Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
1 day ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$47.02

Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.19
13 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$156.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

View Poll Results: What is Batman: The Animated Series to You?
The greatest animated series of all time 30 38.96%
ONE of the greatest animated series of all time 46 59.74%
It's okay. (Run if you choose this option) 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #41
Banned

Jul 2014

That post is completely wrong about Two-Face. They are supposed to be back to back regardless of the time jump. If they weren't meant to be that way they wouldn't have been called Part 1 and Part 2.

Honestly, the only episode orders that matter are doing the first appearance of each villain and then the Ra's episodes.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

Best Batman adaptation I've ever watched.

That includes any of the Burton or Nolan movies, or any of the animated series or DC Movies.

I watch it as an adult and see things I never paid attention to as a child and wonder how they ever got away with making such a dark series like this.

When this used to come on during Toonami's Peak Hours at 6PM, it felt out of place with all the Japanese Anime, but it still deserved a spot there.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #43

Apr 2010
NoVA
-
-
-

One of my favorite things about the show and MotP is the music. That being so, some of my most cherished cds are the three volumes (so far) of music from the show and the "Expanded Archival Collection" edition of the MotP soundtrack.

Hard believe that Nov. 30th of this year will mark ten years since Shirley Walker passed away.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Banned

Jul 2014

Oh god yeah. The music is just as much a character as everyone else in the show.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMcNiff View Post
One of my favorite things about the show and MotP is the music. That being so, some of my most cherished cds are the three volumes (so far) of music from the show and the "Expanded Archival Collection" edition of the MotP soundtrack.

Hard believe that Nov. 30th of this year will mark ten years since Shirley Walker passed away.
Did you catch the Mondo Vinyl Box set released a couple months ago? I so wanted to get it.
http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/6561...-vinyl-box-set
Old 02-25-2016, 01:51 AM   #46

Apr 2010
NoVA
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
Did you catch the Mondo Vinyl Box set released a couple months ago? I so wanted to get it.
http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/6561...-vinyl-box-set
No, I didn't. I have the three volumes that La-La Land Records put out.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMann View Post
Here is what mine had in detail:
-All words were spelled correctly. Older counterfeit copies were misspelled.
-The book with the artwork was there.
-The slipcover was with it.
-The four volumes were split across two fold style cases. You unfold the cover and there are pages with two discs each. The plastic holders are solid at holding the discs but are held together by two clear patches of tape . Not scotch brand and much bigger.
-each disc read as it should with random disc picks. The only thing that stood out was the 4.3gb capacity. But every disc looked manufactured.
-The video and audio are great. Full screen format and did show DVD grade quality in my pc but looked better upscaled in my bluray player. Menus looked legit too.

As I said it is the best looking counterfeit I have seen. Or it is real.
The discs only being 4.3gb is a dead giveaway as the official releases are dual layered, the bootlegs are compressed to get them to fit on a single layer disc.

I came close to buying one of these fake sets a few years ago but the seller spotted it wasn't genuine before he shipped it to me.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #48

Feb 2016
Switzerland

One of the best animated shows out there, and for me the best Batman animated series!

I did get the collector's edition of the series on eBay a couple of years ago it turned out to be a counterfeit, but at least the price was convenient.

So I'm eagerly awaiting a cool release on blu-ray!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanDog75 View Post
One of the best animated shows out there, and for me the best Batman animated series!

I did get the collector's edition of the series on eBay a couple of years ago it turned out to be a counterfeit, but at least the price was convenient.

I own a counterfeit myself. They play real enough, and the quality's great running in a Blu-Ray player (fullscreen, but who cares?). As a counterfeit, it's pretty well done. No spelling errors on the outside, the internal book looks pretty real...my friends think I was nuts buying it if they're going off of the pricing of the real deal.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanDog75 View Post

I did get the collector's edition of the series on eBay a couple of years ago – it turned out to be a counterfeit, but at least the price was convenient.

Well next year is the show's 25th anniversary, so here's hoping a Blu-ray release will happen for then.
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDilke View Post
Well next year is the show's 25th anniversary, so here's hoping a Blu-ray release will happen for then.
If I recall correctly, the show was originally drawn for standard-def video, so an HD version isn't possible. I suppose they could try recompositing everything, but that would cost lots of money...so there'd have to be a huge audience.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 AM   #52
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #53
Banned

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
If I recall correctly, the show was originally drawn for standard-def video, so an HD version isn't possible. I suppose they could try recompositing everything, but that would cost lots of money...so there'd have to be a huge audience.
They can HD whatever the hell they want if they cared enough.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Not necessarily; many older TV shows (especially from the '80s and '90s) were shot on standard-def videotape. As such, upgrading them to HD can't be done; the resolution's not present in the original film. Animation can be handled much easier, since actual photography's rarely involved...but it still takes lots of time and effort. The main obstacle for this show would be the condition of the original drawings and voice recordings.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post

She is voiced by the same VA that did Dale Arden in the Flash Gordon animation.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not necessarily; many older TV shows (especially from the '80s and '90s) were shot on standard-def videotape. As such, upgrading them to HD can't be done; the resolution's not present in the original film. Animation can be handled much easier, since actual photography's rarely involved...but it still takes lots of time and effort. The main obstacle for this show would be the condition of the original drawings and voice recordings.
They did Batman in a very particular style. When the 00s hit, I think the whole animation industry underwent a big change. Justice League, for example, is the only show I have on Blu-Ray. Meanwhile, I have Batman: TAS with Superman: TAS because they only had DVD versions available. But Justice League does look like it got some cleanup.

Can Batman get an HD cleanup? Not easily. I don't think they started using more modern ways to store content until DVDs came out.

However, Archer is the only animation of late that is pretty negligible with its DVD and Blu quality difference.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #57
Banned

Jul 2014

Quote:
I should have been more precise in what I meant. They can easily upscale it to HD.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
I should have been more precise in what I meant. They can easily upscale it to HD.
Not really; the image would break down just like trying to make a postage stamp into an 8x10. The best way to approach HD quality with animation is to re-scan the original elements, then clean them up and recomposite when needed.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Not really; the image would break down just like trying to make a postage stamp into an 8x10. The best way to approach HD quality with animation is to re-scan the original elements, then clean them up and recomposite when needed.
That is if they still have the original elements to an entirety. This, Static Shock, and Superman are up in the air for an HD upgrade. Justice League wasn't as hard to pull off cause they surely cataloged their whole series for it. But since we were talking the 90s...does anyone still keep tech that can read those original mediums?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMann View Post
That is if they still have the original elements to an entirety. This, Static Shock, and Superman are up in the air for an HD upgrade. Justice League wasn't as hard to pull off cause they surely cataloged their whole series for it. But since we were talking the 90s...does anyone still keep tech that can read those original mediums?
I highly doubt the studios would ditch capable technology, since it would mean never being able to preserve or resurrect their old catalogue again.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Tags
animated, batman, dc comics, discussion, series