Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
14 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.99
47 min ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
17 hrs ago
The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$28.12
14 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Somewhere else now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Quote:
CBS CEO Explains Why New ‘Star Trek’ Will Air on Paid Streaming Service

Image via StarTrek.com

For some fans, the excitement over hearing a new “Star Trek” TV series is now officially in development was tempered by the subsequent news that the series, set to debut in January 2017, will air on CBS’ paid streaming service CBS All Access, rather than the network itself. During the network’s third-quarter earnings call today, CBS President and CEO Leslie Moonves discussed the move, as recounted by The Hollywood Reporter. As it turns out, the motivations are pretty much exactly what you’d guess — using the loyalty of “Star Trek” fans to boost All Access, which launched last fall.
“We’re looking to do original content on All Access and build up that platform,” Moonves said. “Netflix is our friend [and] a competitor. They compete with [CBS Corp.’s] Showtime. All Access will put out original content and knowing the loyalty of Star Trek fans, this will boost it… There’s about a billion channels out there and because of Star Trek, people will know what All Access is about.”
Additionally, Moonves said the “Star Trek” properties already have a proven rate of success on CBS All Access, further emboldening CBS to make this move.
“All the series have done well in terms of streaming,” Moonves said. “Added in to that, Star Trek is a huge international franchise. Our international distribution guy is going crazy; he can’t wait to get out to the marketplace and sell that. Right away, we’re more than halfway home on the cost of the show from international alone. The risk is small in seeing the track record.”
The new “Star Trek” series was announced on Monday, and official details are still thing other than it’s said to “introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.” Alex Kurtzman, who worked on both 2009’s “Star Trek” reboot film and its 2013 sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness,” will executive produce the series. This would be the first Star Trek TV series since “Star Trek: Enterprise,” which ran from 2001 to 2005 on the now-defunct UPN network.
The as-yet untitled new “Star Trek” show will first have a “special preview” on the CBS television network, before moving to CBS All Access, which is currently available for $5.99 a month.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...aming-service/
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
All Access will put out original content and knowing the loyalty of Star Trek fans, this will boost it…
The above sentence doesn't sit well with me. Its like he already thinks its a shoe in that every Star Trek fan will sign up for the All Access channel.

He might as well have said "We needed something that would guarantee the success of the All Access channel, and since it's guaranteed that those Trekkies will gobble up anything we serve, we decided to make a new Star Trek show."
Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #43
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Somewhere else now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
The above sentence doesn't sit well with me. Its like he already thinks its a shoe in that every Star Trek fan will sign up for the All Access channel.

He might as well have said "We needed something that would guarantee the success of the All Access channel, and since it's guaranteed that those Trekkies will gobble up anything we serve, we decided to make a new Star Trek show."
Exactly.
Also, it is a She...
Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

Ahhhhh Bite me CBS...if I didn't sign up for Starz for Ash vs. The Evil Dead I'm certainly not going to do it for Star Trek. All these companies think they can just dip into the magic Netflix type well. TV is going to have to sort all this out because they all can't do it.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
Exactly.
Also, it is a She...
Leslie Moonves is actually a guy

Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #46
Special Member

Aug 2013
Texas

Quote:

Exactly, and Trek fans that I know are picky and most think the new movies are recycled fluff. If it works like Netflix exclusives, all someone has to do if subscribe for one month, watch all of the episodes, and then dump it. One show won't help their streaming service in the long run. They should've sold it to Netflix, Hulu, and/or Amazon.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #47
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Somewhere else now.

Quote:
Leslie Moonves is actually a guy

oh...
Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #48
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

If CBS want Star Trek fans to sign-up for their new channel, they should save the money from the series and spend it on mastering Deep Space 9 and Voyager in high-definition. It will cost less ...
Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
While I prefer the original universe I don't think they will be going back

To quote Ronald D Moore It wasn’t that Trek lacked imagination; it was just that the franchise had been burdened down by its own continuity.
Sorry but that just sounds like some excuse he made up to make himself feel better about doing that so called BSG show. But I won't go any further into that.

But anyways it wasn't burned out to me. In fact we should have gotten another season at least of Enterprise. Especially after finding out what they were going to do with it.

Also I liked Nemesis but the release date was bad because of the week later one of the biggest movies from the 2002 came out blew almost everything in theaters away at the time.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
If it works like Netflix exclusives, all someone has to do if subscribe for one month, watch all of the episodes, and then dump it.
That's a great point. I guess they are hoping that along with being loyal, Star Trek fans are also lazy and wont get around to cancelling their subscriptions after binge watching the whole season.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

A Netflix exclusive Trek series would be much better.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Dunlap, TN

Its the same reason that Star Trek Season sets on DVD &/or Blu-ray are usually twice the cost that a normal television season set is because they know the die hard Trekkie's will pay it!
Old 11-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #53
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSequatchie View Post
Its the same reason that Star Trek Season sets on DVD &/or Blu-ray are usually twice the cost that a normal television season set is because they know the die hard Trekkie's will pay it!
I just started watching Star Trek Deep Space 9, and it's fantastic. Went to look at the DVDs. Still between 50-60 bucks a season. That's ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazystoner View Post
Sorry CBS, I'm not paying $5.99 per month to your shitty streaming service just to watch this.
or you can download it for free like everyone else lmao.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

And how does that help fund new TV shows?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
And how does that help fund new TV shows?
Download it, if it's great then buy the release. I don't waste my money on shit.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #57
Banned

Nov 2015
At my PC

Got really excited when I saw the title of this post, then I read the fine details...not really happy about paying $5.99 for CBS All Access. I already have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Not sure if another streaming service is required. Though I guess I could just get 1 month and not renew.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #58
Special Member

Aug 2013
Texas

Quote:
I guess they are hoping that along with being loyal, Star Trek fans are also lazy and wont get around to cancelling their subscriptions after binge watching the whole season.
With modern tech though, it's easy to remember. I simply put a reminder notification in the calendar on my smart phone to unsubscribe to stuff I only get short term.

I'm hoping enough Trek fans complain and they don't get enough to subscribers so they decide to air the entire series on TV or sell it to a more popular streaming service.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Looks like I'll be avoiding this new Star Trek series like the plague that it is. CBS is going to broadcast the pilot episode on CBS networks but further episodes will only be available through "All Access". This is the most moronic move by studio execs that could ever be made. While it's true that Netflix-type services may bring in some numbers, CBS is screwing itself because not everyone has the ability to purchase cable services as well as online services that require an internet connection.

Seriously doubt that this new series will be that successful. This is what happens when you have idiotic studio execs who look at Netflix and think they can repeat that success.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #60
Expert Member

Dec 2015
London
Send a message via Skype™ to Verisimilitude1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngtmat View Post
Sorry but that just sounds like some excuse he made up to make himself feel better about doing that so called BSG show.
So called? One of the best television shows ever created imo. I think Ronald D. Moore had a point in that a new show gave him new freedom as he wasn't entirely weighed down by an existing mythology. He had more control over its direction, certainly something that was grittier and in some ways more realistic. I think we saw BSG's influence begin to rub off on Enterprise with the concept of what the crew had to do to survive and the problems they faced. In comparison, I don't remember Voyager going down that route with any consistent continuity (then again, different show tonally and different time).

I love any Star Trek show, though TOS and TNG were my personal favourites. Never really got into Deep Space Nine, despite my best friend trying. He also tried to get me into Babylon 5.

I'm happy we're finally going to get a new series but worried like most about how it will be broadcast/accessed. Either way, unlike Enterprise I'd like the next series to be set in the future AFTER TNG. Though part of me would like to see a cameo from a diplomat Picard or Captain Data.

Wasn't there an episode of Enterprise where the Captain time travelled to the future and we saw Enterprise J or something?
Thanks given by:
captveg (01-14-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows