Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.21

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.10

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Comin' at Ya! 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #181

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

I can tell you, my calculations suggest a rho value of 0.85465 for your screen size.

If you happen to sit one screen width away, the opening credits of the corrected 3-D Blu-ray will appear to come forward 11.9651 feet. They will appear about 2.0349 feet in front of you. At least, that's what the math says.

If my calculations are right, all this means a convergence angle (gamma) of 0.1048 radians, about 6 degrees. That's probably not too great an angle in the everyday world, but given that in a 3-D movie our eyes converge at one point and focus (accommodate) at another, I could imagine there are a great many people who might groan and complain when confronted with such an image. However, it's a safe bet that many such people wouldn't take the time to watch Friday the 13th Part III anyway, so it may be that they are naturally weeded out of any sample.

Last edited by bavanut; 12-08-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #182

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
With utmost respect to any and all moderators, there is definitely a distinction between ghosting and the difficulty (or impossibility) of fusing stereoscopic images. The latter is what we have in view here, in this portion of our conversation.
I don't disagree, and it is an interesting subject. But this being the 3D technology forum, lengthy discussions about fusing double images are better placed here rather than in movie threads.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #183
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
I can tell you, my calculations suggest a rho value of 0.85465 for your screen size.

If you happen to sit one screen width away, the opening credits of the corrected 3-D Blu-ray will appear to come forward 11.9651 feet. They will appear about 2.0349 feet in front of you. At least, that's what the math says.

If my calculations are right, all this means a convergence angle (gamma) of 0.1048 radians, about 6 degrees. That's probably not too great an angle in the everyday world, but given that in a 3-D movies our eyes converge at one point and focus (accommodate) at another, I could imagine there are a great many people who might groan and complain when confronted with such an image. However, it's a safe bet that many such people wouldn't take the time to watch Friday the 13th Part III anyway, so it may be that they are naturally weeded out of any sample.
I appreciate you taking the time.

I can tell you that Iíve had dozens of people to my home cinema to watch this scene and none has had an issue fusing the 2 images.

While I realize this may be anecdotal, I strongly feel that a revision to Dr. Hillís statement about the 80% is in order as mentioned in my prior post (i.e. add simultaneous positive parallax).

Lastly, if you ever get the time or inclination to measure ďthe snake sceneĒ I would bet that the math will result in an rho of greater than 90%, implying that perhaps the correct threshold is closer to 90% than Dr. Hillís 80%.

Thank you once again!
Thanks given by:
bavanut (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #184
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I don't disagree, and it is an interesting subject. But this being the 3D technology forum, lengthy discussions about fusing double images are better placed here rather than in movie threads.
I am ok with this correction.

That said, I think it would be nice if you would amend your post in the Friday the 13th 3D forum to let readers know that there is an interesting discussion specifically about the opening credits in this thread. I know that most would not bother to come to this thread unless they knew there was something here related to the movie and adding a few words to your post letting them know seems apt.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (12-08-2020), the13thman (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #185

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I understand and appreciate that. Thank you, 13th Man.

If I may offer a lighthearted observation, I recognize that math for some people is rather like kale, broccoli, or spinach. They know it's good for them, but the very sight of it makes them queasy. Better, then, that this discussion be brought here, where those most interested can seek it out deliberately.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #186

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time.

I can tell you that Iíve had dozens of people to my home cinema to watch this scene and none has had an issue fusing the 2 images.

While I realize this may be anecdotal, I strongly feel that a revision to Dr. Hillís statement about the 80% is in order as mentioned in my prior post (i.e. add simultaneous positive parallax).

Lastly, if you ever get the time or inclination to measure ďthe snake sceneĒ I would bet that the math will result in an rho of greater than 90%, implying that perhaps the correct threshold is closer to 90% than Dr. Hillís 80%.

Thank you once again!
My pleasure. I appreciate your interest and your excellent questions and observations.

I trust the general soundness of Dr. Hill's thinking, but you're right, it is interesting to consider that here we have a widely renowned pop-out effect that has met with hearty approval from many who have seen it, but which seems to go beyond Hill's viewing recommendations. (I am quite sure Spottiswoode would have disapproved as well, not to mention Rule, Norling, Samuel Kitrosser, and others.)

I am an acquaintance of an eye doctor active in the 3-D community. Perhaps I can ask him what the current thinking is on this sort of thing among optometrists and ophthalmologists. Dr. Hill's recommendations were designed to ensure comfortable viewing for as large a segment of the general public as possible, but they were based on research conducted in and before 1953.
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (12-08-2020)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #187

Mar 2017

I heard a couple things.

I heard that if an external shutter 3D adapter can sense when the left and right eyes are actually shown, then if accurate and precise enough, it can attach to any TV and show correct L/R.? If so, since every TV that has timing issues has external sound outputs, and the sound is synced up with the video play time. Then wouldn't sending code through LR audio accurately tell a "universal shutter when the right time is?

Second, is it true that some newer modern TVs have sub microsecond ping time. Like OLED. can a 3d add on work like that?

If I tried to add 3D to my VGA monitor, Can any VGA to HDMI converter convey the 3D timing properly, or do I need a special HDMI to VGA adapter? Do I need to set it in a specific resolution / hertz rate?

The reason why I ask is because I found a external adapter that looks like a CRT singer that goes in between the monitor and the input.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology