Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.96
6 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

Vampire Pink (Blu-ray)
$25.47
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
KY

I've got a question, why was the last season only 6 episodes, was it always supposed to be 6 or did ABC only wanted 6 and not 23 or 24?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 AM   #42
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ To me, whoever decided to pull the show's plug couldn't have been in anymore of a sheer and severe need of a brain transplant.

And now that I have seen the whole show, I finished up the final DVD last night, my big question would be why in the world did Balki continue to put up with Larry's constant cockamamie schemes? I understand Balki's forgiving nature, but what Larry tried to do when being on the baby quiz game show in my opinion should've been the final straw because Balki's child would've been who took the fall if Larry had gotten away with what his intention was. To me, Balki never once should've lifted a finger where the delivery of Larry and Jennifer's child was concerned after what Larry tried to do on that game show. I was so happy to finally see Balki tell off the complete and total sorry excuse for a human being! Larry is a word that I can not say and it would've taken all that I have in me not to smack the crack out of him if I had been in Balki's shoes!!!

God bless you and the beautiful precious gentleman who gave us Balki always!!!

Holly
Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #43

Nov 2011
USA

Canceling the show was all about getting the younger viewers watching TGIF and shows...although I was a teenager at the time and watched it religiously...

they NEED to do a season 9 /reboot and have these two together again on the screen!! Definitely My favorite comedy show!! Nothing like it!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #44
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ Amen to the reboot! I just pray that if one is ever done that it isn't as trashy as most everything else that is on TV these days.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My only question is, would a reboot of this show be able to stick? I ask because if I remember right, the Murphy Brown resurrection has already been axed after one season?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #45

Nov 2009
New York

Another huge fan here, I even did a rant video years ago about shows that were partially released on DVD and never finished. I really can't believe they actually finished it off on DVD, naturally I purchased every season as well

Sidenote, would love Mr. Belvedere to get the final 2 seasons released as well!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
League City, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesOttoSweetHeart View Post
^^^ Amen to the reboot! I just pray that if one is ever done that it isn't as trashy as most everything else that is on TV these days.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My only question is, would a reboot of this show be able to stick? I ask because if I remember right, the Murphy Brown resurrection has already been axed after one season?
Murphy Brown ended, but The Conners (Roseanne) is still going.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #47
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ True, but sadly there may be more failure then there has been success. Fuller House and The Conner's TV show seem to be the only shows that have really stuck and that is if the Conner show continues on long enough. The Girl Meets World show only went for three seasons and I remember reading a few years ago that the show named Coach was supposed to come back but it was eventually shelved and never did make it to the tube.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Old 06-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #48

Jul 2012
Montreal, Canada

Always loved Perfect Strangers. Physical comedy is really hard to do but Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker made it look so easy. Both actors really played well of each other. This clip of them with Bronson "in character" at an awards show always brings a smile to my face.

Thanks given by:
goresnet (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #49
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ I love that! I wonder if Bronson still has them clothes. I love when his character's roots were being shown.

God bless you and the beautiful precious always!!!

Holly

P.S. Is that awards show still going now? According to how the clip was named, that was the very first one.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #50
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ I definitely do not mean to nitpick here because I love the show so much, but I will never see it as an eight season show since what is considered the first and final seasons only went for six episodes each.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Do keep in mind that at the end of the final episode, we hear Balki say to Larry, "When I came to America six years ago, I came looking for my cousin..." Because of that, in my opinion, the show really went for like six and a half seasons. The first and final seasons being six episodes each would be considered the half since full seasons of a show go for around twenty four episodes.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #51
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

It was on this day 35 years ago that Perfect Strangers first debuted on ABC. To me, there is no better show.

God bless you and the cast always!!!

Holly
Old 03-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

I loved Perfect Strangers as a kid, and would love to see a Complete Series release on DVD.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #53

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesOttoSweetHeart View Post
It was on this day 35 years ago that Perfect Strangers first debuted on ABC. To me, there is no better show.

God bless you and the cast always!!!

Holly
My history is a bit different. growing up in the UK, I only remember the first 2 seasons being on BBC1 and it was wildly popular at the time and then it just disappeared and we never really thought about it since.

I barely remembered it until it popped up on Hulu and it was a real nostalgia hit, I was only 10 when I watched it. So I started fresh from the beginning and all the memories flooded back with season 1. I'm now on Season 7 and I can see why it got canned at that point.

Times were moving on and it really felt stuck in the past, by 93 it still felt like an 80's show, and by that point, it was very repetitive. No real character development, Larry was just as stupid and neurotic as he was in the first season. Every week Larry seems like he learns a new lesson but by the following episode, he's back to being the same way. By season 5 it quickly became very tiring. The comedy is weak and gentle compared to what was very quickly coming round the corner with Friends the following year.

Also as a side note, I think Jennifer is a weak artificial 2-Dimensional character played by a very weak actress and was surprised she became the main romantic lead to Larry (I thought her friend was fantastic through and was brilliant in the Black Widow episode) I honestly thought and felt it would have been better if the lady that appears right at the beginning of episode 1 of the first season Susan Campbell (Lise Cutter) became the main love interest. Not only she was far more naturally beautiful but every time she was on screen she felt like a real person with a great personality.

And lastly, I'm absolutely stunned that Bronson Pinchot didn't have a bigger career when Perfect Strangers finished, he was an amazing physical actor and extremely funny, he basically carried the show. He should have had a few big film roles

Last edited by SilverFox84; 04-11-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #54
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

^^^ The more that I learn about Bronson, the more that I am starting to wonder if a bigger career was even his intention if such a thing can even be measured in his opinion. Some people don't consider one thing to be bigger compared to another. At the end of the day, each character may be just another role for him. Bronson isn't like everyone else in the Hollywood picture and I believe that his humble upbringing is a big reason why.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. I love him so much.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows