Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.25
6 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99
11 hrs ago
To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle - Part One (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$15.04
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 09-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California
Default AMC's "Fear The Walking Dead" (Season 5)

Quote:
AMC announces ‘The Walking Dead’ spin off with new characters

A The Walking Dead spin off is in development, AMC announced this morning.

The Walking Dead spin off is in the works for a 2015 premiere, showrunners and the network said in a press release.

“Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president and general manager. “We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It’s a big world and we can’t wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse.”

“After 10 years of writing the comic book series and being so close to the debut of our fourth, and in my opinion, best season of the TV series, I couldn’t be more thrilled about getting the chance to create a new corner of The Walking Dead universe,” said Kirkman. “The opportunity to make a show that isn’t tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing.”

The news of a Walking Dead spin off comes on the heels of AMC’s announcing a Breaking Bad spin off following Saul Goodman.
Source
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California

Hmm...Not sure that this is needed, but I wait to reserve judgement to see how it plays out.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Hmm...Not sure that this is needed, but I wait to reserve judgement to see how it plays out.
Agreed on all points.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
I agree with you Walt, I don't think its needed at all..the regular series is standing strong on its own great cast, great acting and its doing a fine job with just skirting the story lines in the comics.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

I think this is awesome...I hated the connection with the comic (even though they did change it around quite a bit). I always wondered what is going on in the rest of the world and would love to get away from Georgia. Brand new characters and situations sounds pretty good to me.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Power Member

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
I think this is awesome...I hated the connection with the comic (even though they did change it around quite a bit). I always wondered what is going on in the rest of the world and would love to get away from Georgia. Brand new characters and situations sounds pretty good to me.

I agree, though I would amp up the new series in the action/suspense department to differentiate itself from the main product.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

There isn't exactly a glut of zombie shows. Another one is fine by me.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14 View Post
I agree, though I would amp up the new series in the action/suspense department to differentiate itself from the main product.
I was thinking the first season or so should explore how the whole outbreak started...was it a plot, was it an accident...etc...then show the early stages of the break out when it was nothing but chaos and intense zombie action.

The problem with the original is that Kirkman had to whip out the popular characters and settings to please the comic fans and what not...now he doesn't have to do that...that in itself sounds fresh to me.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Banned

Jul 2013

I loved episode one of the walking dead, it was very promising and horror is my absolute favorite genre but this series is so tired/rehashed etc i try to watch it every year and its just really lame. Nothing changes except location the rest is just the same old "the zombies aren't really the monsters we are" crap.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Better Call Rick?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2013
THE 614

The Stalking Dead.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddinoff View Post
I loved episode one of the walking dead, it was very promising and horror is my absolute favorite genre but this series is so tired/rehashed etc i try to watch it every year and its just really lame. Nothing changes except location the rest is just the same old "the zombies aren't really the monsters we are" crap.
I'm not sure what show your watching but location is the one thing that hardly ever changes...which is one thing I hate about it. I think some people just want the gore all the time and some want characters and gore. You sound more like a gore guy which probably is why you didn't like seasons 2 & 3which toned down all that.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Kirkman is still involved... you're not going to get an "origin" story... ever... as long as Kirkman is involved. He has no interest at all in doing an origin or a cure story.

That said... I'm not sure this is a good idea. Two shows only takes ideas off the table for the main show... IF they had done this from the beginning, then likely we wouldn't have had the new Merl and Daryl characters as they would have been part of the spinoff.

Expect the spinoff to get new ideas and the main show to stick closer to the comic... and at some point one of the shows will be floundering.

I'm not convinced we need a spinoff from this, and certainly not a spinoff that airs while this show is still on.

At least the Breaking Bad spinoff is coming after that show goes off the air.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Special Member

Jul 2013
THE 614

Here's an idea. Why doesn't AMC just scratch the spinoff idea and take the money they were going to use for that project and just put it into their flagship show The Walking Dead....

Bigger budgets, more freedom. One show to focus on.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #15

Jan 2011
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahishere View Post
Here's an idea. Why doesn't AMC just scratch the spinoff idea and take the money they were going to use for that project and just put it into their flagship show The Walking Dead....

Bigger budgets, more freedom. One show to focus on.
This does not premiere until 2015. If The Walking Dead is still on the air, it would be entering its 6th season when this is season 1. The show could be over or ending that year.

Mad Men is the longest AMC show with 7th seasons, Breaking Bad got 5 (or 6).

so they are trying to make sure they have backup
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2013
THE 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
This does not premiere until 2015. If The Walking Dead is still on the air, it would be entering its 6th season when this is season 1. The show could be over or ending that year.

Mad Men is the longest AMC show with 7th seasons, Breaking Bad got 5 (or 6).

so they are trying to make sure they have backup
Oh, I know it's all about having a backup in place...but I would be willing to bet anything that The Walking Dead will be on for many more seasons. I could see them do an actual crossover together maybe during like the 2nd or 3rd season of the spinoff to link them even more than the usual Easter egg stuff that'll come along with...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

MAYBE IT CAN STAR THE GOVERNOR!

I say no to this just because the series we have now is struggling because of a limited budget and a constantly revolving producer. Put the money towards the main show they seem to keep slashing the budget from.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2013
THE 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
MAYBE IT CAN STAR THE GOVERNOR!

I say no to this just because the series we have now is struggling because of a limited budget and a constantly revolving producer. Put the money towards the main show they seem to keep slashing the budget from.
That's exactly what I'm saying too. That'd be the best move I think!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahishere View Post
Oh, I know it's all about having a backup in place...but I would be willing to bet anything that The Walking Dead will be on for many more seasons. I could see them do an actual crossover together maybe during like the 2nd or 3rd season of the spinoff to link them even more than the usual Easter egg stuff that'll come along with...
I have no interest in a cross over if thats the end game they can stick it. I wan them far apart and totally unrelated.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

[QUOTE=HDMe;8132936]Kirkman is still involved... you're not going to get an "origin" story... ever... as long as Kirkman is involved. He has no interest at all in doing an origin or a cure story.
QUOTE]

I have heard him say that but that was before this and I'm not so sure he really calls all the shots. Let's face it money talks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows