Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$13.00
13 hrs ago
Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99
20 min ago
The Father (DVD)
$14.99
40 min ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96

Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Somewhere else now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Unfortunately, no disk drive, no computer.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:19 AM   #22

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Anyone watched some of the HD machine learning videos of Voyager or DS9? I watched a couple on my projector and would be fairly happy with the film portions of those series remastered and the special effect that are on video just upgraded using machine learning. Yes, I would buy those BDs. https://nerdist.com/article/star-tre...ng-voyager-hd/. Seems like a decent compromise since a full scale TNG type restoration isn't happening.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #23

Jan 2013
Lansing KS

I've seen a couple three of the DS9 machine learning videos (maybe a couple VOY too), and I've been impressed with them. The machine learning seems to be a genuinely better upscaling method that the one[s] typically used.

Provided CBS (assuming they still control Trek and not Paramount if ever such upscales happen) is upfront about it being a machine learning upscale, I'd likely buy the BDs as well.

These shows really do need at least HD era masters going forwards, especially if 8K televisions become the dominate TVs on the market. An SD source is bound to look awful blurry on an 8K television even with the typical upscaling used in TVs and BD players.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #24
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVinyl View Post
Anyone watched some of the HD machine learning videos of Voyager or DS9? I watched a couple on my projector and would be fairly happy with the film portions of those series remastered and the special effect that are on video just upgraded using machine learning. Yes, I would buy those BDs.
I haven't watched any of those... I will say however that with WB completing its surprise remaster of Babylon 5 (and we got seaQuest on Blu-ray before that) - and with the original Mission Impossible getting a Blu-ray set as well (I haven't checked it out) - anything seems possible. I would have imagined both DS9 and Voyager getting remasters before any of those shows.

The reason I mention specifically Babylon 5 and seaQuest is that they are both DS9/Voyager era shows, and their remasters had two very different methods based on the source material:

With Babylon 5, apparently they did new 4K scans of all the film elements, while the CGI (both space scenes as well as digital set extensions) and, unfortunately, composite video editing (any CG scene that fades into a live action scene) and effects (PPG fire, etc) are upscaled. Sadly, the upscaling looks pretty bad to me, notably the space scenes, which have a weird smoothed look to them, when they should look crisp. I don't imagine they used any type of AI / machine learning methods.

seaQuest to me is the perfect example, luckily the show had been output to film, including the CGI. So while the CGI is of course "primitive" as early television CGI (just like B5), being scanned from the film output means that it's not upscaled or otherwise messed with in order to create the Blu-rays, it is perfectly preserved just like any early CGI movie (Jurassic Park, etc) and looks great, really the ideal way for an old show to be preserved.

(Yes, I know that Jurassic Park is actually relatively late film CGI, it's just a good obvious example.)
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 AM   #25

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Hero View Post
These shows really do need at least HD era masters going forwards, especially if 8K televisions become the dominate TVs on the market. An SD source is bound to look awful blurry on an 8K television even with the typical upscaling used in TVs and BD players.
I would love an HD master, I just never hear about the costs of redoing the effects being economically feasible. But that would be great if it could happen.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #26
Expert Member

Oct 2010

I'd be afraid that if they took the AI upscaled approach that someone might decide that it is good enough and leave it at that. There is no way they will abandon a Star Trek series completely. I'd rather they wait until the costs to redo the CGI go down and they do it right.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 AM   #27

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
I'd be afraid that if they took the AI upscaled approach that someone might decide that it is good enough and leave it at that. There is no way they will abandon a Star Trek series completely. I'd rather they wait until the costs to redo the CGI go down and they do it right.
I wonder how much just this cost?
Thanks given by:
synthemesc (03-09-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Tags
janeway, star trek, star trek voyager, voyager