Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 08-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Default Classic Doctor Who Collections

Anyone else collect classic Who on DVD? I have 16 more stories to get and then I'm done, so I have like 120 or so. Feels good to be getting towards the end. I collect the UK versions for the better packaging and no edits to songs and such.

I noticed quite a few are not on the database here when I finally added my collection today:

Leisure Hive
Visitation SE
The Awakening
Vengeance on Varos SE

I'll have to figure out how to add stuff to the database unless someone else does.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2013
TN

Yeah, my Who collection is completely out of control. Need about 20 more to complete things, but I also have multiples of some stories (US, UK, SE). Two bookcases and several piles. Plus the books. And magazines. And Big Finish. And soundtracks. And t-shirts. And action figures. I don't even wanna think about how much money I've spent on Doctor Who...

What's your favorite?
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (06-12-2017)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman slim View Post
Yeah, my Who collection is completely out of control. Need about 20 more to complete things, but I also have multiples of some stories (US, UK, SE). Two bookcases and several piles. Plus the books. And magazines. And Big Finish. And soundtracks. And t-shirts. And action figures. I don't even wanna think about how much money I've spent on Doctor Who...
I'm in the same boat as you. Far too much Who in my life, and I love every bit of it. I've got all the DVDs. All of the Missing Episode Soundtracks (and recons). A lot of Big Finish (I don't even want to estimate). All of the titles in the main two Virgin Books series. Not to mention the amount of money I've spent on going to conventions to meet various actors/actresses.

This is a pic of my collection as of a few months ago...yes, there has been more added to it.

Quote:
What's your favorite?
Favorite Doctor: Troughton
Favorite Companion: Liz Shaw
Favorite TARDIS Team: Fourth, Sarah Jane, and Harry
Favorite Story: City of Death
Favorite Monster: Cybermen
Favorite Master: Delgado

That's all the superlatives that I can think of.

Last edited by biglou114; 08-03-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

It really does feel like too much. My 100 or so UK releases are in a box in the closet. I need to get a new shelf to display them on, my movie shelves are packed as it is. Thank god I have a media room, can't imagine this stuff in a living room.

My favorites:

Doctor: Pertwee

Era: Baker's first three seasons probably, with their Hammer Horror vibe. Also love most of Pertee's era and Troughton's, so that whole stretch is classic Who for me.

Story: Weirdly enough, Frontier in Space is my fave, which isn't a very well spoken of story most of the time. I live Star Trek style space politics though, so this one stands out a lot for me.

Least favorite Doctor is 5, who I consider very boring. Don't really like the show much at all after JNT took over either, but I still own most of them because I am silly.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #5

Jun 2015

Here's my small Classic Who collection next to my NuWho stuff.

I'm limiting myself to collecting all of the Fourth Doctor's stories and will work my way to the Third Doctor afterwards. I have Masque of Mandragora on the way to start off season fourteen.

I have the Sirens of Time Big Finish audio nestled away at the end of the shelf and a digital copy of The Light at the End.

I used to own all thirteen Doctors and the Tardis in minifig form from Character Building but sold them off recently after remembering that Lego is supposed to put out a Who set. That'll go next to the Back to the Future and Indiana Jones Lego stuff in the pic.

Quote:
What's your favorite?
Doctor: Classic-wise, it's a tie between Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.
Companion: Sarah Jane!
Story: Ark in Space, I think. I do have a soft spot for Carnival of Monsters, though, with that being my initial exposure to Doctor Who.
Era: Probably the early Fourth stuff. As StingingVelvet said, gotta admire that horror-esque feeling to it!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I went through the classic Doctor Who episodes on DVD and I am only missing 3:
Curse of Fenric (McCoy)
Time Flight (Davison)
Planet of Fire (Davison)
I'll get them eventually but they are out of print in the US.
I'm looking into a region free player so I may get their UK counterparts.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #7

Dec 2013
Arvada, CO

Yes long time Whovian here (since I was 4!), and I've got every episode of the classic series on DVD and almost all of NuWho on DVD as well. Too many Big Finish and BBC audio to count too. Love it!

So after they released Spearhead from Space on blu-ray no more classic who on blu-ray huh?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezilla View Post
So after they released Spearhead from Space on blu-ray no more classic who on blu-ray huh?
Since most of the episodes are stage bound and shot on video, Spearhead was an obvious blu choice since its almost (if not all) shot on film on location.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2013
TN

True, but they could do like Eagle Rock's SD concert series; could probably put an entire season on a couple Blu's. It'd be convenient for new collectors, and yet another opportunity to sell to those of us that have to have everything.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
Power Member

Apr 2011
The Gulf

I need 18 more to be complete. I just snagged a few Sara Jane seasons cheap. So almost there.

Are the British editions any clearer being 576i? And do they contain the same episodes as U.S. counterparts? By that, is The Two Doctors DVD the same episodes in the UK as the U.S. or will I need to grab others to fill in? I've heard yes and no.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I imported all mine from the UK after buying a handful in the US. I compared the two on an upscaling BD player and didn't really see much difference. I mostly imported because it was cheaper and I like the packaging better.

Not sure what you mean by same episodes, but yeah the content is all the same except for a few cases of cuts in the US, usually for music licensing reasons. The UK releases are all complete, as far as I know.
Thanks given by:
thecalm_7 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

I have all of the new Who on DVD and series 5,8 on Blu Ray. Has for classic Who I am just collecting the John Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison DVDs.

I picked up The E-Space Trilogy DVD box set yesterday and I got series 8 on Blu Ray.

Really enjoying watching the classics. I need

16 to finish the John Perwee collection.
20 to finish the Tom Baker collection.
13 to finish the Peter Davison collection.

Last edited by Gizz; 03-13-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:01 AM   #13
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

I keep forgetting to import more Classic and Current Doctor Who from Amazon UK, Zavvi, etc. Also since it's the course country and far far far cheaper compared to here in the USA which is way too overpriced. Still the very few TV on DVD I still rarely buy.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
I keep forgetting to import more Classic and Current Doctor Who from Amazon UK, Zavvi, etc. Also since it's the course country and far far far cheaper compared to here in the USA which is way too overpriced. Still the very few TV on DVD I still rarely buy.
Yeah I rarely buy TV either, just some premium cable shows and a few sci-fi classics. I also switched to UK releases to save money, and the packaging is nicer too!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015
Norwich

I have 53 releases still to get. Which equals 19 boxsets and 34 single releases.

So based on BBC Shop prices...
220.66 in single releases
227.81 in boxsets

Which comes to a grand total of 448.47. Phew.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2009

Luckily I have every story in R1, but I'm starting to consider selling the lot and rebuy everything in R2. But I have absolutely no idea how much I should sell it for.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2011
The Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I imported all mine from the UK after buying a handful in the US. I compared the two on an upscaling BD player and didn't really see much difference. I mostly imported because it was cheaper and I like the packaging better.

Not sure what you mean by same episodes, but yeah the content is all the same except for a few cases of cuts in the US, usually for music licensing reasons. The UK releases are all complete, as far as I know.
^
I wasnt thinking straight when I typed the episode bit. I was thinking of anime and how sometimes the US puts 4 or 5 episodes on a disc vs another country doing 2-3. You go to watch it and you realize you missed an episode. Gundam was like that. I bought US volume 1, 5 episodes, foreign volume 2 and it was 3 episodes, so I was really only 1 episode ahead of the US releases due to episode configuration.

But Doctor Who is released in story arcs. So that shouldn't happen. I'm missing the US OOP volumes and will be importing them from the UK as soon as I finish changing addresses. Didnt want to buy stuff that overlapped what I had already.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015
Norwich

The Underwater Menace announced!

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/638740727753768960
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #19

Sep 2012
Default Underwater Menace

Just picked up the Underwater Menace this weekend. I was surprised to see it had a slipcover in R1. I don't think any of the other releases had a slipcover in the US. Maybe it was a B&N exclusive, not sure.

I have the entire collection of R1 DW releases (I did replace original releases w/ the Special Editions, except Key To Time, I kept the original set too).

I want to import The Chase just to get a copy w/ the Beatles footage.

The series takes up a LOT of space. I actually just bought a bulk lot of 8 disc cases and I'm moving all of the releases into Season/Series sets. Two or three run over the 8 discs, I will just put them in a less full case. Some may be too OCD for that.

I am putting the finishing touches on the custom covers I made. All of them are done except two of the Troughton ones. They are simple, but when printed on photo paper they look pretty good.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #20

Sep 2010
Default Need 4

Doctor who DVDs need by name & #
4 needed region 1 DVDs
First Doctor releases

Story no. Serial name

013 The Web Planet

Second Doctor releases

050 The War Games (have region 2) regeneration set

Third Doctor releases

074 Planet of the spiders (have region 2) regeneration set