Best TV Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
13 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
1 day ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
 
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11
 
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
 
Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93
 
Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$47.02
 
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.19
16 hrs ago
A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Bizdady Bizdady is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Bizdady's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.
21
209
1
38
Default Fox's "Last Man Standing" (Season 9)

Tuesdays @8pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828327/



Anyone watch this? Just started on Abc, its kind of like if Tim Allen had daughters in Tool time lol

Last edited by Diesel; 10-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

*sigh*
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Gamma_Winstead Gamma_Winstead is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Gamma_Winstead's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.
110
752
36
6
Default

Wait? What is that premise? WTF?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
seeweda seeweda is offline
Special Member
 
Jun 2009
302
6
Default

Does Disney own Tim's soul or something? I don't think he has ever done a movie or TV show that was a Disney project.

I like Tim Allen as well but the premise of this show seems lame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

It's very true most guys these days are afraid to get grease, oil or blood on their hands and would rather go shopping . I think this show sounds perfect to showcase how hard it is for real men to still survive in a world ruled by women and girly "men" and their manicures.

Last edited by WyldeMan45; 03-30-2011 at 06:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
It's very true most guys these days are afraid to get grease, oil or blood on their hands and would rather go shopping . I think this show sounds perfect to showcase how hard it is for real men to still survive in a world ruled by women and girly "men" and their manicures.
oh gimme a break. That premise is the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time. The show won't make it past 13 episodes, I'm guaranteeing that. In fact I'd be shocked if it made it past 5.

I know a lot of people like Allen, I've never found him that funny. At least not once I passed puberty. I don't know, I just don't find his act that funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Gamma_Winstead Gamma_Winstead is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Gamma_Winstead's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.
110
752
36
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
oh gimme a break. That premise is the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time. The show won't make it past 13 episodes, I'm guaranteeing that. In fact I'd be shocked if it made it past 5.

I know a lot of people like Allen, I've never found him that funny. At least not once I passed puberty. I don't know, I just don't find his act that funny.
Not even as Buzz Lightyear?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Not even as Buzz Lightyear?
I never really got into the Toy Story movies, although I've heard he was good in that.

Just about everything I've seen him in was terrible or just blah. I didn't care for Home Improvement, beyond a mild interest.

He should suffer eternally for taking part in the butchering of John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas".

Big Trouble was horrible. Don't get me started on the Santa Clause movies (although to be fair they were geared towards kids who like that sort of hammy acting).

In fact, looking over his IMDB the only thing he's ever done (EDIT: and I'll stipulate the Toy Story roles were solid)that wasn't (IMO) cringeworthy was his straight approach to Redbelt. That was a fantastic movie, and he was actually good in it.

But everything else has been shit. I will say though, I read his book years ago and liked it. Don't remember much about it other than him saying his real last name was Dick, and all the jokes he'd get, like "what's your Sister's name, Anita?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

A straight shooting man's man isn't everybody's type of guy, but as I said I was raised on him with Home Improvement and his standup. I just happen to be a lifelong fan, so for me I am looking forward to this. Not everybody can be a Dane Cook fan Groo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
A straight shooting man's man isn't everybody's type of guy, but as I said I was raised on him with Home Improvement and his standup. I just happen to be a lifelong fan, so for me I am looking forward to this. Not everybody can be a Dane Cook fan Groo.
lol. I don't like Dane Cook either. I just think the plot idea sucks. There's nothing ORIGINAL about it. Another one of these "oh Men are an endangered species, and those evil women are taking everything from us and blah blah blah"

I liked it better when it was called "No Ma'am"

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
I liked it better when it was called "No Ma'am"
Well there can only be one Al Bundy and for some reason these days people would be offended by a real man with his hands down his pants. Tim's new character sounds a lot like Tim Taylor so it's not like he hasn't done this character before either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Well there can only be one Al Bundy and for some reason these days people would be offended by a real man with his hands down his pants. Tim's new character sounds a lot like Tim Taylor so it's not like he hasn't done this character before either.
which proves my point. They cancelled Home Improvement for a reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
which proves my point. They cancelled Home Improvement for a reason.
They didn't cancel it, it ended after 8 seasons and 204 episodes and never averaged under 10.9 million viewers even after those 8 seasons, lol. I wouldn't exactly call that a failure. Not to mention it's currently syndicated daily on like 3 different channels. So what was your point again?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
They didn't cancel it, it ended after 8 seasons and 204 episodes and never averaged under 10.9 million viewers even after those 8 seasons, lol. I wouldn't exactly call that a failure. Not to mention it's currently syndicated daily on like 3 different channels. So what was your point again?
originality. Never said it underperformed. but it did get tired and rehashed by the end, as would any show that's on that long.

It was a successful show, I'm not saying it wasn't. Just wasn't for me.

And my point was that the synopsis for this show doesn't sound exactly groundbreaking, and you yourself said that this character sounds a lot like his old character.

Just went to my point of it sounds like nothing new or intriguing. I'll amend my previous prediction of "5" episodes, just based on his name being attached and it's Disney. It will probably get a half season, but if it got the axe sooner, it wouldn't shock me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
PrivatePixel PrivatePixel is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
PrivatePixel's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
63
999
73
1
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted View Post
which proves my point. They cancelled Home Improvement for a reason.
Yes, but not necessarily for the reason you cited/inferred. I don't think a formal reason was ever provided by Tim or the show's producer, so one can only speculate as to why it was dropped after a successful eight-year run, while it was still ranked in the top ten. My guess is that Tim and/or other members of the show wanted to move on to other projects (not an uncommon reason in those days), and ABC obliged, perhaps reluctantly.

Seeing as the new sitcom is also on ABC, we can assume that there was no fallout between him and the network when Home Improvement was cancelled.

Now, the question is whether they can make this premise work for today's audience. There are a couple of brilliant comedies on ABC, so it could work if the writing is exceptional; simply regurgitating lines from his stint on Home Improvement or extracting bits from his comedy routine won't work for this new series. He needs really sharp writers to pull this off, if he's not taking the politically incorrect route (I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
(I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
Boring? You're killing me Smalls, I am a big Titus fan, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
109
8
272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Boring? You're killing me Smalls, I am a big Titus fan, lol.
that's what I'm thinking. lol. I actually like Titus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
Gamma_Winstead Gamma_Winstead is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Gamma_Winstead's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.
110
752
36
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
Yes, but not necessarily for the reason you cited/inferred. I don't think a formal reason was ever provided by Tim or the show's producer, so one can only speculate as to why it was dropped after a successful eight-year run, while it was still ranked in the top ten. My guess is that Tim and/or other members of the show wanted to move on to other projects (not an uncommon reason in those days), and ABC obliged, perhaps reluctantly.

Seeing as the new sitcom is also on ABC, we can assume that there was no fallout between him and the network when Home Improvement was cancelled.

Now, the question is whether they can make this premise work for today's audience. There are a couple of brilliant comedies on ABC, so it could work if the writing is exceptional; simply regurgitating lines from his stint on Home Improvement or extracting bits from his comedy routine won't work for this new series. He needs really sharp writers to pull this off, if he's not taking the politically incorrect route (I've seen his stand-up: it's as boring as Christopher Titus).
Didn't Home Improvment just end? You people calling shows that end "cancelled". Your like those people that think Friends was cancelled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
WyldeMan45 WyldeMan45 is offline
Banned
 
WyldeMan45's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Western Washington
49
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Didn't Home Improvment just end? You people calling shows that end "cancelled". Your like those people that think Friends was cancelled.
FINALLY, someone who understands that a show ending doesn't mean canceled. They probably think MASH was canceled prematurely too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
PrivatePixel PrivatePixel is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
PrivatePixel's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
63
999
73
1
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Didn't Home Improvment just end? You people calling shows that end "cancelled". Your like those people that think Friends was cancelled.
I couldn't come up with a better euphemism while I was composing my reply ; "ceased production" would have been more appropriate.

Semantically though, my heart was in the right place.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:45 AM.