce tried to say something about the mob going over the line, Alfred would basically say, "No, it was YOU who crossed the line." Bruce doesn't realize it (or maybe he just doesn't accept it) and Alfred has to straighten him out.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1980 View Post
Not sure how this is even a discussion. I absolutely love Batman Begins but it's not half the movie Dark Knight is. Dark Knight doesn't just set us up for the story, it slams us in the face with it at 90 miles an hour and never lets up. I actually think the third one will be even better but we'll just have to wait and see.
Agreed. It's nowhere near as bad as Dark Knight.

At least Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow felt like the characters they were portraying.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #48
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy23 View Post
I know this question was not directed at me, so I apologize for answering: no, I was not intrigued by Ledger playing Joker before he died. I very vividly remember reading on Rottentomatoes that he was announced as Joker, when there had been speculation that it was going to be Johnny Depp and other such actors. I actually laughed a bit to myself because I just couldn't see it and I did not think Ledger was a very good actor (yes, I know he was good in Brokeback but that's about it). So, no, I def was not excited when I found out about it and I know many ppl that feel the same.

That being said, he was fantastic in the role and proved me wrong. He deserved to win the Oscar without a doubt, although he certainly benefited from the weakest best supporting actor group in many years. His performance was not as good as some of the other winners from this decade and his death certainly affected the Academy voters, but regardless of this effect, he deserved to win.
He was brilliant (not the films themselves) in Casanova and A Knights Tale. Have you seen the little aussie indie flick Candy? He was sensational there...and it was a great little film.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I liked the speeches. I didn't find them pointless at all, they always pertained to what was happening at the moment.
Differing opinions though, I won't beat you over the head with it (that's what the Star Trek thread is for )

The thing I liked most about Alfred in TDK was that every time Bruce tried to say something about the mob going over the line, Alfred would basically say, "No, it was YOU who crossed the line." Bruce doesn't realize it (or maybe he just doesn't accept it) and Alfred has to straighten him out.
But Alfred goes from a vital and interesting character to just a pointless blabbermouth.

Both Alfred and Lucius Fox (and their actors) are just wasted in Dark Knight.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Have you seen the little aussie indie flick Candy? He was sensational there...and it was a great little film.
He was also great in Monster's Ball.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
But Alfred goes from a vital and interesting character to just a pointless blabbermouth.

Again, how exactly was the Burma speech pointless? Bruce was confused by what was going on. Alfred told that story to make the point, which he very clearly makes at the end of the speech, that some things simply cannot be explained and that some people are simply evil...not greedy like mobsters, just flat-out evil. Bruce was having a tough time comprehending that the Joker didn't seem to have any motives behind his actions. It was a new level of criminal that he was dealing with.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #52
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Good post. I think an argument can be made that The Dark Knight is a better film overall but Batman Begins is a better Batman film. Batman Begins is the only live action Batman film that properly focuses on Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Exactly. Batman Begins is all out about Bruce. The Dark Knight is more broad.

You could also make the argument that The Dark Knight was about Harvey Dent. One of the main themes of the movie was the struggle for his soul.

Quote:

I thought he was still interesting, but what is and what isn't interesting will vary greatly between individuals. He was a very important character in The Dark Knight as well as Begins.

I wouldn't say they were "wasted" personally, but it would have been nice to see more. I hope if/when the 3rd is made Lucius and Alfred actually have at least one scene together. The only time they've met in the films is when Bruce was drugged.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I don't think I've seen Heath Ledger in a film I didn't like, to be honest. Yes Dark Knight had its problems and issues, I do hope though that Nolan listens to the people who didn't like it as well as the fanboys who loved it. TBH I now think Watchmen is in a whole other league from Dark Knight and I hope the next Batman Nolan film will be on that level. Batman is one of my favourite heroes of all time and he deserves a movie of that caliber.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:

You could also make the argument that The Dark Knight was about Harvey Dent. One of the main themes of the movie was the struggle for his soul.

I don't even think it's really an argument that needs to be made. Chris Nolan himself has said that Dent's story is the center of the film.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #55
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I don't even think it's really an argument that needs to be made. Chris Nolan himself has said that Dent's story is the center of the film.
Well some people seem to think it isn't, so that's why I say "make the argument".

If you pay attention to the film, you can clearly see that it is about him.

So many people say "It's not about Batman, it's about the Joker!"
Wrong.

Edit: That is why I don't understand when people say they didn't get enough Dent. The movie was about him!!!

Last edited by Diesel; 11-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1980 View Post
I don't think I've seen Heath Ledger in a film I didn't like, to be honest. Yes Dark Knight had its problems and issues, I do hope though that Nolan listens to the people who didn't like it as well as the fanboys who loved it. TBH I now think Watchmen is in a whole other league from Dark Knight and I hope the next Batman Nolan film will be on that level. Batman is one of my favourite heroes of all time and he deserves a movie of that caliber.
I'd put Watchmen on a similar level to Nolan's Batman films (ie 8/10). It's not perfect either. Snyder's obsession with slow-mo and his piss poor song choices are as distracting as Nolan's quick cut fight scenes or the annoying Batman voice.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas

Quote:

Edit: That is why I don't understand when people say they didn't get enough Dent. The movie was about him!!!
They probably mean they didn't get enough Two-Face. Personally I felt Eckhart did a good job for what he was asked to do, but I didn't like the Nolan brothers' writing for the character. He was too much of a good person as Dent before the accident. I prefer the Animated Series version where he shows a split personality before the accident. The TDK version of Two-Face felt like a guy out for revenge and nothing more.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #58
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Yeah Dent was such a white knight before he changed that he was believable as the true identity of the hero Batman. I don't remember much about Dent in the comics but I doubt he was THAT much of a straight arrow.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #59
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Southern Utah

I voted for TDK. Everything in the movie is just perfect in my opinion. Batman Begins is no slouch by any means as that is a terrific movie also. I love both of them as they are two of the best Batman movies ever made.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #60
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Both movies have flaws, and both have aspects that I love. Each one has enough strong points for me to say that I love them both. I am going with TDK because of the cinematography and score. They sucked me in more. That said, the origin story of BB was awesome. TDK by half an inch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Movie Polls