Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Father (DVD)
$14.99
1 day ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45
17 hrs ago
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99
1 day ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Warner Bros Warner Archive DVD film and TV discussion thread

Have done a forum thread search and there doesn't appear to be an existing thread for discussion about the Warner Archive's DVD film titles.

Recently, the Warner Archive released the Richard Todd film Chase a Crooked Shadow on DVD. How does the transfer compare to the DVD release by Optimum Home Entertainment (now the UK branch of Studio Canal)?

TV drama titles released by the WAC (completed TV series):

Beyond Westworld: The Complete Series
Harry O: The Complete First Season
Harry O: The Complete Second and Final Season
The Lazarus Man: The Complete Series

[Show spoiler]Medical Center: The Complete First Season (remastered)
Medical Center: The Complete Second Season (remastered)
Medical Center: The Complete Third Season (remastered)
Medical Center: The Complete Fourth Season (remastered)
Medical Center: The Complete Fifth Season (remastered)
Medical Center: The Complete Sixth Season
Medical Center: The Complete Seventh and Final Season

TV drama titles released by the WAC (incompleted TV series):

The Eleventh Hour: The Complete First Season: Parts One & Two
Mr. Novak: The Complete First Season
Paradise: The Complete First Season

*Work in progress*

Last edited by OceanBlue; 09-18-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Would have asked about this German DVD title in the German sub-folder, but that's for Blu-ray titles. Recently, the Warner Archive released The Stranger Collection, three spaghetti westerns or westerns starring Tony Anthony as The Stranger. It was a two-disc DVD set.

Recently, I found out that a three-disc set was released on DVD in Germany back in January, containing I think the same three films. Do both the Warner Archive and German DVD releases of these three films have the same transfers? Have they had any restoration work done to them?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Has anyone here got the Warner Archive DVD complete series boxset of 60's TV series Sam Benedict? Of what I've seen so far of their DVD release of The Eleventh Hour: The Complete First Season, the episodes have existing masters. Is it the same with Sam Benedict?

EDIT: Regarding the edited thread title, thanks for the speedy response, and for the addition of the Warner Brothers logo to the thread title and the left-hand column.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 01-23-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Has anyone here got the Warner Archive DVD complete series boxset of 60's TV series Sam Benedict? Of what I've seen so far of their DVD release of The Eleventh Hour: The Complete First Season, the episodes have existing masters. Is it the same with Sam Benedict?
I don't have the DVDs but I did watch the entire series on the Warner Archive streaming service. Yes, looked like just existing masters, but it was sourced from 35mm and generally looked good. One episode was in color.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (01-17-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

I'm curious about this release too--how does the series hold up?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Just this week I ordered the Warner Archive release of My Blue Heaven (a Steve Martin / Rick Moranis movie from the early 90s).

Years ago there was a regular DVD release, but it was only in fullscreen/pan-&-scan, so I never bought it. This release is supposed to be in widescreen. I hope the quality is good.

I would prefer a Blu-Ray release, but for now I'll take what I can get. Finally having it available in widescreen is enough to get me to buy it.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (02-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2016
Behind enemy lines

The Warner Archive DVDs I have all look amazing. They look as good as some of the blu rays I have (there are a lot of blu rays out there that are a total scam).
Old 01-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Just this week I ordered the Warner Archive release of My Blue Heaven (a Steve Martin / Rick Moranis movie from the early 90s).

Years ago there was a regular DVD release, but it was only in fullscreen/pan-&-scan, so I never bought it. This release is supposed to be in widescreen. I hope the quality is good.

I would prefer a Blu-Ray release, but for now I'll take what I can get. Finally having it available in widescreen is enough to get me to buy it.
Hilarious movie. I always loved the Vinnie character and have randomly quoted a few lines here and there over the years. Steve Martin played a few great 'conman' characters during that era with Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Leap of Faith being pretty underrated as well. The digital hdx is a big upgrade over the old p&s dvd and I wouldn't be surprised if the WA dvd looks solid as well.

Last edited by meremortal; 01-27-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (02-08-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

I know some of the TV titles have been made available on pressed DVDs, but did this ever happen with any of the movie titles released under the Archive banner?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I know some of the TV titles have been made available on pressed DVDs, but did this ever happen with any of the movie titles released under the Archive banner?
I've never seen it for movies myself, only TV titles, but someone said that they had in a different WB thread: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3461
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Regarding season 4 of Falcon Crest, the last update I read about when (or if) it's going to be released, is that it won't be released this year, and not until 2018. The source of this is a post on the FalconCrest.org website (a fan site about Falcon Crest) from October 2016. Apparently the remastering on the fourth season hasn't been finished. Based on what I've seen of the US DVD release of the third season, I'm sure the DVD release of the fourth season will be worth the (long) wait.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 02-21-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

The Warner Archive's DVD release of Step by Step continue with the fourth season, being released on Tuesday 12th February. Hopefully the series will be completed this year (seven seasons in total).

Apparently, the short-lived George Kennedy-starring TV series The Blue Knight is in the works (the William Holden-starring TV mini-series was released late last year on Blu-ray).

Hoping that the second (and final) season of The Eleventh Hour is released sometime this year (hopefully the Dr. Kildare crossover episode is included as an extra).

Last edited by OceanBlue; 01-29-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Has anyone here got the Warner Archive's first season DVD release of the James Franciscus-starring series Mr. Novak? Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the second (and final) season.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

Nov 2009
New York

Just ordered Perfect Strangers Season 5, only need to get Season 6, and I'm guessing 7/8 will be one release since 8 only had 6 episodes.

Does WBShop ever have decent coupons? I really want to get all the seasons of Night Court, but would love to get a deal on S4-9.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattQuack View Post
Just ordered Perfect Strangers Season 5, only need to get Season 6, and I'm guessing 7/8 will be one release since 8 only had 6 episodes.

Does WBShop ever have decent coupons? I really want to get all the seasons of Night Court, but would love to get a deal on S4-9.
Around the time of Valentine's Day, I'm sure there was a discount voucher/coupon which could be used on the WbShop website (think it was something like 10% off titles). I don't think there has been a discount voucher/coupon since. Hoping there is going to be a sale around Easter.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Hoping we see the announcement of the Warner Archive's April DVD slate this week, as the Blu-ray film titles have been announced. Don't know what to expect with TV titles. Hoping that Step by Step's fifth season is out in April.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2016

Is there a list anywhere of replicated releases from the Warner Archive that is updated regularly? They used to have a section on their website but it seems to be long gone. I know some mult-disc sets are replicated, at least on their initial runs. Also, for some reason my copy of Run of the Arrow is replicated. I know Show Boat and Lusty Men were announced as such but I don’t recall Run of the Arrow advertised as replicated. Did they sneak out any other replicated titles like Run of the Arrow?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

I was wondering if the Warner Archive still do DVD sets with pressed discs (silver-sided on the reverse) on initial copies. I thought it used to be that the first thousand copies were pressed discs, then after that they were DVD-R discs (purple-sided on the reverse).
Old 04-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I was wondering if the Warner Archive still do DVD sets with pressed discs (silver-sided on the reverse) on initial copies. I thought it used to be that the first thousand copies were pressed discs, then after that they were DVD-R discs (purple-sided on the reverse).
Yes and no. Some are pressed discs for a certain number, then DVD-R, other releases are DVD-R from the start. Porky Pig 101 was one fairly recent set that had pressed discs for the initial release, my set contained pressed discs, a series of pressed discs was done because they anticipated some good sales on that one. More casual releases get the DVD-R release only.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedknee View Post
Yes and no. Some are pressed discs for a certain number, then DVD-R, other releases are DVD-R from the start. Porky Pig 101 was one fairly recent set that had pressed discs for the initial release, my set contained pressed discs, a series of pressed discs was done because they anticipated some good sales on that one. More casual releases get the DVD-R release only.
Thanks for the explanation. It clears things up a bit. The DVD-R discs in the earlier Warner Archive releases of TV series play better in my multi-region player. The latter DVD-R discs don't play as well (you can hear a strange, clunky noise coming from the player which you don't get with the pressed discs).

I had wondered if there are still copies of the latter seasons of Dr. Kildare (especially the last two seasons), if bought on the WbShop website, with pressed discs.

Can't remember now if it's the third or fourth season set of Dr. Kildare, but did the Warner Archive include both parts of the crossover with The Eleventh Hour?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies