Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 hr ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

Hell on Wheels: The Complete Series (DVD)
$36.92
1 day ago
The Father (DVD)
$17.99

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (DVD)
$11.99
1 day ago
The Undoing (DVD)
$14.71
35 min ago
The Virtuoso (DVD)
$12.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Mar 2010
Default Mr. Bean - Shout! - 3/24/15

New Mr. Bean collection from Shout! which includes the US-only scenes as extras.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/come...aign=WholeBean
Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Jul 2014

Great news! I just watched Merry Christmas Mr. Bean a few days ago, and would love to have it along with the others in my collection. Too bad there's no blu-ray coming out too though.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

I'm very interested to see how this "remastering" comes out. Hopefully the show ends up looking better then ever.

Only reason I mention the above is that the BBC recently released a remastered set for Keeping up Appearances and while the show looks better then the previous DVD release, reviewers have been reporting that they changed the frame rate for the remaster, which negatively affects the original pacing of the show.

Hopefully Shout does not mess with the frame rate for Mr. Bean.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpius View Post
New Mr. Bean collection from Shout! which includes the US-only scenes as extras.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/come...aign=WholeBean
So they are only including the missing scenes as extras? I'll pass. I have the "Complete Mr Bean" Japanese PolyGram DVD released in the late 1990s that has all of the episodes uncut. And the missing scenes aren't US only. Any video release from PolyGram is going to have them. The scenes were cut only after Universal bought PolyGram .
Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2009

So this is pretty much the same as The Whole Bean set?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
So this is pretty much the same as The Whole Bean set?
The Whole Bean does not contain the missing scenes, nor the Best Bits of Mr. Bean. I have the Best Bits on DVD and I rarely watch it as it's just a best of show.

My decision to upgrade from the Whole Bean to this will be squarely based on PQ / AQ.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Reviews are starting to pop up. Looks like the PQ got a nice bump in quality over previous releases.

http://avwire.com/2015/03/21/dvd-rev...ry-collection/

Considering the limitations of the source material for a show shot on tape, Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean – Remastered 25th Anniversary Collection looks as good as ever and is a vast improvement over the previous set.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

I have the Scandinavian set and I definitely remember the "turkey weighting" scene actually being in the episode.

It'd probably help figuring out if I already have everything in this set if they were more specific.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Just a heads up this is currently on sale at Best Buy for $13.99.

*Note it doesn't seem to be sold in stores. Online only.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

I'll just stick with the earlier reaser i have that was released by A & E.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

For anyone interested:

From the A&E "The Whole Bean" collection:

From the new Shout set:
Thanks given by:
agoofykindasuperman (05-21-2015), Packerfan75 (12-15-2015), TheLumberjack (05-29-2020)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Mr Bean! Now with more green!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Well it appears to me that Shout has done something with regards to the Frame rate and I'm not sure if I can get used to it. I've watched Mr. Bean enough where I'd notice any slight changes and the "pacing" of the show seems to have been altered.

At the very beginning of episode 2 (from which I took the screen grab) Mr. Bean almost appears to be walking in slow motion. Popped in the A&E set and it does not have that issue. Also you can clearly see in the screen grabs they've messed with the resolution as well making everyone appear shorter.

Why oh why can't they just give these masters a high quality scan and leave everything else be...

I'm glad I used a gift card and didn't spend any of my own money on this set as I may or may not get used to the set backs of this newer set.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Here's a link to the review I've left on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R85YWH8...tore=movies-tv

I doubt Shout! will do anything about it but they've seriously screwed this release up. The frame rate has been altered so badly that the show is rendered unwatchable.

If you're on the fence hold on to the A&E set and skip this new release.
Thanks given by:
Evil (05-22-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Unfortunately I can't comment on the frame rate issue, as I don't have the A&E release. This is my first copy of Mr. Bean on DVD.

However, I can offer a correction about the aspect ratio.

There are no problems with the aspect ratio on these DVDs.

The A&E screenshot shown above is 720x540, which is a correct 4:3 screenshot. The Shout! screenshot shown above is 720x480, which is not a correct screenshot - that's the native DVD video stream before the encoded aspect ratio is detected, and the player will then display it at 720x540.

Here's my Shout! screenshot:

I hope this helps clear up that issue.

Color grading adjustment aside - and again, I don't have the A&E release to make any further comparisons except for this one screenshot shown in this thread - the PQ quality of this release makes it a definite improvement over the A&E release.

Maybe I'll have to try and find a cheap copy of the A&E release on eBay, so that I can look at the frame rate issue more closely.

Last edited by Brandon K; 12-15-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
cyborgLIS (06-07-2016)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Hmph. No reasonably-priced used copies in Canada on eBay.

Shipping costs from the US these days are out of control.

If anyone has a clean, used copy of the A&E version in Canada that they're willing to part with for cheap, please send me a private message!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Earth

I was hoping this would be a bluray set. These definitely seems like an improvement though. Funny enough, I just finished watching them Whole Bean and movies. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like Mr. Bean. If I do, I don't want to know them.
Thanks given by:
Brandon K (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

My understanding is that Mr. Bean was originally "filmed" on tape, so a resolution increase isn't possible, making a Blu-ray release unlikely.

The "only" benefit of putting them on Blu-ray would be a non-interlaced, lower compression mastering.

Without the A&E set to do my own research, I've been trying to find out more information, and it does sound like the frame rate issue is a PAL to NTSC problem, which is pretty unbelievable in 2015 and such a shame, because of the great PQ of this release compared to the A&E release.

Sigh...
Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 AM   #19
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
My understanding is that Mr. Bean was originally "filmed" on tape, so a resolution increase isn't possible, making a Blu-ray release unlikely.
You are correct. Almost all of Mr. Bean was shot on Videotape but some of the exteriors were shot on 16mm Film.

I bought the new Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean 25th Anniversary Collection in August and I'm very happy with it. The picture quality is surprisingly good for a TV Show that was shot almost entirely on Videotape, I'm impressed with the remastering process.

It is nice that the missing scenes are included as extras but I would have preferred if they were edited back into their episodes.

I wanted the original Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean DVD Set from A&E but I avoided it, I did however borrow it from my Public Library many times. I'm happy that Shout Factory & Fabulous re-released the set for the show's 25th Anniversary and I think that it is superior over the original set from A&E.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #20

Sep 2011

Anyone else notice the audio "popping" on some episodes? I notice it most during the Christmas episode when he leads the band. Anytime there is consistent audio or music there is this strange popping distortion. Maybe it's just me? Some Amazon reviewers mentioned it as well.

I previously owned the A&E set and it did take me awhile to get used to the new frame rate or whatever happened. But to me, it does not make it unwatchable.

In the end, this set is a HUGE upgrade from the A&E set. I find it amazing they were able to bring out as much detail in the video as they did. Can't beat the price either!

Last edited by EHuffy; 12-16-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies