Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99
1 day ago
The Elizabeth Gaskell Collection (DVD)
$24.99
1 day ago
Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99
1 day ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98
1 day ago
Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99
1 day ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96

Northern Exposure: The Complete Series (DVD)
$44.07
1 day ago
The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.05

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #161

Aug 2019
...somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert...

Would love to get a better master of this series. Just revisited several episodes and the digital artifacting and obvious vhs source problems are bad. I’ve heard the German DVDs are better but are a bit of a mess to sort through with 3 disc and 5 disc versions of volume 1 having different bitrates and sped up audio starting with episode 2 on one of the sets.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #162

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk3605 View Post
Would love to get a better master of this series. Just revisited several episodes and the digital artifacting and obvious vhs source problems are bad. Iíve heard the German DVDs are better but are a bit of a mess to sort through with 3 disc and 5 disc versions of volume 1 having different bitrates and sped up audio starting with episode 2 on one of the sets.
I have all the German sets. The 5 disc (OOP) versions of the first 3 sets are certainly better than the 3 disc versions, but yes there is some PAL speed up.

But overall the quality is MUCH better than the US DVDs.
Thanks given by:
elk3605 (10-14-2019), ps3bd_owner (02-19-2021)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #163

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongozoid View Post
I have all the German sets. The 5 disc (OOP) versions of the first 3 sets are certainly better than the 3 disc versions, but yes there is some PAL speed up.

But overall the quality is MUCH better than the US DVDs.
Thanks for the response. Is there any PAL speed up on the 3 disc? You think the better quality than the 3 is worth the speed up trade off? Also, there is definitely an English audio track yes? I want to rebuy this series bc the Lionsgate is just awful.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #164

Jul 2014

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Is there any PAL speed up on the 3 disc? You think the better quality than the 3 is worth the speed up trade off? Also, there is definitely an English audio track yes? I want to rebuy this series bc the Lionsgate is just awful.
There is still PAL speed up on the 3 disc sets.
But I would still consider that 3 disc set better quality than the Lionsgate releases. I guess it really just depends on how much the PAL speed up will impact the viewing for you; I know some people hated it with a passion and ended up ripping to their computers so they could adjust the playback speed. But I personally don't mind it too much.

And yes, def an English track on the uncut episodes. On the DVDs only - the blu-ray version they released is only the edited episodes with the German language track.

i just checked Amazon.de and it seems all the box sets are reduced in disc count now. They're also region 2 locked, FYI.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #165

Aug 2019

Quote:
There is still PAL speed up on the 3 disc sets.
But I would still consider that 3 disc set better quality than the Lionsgate releases. I guess it really just depends on how much the PAL speed up will impact the viewing for you; I know some people hated it with a passion and ended up ripping to their computers so they could adjust the playback speed. But I personally don't mind it too much.

And yes, def an English track on the uncut episodes. On the DVDs only - the blu-ray version they released is only the edited episodes with the German language track.

i just checked Amazon.de and it seems all the box sets are reduced in disc count now. They're also region 2 locked, FYI.
Reduced in disc count? The 5 and 3 disc set we spoke of have been replaced? Iím afraid I donít understand. Is the PAL speed up the same in both sets? I suppose you think itís not bad? Iíll probably have to get it if I can find for a reasonable price. Though Iíd just as soon buy corrected versions as copies from someone. I have an Oppo, so once I get it jailbroken Regions wonít be an issue. Too bad about the BDs.

Trying to watch some episodes I can barely tolerate it. Lionsgate appears to have put zero effort into these. Looks literally like VHS masters on DVD and compressed with heavy digital artifacting too boot. I watched Casey Jones: Outlaw Hero last night and it have many instances of video tape tracking and color issues. I followed with Things Change from Funimationís DVD of the 2K3 series. Still SD but night and day and an actual digital master I assume. What Lionsgate did was unacceptable.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #166

Jul 2014

Quote:
Reduced in disc count? The 5 and 3 disc set we spoke of have been replaced? Iím afraid I donít understand. Is the PAL speed up the same in both sets? I suppose you think itís not bad? Iíll probably have to get it if I can find for a reasonable price. Though Iíd just as soon buy corrected versions as copies from someone. I have an Oppo, so once I get it jailbroken Regions wonít be an issue. Too bad about the BDs.

Trying to watch some episodes I can barely tolerate it. Lionsgate appears to have put zero effort into these. Looks literally like VHS masters on DVD and compressed with heavy digital artifacting too boot. I watched Casey Jones: Outlaw Hero last night and it have many instances of video tape tracking and color issues. I followed with Things Change from Funimationís DVD of the 2K3 series. Still SD but night and day and an actual digital master I assume. What Lionsgate did was unacceptable.
The first 3 sets were originally released as 5 disc sets - they've since been replaced as 3 disc sets. The other 3 box sets were originally released as 6 disc sets - they've since been replaced as 4 disc sets. And if I'm correct, the discs are stacked.

Amazon.de sell all 6 sets in one collection for about 55 Euro - I think that's about US$60? I remember I had to pay more than that just for one of the 5 disc sets!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 AM   #167

Aug 2019

Quote:
The first 3 sets were originally released as 5 disc sets - they've since been replaced as 3 disc sets. The other 3 box sets were originally released as 6 disc sets - they've since been replaced as 4 disc sets. And if I'm correct, the discs are stacked.

Amazon.de sell all 6 sets in one collection for about 55 Euro - I think that's about US$60? I remember I had to pay more than that just for one of the 5 disc sets!
I see, is the better quality 5-disc sets available anywhere? I didn't see them on amazon..de. Do both sets have the PAL slowdown?

Ok, sorry. I see I missed your answer earlier. I think I’ll go with the 3 and 4 disc sets. Thanks for your responses. Been jonesing for some TMNT but the Lionsgate discs just won’t do. I might throw mine away.

Well I found volume 1 - 3 in the original 5 , 5 and 4 disk format for $90. I suppose that’s only the first half of the series, but I’m biting.

Last edited by elk3605; 10-20-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #168

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
No cartoons will ever come out on Blu-ray... because all the original art is sold. Just look on eBay, there are tons of original animation cels and backgrounds from all the 80s cartoons. In one way it's cool for fans and collectors, but ultimately it's bad because none of that art is preserved, and HD versions (Blu-ray or 4K or higher) of all those cartoons are now impossible

I really hope they redo this release one day for one key reason. I'll post here what I wrote in my Amazon.ca review:

"This is the best way - and will probably be the only way - to ever get the entire classic TMNT 1987 cartoon series. But I wish they would redo this set, and do it properly. Unfortunately, there were bad decisions made when they put these discs together, which results in some episodes really suffering. I'll give you a semi-technical explanation, which I haven't seen anyone else analyzing. I analyze and backup all my DVDs, so I'm always looking at video bitrates and how much compression is used on DVDs. For example, Disc 1 has 9 episodes which is the absolute most you want on a disc - 8 would be ideal. Having 8 animated "half hour" episodes (or 4 "hour long" live action episodes) is typical "good" quality for DVD encoding. In this set, Disc 1 = Season 1, which gave them 5 episodes and lots of extra space... so they added some bonus episodes from Season 10, for some unfathomable reason. Then I guess they wanted Disc 2 = Season 2. Bad move. Now Disc 2 has to have 13 episodes crammed onto it. As a result, all 13 episodes are 1/3 smaller than they should be. That means they are compressed to 66% of the quality they should have been. If they had skipped the redundant bonus episodes on Disc 1, and included 4 episodes from Season 2, that would have allowed all those season 2 episodes to have typical compression instead of having the life squeezed out of them. So when you look at the list of discs, know that any disc with more than 8 or 9 episodes (or any disc with 8 or 9 episodes PLUS bonus features) you can expect lower quality. It's truly sad that this one chance they had to make this complete set, they compromised so much on the quality of the episodes by not paying attention and thinking carefully about the DVD authoring process - it's a real shame for TMNT fans."
People say this a lot, but supposedly a lot of these cartoons were actually shot on 35mm. As long as they have the negative it could be done one day (money would not be spent to do this except in rare cases.) Such as Batman TAS, Justice League and Dr. Suess TV specials from the 70s have been given 1080p BD releases. In fact, some Charlie Brown specials have been given UHDs and Ghilbi cartoons were supposedly scanned at 6K for their BDs. So some clearly are possible. The Lionsgate set was a simple VHS (probably not even a master maybe a safety) to DVD conversion. No effort in at all.

Last edited by elk3605; 10-26-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #169
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006

transformers 1984 series sadly was error corrected on tape so they technical would have to re fix the errors for a blu ray release
Old 01-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #170
Special Member

Aug 2007
Taos, NM

Bought this for nostalgic reasons and my 4 year old daughter absolutely fell in love with it. I am now collecting everything turtles to watch with her. I gave her my old toys and she is obsessed with them. I love that I get to share this with my daughter.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (01-15-2020), elk3605 (01-22-2020), Lum (01-20-2020), rexcrk (01-15-2020), Takeshi666 (09-17-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #171

Aug 2019

If anyone wants to buy the 3-disc set of volume 1. Asking $25 each but open to offers. (Be sure you can play PAL and Region 2 DVDs.)

Last edited by elk3605; 02-27-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #172

May 2017

Question, do all of the German DVDs have the English audio? I heard Seasons 7-10 only have the German audio, plus the DVDs only seem to go up to 6 boxes and stop at episode 168.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #173

Nov 2008

Does this have english subtitles?
Old 02-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by __jona View Post
Does this have english subtitles?
It does not.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #175

Mar 2021