Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45

All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #21
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHuffy View Post
Anyone else notice the audio "popping" on some episodes? I notice it most during the Christmas episode when he leads the band. Anytime there is consistent audio or music there is this strange popping distortion. Maybe it's just me? Some Amazon reviewers mentioned it as well.

I previously owned the A&E set and it did take me awhile to get used to the new frame rate or whatever happened. But to me, it does not make it unwatchable.

In the end, this set is a HUGE upgrade from the A&E set. I find it amazing they were able to bring out as much detail in the video as they did. Can't beat the price either!
I did not hear any audio popping on my set.

I agree with you, it is pretty amazing on how good the episodes look considering the fact that they were shot on Videotape.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

There's no question about the video quality improvement on the Shout set. It's miles ahead of the A&E set. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who can "forget" the original pacing of the show and get used to a new (and not the original) frame rate.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #23

Feb 2016

Love this series, particularly the Christmas episode. I got the set at Walmart.

HR Pufnstuf
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #24

Jan 2011

How do the different releases of this series compare, A/V quality and content/extras wise? I've read that the UK release is also remastered, so maybe it's the same PQ as the Shout! remaster without the framerate issues.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #25

Mar 2015

Exclusive to the Shout set:
The Best Bits Of Mr. Bean - Clip show episode
The few missing scenes that had been added into American (and maybe other territory's) broadcasts/VHS tapes

Exclusive to the A&E set:
Comic Relief sketches - Torvill & Bean, Blind Date

As far as the extras go, I still prefer the A&E set. The comic relief sketches are essentially 2 extra episodes of Mr. Bean. The missing scenes on the new Shout set are great to have but add up to maybe 5 minutes total. And of course clip shows are kind of irrelevant nowadays.
Thanks given by:
cyborgLIS (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:45 AM   #26

Jan 2011

Thank you for that breakdown. It seems those two Comic Relief sketches (Torvill and Bean; Blind Date) appear in the A&E set and nowhere else, even internationally. Also the wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bean#Home_media) page for the show mentions "Interview with Rowan Atkinson" for one of the UK releases, but it's unclear which set. I don't see it on the back of the box for this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Bean-Dig.../dp/B004124A4K) or anywhere in the dvdcompare page (http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3638).
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #27
Banned

Nov 2013
-
-
-
-

This is $11.99 at Best Buy. Is the PQ quality worth the upgrade? I have the older DVD set.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

The PQ is much improved on the new set, however the frame rate of the show was affected by the "remastering" process, and thus the show moves at a slower pace. This affects the "mood" of the show.

If you've been watching the A&E set for some time, you'll definitely notice.

Here's the link to my review, but more importantly the commentators detailing the change in FPS.

http://smile.amazon.com/review/R85YW...wasThisHelpful
Thanks given by:
Firecrackker (06-09-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

Jun 2016

Hello?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #30
Contributor

Jun 2012
USA 🦅
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by telerush View Post
Hello?
Hi.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:09 AM   #31

Jun 2016

Hello. Just picked up the DVD set from Walmart. I live in Canada. I noticed that at certain times there is this little black/grey box in the upper right hand corner of the screen (with moving lines inside of it). It is at the same spots of the show every time and it lasts about 30-45 seconds and then it disappears. Trash basket/pencil lineup scene among others. Anyone else have this problem, or did I just simply buy a faulty set? Thanks.

Last edited by jgb; 06-25-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #32

Sep 2011

That weird box shows up during the end of some episodes on my set as well. I have no idea what it could be.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #33

Jun 2013
uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHuffy View Post
That weird box shows up during the end of some episodes on my set as well. I have no idea what it could be.
I am pretty sure it means there's about to be a commercial break
Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #34

Jul 2016
NH

And there's no black box/es on A&E's set?

I am surprised to hear the scenes cut out of the episodes only add up to 5m. That's disappointing. Which shouldn't be- considering that I've now been feeling like there's something gigantic missing from my life since I bought the A&E set and assumed that A&E of all people wouldn't support clipping the episodes of anything.

Of course, I also have the "old" Fawlty Towers set and don't think I'll ever "upgrade" to the new remastered set. It's always looked great to me. (Are there a bunch of new extras? Because the 2001 set was already pretty packed.)

I don't know whether I could deal with Bean changing pace at all. I love the show as a whole but nowhere near as much as some do. I'm more of a scene type-of-person. And the scene I watch about 20 times in a row is when Bean has an eating competition with the blond man who irritated him at check-in, so he follows him around and tries to "sabotage" his elevator by pressing the button for every floor as he runs up the stairs. And of course, he winds up eating the bad oysters... I adore that scene. I literally have to watch it at least 12-14 times in a row. I am not understating.

I think I would notice a change of pace or acceleration/deceleration of frame rate in that scene. But maybe not for each episode overall. Not until the music kicked in.
Thanks given by:
Evil (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfliesDVD View Post
[Show spoiler]And there's no black box/es on A&E's set?

I am surprised to hear the scenes cut out of the episodes only add up to 5m. That's disappointing. Which shouldn't be- considering that I've now been feeling like there's something gigantic missing from my life since I bought the A&E set and assumed that A&E of all people wouldn't support clipping the episodes of anything.

Of course, I also have the "old" Fawlty Towers set and don't think I'll ever "upgrade" to the new remastered set. It's always looked great to me. (Are there a bunch of new extras? Because the 2001 set was already pretty packed.)

I don't know whether I could deal with Bean changing pace at all. I love the show as a whole but nowhere near as much as some do. I'm more of a scene type-of-person. And the scene I watch about 20 times in a row is when Bean has an eating competition with the blond man who irritated him at check-in, so he follows him around and tries to "sabotage" his elevator by pressing the button for every floor as he runs up the stairs. And of course, he winds up eating the bad oysters... I adore that scene. I literally have to watch it at least 12-14 times in a row. I am not understating.

I think I would notice a change of pace or acceleration/deceleration of frame rate in that scene. But maybe not for each episode overall. Not until the music kicked in.
If you've watched that one scene that many times then you will definitely notice the change. In that scene Bean eats those Oysters very quickly, thus this will appear slower on the Shout! set and IMO take away from that scene.

With Mr. Bean there are episodes I've watched hundreds of times, while others I barely watch. For those episodes which I know like the back of my hand, the change was not something I could adjust to.

If I have some free time (a scarce item these days) I'll try to make a comparison video, but frankly I don't see what good that would do if Shout! hasn't already done something about fixing the sets.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Following up for those that are interested (and are region free), I ordered the Remastered Mr. Bean set from the UK which can be found here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up paying about $8 USD and a few bucks more for shipping. The PQ is better than on the A&E set (details are better) and most importantly the frame rate has not been changed.

It's not a world of a difference from the A&E set (upscaled), but it is better.
Thanks given by:
thatguamguy (11-22-2016)
Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #37

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
So they are only including the missing scenes as extras? I'll pass. I have the "Complete Mr Bean" Japanese PolyGram DVD released in the late 1990s that has all of the episodes uncut. And the missing scenes aren't US only. Any video release from PolyGram is going to have them. The scenes were cut only after Universal bought PolyGram .
Utter nonsense. The Japanese Mr Bean set from 1998 DOES NOT have the Harrods scene with the chair or the matches scene or the marching scene. Just spent 80 on it because you said it had all scenes uncut and it doesn’t. Since you ignored my messages asking you to confirm this, I gambled on it being intact since it’s Polygram but the Japanese DVD set is NOT UNCUT either!!!! Expensive lesson learned!!

Last edited by PerfectHitman; 04-02-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:46 AM   #38

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one who knocks View Post
Exclusive to the Shout set:
The Best Bits Of Mr. Bean - Clip show episode
The few missing scenes that had been added into American (and maybe other territory's) broadcasts/VHS tapes

Exclusive to the A&E set:
Comic Relief sketches - Torvill & Bean, Blind Date

As far as the extras go, I still prefer the A&E set. The comic relief sketches are essentially 2 extra episodes of Mr. Bean. The missing scenes on the new Shout set are great to have but add up to maybe 5 minutes total. And of course clip shows are kind of irrelevant nowadays.
Man, I hate when I'm a completionist and there's not a 'complete' definitive set. :/ I'm missing those two sketches, one of which is actually good, from the A&E set. And missing something from Shout.

I'm in Europe, so at least I got the proper PAL version, better than nothing..
Old 02-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #39

Oct 2019

Mr bean is most dramatic movie in the whole world.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #40
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
Man, I hate when I'm a completionist and there's not a 'complete' definitive set. :/ I'm missing those two sketches, one of which is actually good, from the A&E set. And missing something from Shout.

I'm in Europe, so at least I got the proper PAL version, better than nothing..
Likewise, I'd like to get the animated series on Blu-ray/DVD, but in Australia, the DVDs are now out of print, and we wound up with the same censored releases as the UK.

To provide some context, about five episodes were issued a PG certificate by the BBFC, and Universal wanted the animated series releases to be U-rated, so they excised the PG episodes (they didn't just censor the episodes, but excluded them entirely). The Australian releases have those same episodes missing as well, though Universal didn't even bother to have them classified here.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the UK PG episodes would have been rated G here as our classification standards are usually far more relaxed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies