Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96
19 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

V: The Final Battle (Blu-ray)
$17.20

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

One Piece: Collection 26 (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$156.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California
Default The CW's 'Supergirl' (Season 5)

Quote:
DC Entertainment Actively Pitching A Supergirl TV Series, With Michael Green?

Michael Green is a producer on TV shows including Gotham, American Gods, Smallville, and Heroes, writer on Smallville, Heroes, Gotham, and films such as Green Lantern and the upcoming Flash.

So, you know, he has form.

He also worked with Mike Johnson on the New 52 reboot of Supergirl.

Well, we understand Green is now taking that a little further.

Bleeding Cool has been reliably informed by a comics/Hollywood contact that DC Comics is currently actively pitching Supergirl as a TV series, and Green is attached.

Writing/producing of course. Not actually playing Supergirl. Although, you know….

Well, with Flash, Constantine and Gotham whizzing around, might as well get a little Superness on the screen as well, I guess.

There has been plenty of press about neither Marvel and DC giving any female character a solo movie or TV show of late. But now Marvel have a Jessica Jones Netflix mini-series planned. Could DC Comics be the ones to make it ongoing? And a Supercharacter to boot?

Will anyone bite?
Bleeding Cool

Last edited by Walts Ghost; 05-13-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I guess a Kara Zor-El show would be better than not getting any more of her at all, wonder who they'll cast in the main role.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Crossville, TN

They should just bring back Laura Vandervoort as Supergirl. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0888882/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (09-10-2014), Moviefan2k4 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #4

Apr 2012

E! confirms that WB is shopping it around to networks.

It was pitched first to The CW, but they turned it down.

http://www.eonline.com/news/576011/a...e-more-excited
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime-Rox View Post
They should just bring back Laura Vandervoort as Supergirl. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0888882/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14
I'd be on board with that, doubt she still wants to do the role though.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Supergirl is a hard show to do without ties to Superman in some way.

The easiest way would be as a spinoff from Smallville continuity... but they might want it to stand on its own.

Supergirl as a character can absolutely stand on her own... but hard to have it without there also being some Superman sometimes.

It would be like having a show about Robin without having Batman. Robin did a lot on his own, and the original became Nightwing... but it's hard to separate the two.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Smallville spinoff... but that would make it awkward since Arrow isn't a Smallville spinoff.

I don't know why they wouldn't just try again to do a better job with Wonder Woman since she can stand completely on her own as a series.
Thanks given by:
kernel_thai (09-10-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #7

Apr 2012

Arrow and Flash executive producer Greg Berlanti is producing this as well. Makes me wonder why it's not going to The CW.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/supergir...comics-829364/
Old 09-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

I'm not feeling excited for this one at all. I didn't even care much for the Kara character in Smallville. I was glad to see her leave. I think it's because she just wasn't that interesting. Not only that, we got such a dismal finale to Smallville.

Surely there are other female DC characters that would be better.

Zatanna would be amazing. Now, that's someone I could get excited for.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
Supergirl is a hard show to do without ties to Superman in some way.

The easiest way would be as a spinoff from Smallville continuity... but they might want it to stand on its own.

Supergirl as a character can absolutely stand on her own... but hard to have it without there also being some Superman sometimes.

It would be like having a show about Robin without having Batman. Robin did a lot on his own, and the original became Nightwing... but it's hard to separate the two.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Smallville spinoff... but that would make it awkward since Arrow isn't a Smallville spinoff.

I don't know why they wouldn't just try again to do a better job with Wonder Woman since she can stand completely on her own as a series.
I agree...if they arent going to give u Superman for the show theyd be better off relaunching Supergirl in the next Superman movie and spin her off to tv that way.

And Im still waiting for Katee Sackhoff as Ms Marvel.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #11

Jul 2012
-

I'm a fan of the Supergirl character, but haven't liked any of the TV/movie incarnations I've seen. A lot will depend on the actress and whether they try to copy Buffy (super-powered high school girl fighting monsters of the week). I don't have high hopes.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

I'd only watch this if the character was treated seriously, and her integrity remained intact. Too many executives would "trash her up" like crazy, and that's not Supergirl to me.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I'd love to see my cous...ummm Supergirl get her own series. She's more powerful than Wonder Woman.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #14

Apr 2012

Berlanti confirms that development has started. It also hasn't been pitched to any networks yet, so CW is still a possibility.

Quote:
"We're just starting to work on it," Berlanti told CBR News. "We haven't gone to the networks yet, so. I'll be happy, very excited to talk about it once we know where its home will be and that kind of stuff, but not at this moment. "
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55398
Old 09-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime-Rox View Post
She's currently starring in Bitten.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I'd love to see my cous...ummm Supergirl get her own series. She's more powerful than Wonder Woman.
I always thought so but the new 52s and the Justice League show both seem to disagree. Then again I'm one of those who think Kara is more powerful than her cousin.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
She's currently starring in Bitten.
Yeah, but Season 2 is only ten episodes long; they could probably still get her for "Supergirl", depending on the filming schedule.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler's Supergirl has a home: CBS.

CBS has landed the high-profile DC Comics adaptation, handing out a hefty series commitment, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The hourlong drama, taken out last week, centers on Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. (The character was previously played by Laura Vandervoort on The CW's Superman origin story Smallville.)
Photos: Fox's 'Gotham': Meet the Characters From the Batman Prequel
Berlanti and Adler, who previously teamed on ABC's superhero drama No Ordinary Family, will pen the script and executive produce the drama via Berlanti Productions' Warner Bros. Television-based banner. Berlanti Productions' topper Sarah Schecter also executive produces.
The Supergirl pickup also means all five of the broadcast networks could have superhero-themed series on the air next season, with DC properties on four of the five. Fox on Monday launches its highly anticipated Batman prequel Gotham — which like Supergirl started with a series commitment; NBC has Hellblazer take Constantine due in October; CW has Flash and Arrow; and ABC, via Disney's deal with Marvel, has Agents of SHIELD and bridge series Agent Carter. For its part, Netflix also has four Marvel series and a mini, starting with Daredevil.
Photos: Broadcast TV's New 2014-15 Shows
Comic adaptations are the fall's biggest bet, with many producers telling THR that the wave comes as superheroes continue to dominate the box office and as the technology to tell such stories has evolved, among other factors. AMC's The Walking Dead, TV's biggest drama in the key adults 18-49 demographic, is also based on a comic and the network is tapping that well for a companion series eyed for 2015. Other cable networks — as well as Sony's PlayStation — have also joined the fray, with comic takes on Powers, Preacher, Outcast, Ronin, Clone, Titans, Scalped and more.
Supergirl now gives Berlanti three shows based on characters from the DC Comics universe. It joins The CW veteran Arrow and upcoming spinoff The Flash. It also comes as Berlanti's newest drama, NBC's Mysteries of Laura adaptation, opened to strong viewership this week. Supergirl is Berlanti's third sale this development season and second at CBS. He also has supernatural procedural The Things They Left Behind based on a Stephen King short story set up at CBS with a put-pilot commitment and FBI thriller Blindspot at NBC with a script plus penalty attached.
Berlanti is repped by WME and Felker Toczek; Adler, whose credits include NBC's The New Normal, Glee and Chuck, is with WME.
Source - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-734268
Old 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #19

Apr 2012

Yep, CBS. And they paid a pretty penny for it, too.

Quote:
The deal closed last night, a day after the project was taken out to the broadcast networks on Wednesday. I hear the size of commitment eclipses the series commitment DC Batman drama Gotham got at Fox last fall.
The log line sounds good:

Quote:
Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Berlanti and Adler will write the script and executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Sarah Schechter. Also closely involved in the development of the project has been DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer Geoff Johns.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #20

May 2009
New Zealand

^ Sweet.. so unlike Smallville, we might actually see a full body costume on the actor?
Thanks given by:
Falaskan (03-07-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows