Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 hr ago
To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

V: The Final Battle (Blu-ray)
$17.20

One Piece: Collection 26 (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Prodigal Son: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$25.93

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by djariya View Post
And remember, this show isn't about finding answers to the mystery right away. It's about the people left behind and how they are dealing with it.

Hence...cough....the title of the show.
The problem is that the characters aren't interesting enough.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluProofie View Post
I love slow burns, but this just wasn't interesting to me at all. I get that it wants the audience to be more interested in the characters than the mystery, but the characters don't seem likable or interesting at all.
There certainly weren't any characters that I took an instant liking to, though I suspect that I may come to like some of them down the road.

But what grabs me the most is the cult. It just seems so deranged in concept (what we know about it so far, which isn't much) and practice, that I'm really interested in finding out just exactly what it is that they're about, and what they hope to accomplish. They seem to have too specific agenda to be just a group of nihilists, but that seems to be what they're being portrayed as.

I especially think there's a lot of stuff to be mined with the Police Chief / Cult Wife / Daughter triangle, not to mention the son who's in with the other cult.
Thanks given by:
Hucksta G (07-01-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #23
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
I especially think there's a lot of stuff to be mined with the Police Chief / Cult Wife / Daughter triangle, not to mention the son who's in with the other cult.
Ya that is a bizarre twist, you figured if the father had a break down, and the son joined a cult, and the daughter is having a hard time that the mother had disappeared. Then she turns up to be in a cult, they have a whole family but the family broke anyway with 2 joining cults, WTF.
Then Liv Tyler's character is stalked by the cult and then joins them? For a character driven drama these characters seem a little hard to relate to so far.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #24

Jan 2011
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Insanely positive reviews. I believe same thing was said about The Wire, get past the first episode and you're well and truly into it.
Not sure where you read these "insanely positive" reviews, but it only has a 65 on Metacritic. Game of Thrones, Louie, Orange is the New Black, Hannibal, Veep, The Americans, etc. are all ~20+% higher.

There is 1 really high review (100%) and the next highest is 80% and then down to 70%......
Old 07-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
New Zealand

From a search on Google the first three results that came up were positive reviews around the 8/10, B+ mark, I'd give it the same, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good, definitely not terrible.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #26

Jan 2010

I thought this was really good, surprised by the 'meh' reaction it's getting here. The really long snippet from that James Blake song (which was also in the trailer) seemed really out of place and kind of cheesy, but other than that I really didn't have any complaints.

Looking forward to seeing more of Christopher Eccleston, I had forgotten he was supposed to be in this. He couldn't have had more than a minute of screen time in the first episode.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #27

Mar 2013
cincinnati
Send a message via AIM to r_webb18

I think Alan Sepinwall gave it an A.

I thought it was good but I went in knowing what to kinda expect. I'm guessing if you were expecting something else you were in shock.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #28

Jan 2011
Michigan

Oops, I was off. The reviews were higher, I missed some. However, the average is still fairly low compared to ~20 other current 2014 series.

Here is a run down of some of the bigger review publications:

The A.V. Club 100
Hitfix 100
PopMatters 80
The New York Times 80
Slate 80
The Hollywood Reporter 80
Time 80
Entertainment Weekly 75
Newsday 75
The Daily Beast 70
The Wrap 70
The Huffington Post 70
Vulture 60
TV Guide 50
USA Today 50
RogerEbert.com 50
Variety 50
Slant Magazine 50
Wall Street Journal 30
Old 07-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
Oops, I was off. The reviews were higher, I missed some. However, the average is still fairly low compared to ~20 other current 2014 series.

Here is a run down of some of the bigger review publications:

The A.V. Club 100
Hitfix 100
PopMatters 80
The New York Times 80
Slate 80
The Hollywood Reporter 80
Time 80
Entertainment Weekly 75
Newsday 75
The Daily Beast 70
The Wrap 70
The Huffington Post 70
Vulture 60
TV Guide 50
USA Today 50
RogerEbert.com 50
Variety 50
Slant Magazine 50
Wall Street Journal 30
Surprised to see The AV Club give this such a high rating. They are usually smart, with a few exceptions.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by X12Celtics3 View Post
I thought this was really good, surprised by the 'meh' reaction it's getting here. The really long snippet from that James Blake song (which was also in the trailer) seemed really out of place and kind of cheesy, but other than that I really didn't have any complaints.

Looking forward to seeing more of Christopher Eccleston, I had forgotten he was supposed to be in this. He couldn't have had more than a minute of screen time in the first episode.
Only seems to be a couple of meh reactions on here, the rest of us who saw it seem to have liked it.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #31
Special Member

May 2010
In the Light

I guess I have to be counted among those who disliked The Leftovers.
However, I will clarify that my opinion hinges on the predisposition of not being able to watch animals die or be killed, especially dogs. Yeah, I know it's fake and as an adult I guess I should be able get over it, but I just never can get beyond the sight of it, it strongly alters my perception of any film/show for the worse.

I've even recently begun to dislike some filmmakers (Wes Anderson - who's films are currently in my collection) because of a strange insistence on their part to constantly feature the death of a dog or other animals in their movies.

Back to The Leftovers, I don't doubt that the show could carve out a good audience on HBO and see continued success because the show has a very interesting plot line and a pretty solid cast, but based on my aforementioned predisposition, it's highly unlikely I'll be watching the show again.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #32
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Surprised to see The AV Club give this such a high rating. They are usually smart, with a few exceptions.
Maybe they just really enjoyed it.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #33
PirateGal

I didn't have a clue about the programme, didn't know it was based on a book, didn't know what to expect, so i went into this episode blind...

It intrigued me that's for sure! Some of it was wtf... Some of it was open-mouthed omg that was brilliant... Some of it was a little obvious... It was a raw mix of emotions and it hit nerves, so I'll definitely be tuning in again.

[Show spoiler]The dog that was shot at the start really looked like a blue heeler... That got my emotions going straight away as I had one as a kid... Let alone the fact that it was shot

Lindelof does it again...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
Texas

I definitely enjoyed it. Some interesting twists and turns and it has me intrigued to see what happens next. Why do people have problems with movies/shows portraying dogs dying/being killed but not when they show humans dying/being killed?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
I definitely enjoyed it. Some interesting twists and turns and it has me intrigued to see what happens next. Why do people have problems with movies/shows portraying dogs dying/being killed but not when they show humans dying/being killed?
It is very f***ing odd...
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

Quote:
I love slow burns, but this just wasn't interesting to me at all. I get that it wants the audience to be more interested in the characters than the mystery, but the characters don't seem likable or interesting at all.
I have never understood this response... WTF does likable have to do with an interesting storyline?
Thanks given by:
Hucksta G (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #37
Special Member

May 2010
In the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
Why do people have problems with movies/shows portraying dogs dying/being killed but not when they show humans dying/being killed?
Your assertion seems like a straw man argument ....

I don't think anybody here actually claimed not to have any problems viewing the portrayal of a human dying/being killed in a movie/show.

Anybody else who expressed a similar sentiment to my own was simply sharing their particular predisposition on the portrayal of an animal dying or being killed and how that relates to their perception of the movie/show in which it took place. That didn't necessitate a care-free acceptance of the portrayal of humans dying/being killed.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youre My Boy Blu! View Post
Your assertion seems like a straw man argument ....

I don't think anybody here actually claimed not to have any problems viewing the portrayal of a human dying/being killed in a movie/show.

Anybody else who expressed a similar sentiment to my own was simply sharing their particular predisposition on the portrayal of an animal dying or being killed and how that relates to their perception of the movie/show in which it took place. That didn't necessitate a care-free acceptance of the portrayal of humans dying/being killed.
Not trying to start anything, just found it odd to not like a show because of it and even to dislike certain directors because of it. If they were slaughtering actual animals I could see your point. But hey, if it bothers you that much I'm in no place to judge or anything, I'm sure certain things that bother me would be trivial to other people. I just figured that anyone having that much of an issue with fictional violence directed towards animals (so much so that it would cause you to dislike the show and certain filmmakers) would have at least an equal problem with it being directed towards humans.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #39

Jun 2014
Texas

So... talking about the show here...

Did he run over a deer in that one scene? Was is a flashback?
Did a deer break into his kitchen?

...What's with the deer?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #40
Expert Member

Mar 2010
South Carolina

Shockingly boring for a show with so many characters and plot points squeezed into 70 minutes. I'll keep watching for now, but the pilot was terrible.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows