Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99
11 hrs ago
All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99
11 hrs ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Elizabeth Gaskell Collection (DVD)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98
15 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

As Time Goes By: Complete Seasons 1-9 (DVD)
$29.99
11 hrs ago
Miss Marple: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$29.99
10 hrs ago
Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 AM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles96 View Post
I absolutely recommend (to CrossRhodes and anyone else) new buyers start with the R2 UK releases instead of the US ones. a few reasons why:

1. The UK packaging is really nice, and far more consistent than the dull black ones in the US.
2. A lot of the R1 releases are now OOP, and go for insane prices. The War Games alone is something like $300-500 last time I checked. It would be so much cheaper to import them.
Plus the U.K. discs play at the correct speed with the exception being Doctor Who: The Movie.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:27 AM   #42

Jan 2013
Lansing KS

I haven't been able to get the R1 releases as often as I'd like so I'm in a middle ground of slowly picking up Classic Doctor Who. I'm at a point where I'll probably pick up the UK releases (had already planned on doing that for "The Chase" anyways); it's amazing how much cheaper they are than the region 1 releases.

I'm not opposed to picking up used copies, and have done so when I could get a good deal. But even then the prices of new UK releases tend to even beat out used region 1 prices.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 AM   #43
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

well the rest came in the mail today now i'm down to needing #42. there's really only a select few that are really awful at prices in R1. at least the ones i need. i have war games i had bought that when 1st came out and i'm glad i did. i have the R1 version of The Chase but i do plan on getting the R2 version of it. i just want to finish my collection 1st.

who knows maybe i'll get lucky and find certain ones cheap? i think it's funny one of the 1st ones i bought years ago is Ghost Light. i got it used for $5.00 and it wasn't on amazon. now it's selling for some really awful high price, i dunno how rare that one is the R1 release i mean. but i do have that one
Old 06-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #44
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

anyone know which ones are out of print ? i like to go after the ones when a good sale comes and get those. and i've been lucky a number of times. it took me over a year to finally get The Invasion i got this this past x-mas after waiting ages like i said over a year before the price on amazon went down to a reasonable price
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #45
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
well the rest came in the mail today now i'm down to needing #42. there's really only a select few that are really awful at prices in R1. at least the ones i need. i have war games i had bought that when 1st came out and i'm glad i did. i have the R1 version of The Chase but i do plan on getting the R2 version of it. i just want to finish my collection 1st.

who knows maybe i'll get lucky and find certain ones cheap? i think it's funny one of the 1st ones i bought years ago is Ghost Light. i got it used for $5.00 and it wasn't on amazon. now it's selling for some really awful high price, i dunno how rare that one is the R1 release i mean. but i do have that one
R1 on Amazon is $137. Ebay has a copy for $78.78. So, good buy.

A lot of the last season of McCoy serials went OOP around the time they were releasing the last of the new to disc serials, and that was it. It's a shame, too. That was a good season overall, and the omnibus/movie versions as extras were nice to have.

R2, of course, it's available on Amazon UK for seven pounds, before VAT removal.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:31 AM   #46
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
Also Web of Fear, which I ended up not picking up because of the missing episode.

...which apparently was found with the other episodes but some unscrupulous individual swiped it for some private collector.
For a long time there have been rumors about private collectors sitting on "lost" Doctor Who episodes, though I've never taken them very seriously...

...until I heard about whatbhappened to "Web of Fear."
Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Plus the U.K. discs play at the correct speed with the exception being Doctor Who: The Movie.
They all run at the correct speed in the US too apart from the one you mention, plus The Moonbase, which was incorrectly converted to 24p, and the Spearhead From Space Blu-ray but that was a sensible choice to maintain filmic quality as it was shot on film even if at 25 frames a second.

Classic Who was largely shot on video and apart from those exceptions have been converted 576i50 to 480i60, which keeps original speed and interlaced video look.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (06-18-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #48

Jan 2017

Quote:
anyone know which ones are out of print ? i like to go after the ones when a good sale comes and get those. and i've been lucky a number of times. it took me over a year to finally get The Invasion i got this this past x-mas after waiting ages like i said over a year before the price on amazon went down to a reasonable price
WILLIAM HARTNELL
THE SENSORITES
The Rescue / The Romans

THE SPACE MUSEUM / THE CHASE
The Web Planet
The Time Meddler
The Gunfighters

PATRICK TROUGHTON
The Invasion

THE DOMINATORS

THE KROTONS
The War Games

JON PERTWEE

SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
Terror of the Autons

COLONY IN SPACE
THE MIND OF EVIL
The Time Monster
Planet of the Spiders

TOM BAKER

ROBOT

GENESIS OF THE DALEKS

REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN
TERROR OF THE ZYGONS

PLANET OF EVIL

PYRAMIDS OF MARS

THE MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA
THE FACE OF EVIL

IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
CITY OF DEATH

NIGHTMARE OF EDEN

PETER DAVISON
Black Orchid
Earthshock
Time-Flight
ARC OF INFINITY
The Awakening
Frontos
Planet of Fire

COLIN BAKER
ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN
The Mark of the Rani
The Two Doctors

DOCTOR WHO - TV MOVIE

SYLVESTER McCOY
HAPPINESS PATROL
DRAGONFIRE
THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY
Battlefield
Ghost Light
The Curse of Fenric

This is a list from 2013 though, and was the most recent i could find. so I imagine more titles are discontinued now.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #49
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

you sure some went out i think sooner than that. on that i have all the 1st doctors and 2nd. some of those i did forgot to mark as i did forget they were out of print so thank you.

i have the tv movie as well. in short i do have some of the out of print titles i just don't have them all sadly. oh and thank you
Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #50
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
you sure some went out i think sooner than that. on that i have all the 1st doctors and 2nd. some of those i did forgot to mark as i did forget they were out of print so thank you.

i have the tv movie as well. in short i do have some of the out of print titles i just don't have them all sadly. oh and thank you
Talons of Weng Chiang was OOP in 2011, but rereleased in a new special edition a couple years later.

So a few that went OOP before they started padding the schedule in 2011/2012 were eventually rereleased.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #51
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

that one i do have in the SE edition, i loved when they were putting those out cause than i was able to catch up on ones i needed. when i got Carnival of monsters yesterday in the mail i had forgotten they even did a SE of it. i've often wondered how well these things even sell? they are prolly bigger sellers in the UK i'm guessing. but in the US I mean
Old 06-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #52

Jan 2013
Lansing KS

A quick FYI thanks to Knuckles96's OOP list bringing it to mind again.

Among the Jon Pertwee OOP titles is SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE; you can get this on DVD like all the other releases but this serial is special. Why? It was the only classic Doctor Who serial entirely recorded on film (all the other used mainly video cameras with film for on location).

The film elements for SFS escaped destruction and were used to make an HD master for the serial, making it the only classic Doctor Who serial available on blu-ray. And a quick search shows the blu-ray readily available still.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 AM   #53
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

i at some point will get that on blu-ray. i do have it on DVD though. mine is the SE version of it with Fleetwood Mac that was put back in there since the i think Original Reason they were at the time unable to put that on there. which is really funny because if they redid that one, why don't they do a version of The Chase with the Beatles footage as well? they both are british Bands. well Mac started out in the UK anyways.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
i at some point will get that on blu-ray. i do have it on DVD though. mine is the SE version of it with Fleetwood Mac that was put back in there since the i think Original Reason they were at the time unable to put that on there. which is really funny because if they redid that one, why don't they do a version of The Chase with the Beatles footage as well? they both are british Bands. well Mac started out in the UK anyways.
The reason being that a few years ago in the UK new licencing agreements were passed that allows for music for the music to be passed without any new for the music to be removed/replaced.

The same issue came up with Remembrance of the Daleks in which two tracks of The Beatles could be heard in the background, but like Spearhead from Space at the time of the original release such laws were not in place and the tracks had to be removed.

With The Chase the reason for The Beatles clip removed was it cost more to licence the music than it would do against the projected sales, so was easier and cheaper to remove it than to include it.

None of it has to do with the two being British bands per se.

Last edited by Jezza; 06-15-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

The Beatles are on the UK version of The Chase.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
The Beatles are on the UK version of The Chase.
That's my point.

It was removed for the Region 1 release because it cost too much money to licence it for the North American market, against lower projected sales.

Whereas in the UK it's covered by a blanket agreement that allows it to be included.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Mrs. was trying to talk me into Britbox because she knows I enjoy the old Doctor Who's, but I noticed a few episodes missing and decided to continue to rent them through Netflix occasionally instead.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #58
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

actually i was joking about it both of them being from the UK. they are true, i just find it funny that both bands are. so Remembrance is cut? the R1 release? i don't have that one actually.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:38 AM   #59
Special Member

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

i watched Paradise Towers last nite. it was cheesy as hell, bad hair it was the 80's.

it was a decent story. a friend of mine had an extra copy of it and last year sent me his copy and i finally got around to watch it. i love Syvester McCoy but the sad thing about his time on the show, is that he didn't always get the best stories sadly.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

The original release of Remembrance had to use replacement music in the UK. Ironically, the replacement music had to be replaced for the US release as that too turned out to be unclearable internationally.

Yep, the UK SE is fine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies