Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
13 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
1 day ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$47.02

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.19
16 hrs ago
A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.
Default Fox's "Last Man Standing" (Season 9)

Tuesdays @8pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828327/

Anyone watch this? Just started on Abc, its kind of like if Tim Allen had daughters in Tool time lol

Last edited by Diesel; 10-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

*sigh*
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Wait? What is that premise? WTF?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2009

Does Disney own Tim's soul or something? I don't think he has ever done a movie or TV show that was a Disney project.

I like Tim Allen as well but the premise of this show seems lame.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

It's very true most guys these days are afraid to get grease, oil or blood on their hands and would rather go shopping . I think this show sounds perfect to showcase how hard it is for real men to still survive in a world ruled by women and girly "men" and their manicures.

Last edited by WyldeMan45; 03-30-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
It's very true most guys these days are afraid to get grease, oil or blood on their hands and would rather go shopping . I think this show sounds perfect to showcase how hard it is for real men to still survive in a world ruled by women and girly "men" and their manicures.
oh gimme a break. That premise is the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time. The show won't make it past 13 episodes, I'm guaranteeing that. In fact I'd be shocked if it made it past 5.

I know a lot of people like Allen, I've never found him that funny. At least not once I passed puberty. I don't know, I just don't find his act that funny.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
oh gimme a break. That premise is the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time. The show won't make it past 13 episodes, I'm guaranteeing that. In fact I'd be shocked if it made it past 5.

I know a lot of people like Allen, I've never found him that funny. At least not once I passed puberty. I don't know, I just don't find his act that funny.
Not even as Buzz Lightyear?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Not even as Buzz Lightyear?
I never really got into the Toy Story movies, although I've heard he was good in that.

Just about everything I've seen him in was terrible or just blah. I didn't care for Home Improvement, beyond a mild interest.

He should suffer eternally for taking part in the butchering of John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas".

Big Trouble was horrible. Don't get me started on the Santa Clause movies (although to be fair they were geared towards kids who like that sort of hammy acting).

In fact, looking over his IMDB the only thing he's ever done (EDIT: and I'll stipulate the Toy Story roles were solid)that wasn't (IMO) cringeworthy was his straight approach to Redbelt. That was a fantastic movie, and he was actually good in it.

But everything else has been shit. I will say though, I read his book years ago and liked it. Don't remember much about it other than him saying his real last name was Dick, and all the jokes he'd get, like "what's your Sister's name, Anita?"
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

A straight shooting man's man isn't everybody's type of guy, but as I said I was raised on him with Home Improvement and his standup. I just happen to be a lifelong fan, so for me I am looking forward to this. Not everybody can be a Dane Cook fan Groo.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
A straight shooting man's man isn't everybody's type of guy, but as I said I was raised on him with Home Improvement and his standup. I just happen to be a lifelong fan, so for me I am looking forward to this. Not everybody can be a Dane Cook fan Groo.
lol. I don't like Dane Cook either. I just think the plot idea sucks. There's nothing ORIGINAL about it. Another one of these "oh Men are an endangered species, and those evil women are taking everything from us and blah blah blah"

I liked it better when it was called "No Ma'am"

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
I liked it better when it was called "No Ma'am"
Well there can only be one Al Bundy and for some reason these days people would be offended by a real man with his hands down his pants. Tim's new character sounds a lot like Tim Taylor so it's not like he hasn't done this character before either.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Well there can only be one Al Bundy and for some reason these days people would be offended by a real man with his hands down his pants. Tim's new character sounds a lot like Tim Taylor so it's not like he hasn't done this character before either.
which proves my point. They cancelled Home Improvement for a reason.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
They didn't cancel it, it ended after 8 seasons and 204 episodes and never averaged under 10.9 million viewers even after those 8 seasons, lol. I wouldn't exactly call that a failure. Not to mention it's currently syndicated daily on like 3 different channels. So what was your point again?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
They didn't cancel it, it ended after 8 seasons and 204 episodes and never averaged under 10.9 million viewers even after those 8 seasons, lol. I wouldn't exactly call that a failure. Not to mention it's currently syndicated daily on like 3 different channels. So what was your point again?
originality. Never said it underperformed. but it did get tired and rehashed by the end, as would any show that's on that long.

It was a successful show, I'm not saying it wasn't. Just wasn't for me.

And my point was that the synopsis for this show doesn't sound exactly groundbreaking, and you yourself said that this character sounds a lot like his old character.

Just went to my point of it sounds like nothing new or intriguing. I'll amend my previous prediction of "5" episodes, just based on his name being attached and it's Disney. It will probably get a half season, but if it got the axe sooner, it wouldn't shock me.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Yes, but not necessarily for the reason you cited/inferred. I don't think a formal reason was ever provided by Tim or the show's producer, so one can only speculate as to why it was dropped after a successful eight-year run, while it was still ranked in the top ten. My guess is that Tim and/or other members of the show wanted to move on to other projects (not an uncommon reason in those days), and ABC obliged, perhaps reluctantly.

Seeing as the new sitcom is also on ABC, we can assume that there was no fallout between him and the network when Home Improvement was cancelled.

Now, the question is whether they can make this premise work for today's audience. There are a couple of brilliant comedies on ABC, so it could work if the writing is exceptional; simply regurgitating lines from his stint on Home Improvement or extracting bits from his comedy routine won't work for this new series. He needs really sharp writers to pull this off, if he's not taking the politically incorrect route (I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
(I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
Boring? You're killing me Smalls, I am a big Titus fan, lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Boring? You're killing me Smalls, I am a big Titus fan, lol.
that's what I'm thinking. lol. I actually like Titus.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
Yes, but not necessarily for the reason you cited/inferred. I don't think a formal reason was ever provided by Tim or the show's producer, so one can only speculate as to why it was dropped after a successful eight-year run, while it was still ranked in the top ten. My guess is that Tim and/or other members of the show wanted to move on to other projects (not an uncommon reason in those days), and ABC obliged, perhaps reluctantly.

Seeing as the new sitcom is also on ABC, we can assume that there was no fallout between him and the network when Home Improvement was cancelled.

Now, the question is whether they can make this premise work for today's audience. There are a couple of brilliant comedies on ABC, so it could work if the writing is exceptional; simply regurgitating lines from his stint on Home Improvement or extracting bits from his comedy routine won't work for this new series. He needs really sharp writers to pull this off, if he's not taking the politically incorrect route (I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
Didn't Home Improvment just end? You people calling shows that end "cancelled". Your like those people that think Friends was cancelled.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Didn't Home Improvment just end? You people calling shows that end "cancelled". Your like those people that think Friends was cancelled.
FINALLY, someone who understands that a show ending doesn't mean canceled. They probably think MASH was canceled prematurely too.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
I couldn't come up with a better euphemism while I was composing my reply ; "ceased production" would have been more appropriate.

Semantically though, my heart was in the right place.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows