Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.19

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.10

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.41

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$38.99
21 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.50

Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.94

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Arthur Christmas 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #41

Sep 2013

Thats ok as long as they do not stop making current models. There is not much more they pack into any new player. They are all loaded with the latest streaming options and the software is upgradable on most of them .
Old 02-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
Samsung Quits 4K Blu-ray Player Market
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-3d.html

James Cameron partnering with Dolby 3D
A lot of progress. Creative presservaton.
”I’m looking forward to seeing movies on one of these great displays, in my home starting this year.”
When was this overview released?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #43

Oct 2009
GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
James Cameron partnering with Dolby 3D
A lot of progress. Creative presservaton.
Im looking forward to seeing movies on one of these great displays, in my home starting this year.
How does this work? It seems that it can take any medium and turn it into 3D or is the source have to be in 3D? It's confusing but this could be a game changer. We'll just have to see.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
james cameron partnering with dolby 3d
a lot of progress. Creative presservaton.
”i’m looking forward to seeing movies on one of these great displays, in my home starting this year.”
2012?

Or to paraphrase the question:

How long ago was that overview released:

Too long ago.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #45

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
So, will an active 4k set be future proof when and if a full 4k, 3D movie was released?

I had a passive 65" 4k Sony and know how good that looks, it was a revelation to be sure with no ghosting worth mentioning and plenty bright. I will probably wind up with an active 2014 4k (have active experience with PDPs) set though as I want a larger screen and the passive choices are not plentiful. I'm just hoping the ghosting is gone or not bad.
No. HDMI is the bottleneck. Current TVs (minus a couple 2019 models) are limited to 30FPS w/ 4k + HDR metadeta (whether HDR10 or Dolby Vision)

you need a minimum 48FPS for 3D (2x 24)

HDMI 2.1 will allow for enough bandwidth to do it, but there is no standard for 4k HDR 3D, so we're still a long way away.

If it comes, I would guess it's another 5-7 years away.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #46
Special Member

Jul 2009

I can wait that long as long as it DOES come.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #47

Apr 2020

Wow
Old 09-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowSuchUHD View Post
No. HDMI is the bottleneck. Current TVs (minus a couple 2019 models) are limited to 30FPS w/ 4k + HDR metadeta (whether HDR10 or Dolby Vision)

you need a minimum 48FPS for 3D (2x 24)

HDMI 2.1 will allow for enough bandwidth to do it, but there is no standard for 4k HDR 3D, so we're still a long way away.

If it comes, I would guess it's another 5-7 years away.
HDMI 2.0 equipped 4K TVs support 4K at 50/60Hz. HDMI 2.1 equipped 4K TVs support 4K at 100/120Hz

4K UHD Blu-ray does not support 3D. Not in the specifications.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #49

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
HDMI 2.0 equipped 4K TVs support 4K at 50/60Hz. HDMI 2.1 equipped 4K TVs support 4K at 100/120Hz

4K UHD Blu-ray does not support 3D. Not in the specifications.
It doesn't support full frame-packing 4K3D, although it should allow it easily with an update.

Technically, you can make UHD 3D discs. Anaglyph 3D of course which doesn't require a 3D display. Or top/bottom, SBS 3D half resolution. It's up to the display if it can accept the 3D signal.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
It doesn't support full frame-packing 4K3D, although it should allow it easily with an update.

Technically, you can make UHD 3D discs. Anaglyph 3D of course which doesn't require a 3D display. Or top/bottom, SBS 3D half resolution. It's up to the display if it can accept the 3D signal.
The BDA chose not to support 3D on 4K UHD-BD. Yes FP 3D could be added. So could 12 bit color depth and 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. Since the introduction of 4K UHD-BD the BDA hasn't made any improvements to the specs. So what are the chances they will? What would motivate them?

Anaglyph, SbS, T/B - those are taking 3D quality backwards. Not improving it - degrading it.

The best 3D for the home available today is found on 3D BD. Enjoy it will you can.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #51

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
T
Anaglyph, SbS, T/B - those are taking 3D quality backwards. Not improving it - degrading it.

The best 3D for the home available today is found on 3D BD. Enjoy it will you can.
No, t/b half 4K3D is double the resolution of 3D Blu ray. It looks very much full 4K on my display, I cannot tell much difference that it is not full 4K per eye that frame packing 3D would allow. It would be a major improvement to Blu ray 3D to just have releases in this format, if they're not going to have full frame packing MVC in UHD.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
No, t/b half 4K3D is double the resolution of 3D Blu ray. It looks very much full 4K on my display, I cannot tell much difference that it is not full 4K per eye that frame packing 3D would allow. It would be a major improvement to Blu ray 3D to just have releases in this format, if they're not going to have full frame packing MVC in UHD.
Side by Side - half horizontal resolution, full vertical resolution: 960x1080

Top/Bottom - full horizontal resolution, half vertical resolution: 1920x540

Frame Packing - full horizontal resolution and full vertical resolution: 1920x1080

Thanks given by:
Paul H (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #53

Sep 2019

Blu ray 3D:

1920x1080p x 2: 4147200 total pixel resolution vs.

4K3D top/bottom half: 3840x1080x2: 8294400 total pixel resolution. Twice the resolution of Blu ray 3D.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Blu ray 3D:

1920x1080p x 2: 4147200 total pixel resolution vs.

4K3D top/bottom half: 3840x1080x2: 8294400 total pixel resolution. Twice the resolution of Blu ray 3D.
@ Rendered 3D image.

Top/Bottom 3D Horizontal resolution doubles with a 4K disc, with vertical resolution remaining at 1080P per image, giving 4147200 pixel resolution per rendered 3D image.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #55

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
@ Rendered 3D image.

Top/Bottom 3D Horizontal resolution doubles with a 4K disc, with vertical resolution remaining at 1080P per image, giving 4147200 pixel resolution per rendered 3D image.
Yes, each eye receives 4147200 for a combined 8.3mp image. The screen is 4K, it can not show less than 8.3m pixels. On passive 1080p 3D screens it was a combined 1920x540x2: 2073600 while Blu-ray 3D is actually double that resolution with full frame packing. On passive 4K 3D screens you get a combined 8294400 3D image which is double what Blu ray 3D offers.

Yes, if you have a 4K passive LG, it is capable of displaying 3D in higher resolution than 1080p, it even states that in their manuals. You can test this with a few videos I have on YT. (If your internet will allow for 4K streaming.) Some Samsung models from 2015 were also capable but in side by side, I believe.

As far as full frame-packing 4K3D, there is no hardware currently that could support it anyway, that I know of. So why should they add it to the UHD Blu ray spec? Not saying their shouldn't be, it's the logical next step.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-14-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
As far as full frame-packing 4K3D, there is no hardware currently that could support it anyway, that I know of. So why should they add it to the UHD Blu ray spec? Not saying their shouldn't be, it's the logical next step.
That format: FP 4K UHD 3D does not exist. That's why there is no hardware that supports it.

" it's the logical next step" to what? Why would the industry revive 3D? Nothing has changed since the last go around which did not succeed. Increasing the resolution or adding WCG and HDR to 3D doesn't change the fact that people did not like wearing glasses in their homes to watch 3D TV.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #57

Sep 2019

4K3D is the next step up from 1080p 3D. Pretty easy logic. I didn't say it would happen. That's up to hardware manufacturers and movie studios to decide. I don't see them updating the UHD spec until they do.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
4K3D is the next step up from 1080p 3D. Pretty easy logic. I didn't say it would happen. That's up to hardware manufacturers and movie studios to decide. I don't see them updating the UHD spec until they do.
But you haven't said why they would.

It's like the discussion about an 8K based Blu-ray format. It's the logical next step - but the BDA says: not interested.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:59 AM   #59

Sep 2019

Why did they originally add 3D to the Blu ray spec? 3D made a comeback. There's always a cycle with these things. Manufacturers and studios need to sell you new products. That's been the case for years. VHS, DVD, Blu ray, Blu ray 3D, UHD. If there's a market for it, they will have it.

3D hardware is still being developed out there. It's not completely dead, nor is the content. The fact they left 3D off the UHD Blu-ray spec isn't a indicator in itself that determines the fate of UHD 3D content especially since the 3D extension to HEVC was added for multi view UHD streams. I would say the likelyhood of UHD 3D Blu-ray is probable.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Why did they originally add 3D to the Blu ray spec? 3D made a comeback. There's always a cycle with these things. Manufacturers and studios need to sell you new products. That's been the case for years. VHS, DVD, Blu ray, Blu ray 3D, UHD. If there's a market for it, they will have it.
But the market for 3D wasn't there. That's why it ended so quickly and 4K UHD TVs were introduced - because as you said - they need new product to sell and 3D wasn't selling.

We know what the next product already is - you can buy one today: 8K TV. None support 3D BTW.

Quote:
3D hardware is still being developed out there. It's not completely dead, nor is the content. The fact they left 3D off the UHD Blu-ray spec isn't a indicator in itself that determines the fate of UHD 3D content especially since the 3D extension to HEVC was added for multi view UHD streams. I would say the likelihood of UHD 3D Blu-ray is probable.
The only 3D hardware being developed today is Autostereoscopic 3D - no glasses. 3D with glasses is a dead future product. The only place where it continues is where it started - in movie theaters and even that is waning.

The likelihood of 3D being added to the 4K UHD BD spec is nil.

BTW - bought a new Sony BD player about 3 months ago after my Samsung crapped out. It doesn't support 3D BD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology