Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Babylon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.59
34 min ago
Hajime No Ippo the Fighting! Fighting Spirit Collection 02 (Blu-ray)
$42.49
13 hrs ago
B: The Beginning: Season One (Blu-ray)
$73.49
13 hrs ago
Vampire Pink (Blu-ray)
$25.47
22 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default TNT's Snowpiercer

TNT has order tv pilot based on 2013 movie:

Quote:
TNT Orders ‘Snowpiercer’ Pilot Based On Movie From Tomorrow Studios

TNT has given a pilot order to Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon-ho that starred Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton and Song Kang-ho. The pilot will be co-produced by Tomorrow Studios — Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios — and Turner’s Studio T.

Tomorrow Studios optioned the rights to Snowpiercer last year, tapping Josh Friedman, who has extensive futuristic/sci-fi credentials, to write the series adaptation. Friedman previously created the Fox series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, also based on a movie franchise, and has written/co-written such movies as War of the Worlds and some of the Avatar sequels.

Snowpiercer is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. The show questions class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival. In addition to producing a pilot, the project is getting backup scripts written.

Friedman serves as writer, executive producer and showrunner. Also executive producing the pilot are Tomorrow Studios’ Adelstein (Aquarius, Prison Break, Teen Wolf, Last Man Standing) and Becky Clements (Aquarius, Last Man Standing); the original film’s Bong Joon-ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi; and CJ Entertainment, which distributed the South Korean movie based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand and Jean-Marc Rochette.
TNT logo
TNT

“Snowpiercer has one of the most original concepts to hit the screen in the last decade, and it’s one that offers numerous opportunities for deeper exploration in a series format,” said Sarah Aubrey, EVP Original Programming at TNT. “We look forward to expanding TNT’s relationship with Tomorrow Studios and their take on a world where humanity is pushed to the extreme.”

Snowpiercer marks TNT’s third pilot from Tomorrow Studios’ Adelstein and Clements. TNT previously ordered Good Behavior, starring Michelle Dockery, which went to series that debuted this month, and last month TNT picked up a pilot for the vampire thriller Let the Right One In, based on the bestselling novel by Swedish author John Ajvide, which is also a co-production between Studio T and Tomorrow Studios.

“TNT has become a great producing partner to Tomorrow Studios, and we are excited to continue our relationship with them on Snowpiercer, for which we not only have a pilot but are writing multiple scripts,” said Adelstein, CEO of Tomorrow Studios. “This is an incredibly powerful story and one for which finding the perfect home was imperative to its success.”

The Snowpiercer movie, shot in English and Korean, was well received by critics. It grossed $87 million on a $40 million budget. Here is a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5PwfEMBM0
Old 11-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
Banned

Aug 2015
Thanos Cock

May be interesting to see how they expand on the different classes of people and their day to day lives on the train. I enjoyed the film a lot so I'll check this out.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Cool maybe the ending won't suck this time!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Great news. Terrible channel.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

snowpiercer was one of those movies that me and the wife just picked to watch one night and knew nothing about it . and actually quite enjoyed it .... i love when movies surprise me like that and are enjoyable without having big fanfair .... id be curious to see how a weekly show would be done ..
Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Seems like a less than ideal movie to base a show on and I don't trust TNT with it

Last edited by Naiera; 11-22-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015

Absolutely love the movie so color me intrigued.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

I personally thought the movie was bad, so I won't be watching it... but I wonder what made them want to develop this. I would think it'd be hard to stretch a movie about living on a train because the world basically ended into more than just a miniseries, movies with endings don't make the best TV shows where it has to continue week to week, possibly for years.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
I personally thought the movie was bad, so I won't be watching it... but I wonder what made them want to develop this. I would think it'd be hard to stretch a movie about living on a train because the world basically ended into more than just a miniseries, movies with endings don't make the best TV shows where it has to continue week to week, possibly for years.
The easiest bet would just be changing the ending into something not completely stupid.
[Show spoiler]Instead of blowing up the train and wiping out humanity, they could have Curtis actually step into the conductors seat and try and change the way it works.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Jul 2014
Sweden

The movie was awesome so I will be checking this out.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Update:

Quote:
Hamilton star Daveed Diggs to lead Snowpiercer show

TNT announced Wednesday that the Tony-winning Hamilton star will lead the network’s adaptation of Bong Joon Ho’s original film, which starred Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Tilda Swinton, and Octavia Spencer. Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange) will direct the show’s pilot and act as an executive producer along with writer and showrunner Josh Friedman (Avatar 4, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf), and Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Last Man Standing). Joon Ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun, and Dooho Choi are also executive producers.

Set seven years after an apocalyptic ice age leaves Earth as a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer will focus on the survivors who “inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe,” per a press release. Diggs will play Layton Well, “a prisoner barely surviving the harsh conditions in the tail end of the train. A quiet thinker who spends his days sniffing the industrial-waste-turned-drug Chronole and tending to his cage full of rats, Layton becomes a reluctant participant in a struggle that could upend life on the train.”

Diggs originated the roles of Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton and won a Tony award for his efforts. The actor has been on a hot streak since then, appearing on Netflix’s The Get Down and ABC’s Black-ish, among other projects. He’ll also costar in episodes of Netflix’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (out Friday).
Old 06-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Casting update:

Jennifer Connelly Joins Daveed Diggs in TNT's 'Snowpiercer'

Jennifer Connelly is headed for cable.

The Oscar winner for A Beautiful Mind has been cast as the female lead in TNT's adaptation of feature film Snowpiercer.

Based on the 2013 film starring Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer is described as a futuristic thriller set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival are questioned in this riveting television adaptation.

Connelly will take on the role of Melanie Cavill, a first class passenger who works as the Voice of the Train — responsible for making the daily announcements over its PA system. Although many in her VIP position are dismissive of the lower class passengers, Melanie is curiously fascinated by them. The original film was set in a post-apocalyptic Ice Age where the only remaining life on the planet survives aboard a train that travels around the globe.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Didn't like the movie (it's just like every other class warfare sci-fi released during this time) but will watch for Connelly (who had shown interest in a TV project for some time).

And I'm guessing the series will go the Fargo route (or if you want to use a TNT example, Animal Kingdom) and simply use the name and situations.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Another casting update:

Quote:
‘Snowpiercer’: Mickey Sumner To Star In TNT Pilot Based On Movie

Mickey Sumner (Frances Ha) has landed a lead opposite Jennifer Connelly and Daveed Diggs in TNT’s pilot Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon-ho.

The hourlong drama pilot, directed by Doctor Strange helmer Scott Derrickson, is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. It explores class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival.

Sumner will play Bess Till. Thoughtful, empathetic and savvy, Bess is a brakeman, part of the train’s security force. She finds herself at the center of a mystery that rocks the train’s uneasy status quo. Connelly plays Melanie Cavill, a First Class passenger who works as the Voice of the Train; Diggs plays Layton Well, a prisoner who becomes a reluctant participant in a struggle that could upend life on the train.

Snowpiercer, a co-production between Marty Adelstein/ITV Studios’ Tomorrow Studios, Turner’s Studio T and CJ Entertainment, is executive-produced by writer-showrunner Josh Friedman; director Derrickson; Tomorrow Studios’ Adelstein and Becky Clements; and the original film’s Bong Joon Ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.

Sumner, probably best known for her role in Noah Baumbach’s film Frances Ha, will next be seen in the upcoming Dayton-Faris Fox Searchlight film Battle of The Sexes, Doug Liman’s American Made, and the British horror film Caught. In TV, Sumner had recurring roles on AMC’s series Low Winter Sun, and on Showtime’s series The Borgias. She is repped by UTA, Sue Leibman/Barking Dog Entertainment, and Peikoff-Mahan Law Offices.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

Could work but not liking the channel should be on one of the pay channels instead could get away with more.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

If it follows the movie it won't be on a train at all since it wrecked.

If its based on the movie, we know all the answers we need to know so I don't see how it would work. Would like to see what happened after the polar bear scene.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Land Of Lincoln, USA

I hated the movie. Will pass on the show.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

New Info:

Quote:
Snowpiercer TV Series to Contain an Ongoing Mystery Element

TNT's Snowpiercer series -- which is currently in development/pilot stages, and comes to us from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles creator Josh Friedman and Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson -- will contain an ongoing mystery for the first season said TNT/TBS president Kevin Reilly.

Starring Daveed Diggs and Jennifer Connelly, Snowpiercer will be akin to a "space ship show," Reilly told those in attendance at the Television Critics Association press tour. "It's a contained environment with a wide swath go characters stuck together in an intense environment in a game of survival. It makes for unbelievable character drama."

A tweet from Friedman, back before the show landed on TNT...

Re #Snowpiercer let me reassure you a thousand times over it will not be a network show. We don't know where it will be yet, but not..there.

— josh friedman (@Josh_Friedman) November 11, 2015

"It will have an epic feel," Reilly said of the graphic novel adaptation (which was also famously a Bong Joon-ho movie starring Chris Evans), "because it is a heightened, larger-than-life concept. But it is really an internal potboiler of character dynamics and there will be an ongoing mystery to the first season. Jennifer Connelly, who has really made her mark for choosing great character roles, wouldn't have just come here [joined the show] if it was just a crash bang-em-up. It was because the characters are really really vibrant, that Josh Friedman created for the series."
Old 07-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
If it follows the movie it won't be on a train at all since it wrecked.

If its based on the movie, we know all the answers we need to know so I don't see how it would work. Would like to see what happened after the polar bear scene.
[Show spoiler]Nothing. Everyone died. The two survivors were a drug addict and a young child. Humanity is dead.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Casting update:

Quote:
‘Snowpiercer’: Susan Park Cast In TNT Drama Pilot

Vice Principals‘ Susan Park is set as a series regular opposite Daveed Diggs and Jennifer Connelly in TNT’s pilot Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon-ho.

The hourlong drama pilot, directed by Doctor Strange helmer Scott Derrickson, is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. It explores class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival.

Park will play Jinju, the finest chef at the train’s finest restaurant, and a member of the train’s elite.

Park recently wrapped shooting a lead role in feature William, directed by Tim Disney, and can next be seen on Season 2 of HBO’s Vice Principals in the role of Christine. She also has been cast in the upcoming Brie Larson comedy Unicorn Store. Park is repped by Innovative Artists and Anonymous Content.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows