Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$47.98
17 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Hajime No Ippo the Fighting! Fighting Spirit Collection 02 (Blu-ray)
$42.49
14 hrs ago
Vampire Pink (Blu-ray)
$25.47
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Kentucky
Default AMC's "The Walking Dead" (Season 10)

Synopsis

Based on the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead tells the story of a small group of survivors living in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Most of the story takes place in the Atlanta metropolitan area, and then the surrounding countryside of Northern Georgia, as the survivors search for a safe haven away from the shuffling hordes of predatory "walkers" (as the zombies are referred to in the show) who devour any living thing they catch, and whose bite is infectious to humans.

The plot is focused primarily on the dilemmas the group faces as they struggle to balance their humanity with their survival against the zombie horde, and later, how they cope with members being killed and deal with other human survivors they encounter, many of whom are dangerous and predatory themselves.

The group is led by Rick Grimes, who was a sheriff's deputy before the zombie outbreak. At every turn they are faced with the horror of the dead walking again, the changing dynamic of their group, and hostility from the scattered remains of a struggling human populace who are focused on their own survival now that the structures of society have collapsed.

Cast

Season 4

Season 5

Enhanced Viewing

The Talking Dead

[Show spoiler]

The Talking Dead is a one-hour live talk show in which host Chris Hardwick discusses episodes of the AMC television series The Walking Dead with guests, including celebrity fans, cast members, and crew from the series. The show went from a 30-minute show in seasons 1 and 2 to a one-hour show beginning in season 3. The Talking Dead airs Sundays following the first viewing of The Walking Dead.

Season 2 - Webisodes

Season 3 - Webisodes

Season 4 - Webisodes

Blu-ray Releases

The Walking Dead Season 1 2-Disc Edition

The Walking Dead Season 1 3-Disc Special Edition

The Walking Dead Season 2

The Walking Dead Season 2 Limited Edition (Zombie Head)

The Walking Dead Season 3

The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition (The Governor's Aquarium Case Full Of Heads)

The Walking Dead Season 4

The Walking Dead Season 4 Exclusive MacFarlane Toys Tree Walker Case

Last edited by Scottie; 07-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Thanks given by:
janekors (10-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #2

Mar 2008
Forest Hills, Queens NY

Excellent news indeed, thanks OP. I am a huge fan of the Walking Dead comic series, it's one of the best titles on the market right now and I can't wait to see how they adapt it into a TV series.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adegan View Post
Excellent news indeed, thanks OP. I am a huge fan of the Walking Dead comic series, it's one of the best titles on the market right now and I can't wait to see how they adapt it into a TV series.
I personally haven't read comics since I was a kid, but they sure seem to be turning a lot of them into really great adaptations, so the source materials and pre-exisiting imagery must help massively. This sounds like a fun AMC project to me, so i'd down.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Exclusive: A review of the pilot script for The Walking Dead TV series

Is there such a thing as having too much dead people in your entertainment quota?

The answer to that question will only be known if AMC decides to give a greenlight to a TV series based on Robert Kirkman's ongoing comic book series about life after the zombie apocalypse, The Walking Dead. If you haven't been paying attention, the 2000s saw the zombie finally rise to mainstream status with a horde of well-received movies in this monster genre: the Resident Evil films (with a fourth now in production); a remake of Dawn of the Dead; 28 Days Later and its sequel which gave the idea of a slow moving corpse a twist with its fast runners; zombie comedies Zombieland and Fido; and the return of the father of modern zombie cinema, George A. Romero, with two new ghoul films, Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead (and there's a third forthcoming, Survival of the Dead.)

With all of that box office success one would think that television executives would be looking to cash in on the zombie hype and get a TV series on the air. Actually, one network did try: back in 2007 CBS ordered a pilot called Babylon Fields which could be best described as a drama set after the dead return from the grave. After viewing the pilot the network decided that the show didn't fit in with the network's fall schedule, and so a series was never ordered. So much for zombies on the tube, right?

Well, not really. Just like any good zombie it's hard to keep the idea of a zombie TV series dead and buried. Last summer the rights to Kirkman's Walking Dead were sold to AMC. Fans of the book may have felt somewhat reassured when it was also mentioned that Frank Darabont would be directing the pilot, as well as writing the pilot's screenplay and serving as an executive producer on the show. The director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Majestic, The Green Mile and The Mist, Darabont was also a producer on a proposed sequel to The Thing, the 1982 John Carpenter movie. Unfortunately that four-hour mini-series never got further than the screenplay stage, but when I reviewed it last year, I found the script to be an outstanding idea for a continuation of The Thing. If Darabont could bring some of that quality found in the Thing mini-series sequel to The Walking Dead TV show, then AMC's Mad Men audience may be in for a real ride.

Only as recently as last week did AMC order a pilot to be made from Darabont's Walking Dead screenplay. If the cable network likes what they see then there'll be a Walking Dead TV series coming as soon as this fall or perhaps around the start of 2011. So, here is the big question: does Darabont's Walking Dead pilot have the necessary ingredients to be not just a decent horror TV series but a good drama?

The answer: Yes, it does.

Contained in Darabont's 60-page pilot script are all the elements to make the show a success. There's plenty of horror that happens in those 60 pages. The director's script covers the broad range of the zombie horror emotional spectrum, such as giving us moments of extreme gore (hey, any zombie TV show wouldn't be a zombie show if it didn't have folks being munched on!), moments of shock value (hey, you didn't think that there was a zombie hiding behind that car, did you?) and the moments that I believe are the best indicator that The Walking Dead TV series has what it takes to transcend the boundaries of being simply labelled a horror show, the psychological horror scenes. Those scenes are the hammers that you're going to remember and the ones that are going to propel this show to be viewed as something more important than just a scary show.

If you're familiar with the beginnings of the comic then you'll be on familiar ground when you watch the pilot episode, even though it would appear that Darabont isn't interested in making a direct adaptation of the comic book's origin story. Our hero is Officer Rick Grimes, a deputy for a small Georgia town outside of Atlanta. About 15 pages into our story Grimes is involved in a police incident where he receives a near-fatal injury. After being taken to the hospital and falling into a short coma, our law enforcement man awakens to find the hospital empty and the telltale signs that something very bad has gone down while he was out. The way that Darabont chooses to introduce Grimes to the post-zombie world is nearly identical to the opening moments of Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later but it's forgivable; the impact of the changed world is that much more heightened with Grimes serving as our introduction to it.

From there Grimes tries to find his family, his wife Lori and their young son Carl. He returns to his home and finds the neighborhood deserted, his wife and son gone. Still not fully comprehending what's happened, Grimes is saved by another father and son who have taken up shelter in a neighbor's house. From these two survivors Grimes learns about the zombie plague and the rules of life: if you're bitten, if a zombie so much as scratches you, you become infected, you die and then you become a zombie yourself. We're also shown some of the rules of the game that the Walking Dead zombies adhere to: there are "walkers", the ones that slowly come up to you. The walkers are slow and a head shot will take them out. That said, there's a lot of walkers out there and if they decide to come at you at once, save that last bullet for yourself, you dig?

From his new neighbors Grimes is told that his family may have decided to head into Atlanta where the government was setting up a safety zone. With that info, Grimes heads off by himself and makes his way into the city. What happens in the next 20-or-so minutes is pretty intense for our hero and I want to leave it for Darabont to show to you.

I'm not sure if Darabont is the kind of guy that puts in camera effects into all of his screenplays but in his Walking Dead script there are a couple of places where he describes the visual tricks that he wants to do to heighten the surreal nature of a scene. There's a moment where Grimes is in a tough situation and has to fire a pistol at close quarters at a zombie. In the environment that he's in, Grimes is momentarily deafened by the blast. In Darabont's script, the description of what we the viewer should experience to communicate the deafness is in there. Reading that sort of scene as well as a few others like that made me more interested in seeing what Darabont's visual style is going to be in this show.

If you were a fan of the comic book before, now you know that the pilot's set-up of the Walking Dead story follows a similar arc as the comic's but it's not exact. I'd guess that about half to two-thirds of the first two issues are contained in the pilot episode but there's also new material. For instance, we now get to see the incident that brought Grimes to the hospital (the comic begins with him coming to in his deserted room) and there's some changes with what happens when he is in Atlanta that differ with the comic's depiction of events. Darabont seems to know what he's doing and in the places where he chooses to include new material, with his changes/additions better serving the story and bring more characterization (at the beginning and middle) and intensity (at the end). In particular there was a new revelation concerning the plight of the other father that Grimes finds living in his old neighborhood that's not in the comic. This new material really underscored the sense of what kind of deep and unsettling world the survivors are now living in.

Darabont's also done a solid job of knowing what works from The Walking Dead and sometimes reproducing it exactly in his screenplay, such as the case with the bicycle Grimes comes across and the reaction of its former owner to the officer's arrival.

The Walking Dead pilot doesn't sell out its concept for the sake of finding a wider audience. This is a show set in a world where families have died and the survivors haven't had the time to cope with their losses, much less come to terms with civilization collapsing around them. Knowing the course that Kirkman's comic book takes and now after seeing how Darabont's chose to make the pilot more of a drama than a flat-out horror action show, AMC's Walking Dead has fantastic potential. The Walking Dead could even do for horror what the new Battlestar Galactica did for science fiction. Cross your fingers and hope that the show comes together as well as it did on the page.

Source
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

AMC casts 'Walking Dead' lead

Quote:
AMC has cast Andrew Lincoln as the lead in its zombie apocalypse thriller "The Walking Dead."

Lincoln ("Teachers," "Love Actually") will play Rick Grimes, a small-town cop who leads a group of survivors in their struggle against a world besieged by zombies.

As previously announced Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific") will play Shane, a survivor who was Rick's police partner before the zombie disaster.

“Andrew Lincoln, wow--what an amazing find this guy is," said Robert Kirkman, who wrote the comic book series upon which the series is based. "Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living breathing human being and yet here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together."

"Walking Dead" starts shooting in June in Atlanta, with Frank Darabont as writer, director and executive producer.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Apr 2010
Default Exclusive: Frank Darabont Talks 'The Walking Dead'

Hey guys! Thought I would share this exclusive interview with Frank Darabont on the AMC TV series adaptation of 'The Walking Dead'! Hit the link below:

Who's psyched for it?

http://www.fearnet.com/news/intervie...s_walking.html
Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

ATTENTION MODS

When I originally created this thread I didn't realize it was supposed to be a tv show, so please move.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Sarah Wayne Callies Lands Leading Role

Quote:
This just in: Prison Break fave Sarah Wayne Callies has just scored the female lead in AMC’s eagerly anticipated The Walking Dead series, based on Robert Kirkman’s megapopular comic books!

The Ausiello Files fave will portray Lori Grimes, the slowly-unraveling wife of the show’s hero, Rick (Andrew Lincoln). Which oughta be a nice stretch for her: How do you play disturbed by zombie gore and such after you’ve already played someone who was beheaded? (Yes, I know, it was a hoax!)

So how much more hyped about the show are you now than you were a second before you read that headline? You can put it on a scale of 1 to a gazillion if it makes it easier.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2009
Canada
Canada

I wonder if AMC will let Darabont run this show with all his mistian dread?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Holy crap! she's frakking gorgeous!

Can't wait for this.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
Holy crap! she's frakking gorgeous!

Can't wait for this.
Yeah she is, but Prison Break was such god awful shit that I never got to see her much, so I'm hoping this turns out a lot better than that garbage.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Laurie Holden just joined the cast!!!

Loved her in The Mist

Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Yeah she is, but Prison Break was such god awful shit that I never got to see her much, so I'm hoping this turns out a lot better than that garbage.
The show is called Prison break and it laste four seasons. It always sounded stupid to me.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
Laurie Holden just joined the cast!!!
I know her from the final season of The Shield which she was great in, btw. I actually read about her casting last night, was all set to post it here, and than realized Justified was on and ran off totally forgetting about her, lol. Too bad they still don't even start shooting till August, this won't air until next Spring probably, and even than it's only 6 episodes.

Quote:
AMC has added to the cast of Frank Darabont’s apocalyptic zombie drama “The Walking Dead.”

The production has tapped Laurie Holden for the role of Andrea, a key member of the survivor group who has a proficiency with a sniper rifle and falls for a man twice her age.

Holden was in writer-producer-director Darabont’s “The Mist” and had a recurring role in the final season of FX’s “The Shield.” She’s repped by APA and Framework.

Also, Adam Fierro has joined the production as a consulting producer. The ICM-repped Fierro has worked on such serialized dramas as “Dexter,” “The Shield” and “24.”

In addition, newcomer Steven Yeun also has been added to “The Walking Dead” cast as Glenn. He and Holden join cast members Andrew Lincoln, Jeffrey DeMunn and Jon Bernthal on the show.

The eagerly anticipated "Walking Dead" starts production in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
The show is called Prison break and it laste four seasons. It always sounded stupid to me.
Break out of prison, go back to prison, break out of new prison, go back to new prison, die. BRILLIANT!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Clarksville, Indiana

I can't wait for the show to actually air. I am a huge fan of the comic series. At the moment its my favorite comic. So far I have no complaints about how they are casting the show. Hopefully they continue making good casting decisions.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #16
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

We already knew about Laurie, but they've cast a newcomer as well. According to this article, the show is set to premiere in October too! I thought for sure next Spring. AWESOME.

Laurie Holden and Steven Yeun Join THE WALKING DEAD

Quote:
A couple of days ago we told you that Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break) had been cast in the lead female role in AMC’s upcoming TV series adaptation of The Walking Dead. Now, THR is reporting that the series has added two more members to the cast: Laurie Holden (The Mist, The Shield) and newcomer Steven Yeun. They will now be joining Callies, Andrew Lincoln, Jeffrey DeMunn and Jon Bernthal as the series gets ready to start filming.

For those of you that don’t know, The Walking Dead is a wildly successful and critically acclaimed comic book series by Robert Kirkman that tells the story of a cop named Rick Grimes and his family as they try to survive after a zombie apocalypse. Yeun will be playing a character named Glenn while Holden will be playing the role of Andrea, “a key member of the survivor group who has a proficiency with a sniper rifle and falls for a man twice her age.” The series, which is being produced by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), is currently set to premier during AMC’s annual Fearfest programming block in October.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Ladies and Gentleman............we have zombies.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #18
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

AMC Release First Production Photo from THE WALKING DEAD
Quote:
Warning: Zombies may appear helpless….but they are dead, and dangerous

AMC has released the first official production photo from The Walking Dead, which is currently filming in Atlanta. Of the formation of these zombies, creator, director, and executive producer Frank Darabont says “Greg Nicotero is absolutely out-doing himself. The work he is doing is beyond what one could hope for. Our Zombies kick a**!”

The Walking Dead will premiere on AMC in October 2010 during Fearfest.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I love zombie movies so this sounds really cool. I really hope it is a dark and bleak show that makes you feel what it would be like if a zombie apocalypse happened.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in the show on AMC to pickup The Walking Dead - Volume 1. It can be had for 10 bucks which is a great deal. Give it a read before the show in October.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this series come to the screen. Let's hope they keep faithful to the comic series.

To OP: You may want to change your first post to say it'll be a TV series. Some people may get confused.

Last edited by Deadset; 06-16-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows