Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
10 hrs ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (after you have seen it)
One Star 48 4.86%
Two Stars 90 9.11%
Three Stars 186 18.83%
Four Stars 377 38.16%
Five Stars 287 29.05%
Voters: 988. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Here's our real Superman:

Now that I got the obligatory "Fillion for X!" post our of the way, I want John Hamm as Superman
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #42
Special Member

Jun 2009

I don't get how Warner Brothers deemed Bryan Singer's Superman a failure? It wasn't the greatest ever but wasn't awful. If the article quoted in the OP is accurate it actually made $38 million more worldwide then Batman Begins. Just don't get how Returns is a failure and Begins is a success in comparison.

Last edited by seeweda; 02-25-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweda View Post
I don't get how Warner Brothers deemed Bryan Singer's Superman a failure? It wasn't the greatest ever but wasn't awful. If the article quoted in the OP is accurate it actually made $38 million more worldwide then Batman Begins. Just don't get how Returns is a failure and Begins is a success in comparison.
They didn't. I only hear it from the seething fanboys.

Just look at some of the posts on this thread for an example.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #44
Power Member

Aug 2008
OH, U.S.A. SteelBooks™:+200

Just have to chime in...

Some of you are posting some REALLY atrocious Superman casting choices!!!

So, seems a lot of you guys want:

~a goofball/caricature looking Superman
~aren't concerned if he only looks Superman-ish and NOT at all Clark Kent-ish

Sure, I'm still a Routh fan...and I faithfully watch Smallville, but WOW!!! I get that WB seems to be over Routh, and even I can say there's almost nothing Clark Kentish about Tom Welling- he just works in the alternate Smallville universe! To say he'd be a good Superman is just as big a shot in the dark as these other suggestions in previous posts...it's not like he's really played the man in the suit yet!!!

I don't see any Clark Kents above though...Hercules, Serenity/Firefly guy? REALLY???
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #45
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

I must be one of the few people that actually liked Superman Returns? I thought bringing back Superman was a touchy subject and I thought it would be impossible to find an actual replacement for Christopher Reeves. When I saw Routh I was amazed at how much he resembles Reeves and Superman. Perfect choice! Also we have to remember this was the first Superman in along time and I thought it was a good return and good setup for a sequel. Kinda like Batman Begins. Batman Begins was good and a nice setup for them to go all out in The Dark Knight.

I think a sequel to Superman Returns would be great now that they have brought back Superman. My only gripe would be what to do with the kid?? Not sure if I wouldve done that in Superman Returns. I mean it was shocking and a surprise at first but then u look down the road and u dont know what they can do with it. Just my take. Got Em!!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #46
Special Member

Oct 2008
ID
Send a message via AIM to FendersRule

The only good thing about Superman Returns was the trailer.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #47
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR View Post
I must be one of the few people that actually liked Superman Returns? I thought bringing back Superman was a touchy subject and I thought it would be impossible to find an actual replacement for Christopher Reeves. When I saw Routh I was amazed at how much he resembles Reeves and Superman. Perfect choice! Also we have to remember this was the first Superman in along time and I thought it was a good return and good setup for a sequel. Kinda like Batman Begins. Batman Begins was good and a nice setup for them to go all out in The Dark Knight.

I think a sequel to Superman Returns would be great now that they have brought back Superman. My only gripe would be what to do with the kid?? Not sure if I wouldve done that in Superman Returns. I mean it was shocking and a surprise at first but then u look down the road and u dont know what they can do with it. Just my take. Got Em!!
I agree! Didn't I hear that Nolan was actually a fan of SR somewhere? I guess a direct sequel is off the table....but I don't think we need to recast Routh he was a great Superman!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapGoblin View Post
Just have to chime in...

Some of you are posting some REALLY atrocious Superman casting choices!!!

So, seems a lot of you guys want:

~a goofball/caricature looking Superman
~aren't concerned if he only looks Superman-ish and NOT at all Clark Kent-ish

Sure, I'm still a Routh fan...and I faithfully watch Smallville, but WOW!!! I get that WB seems to be over Routh, and even I can say there's almost nothing Clark Kentish about Tom Welling- he just works in the alternate Smallville universe! To say he'd be a good Superman is just as big a shot in the dark as these other suggestions in previous posts...it's not like he's really played the man in the suit yet!!!

I don't see any Clark Kents above though...Hercules, Serenity/Firefly guy? REALLY???
It was a joke
Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqupunk View Post
I agree! Didn't I hear that Nolan was actually a fan of SR somewhere? I guess a direct sequel is off the table....but I don't think we need to recast Routh he was a great Superman!
I dont know why they wont do a direct sequel? I mean even if most didnt care for Returns, they can go anywhere with the sequel and make it great! Again the only thing that may hurt is what to do with the kid? Other than that whats wrong with a sequel? They can bring in any villain they want to. Even if they wanted to replace a character or 2, that would be fine as TDK replaced Rachel and it was fine. They sometimes make things to complicated. Got Em!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
I dont know why they wont do a direct sequel? I mean even if most didnt care for Returns, they can go anywhere with the sequel and make it great! Again the only thing that may hurt is what to do with the kid? Other than that whats wrong with a sequel? They can bring in any villain they want to. Even if they wanted to replace a character or 2, that would be fine as TDK replaced Rachel and it was fine. They sometimes make things to complicated. Got Em!!
Czar, I liked Returns as well, but the point is that because the majority did not, the studio would rather focus on a new story with a new cast because the last ones obviously didn't have the intended impact. This was supposed to be a HUGE moneymaker and failed to live up to the studio's expectations. Rather than continue a story that seemed to disappointing, they are taking the character in a new direction. I think that makes sense from a business perspective, though I too was interested in seeing Singer finish what he started.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #51
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
Czar, I liked Returns as well, but the point is that because the majority did not, the studio would rather focus on a new story with a new cast because the last ones obviously didn't have the intended impact. This was supposed to be a HUGE moneymaker and failed to live up to the studio's expectations. Rather than continue a story that seemed to disappointing, they are taking the character in a new direction. I think that makes sense from a business perspective, though I too was interested in seeing Singer finish what he started.
Yea I get it, oh well I can still vent! Haha! I guess Im all for that, but they really need to bring back Routh as Im sure it was tough enough to find him to replace Reeves. I dont think they can have that same luck in finding a good replacement again. And if they dont, the film will be a failure regardless. Got Em!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #52
Special Member

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
They didn't. I only hear it from the seething fanboys.

Just look at some of the posts on this thread for an example.
I understand but it would seem Warner Brothers agrees with them. As they are rebooting it yet again, rather than giving Singer a chance to make a sequel.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #53
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Wait a minute Brown was in Lost? I might be tempted to watch that show now.

And if anyone comes in here arguing that Brown is too old. You're telling me Kevin Spacey and Gene Hackman weren't?
Yeah it was only a few episodes but he was terrific. And you should watch it any way
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #54
Power Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
It was a joke
GOOD!!!

Quote:
I must be one of the few people that actually liked Superman Returns?
Even with the several story/plot problems I have with it...it's my FAVORITE Superman movie to date! I've actually bought this flick 4x!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #55
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweda View Post
It was a failure to Warner Brothers because Begins made $222 million more than its budget and Returns only made $121 million over its budget but because the marketing costs were said to be over $100 million then they spent between another $50-100 million on everything else, Warner Brothers lost money where as Begins was extremely profitable.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #56
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
GOOD!!!

Even with the several story/plot problems I have with it...it's my FAVORITE Superman movie to date! I've actually bought this flick 4x!!!
Wow u think its better than Superman: The Movie & Superman II?? I wont go that far at all. Those are probably my 2 favorite superhero films of all time. Part II is my favorite! Got Em!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #57
Power Member

Aug 2008

I really like the originals (1- even 3)...but they're very different movies to me! Classic, but also a bit too dated for me. I thought the effects and set design in Supes Returns nailed it...and Routh nailed it!!!

I guess it's more, for me, like Superman Returns was a GREAT modern update/remake...and minus the Lois/Kid weakness, I loved it!!!

So- ANYWAYS...bring on a new movie, and I'll have my fingers crossed it's good!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #58
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
I really like the originals (1- even 3)...but they're very different movies to me! Classic, but also a bit too dated for me. I thought the effects and set design in Supes Returns nailed it...and Routh nailed it!!!

I guess it's more, for me, like Superman Returns was a GREAT modern update/remake...and minus the Lois/Kid weakness, I loved it!!!

So- ANYWAYS...bring on a new movie, and I'll have my fingers crossed it's good!!!
Well it wasnt a remake but of course the effects are gonna be better. We are talkin about a film made 28 years or so later with new technology. Storywise, characters etc...I dont think SR can touch the originals but I do like it so I am with u there. U just either like it a lot more than me or dont like the OG's as much as me. Got Em!!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #59
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
Yea I get it, oh well I can still vent! Haha! I guess Im all for that, but they really need to bring back Routh as Im sure it was tough enough to find him to replace Reeves. I dont think they can have that same luck in finding a good replacement again. And if they dont, the film will be a failure regardless. Got Em!!
I think Routh was great too, but I think he was great as playing off of what Christopher Reeve did as Superman. He didn't make Superman his own as he was still trying to mimic Reeve's personality, style, and even dialogue. The goal for the reboot would be to find a new actor to embody a fresh Superman, just as Christian Bale did for Batman. Again, don't get me wrong, I would have been interested in seeing Singer's sequel, but I do think a reboot is the way to go now namely because it would be good to see a different and more modern take on the character instead of continuing a story that I believe wrapped up perfectly with II. Returns acts as more of a bookend to Donner's movies and a solid one at that. Let's see something else now .
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #60
Banned

Sep 2009

God, I don't get all this love for Brandon Routh - he ruined the movie for me. I'd like to see SuperMAN (which Christopher Reeves was), not Supermetrosexual who comes off about as intimidating as Perez Hilton.

The next Supes actor should be in his mid to late 30s - that's the guy I remember from the comics.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies