Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.05
13 hrs ago
Hell on Wheels: The Complete Series (DVD)
$36.92
1 day ago
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (DVD)
$24.96
4 hrs ago
Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
The Father (DVD)
$17.99

Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 11-07-2020, 02:25 AM   #41

Oct 2020
United States

Anyone who owns the A&E set, are the episodes in their original 60fps (or 50?), or shown in 23.976 fps? I have the Shout DVD since years ago, which the episodes seem to be 23.967 fps to 29.97. The extras are in 60fps.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:13 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkDaMan View Post
Anyone who owns the A&E set, are the episodes in their original 60fps (or 50?), or shown in 23.976 fps? I have the Shout DVD since years ago, which the episodes seem to be 23.967 fps to 29.97. The extras are in 60fps.
60fps for video? That's weird.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

I can confirm the A&E set has the correct frame rate (the Shout ver does not).
Thanks given by:
ChunkDaMan (11-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #44
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
60fps for video? That's weird.
Like a lot of UK TV shows at the time, I remember these were shot on video (50 images per second, interlaced) but they'd occasionally go out to film running at 25fps (progressive) for outdoor shoots. At least in the older ones.

Going up to 60 (well, 59.94) images per second, which would need to be interlaced on DVD, would be the only way to present the original appearance of the video parts, and also get guaranteed playback on equipment sold in the US.

Last edited by David M; 11-09-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #45

Oct 2020
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
I can confirm the A&E set has the correct frame rate (the Shout ver does not).
Besides the original framerate, is the image quality better on the Shout release than the A&E despite Shout advertising the 2015 set "remastered"?

EDIT: Going through Disc 4 (Special features) on the Shout release, watching the "Best of Bean" part, the [indoor] clips seem to be in their original framerate. Though the video suffers from chroma noise, I'm assuming the A&E set has this, but I would prefer chroma noise just for the original framerate than the 24fps downconversion if that's the case. I don't have the original A&E release as of this post yet, but it's on my list to get soon.

Shout release (23.976 fps)

Best of Bean featurette, Disc 4 of Shout Release (59.94 fps)

Last edited by ChunkDaMan; 11-08-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #46
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

If it's actually been converted to 23.98fps, then half of the images captured by the video camera will have been dropped.

Last edited by David M; 11-09-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If it's actually been converted to 23.98fps, then half of the images captured by the video camera will have been dropped.
A lot don't seem to get this, including restoration companies who should know better.

See the UK Day of the Triffids thread. They deinterlaced all the video footage to match the filmed material, even though the disc itself is encoded 50i so there was no technical need for any conversion (even though the official response to the issue tried to make that out as a reason).

(Yes, still fuming).

Isn't the "remastered" Keeping Up Appearances similarly treated?

Last edited by oddbox83; 11-09-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
ChunkDaMan (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #48
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

To be blunt, it seems there are fewer and fewer people working in this field (har har) who understand interlaced video. It's not the easiest thing to understand. We often end up rejecting masters for archival bonus features where a well-meaning editor tries to "fix" interlaced video by converting it to 24p in an editing tool - which blows out half of the vertical resolution and half of the temporal resolution in the process.

Most people think interlaced video is some kind of fault.

Last edited by David M; 11-09-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Thanks given by:
chen lung (11-20-2020), ChunkDaMan (11-10-2020), oddbox83 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkDaMan View Post
Besides the original framerate, is the image quality better on the Shout release than the A&E despite Shout advertising the 2015 set "remastered"?
The PQ on the Shout release is much better than the A&E set, however given how much the pacing and feeling of the show is changed due to the frame rate issue, the show is unwatchable (to me).

Here is a link to the original review I did for Amazon when the set first came out with some comparison pics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...at_pdctrvw_srp

If you have a region free player, I can recommend this set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Bean-Dig...ean+dvd&sr=8-2

It has fantastic PQ, and no frame rate issues (it's the set I currently use to watch Mr. Bean).
Thanks given by:
ChunkDaMan (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #50
Expert Member

Sep 2016

Quote:
The PQ on the Shout release is much better than the A&E set, however given how much the pacing and feeling of the show is changed due to the frame rate issue, the show is unwatchable (to me).

Here is a link to the original review I did for Amazon when the set first came out with some comparison pics

If you have a region free player, I can recommend this set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Bean-Dig...ean+dvd&sr=8-2

It has fantastic PQ, and no frame rate issues (it's the set I currently use to watch Mr. Bean).
How does I Pal version compared to the Shout in terms of image quality?
Old 11-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
How does I Pal version compared to the Shout in terms of image quality?
Comparable, if not better. To my eyes the PQ appears more organic and less messed with. I sold off the Shout set after getting it and doing an A B comparison. Honestly even if I had not gotten the PAL set, I still would have sold off the Shout set and gone back to the A&E set.

With that said however, the PAL set is miles ahead of the A&E set in terms of PQ. I believe it's currently the best edition of the show you can find on DVD (great PQ + original frame rate).
Thanks given by:
ChunkDaMan (11-13-2020), panasonicst60 (11-13-2020), ps3bd_owner (03-07-2021)
Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:

I would imagine the framerate on the Shout! set is the equivalent of watching a video-taped show online; film-like but not really.

In other words, it doesn't have the "live" video framerate the A&E set had.

Another good example is watching Mama's Family on MeTV (and why THOSE masters were supplied is beyond me).
Old 11-18-2020, 05:07 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

How about this WHOLE BEAN collection? Is it a more complete set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Bean-Whole-Complete-Collection/dp/B00F5UC6AC/
Old 11-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
How about this WHOLE BEAN collection? Is it a more complete set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Bean-Whole-Complete-Collection/dp/B00F5UC6AC/
It's just got the animated series and movies added.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:58 AM   #55

Mar 2009

I'm glad this thread exists, because I was going to place the order, but I was swayed by the apparent drawbacks of the Shout release. So I ordered the A&E release, which I had previously owned, but lost for whatever reason.

Watching this (A&E) on my modest 55" 4K setup, it is entirely watchable from a reasonable distance mind you (let's say at least 10'). It has the correct framerate, and honestly, that is good enough for me.

I'm sure one day once I again have the luxury of disposable income, I'll order whichever UK set is the best.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:49 AM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

A&E set is fine with me. Classic show and one that I watched a lot as a kid on HBO. It's a love or hate kind of thing and I've known people who think it's terribly unfunny whereas I find Rowan a master of physical comedy.

He was also fantastic on stage and there's a hilarious release simply titled "Rowan Atkinson Live" featuring both spoken and unspoken sketches; the narration was really funny as well. However, versions seem to be slightly different as I noticed some changed/altered dialogue in subsequent releases compared to the vhs I used to own.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the A&E set. Despite now owning the UK set and using that for my viewings, I am holding on to the A&E set purely for nostalgic reasons.

The A&E set has something charming about it and it allowed me to finally watch Mr. Bean at any time, as opposed to previously being restricted to watching it only when it aired sporadically on PBS (I didn't have HBO or anything like that back then).
Old 03-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Had some free time and decided to pull out both the A&E set and the UK set, and do some screen cap comparisons for this thread.

As I said in my previous post, the A&E set is perfectly watchable, but doing an A/B comparison of both sets I think you will see that the colors are much more vivid and detail is better resolved on the UK set. Another big difference is the way the image was framed. There's a bit more information on the sides and top and bottom of the image (the toothbrush scene shows it best IMO) on the UK set.

I captured these using VLC with no filters or enhancements. All images were under 1 MB so no compression when I uploaded to Imgur (hopefully). The A&E image is always on top.

Thanks given by:
BluZone (03-07-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies