Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
12 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
15 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$28.12
12 hrs ago
Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.89
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #2741
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Everybody should be satisfied, got Star Trek: Strange New Worlds coming for original Star Trek Fans, Section 31 spin off for mirror universe fans of same period. Discovery becomes Star Trek reinvented with no story lines to worry about because its far into the future. Wait and see if s4 is a lot better. Picard I wonder where they will go with the storyline.
And Identity Politics interspersed in every show.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #2742
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevanian View Post
Haven't seen s3 yet (and probably won't...
So why threadcrap? This thread's for people who watch the show.
Thanks given by:
antinoos (04-12-2021), Cap.T (04-12-2021), Cruel Angel (04-12-2021), GregBlu5 (04-13-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021), solarrdadd (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #2743

Dec 2012
Oshawa

Itís up for pre order now!!!

https://twitter.com/startrek/status/...869493251?s=21
Thanks given by:
Comicfan (04-13-2021), doctorD (04-13-2021), GregBlu5 (04-13-2021), LeftHandedGuitarist (04-12-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #2744
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
So why threadcrap? This thread's for people who watch the show.
Ohh-kay ... so does somebody want to retitle the thread so that 'fact' is specified? That way I will know better than to intrude on anybody's gushathon.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #2745

Aug 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
Like the new uniforms. Those Micheal monolgues are starting to sound like nails on a chalkboard.
They simultaneously bought into their own hype/caved to the naysayers.

The first season was doing it's own thing, a new, grittier take on Trek with the occasional left turn into TOS silliness (the ending of the last Mudd episode, the mirror universe stuff...).

What did you see online?
Tons of people complaining that it wasn't like TNG enough.

It needed to preach and speak to a higher power. And sure, Trek has always been that. But either the modern audience could not recognize it anymore or the writing wasn't strong enough for it to come across. Personally I think it's a bit of both.

So they doubled down on the obviousness. Now we get long drawn out speeches of self seriousness.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #2746
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Ohh-kay ... so does somebody want to retitle the thread so that 'fact' is specified? That way I will know better than to intrude on anybody's gushathon.
Even if it wasn't against site rules (ask any mod) - I wouldn't go into a show thread of a show I didn't like just to negatively post. "Hey I saw this and didn't like such and such" is not the same as "I watched something a couple years ago and don't watch it anymore and it stinks and the people who make the show must hate it, etc".

Last edited by PeterTHX; 04-12-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
GregBlu5 (04-13-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:32 PM   #2747
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Even if it wasn't against site rules (ask any mod) - I wouldn't go into a show thread of a show I didn't like just to negatively post. "Hey I saw this and didn't like such and such" is not the same as "I watched something a couple years ago and don't watch it anymore and it stinks and the people who make the show must hate it, etc".
What does it say about the site rules if that means they don't want informed but dissenting opinions? My occasional tirades against various TREK incarnations and certain Bond films and plenty of other stuff are pretty much never just in the vein of 'it's dum' [sic] but with specific critiques that presumably have some value because they are considered opinions, not just kneejerk spazz-outs.

If this was a thread on TRANSFORMERS, then your point would be more valid, at least in relation to me. I saw the first one, had to struggle to get through it and didn't see anything of value, so I'm pretty sure I never watched another and rarely give the series a thought -- as a result, I wouldn't go into a thread just to crap on it. But with a property that I have been invested in, that's not the same kind of situation at all. I've written professionally about Trek several times in the last 30 years, even been invited to pitch (unsuccessfully) to TNG, and have contributed to places like FACTTREK that are looking to put some accuracy into a record that seems to increasingly want to 'print the legend.'

If I'm critical of this show, it's with defensible good reason.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #2748
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

yawn
Old 04-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #2749

Dec 2012
Oshawa

Great article on Disco, SNW and Picard season 2.

https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/statu...161755139?s=21
Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #2750
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

well, i have S1 & 2 from BBY with the Steelbook, so, i'll be picking up S3 in Steel too! i'm sure they will have a listing for S3 soon!

BBY is killing it, i see the listing Lower Decks S1 in Steelbooks!
Thanks given by:
doctorD (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #2751
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpepsi View Post
Great article on Disco, SNW and Picard season 2.
Direct link without the Twitter stuff in between
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-q-for-picard
Old 04-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #2752

Jun 2020

I just want it to be a much better show than it actually is. I'm not sure if i'll watch anymore STD, the last season was really painful

I'm holding out hope for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds to right this ship
Thanks given by:
neoz (04-13-2021), Outlander (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #2753
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
What does it say about the site rules if that means they don't want informed but dissenting opinions? My occasional tirades against various TREK incarnations and certain Bond films and plenty of other stuff are pretty much never just in the vein of 'it's dum' [sic] but with specific critiques that presumably have some value because they are considered opinions, not just kneejerk spazz-outs.

If this was a thread on TRANSFORMERS, then your point would be more valid, at least in relation to me. I saw the first one, had to struggle to get through it and didn't see anything of value, so I'm pretty sure I never watched another and rarely give the series a thought -- as a result, I wouldn't go into a thread just to crap on it. But with a property that I have been invested in, that's not the same kind of situation at all. I've written professionally about Trek several times in the last 30 years, even been invited to pitch (unsuccessfully) to TNG, and have contributed to places like FACTTREK that are looking to put some accuracy into a record that seems to increasingly want to 'print the legend.'

If I'm critical of this show, it's with defensible good reason.
This possibly gives you a false sense that you understand Star Trek better than most, and with it an inflated sense of entitlement. All I see is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Last edited by Josep5349; 04-13-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #2754
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

This is what's known as gatekeeping.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021), SilverFox84 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #2755
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
This possibly gives you a false sense that you understand Star Trek better than most, and with it an inflated sense of entitlement. All I see is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I know the value of an informed opinion. If you can't see or respect that, then do an ABYSS and look with better eyes.

I've asked the mods to look at this thread and reply on what goes and what doesn't. Going by what the response comes in like, you may not need to fret over my (?!) sense of entitlement much longer.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:07 AM   #2756
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Someone needs to adjust the OAR for the 2nd and 3rd seasons - it's 2.35 and not 2.00:1 which was only the first season. They switched to anamorphic lenses season 2 on.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 AM   #2757
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
Italy

Personally I drifted out in the middle of the Georgiu two-parter.
It's just empty.
Like, some people lament that this is too SJW. I wish it was. Yes, it has a diverse cast and finally some explicit LGBTQ presence but the plots are always stupid apocalyptic crap (oh, god I cringed so hard when it dawned on me season 2 was basically about Skynet) and cheap inter-character drama that is now a dime a dozen on TV. There have been a few interesting self-contained episodes but excluding those the show went downhill with the later half of season one.
Besides sometimes it's nonsensical, like, wouldn't a certain officer being non-binary be on-file? What is this, the 21th century?
I'd expect the Federation to be on top of this stuff and if they wanted to bring it up they could have made a self-contained episodes about a contact with a bigoted civilization that doesn't admit non binary people existence or something.
Oh, wait I forgot we can't have those because we need the stupid apocalypse over-arching plot to occupy most of the show.

Last edited by Det. Bullock; 04-14-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Thanks given by:
kwisatzhaderach (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #2758
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
I know the value of an informed opinion. If you can't see or respect that, then do an ABYSS and look with better eyes.

I've asked the mods to look at this thread and reply on what goes and what doesn't. Going by what the response comes in like, you may not need to fret over my (?!) sense of entitlement much longer.
An informed opinion is not just about absorbing and regurgitating facts. It’s based on consideration of a variety of factors, self awareness being just one of those factors. No one is denying you your right to hold and share your opinion, but you’re kidding yourself if you think you know better than anyone else or that your opinion should be taken as fact. Roddenberry never wanted Star Trek to stand still, one of his wishes was for future Star Trek series to talk to future generations in similar ways his did. Just like any other series, Discovery isn’t prefect, but it is addressing current issues and concerns. You may not agree with how it’s going about it but others do, and if it speaks to them then it’s doing its job.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-14-2021), PeterTHX (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #2759
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
An informed opinion is not just about absorbing and regurgitating facts. Itís based on consideration of a variety of factors, self awareness being just one of those factors. No one is denying you your right to hold and share your opinion, but youíre kidding yourself if you think you know better than anyone else or that your opinion should be taken as fact. Roddenberry never wanted Star Trek to stand still, one of his wishes was for future Star Trek series to talk to future generations in similar ways his did. Just like any other series, Discovery isnít prefect, but it is addressing current issues and concerns. You may not agree with how itís going about it but others do, and if it speaks to them then itís doing its job.
I'm very confused by how you're coming at all this. My spending a couple of paragraphs defending a right to post in this thread -- which shouldn't even be an issue -- is hardly a matter of thinking I 'know better than anyone else.' I put enough thought and info into the comment to indicate my dissenting view is considered, and therefore should not be dismissed as just crapping on a thread, which is what I usually see with from those dropping one-line snipes that don't offer supporting content. If I say that I found, say, dsc s2's last ep to be a poorly written exercise, that doesn't make the episode vanish from anyone's consciousness -- it's just my strongly-held opinion. If you want to misrepresent that as me stating a fact, then you're proceeding from a false premise. If you're somehow intimidated by a strongly-voiced opinion (not that there's any reason to be, but I'm grasping at straws to get your angle), that's also on you.

Your line 'no one is denying you your right to hold and share your opinion' IS exactly the issue here, if you go back and reread the exchange between me and the other poster. If that were in fact the case, then I wouldn't have needed to spend time replying to the poster, because he/she wouldn't have tried to establish some criteria for posting in this thread based on how regularly or often one watches the show.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #2760
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Your line 'no one is denying you your right to hold and share your opinion' IS exactly the issue here, if you go back and reread the exchange between me and the other poster. If that were in fact the case, then I wouldn't have needed to spend time replying to the poster, because he/she wouldn't have tried to establish some criteria for posting in this thread based on how regularly or often one watches the show.
Because shows change and improve. You admitted you've checked out of watching the show - you've said your opinion on what had been current several pages back and it seems pointless to continue beating your dead horse other than to be a self appointed Debbie Downer.

Also imagine judging TNG by the first 2 seasons alone and refusing to watch the rest. Then commenting TNG was garbage years later after season 3. It would be an unnecessary irritant for those currently those watching the show.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows