Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96

Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99

The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$13.00

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-
USA Mondo Vision - The Andrzej Zulawski Collection

Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's films also come highly recommended. Mondo Vision has put out wonderful, very well made limited editions with strong transfers for films that have always been difficult to find:

Company:
http://www.mondo-vision.com/index.php

Quote:
Product Description
Product Description: ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI’S adaptation of Manuela Gretkowska's provocative and hugely successful novel reaches new extremes in the depiction of brutality, sex, and passion as it tells the story of a young(ish) anthropologist driven by the mystery surrounding the death of a recently discovered shaman; and his growing obsession with an enigmatic yet violently perverse beauty known as "The Italian". SZAMANKA (She-Shaman) is a film ‘without brakes’. Above all else, it is a ‘demonic’ film where characters are battlegrounds in the war between devils and angels, where angels are agents of God and devils are those of the Devil. This pulpy, sexually charged tale with its deranged erotic futurism underlines Zulawski's commitment to stretch the limits of aesthetic expression by exploring themes beyond the pale in conventional cinema. Violence, exuberance and sexuality are its key ingredients. Through hysteria, possession and hallucination we see what the Polish writer Stanislaw Przybyszewski called ‘naked soul’.

AWARDS:

Venice Film Festival, Official Selection (1996)

DVD CONTENTS:

MONDO VISION presents the first ever proper release of Andrzej Zulawski's 11th film SZAMANKA (She-Shaman, 1996) in a gorgeous new transfer UNCUT & Fully Uncensored with all new English Subtitles Supervised By Director Andrzej Zulawski.

Digitally Restored High Definition Transfer Mastered For Progressive Scan (Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski)
Feature Length Audio Commentary With Film Writer Daniel Bird Moderated by David A. Mackenzie
Exclusive New Video Interview With Andrzej Zulawski: “A Film Without Masks” [22:00]
Exclusive New Video Interview With Screenwriter Manuela Gretkowska [10:00]
Restoration Feature [1:20]
Image Gallery

Disc 2: Complete Soundtrack CD [Digitally Remastered] [60min]

Exclusive 48pg Commemorative Booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare and Insightful Essays & Interviews [retranslated/published for the first time ever in English]

Exclusive Essay by Video Watchdog's Tim Lucas
“Andrzej, from Amour to Zulawski”: Rare Interview With Andrzej Zulawski [BEST Magazine, April 1997]
“Cinema Superactivity": Extracts From An Interview With Andrzej Zulawski -- By Daniel Bird & Stephen Thrower (Spring 1998)

Six [5x7] Color Reproductions (Original French Lobby Cards)

Certificate of Authenticity With Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]

TECHNICAL NOTES:
SZAMANKA is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and original Mono Polish soundtrack as intended by Andrzej Zulawski. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the NTSC DVD format.

Audio:

Original Polish Mono
French Dub (Optional)

Subtitles: English (Optional) Available in White & Yellow
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

UPC:837654697566
Catalog#: MVLE004
Case Type: Specially designed Silver Velvet Case.
Quote:
ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI'S L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love) is the story of a hideously bloody vendetta, of bonds of friendship between two men from opposite backgrounds and of love within an eternal triangle. Intended as homage to Dostoyevsky and loosely based on his novel 'The Idiot', L'Amour Braque is a mad love-triangle: Léon (The Prince Of Idiots), Marie (The Virgin *****), and Mickey (The Immoral Gangster). Zulawski's postmodern existentialist adaptation is presented with an intense sense of visual style suggestive of the hyper-realistic and chaotic world of Bande-Dessinée. Abundant with images that persist and last in memory, from start to finish the screen is filled with outbursts of energy and eruptions of emotional violence where "notions of 'performance as madness' are choreographed into a perverse, bloody ballet." L'Amour Braque displays craftwork of originality and imagination in which "moments of brilliance happen under the watchful eye of a knowing master."

AWARDS:

NOMINATIONS:
Fantasporto International Film Festival, Portugal
International Fantasy Film Award, Best Film: Andrzej Zulawski

DVD CONTENTS:

MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American release of Andrzej Zulawski's 6th film L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love, 1985) in a gorgeous new transfer UNCUT & Fully Uncensored with all new English Subtitles Supervised By Director Andrzej Zulawski.

Disc 1: The Film

Digitally Restored High Definition Transfer Mastered For Progressive Scan
Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird
Exclusive New Video Interview With Sophie Marceau: 'Becoming Marie' [24:00]
Video Interview With Director Of Photography J.F. Robin [24:00]
Rare Archival Interviews & Behind The Scenes Footage From 1985 [16:00]
- Andrzej Zulawski Interview
- Francis Huster Interview
- Sophie Marceau Interview
- Behind The Scenes Footage
Theatrical Trailer
Image Gallery

Disc 2: Soundtrack CD [Digitally Remastered]

Exclusive 64pg Booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare and Insightful Essays & Interviews [retranslated and published for the first time ever in English]

"One Man And His Mad Dog" By Michel Chion [Cahier Du Cinéma, March 1985]
"Andrzej Zulawski PORTRAIT": Rare Extensive Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [STARFIX, March 1985]
Extracts From The Original 1985 Press Kit

[5x7] Color Reproduction Of The Original French Poster
Certificate of Authenticity W/ Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]
Packaging: Specially designed Red Velvet Case!

Note Regarding English Subtitles: (Optional) Available in White & Yellow
The dialogue of L'Amour Braque presents a number of challenges for the translator. Roda-Gil s dialogue abounds with rhymes and puns, not to mention a plethora of (mainly French) cultural and political references, often specific to the 1980s. Director Andrzej Zulawski prepared the subtitles for this DVD release in collaboration with Daniel Bird. It was decided quickly that a technically precise translation of the original French into English would lose the playful, anarchistic character of Roda-Gil's dialogue. Here, Zulawski has opted for the title Limpet Love. The character of 'Marie' has been changed to 'Mary', so as to retain the Christian aspect of the character's name. For rhymes in French, equivalents in English have been sought. Therefore, a looser approach has been adopted, which strives to offer something of the flavor of the original.
Quote:
A young actress, Ethel, coming from nowhere, is trying to create a personality through her body and her indestructible resolve if necessary, through Elena, her lover's wife who has disappeared. Two men: Lucas Kesling, ambitious cinema director with diabolical powers, and Milan, fallen angel on an earth cracking beneath his feet, both fighting to possess Ethel. The restless filming of a viscontian movie adapted from Dostoyevsky's "The Possessed" in an opulent and smothering set. A political conspiracy conspiring to do away with the prelate from Eastern Europe, which Milan is inadvertently caught up in. An oppressing and eerie Paris transformed into an expressionist universe which these hunted characters are trying to escape from.

These are essential elements of La Femme Publique (The Public Woman), Andrzej Zulawksi's 6th film, where the obsessive themes of his dazzling career Trzecia Czesc Nocy (The Third Part of the Night,1971), L'Important C'est D'aimer (The Important Thing is to Love,1975), and Possession (1981) become entangled.

ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI's La Femme Publique is a cinematic milestone rich with extreme imagery and raw emotions. Twenty five years after its controversial inception at the Cannes Film Festival, this story of a young, struggling actress retains the power to shock even the most seasoned of movie goers with its violently stylish, apocalyptic tone. A woman s destiny, divided between angel and demon...An hour and 54 minutes of painful happiness, La Femme Publique scratches the soul, slaps the eyes, and seduces like the maelstrom that each one of us hides beyond the conscious. To summarize La Femme Publique is impossible, dangerous and impoverishing. Zulawski is not a man of words; he plays and juggles with the image, the color, the rhythm, the sound, the music, and this unspeakable shamelessness that he steals from his actors so effectively. Between humor and paroxysm, La Femme Publique is a fascinating metaphysical experience with a degree of intensity that needs to be seen to be believed. Simply put, it represents cinema at its most insane & brilliant.

- Special Screening & Mention @ 1984 Cannes Film Festival

AWARDS:
-Montréal World Film Festival:
Most Popular Film Of The Festival
Special Prize of the Jury

NOMINATIONS:
César Awards, France
Best Actress: Valérie Kaprisky
Best Supporting Actor: Lambert Wilson
Best Writing Adaptation: Andrzej Zulawski
Best Writing Adaptation: Dominique Garnier

DVD CONTENTS:

MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American release of Andrzej Zulawski's highly anticipated and sought after film La Femme Publique (The Public Woman, 1984) in a gorgeous transfer with all new English Subtitles, UNCUT & Fully Uncensored.

Disc 1: The Film

Digitally Restored Transfer Mastered In High Definition Progressive Scan (Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski)
Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird
Exclusive New Video Interview With Director Andrzej Zulawski
Theatrical Trailer
DVD-ROM Content
Image Gallery

Disc 2: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD (Exclusive To Limited Edition. 32 tracks CD Digitally remastered in Paris under the supervision of Composer Alain Wisniak) [Available for the first time ever on CD]

+ Exclusive 48pg Commemorative booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare & Insightful Interviews With Andrzej Zulawski and the Cast [retranslated and published for the first time ever in English]
INTERVIEW with Andrzej ZULAWSKI (Feb, 1984)
INTERVIEW with Francis HUSTER (Feb, 1984)
INTERVIEW with Valérie KAPRISKY (Feb, 1984)
INTERVIEW with Lambert WILSON (Feb, 1984)
"Music Of Apocalypse:" An Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [Originally Appeared In The French Film Magazine Cinéma, May 1984 (N°305)]
"A Filmmaker Has To Be Disruptive...":An Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [Originally appeared In The French French film Magazine La Revue Du Cinéma, May 1984 (N°394)]

+ 10 B&W Reproductions Of The Original Japanese Publicity Photos
+ Certificate of Authenticity With Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]

TECHNICAL NOTES:

Le Femme Publique is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and original Mono French soundtrack as intended by Andrzej Zulawski. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the NTSC DVD format.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-29-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I thought about making a thread for this here but didn't. I remember I recently bumped the one I made in the Movies section because it appears all the Premium Editions are now OOP:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/movies/784...-zulawski.html

Hopefully David can come back and inform us of how the releases are coming along.

And these are certainly some of the best-quality DVDs ever produced.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
-
-

I wish they offered more news on what they're working on. I have been so anxious for their release of 'Possession', which has been one of their upcoming titles for quite some time. It is my favorite film and I can't wait for news about their release.

I have their releases of 'La Femme Publique' and 'SZAMANKA' and would highly recommend them as well. The care put into these releases is outstanding.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

David has posted an update on Posession at Criterionforum.org:

Quote:
Mondo Vision have asked me to spill some beans regarding Possession.

Regarding a release date... they (we) had intended to get it out sooner. Unfortunately, our master has a fault (big ugly videotape drop-out half way through the film) and we are still waiting for this to be fixed.

However! They asked me to share a picture or two with you in the mean time.

First, a little background info. Possession was originally intended to be one of the first Mondo Vision releases. Since it has to be a premium release, I recommended that Mondo Vision reject the masters previously offered for the film (they were all pretty soft). There are plenty of other editions of Possession on disc already; from MV's point of view, there would be no point in adding another one to the pile unless it offered something new.

So, this is a taster of what Possession looks like without the abstractions of old telecine technology affecting the image. What we are using is a scan of the negative (I believe) done on a CCD datacine.

As you can see from the picture, what Mondo Vision will be releasing is absolutely not the old vacuum tube telecine version that's been doing the rounds!
http://criterionforum.org/forum/view...360234#p360234
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
-
-

Thank you so much, McCrutchy. I'm so impatient for the release, but I'm really glad they are putting this much work into it. The final product will be amazing, I'm sure.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Our database listing of Mondo Vision's output thus far is now complete. You may add the relevant titles to your collection, or order copies from Amazon and/or the Amazon Marketplace through the listings just as you would with a Blu-ray title:

Mondo Vision DVD Movies and Releases

Enjoy!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Apr 2011
LV-426

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Our database listing of Mondo Vision's output thus far is now complete. You may add the relevant titles to your collection, or order copies from Amazon and/or the Amazon Marketplace through the listings just as you would with a Blu-ray title:

Mondo Vision DVD Movies and Releases

Enjoy!

Anybody have any news about Mondo Vision? Seems their dead in the water or something. I went to their website and they haven't released anything since like 2009. I'd really like to see them finish up all of the Andrzej Zulawski films.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

They are supposedly finishing a new release.

Will definitely update this thread when more info appears

Pro-B
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Missouri

I own all 4 films and I can't recommend them highly enough. Great,great films and they need to be possessed! (Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of "Possession" also.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Don't worry, Mondo Vision isn't dead. There are several releases in the pipes.
Thanks given by:
angelskyocean (05-19-2014)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Rhode Island

These titles are now available through Mondo Vision's new distribution channel, Darsoo. According to their site, they also still have limited quantities of the Limited Edition discs.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Rhode Island

From what I gather, Mondo Vision's new distributor, Darsoo, had some legal issues with their name. The site went down for a little bit, but it's now back up under the distributor's new name, Toufaan.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

An update on Possession http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...393650#p393650

This is DVD only release,right?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
An update on Possession http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...393650#p393650

This is DVD only release,right?
Well, we know it will be on DVD, but it's quite a ways from being released, so who knows, a BD may be a possibility by that time.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

I emailed them about "Possesion",and got this response:

Quote:
Although it is not definite, we are considering to release Possession on Blu ray as well. If the costs can be afforded you will see the film released on both formats. Best Regards, Mazi MONDO VISION
Sounds great!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #16

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
I emailed them about "Possesion",and got this response:

Sounds great!
Wow.. made my day... thanks for sharing! I've been frequenting their site this past month in hope of some news. Can't wait to see what type of packaging they conjure up
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Doves_Fly_Here View Post
Wow.. made my day... thanks for sharing! I've been frequenting their site this past month in hope of some news. Can't wait to see what type of packaging they conjure up
If that does happen, I'll be really happy. I can just see that being my favorite release I'd own.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #18

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Yep, please release blu rays (only!). Who needs or wants DVDs these days.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

Love me some Possession on either format.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2014

Bump

Any chance MV to re-release all these on blu in the future ?

Last edited by Sleazeaddict; 06-13-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies