Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
3 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
19 hrs ago
The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.89
17 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
6 hrs ago
Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
19 hrs ago
Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.05
6 hrs ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Maybe IMDB is wrong... My memory doesn't go back that far obviously... but looking at IMDB, it looks like the pilot aired on a Thursday... the very next episode aired on the following Wednesday... then back to Thursdays for a while... then I think a Friday... and then Saturdays. That fits with my fuzzy memory of it not coming on the same night every episode.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #22
Expert Member

Jul 2013

i think vampire diaries have set trend for spin offs
first supernaturals and now arrow...
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
Maybe IMDB is wrong... My memory doesn't go back that far obviously... but looking at IMDB, it looks like the pilot aired on a Thursday... the very next episode aired on the following Wednesday... then back to Thursdays for a while... then I think a Friday... and then Saturdays. That fits with my fuzzy memory of it not coming on the same night every episode.
IMDb was wrong about the airdate for the second episode. It aired on 9/27/90, exactly a week after the pilot, not 9/26.

If you remember a Friday airing, it may have been a repeat, or your local affiliate bumping it because of a ballgame or something. I've found that local bumping for sports is the cause of most memories of shows being bounced around the schedule. This is almost always an issue with the local affiliate, not the network. In the Boston area, back in the days of UPN, Star Trek: Voyager was constantly being bumped because the local UPN affiliate, WSBK, carried Red Sox and Bruins games.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

You may be right... Our local CBS affiliate (in addition to pro sports allegiances) is also our local ACC college sports affiliate... so perhaps the Flash got bumped during basketball season and that's what I'm remembering.

I know the final couple of episodes I did not catch until years later when someone like SciFi ran them... of course I own the DVDs now, but back then that wasn't an option and before DVRs it was a lot less convenient to record a bunch of stuff on VHS.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

Sounds interesting. I may have to check this out.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
The first part is not true. The show wasn't pre-empted any more than any other show was. And it was consistently scheduled on Thursday nights from its debut in Sep 1990 through Feb 1991. After that, it was moved to Saturday night (remember that back then, Saturday was a regular TV night, not a dumping ground for reruns and burn-offs like it is now), and stayed there for the rest of the season.

The second part of your comment was true. The show was actually fairly popular, probably popular enough to get a renewal if it wasn't for the fact that the CGI made it one of the most expensive shows on the air at the time. It wasn't popular enough.

It's biggest problem, ratings-wise was that it was originally scheduled against The Cosby Show and The Simpsons. It was fairly quickly moved from 8:00 to 8:30 so that it wouldn't be killed by those two shows.

There's also the point that it just wasn't that good a show. Not that it was bad, exactly, but not especially good, either. On the other hand, the female lead was Amanda Pays, for good sakes, so who the hell cared how good it was?

At any rate, that was 20+ years ago. There's absolutely no reason not to try another series now.
That original show received a horrible slot against two of the highest-rated shows on television. The mainstream populace still didn't know what to make of superheroes. For many, the only thing they could still remember in the 1990s was the '60s Batman.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
That original show received a horrible slot against two of the highest-rated shows on television. The mainstream populace still didn't know what to make of superheroes. For many, the only thing they could still remember in the 1990s was the '60s Batman.
You really think that they didn't remember Wonder Woman or The Incredible Hulk or The Amazing Spider-Man?

And that's just TV. By the time The Flash was on the air, there'd been (at least) four Superman movies, a Supergirl movie, and the first of the Tim Burton Batman films.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
You really think that they didn't remember Wonder Woman or The Incredible Hulk or The Amazing Spider-Man?

And that's just TV. By the time The Flash was on the air, there'd been (at least) four Superman movies, a Supergirl movie, and the first of the Tim Burton Batman films.
The Flash struck parallels with the early Batman because they both had traditional comic book outfits on the shows. CBS intended to go for the audience that had made Tim Burton's Batman a mega-success, but audiences were much less sophisticated in an era before the Internet and 24/7 media coverage.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
The Flash struck parallels with the early Batman because they both had traditional comic book outfits on the shows.
Yeah, as did Wonder Woman and Spider-Man in their TV shows, and Superman in the movies.

Quote:
CBS intended to go for the audience that had made Tim Burton's Batman a mega-success, but audiences were much less sophisticated in an era before the Internet and 24/7 media coverage.
I'm not sure how that's relevant to your comment "The mainstream populace still didn't know what to make of superheroes." While superheroes weren't as prevalent in the media as they are today, there were still enough examples so that audiences were reasonable familiar with the concept. Superman was (and still is) an iconic fictional hero, as well known to the mainstream as Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, and The Lone Ranger.

The only problem that The Flash had was that he didn't have the prior commercial presence that the others had -- he wasn't featured in earlier cartoons, wasn't heavily merchandised, and so on. But audiences still understood what comic book superheroes were all about.

Also keep in mind that the late 80s was when comic books started getting serious mainstream media attention because of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and Alan Moore's Watchmen. The mainstream was more familiar with superheroes than you think.

And again, the Flash TV show was reasonably popular. It just wasn't popular enough to counter the high cost of production.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Wonder Woman failed and had to switch networks before being canceled. It had a small fanbase of devoted fans, but wasn't a monster hit. The early '90s were a much different era than today, when comic book properties were still viewed as a very nerdy hobby strictly intended for young boys. Even Burton's Batman really didn't change that outlook until much later.

CBS gave it a good-faith effort at the time, but their Flash was about 15 years too early for success.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Wonder Woman failed and had to switch networks before being canceled. It had a small fanbase of devoted fans, but wasn't a monster hit.
And yet it ran a total of 60 episodes, 45 of which were on the network that it switched to. That's a serious beating of the odds. Sure, it wasn't a "monster" hit, compared to the hundred or so episodes of, say, The Six Million Dollar Man. But it's a respectable number. It's also the same number of hours that the 1960's Batman had (Batman had twice as many episodes in total, but it was only a half-hour show).

Once again, what did in The Flash was its high production cost, not an inability to capture an audience.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #32

Apr 2012

We have our Flash.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-set-as-625751

Quote:
'Glee' Star Set as CW's Flash

Grant Gustin will play the lightning-fast character also known as Barry Allen, and appear in three episodes of "Arrow" -- including the backdoor pilot.

The Flash producers have found their speedster.

Glee's Grant Gustin has landed the key role of The Flash/Barry Allen in The CW's backdoor pilot and potential Flash spinoff, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Gustin will play the iconic comic book character and appear in three episodes of The CW's Arrow -- eight, nine and 20 -- the latter of which will serve as the backdoor pilot for a potential spinoff Flash series.

Arrow co-creators Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg as well as director David Nutter are behind the potential spinoff. Berlanti, Kreisberg and DC Entertainment's Geoff Johns -- a writer/consultant on Arrow -- will pen the script for Warner Bros. Television; Nutter will direct.
The potential Flash spinoff will be an origin story similar to what producers did with Stephen Amell starrer Arrow. All three Barry Allen episodes will be penned by Berlanti, Kreisberg and Johns.
"When we first meet Barry Allen, he's just a forensic scientist Ö an ordinary man," Kreisberg told reporters in July when the project was first announced. The character, like Amell's vigilante, will be grounded in reality and as realistic as possible. The first two episodes will see the character in Queen's home of Starling City, with the 20th providing a window to see Barry in The Flash's world.
Barry Allen is described a Central City assistant police forensic investigator who arrives in Starling to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. A comic book fan boy, Barry is obsessed with the Arrow unaware that working with Oliver and Felicity to solve the crime has brought him right into the dangerous world of the vigilante.
"Part of the fun for the audience Ö is to see how we view our Arrow take on the Flash legacy," Kreisberg said. "Some of it will feel very familiar to DC Comics, some of it hopefully will feel different, fresh and exciting. The same way we approached Arrow is the same way we're approaching Barry."

One of the things that grounds The CW's Arrow is the fact that the series isn't about individuals with superpowers -- with The Flash a clear violation of that. Producers noted that they will handle the introduction of Barry's superspeed in a way that isn't commonplace. "There will be extraordinary events in the world and the characters will react in the same way," Kreisberg noted.
Added Johns: "We're also exploring a very personal story for Barry -- life as a forensic scientist and the people around him, the tragedies and how he deals with them -- in a very different way than Oliver Queen. The intention, they noted, will be to add to Arrow instead of stripping away characters from the series should the spinoff move forward, meaning it's likely the residents of Starling City will remain there.
For Gustin, the role reunites him with The CW, where he most recently had a multiple-episode arc on the final season of 90210. His breakout role came on Fox's Glee, where he recurred as a member of the all-male group the Warblers. His credits also include CSI: Miami and the Lifetime telepic A Mother's Nightmare. He's repped by Robert Stein Management and CESD.
ďIím unbelievably excited. Iíve been a lifelong fan of DC Comics, so I canít be more honored and canít wait to get started," Gustin told THR.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Well I'll be. Hopefully they chose the right guy
Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I would have prefer an older Barry Allen but its good to see more DC characters on the small screen
Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
I would have prefer an older Barry Allen but its good to see more DC characters on the small screen
I don't know this particular actor... but that was my thought from the picture, too. I was thinking that the Barry Allen Flash should be older. This actor actually looks more appropriate for Bart Allen or Wally West.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

Mar 2013
cincinnati
Send a message via AIM to r_webb18

How much older are you talking? The CW target age is much smaller than most networks.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_webb18 View Post
How much older are you talking? The CW target age is much smaller than most networks.
the median age of the network is 42
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #38

Mar 2013
cincinnati
Send a message via AIM to r_webb18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
the median age of the network is 42
What is this compared to vs other networks? Would of guessed younger though. More women watch also right?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

I need to get Arrow's first season on Blu-ray and catch up, I've been wanting to watch the show but just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #40

Jan 2011
Michigan

The latest data I could find for median ages for networks was: June 2011 - June 2012.

CBS: 55.6
ABC: 52.3
NBC: 49.3
FOX: 46.2
CW: 37.1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows