Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$16.69
3 hrs ago
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray)
$16.49
12 hrs ago
Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$27.99

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$73.11

Super 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$42.95
2 hrs ago
Rawhead Rex (Blu-ray)
$24.35

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2015
Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrchrest View Post
I haven't opened any of the few that I own. But that leaves me with no way to get the Ultraviolet codes. There needs to be some way of redeeming them without opening the box.
I've always thought this. If you preorder they should email you a code. If you don't preorder, if you use your best buy membership at checkout it should register to send you a code through email as well
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
Power Member

Feb 2015
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrchrest View Post
I haven't opened any of the few that I own. But that leaves me with no way to get the Ultraviolet codes. There needs to be some way of redeeming them without opening the box.
I agree. I wish the movies all came with an online redemption option, sort of like Wal-Mart's Instawatch.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Ol' Harlem, Not New Harlem

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I love when Best Buy give a free digital copy so I don't have to have to open the steel (Mad Max, Sing & a couple of Hobbit movies come to mind)

Also, I don't open my steelbooks if there's an accompanying digibook (Suicide Squad, Moana, TDKR) which is weird because I value digibooks more than steelbooks.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #24

Oct 2016

To you collectors who open them, thank you!

It helps the rarity of the factory sealed blue rays. The more that are opened, the rarer/more value they have, generally speaking of course..

I collect comics, Star Wars, 4 Horsemen, Neca, Hot Wheels etc..Virtually everything

Is factory sealed....

Wouldn't a house fire suck major ass????
Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 AM   #25

Oct 2012

Of my 300+ SteelBooks, most are opened. The ones that aren't were acquired after already having a standard release or digital copy. Re-sale value is not a consideration for me, but I do use plastic cases to protect them from damage whether opened or not.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:28 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

I'm keeping The Sting sealed since I own two copies. Haven't opened my Age Of Ultron yet though.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:19 AM   #27

Dec 2015

I open them all. Have to inspect for damage and remove those glue globules that leech an oil stain onto the J card and the steelbook.

I'll add that my collection of battery powered Star Trek toys were all opened to extract the cheap batteries before they leaked.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #28

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchosias View Post
To you collectors who open them, thank you!

It helps the rarity of the factory sealed blue rays. The more that are opened, the rarer/more value they have, generally speaking of course..

I collect comics, Star Wars, 4 Horsemen, Neca, Hot Wheels etc..Virtually everything

Is factory sealed....

Wouldn't a house fire suck major ass????
It's only as valuable as someone is willing to pay. Doesn't mean it's worth more. And in that case don't say you are a collector. Sounds more like a speculator who doesn't enjoy what they buy.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

I open them all since I buy movies to watch them.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #30

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutality View Post
It's only as valuable as someone is willing to pay. Doesn't mean it's worth more. And in that case don't say you are a collector. Sounds more like a speculator who doesn't enjoy what they buy.
If 'enjoying what I buy' is taking it out and playing with it, then yes, for the most part I dont. I stopped that when I grew up.....

If there's a movie I wish to own and view, i'll simply purchase another regular blu ray or 4k and watch that. I have dozens and dozens of movies exactly like that.

These days, having a crap load of extra cash after expenses is a great thing.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #31
Power Member

Feb 2015
Texas

Quote:
If 'enjoying what I buy' is taking it out and playing with it, then yes, for the most part I dont. I stopped that when I grew up.....

If there's a movie I wish to own and view, i'll simply purchase another regular blu ray or 4k and watch that. I have dozens and dozens of movies exactly like that.

These days, having a crap load of extra cash after expenses is a great thing.
Just curious, though, not trying to start a debate, but if you buy a steelbook for collecting purposes, and with the intent of never opening it, is it really enjoyable and worth the investment to only view the front cover? Steelbooks usually have the back covered with a j-card, and you can never open and view the artwork on the inside, so the only enjoyable part would be the front cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWatching View Post
I open them all. Have to inspect for damage and remove those glue globules that leech an oil stain onto the J card and the steelbook.
That's what I had to end up doing. I had too many steelbooks with blade cuts and small dents that I never knew were there until I opened up the package. I'm quite surprised at how large of a percentage of steelbooks I had that were damaged in some way. A few arrived damaged that I could easily tell without opening the steelbook, but a large % were damaged that was only noticeable when removing the plastic and j-card.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #32

Jan 2015
DFW, Texas

I open them. Movies are made to be watched.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #33

Dec 2015
Toronto, Canada

Recently I started collecting a couple Manta Lab and Nova Media. All of them are still sealed, since I'm still undecided about them.
For everything else I open them up and place them in SC3 Steelbook covers to protect them from damage and scratches over time.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #34
Banned

Apr 2015

Packaging is a nice extra, nothing more. It's the movie inside that counts and I'm not going to double dip so I can have two of the same discs. Are the crazies here aware that there are protective plastic sleeves available to put your steels in?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #35
Expert Member

Apr 2015
Columbus, GA, USA

I was one of those that wanted everything sealed up until recently. Had a change of heart, and had a hella good time opening everything! Now I plan on opening every edition I buy... Glorified shelf dust collectors if you just keep them sealed. I realized I had thousands of dollars of blu's on my shelf just sitting there (some for a couple years even), might as well open and enjoy them.
Thanks given by:
BMill (08-07-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #36

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombilina View Post
I was one of those that wanted everything sealed up until recently. Had a change of heart, and had a hella good time opening everything! Now I plan on opening every edition I buy... Glorified shelf dust collectors if you just keep them sealed. I realized I had thousands of dollars of blu's on my shelf just sitting there (some for a couple years even), might as well open and enjoy them.
My god, that sounds like a horror story...An absolute horror story lol...

I purchase not only the steelbook and keep it factory sealed, i purchase the blu ray as well to watch...

Some day I'll sell all the sealed steel's and make a crap load of cash...So to 'enjoy' them, I don't need to open them. I'll enjoy the hell out of the cash after I sell them for top dollar.........

But to open them after all that time? To me, thats a waste..An absolute waste of time/money...
Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
My god, that sounds like a horror story...An absolute horror story lol...

I purchase not only the steelbook and keep it factory sealed, i purchase the blu ray as well to watch...

Some day I'll sell all the sealed steel's and make a crap load of cash...So to 'enjoy' them, I don't need to open them. I'll enjoy the hell out of the cash after I sell them for top dollar.........

But to open them after all that time? To me, thats a waste..An absolute waste of time/money...
I open all of mine.

No point hoarding them and hoping they will sell for a few quid more
Old 11-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #38

Nov 2017

Open the retail versions. Keep the premiums sealed.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #39

Apr 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I have opened all of mine. Note very single one has interior art, but the aesthetic of them is far more pleasing with the cellophane off.
Thanks given by:
dannalexcon (12-20-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #40

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledjawa View Post
I open them. Movies are made to be watched.
This. By the time I will be ready to part with them, even sealed they would be pretty much worthless.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries