Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45
1 day ago
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016
Default Homicide: Life on the Street full series reissue from Shout

Shout has announced a reissue of "Homicide: Life on the Street" on July 4:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/crim...omplete-series

They describe it as a 35 disc set -- previous releases of the set had two variations. Individual seasons amounted to 34 discs, with a separate stand-alone disc for "Homicide: The Movie"; when they were collected into one package, the 35th bonus disc was "Homicide: The Movie" but also the three crossover episodes of "Law and Order". (Overseas full series releases were just 34-disc sets, I believe.) Shout has not announced specific bonus features yet, I would assume they're still negotiating to try and include the Law & Order eps. I don't expect any new bonus features, but hopefully they'll keep all of the old ones.

This is probably the best cop show that network TV ever produced, and if you are a fan of "The Wire" you should consider it a must-see.
Thanks given by:
BluMonday (04-12-2017), Thorbiddles (03-08-2021)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

I have the AE set where the SVU episodes are included. There is nothing new included on this reissue.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Nov 2011

One of my favorite TV series ever. I already own the A&E set though and they aren't remastering it so... Would love to see this on streaming somewhere so it's rescued from obscurity. This was part of my one-two punch viewing on Friday nights along with The X-Files.
Thanks given by:
thatguamguy (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
There is nothing new included on this reissue.
Sorry if I got your hopes up, I'm just excited that it's finally available again, it's been out of print for probably a decade at this point and hasn't even been on cable in years, to my knowledge. (And when it was, it was airing at 5AM or somesuch.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonday View Post
Would love to see this on streaming somewhere so it's rescued from obscurity.
Streaming services are starting to push more and more for everything to be at least 720; there's going to be a lot of great TV shows that were released on DVD which will either never stream or will be dropped from streaming, simply because it's not financially viable to create HD versions. Unfortunately, shows like this, which were long-running but never big hits, are going to be hit the hardest -- it's a lot easier to prep the HD for a show that lasted one or two seasons; this one had 5 full-length network seasons plus another half season's worth of episodes besides.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #5

Dec 2016
Royal Palm Beach

I love this show.
Already own all the A&E sets, but I pre-ordered this anyway.
I grew up on Homicide.
I wish it was blu, but it's nice to see that it is back.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Confirmed that the set will include the bonus disc with the 3 "Law and Order" episodes and "Homicide: The Movie". I believe that the commentaries and retrospectives listed here are exactly what was on the previous discs, so that's good news:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/crim...omplete-series
Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

May 2014
Florida

No captions, no subtitles. I won't be buying this set.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have got the separate A & E season sets, but not Homicide: The Movie.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Great show
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I recently started re-watching Homicide: Life on the Street on this Shout re-released set. I had previously seen the entire series on the older A & E sets. Re: the PQ, etc. there doesn't seem to be any difference between these newer sets and the older ones. I'm currently on the third season, and this show is even better than I remember it being when I first viewed this back in 2010. Seeing this a second time makes me appreciate this much more & I'm noticing elements that I missed the first time around, etc

I will also say that, even though I'm obviously a Blu/HD aficionado, in the case of H: LOTS I'm perfectly OK with the PQ on these sets; the show was intended to be a gritty documentary-like drama, and if the PQ were improved it may almost look TOO good.

I was completely blown away by H: LOTS. Superb characterization, great acting and plots, and I loved the documentary-style filming. i.e. the hand-held camera - very innovative & edgy; and, this came out years before "Blair Witch Project"! I grew up in the Baltimore MD, area and went to college there in the '90's. So, this show really rang true - especially since it both took place & was filmed in Baltimore - very authentic.

Here's a review of the entire series that I posted years ago; it's worth re-posting here. Note I am sensitive to the fact that many haven't seen the entire series yet, so I am using SPOILER tags when appropriate:

Homicide- LOTS: The Series Seasons 1-7, 1993-1999):

- This is one of those rare shows that starts off strong and kept up the momentum throughout the series. Though the first season was short (I think it was first broadcast in January of '93 and there weren't many episodes in this season), it was still amazing. The interrogation scene with Pembleton and Bayliss re: the guy they suspected for the Adena Watson m. was extremely powerful & disturbing.

- The characters on this show were some of the most fully realized characters I've ever seen in a TV drama. The dialogue/philosophical discussions the characters would have with each other had a lot to do with this, i.e. Munch with other detectives, Pembleton & Bayliss, etc.

-
[Show spoiler]I was shocked when Crosetti and later Felton passed away - I did not see either one coming.

- The episode where Munch & Kellerman investigated the death of a woman that Munch had a crush on years before (in high school) was very moving - the flash-backs were especially impressive, and gave some insight into the Munch character.

- The last episode
[Show spoiler](or next to the last episode) of Season 5 when Kellerman shot Luther Mahoney in cold blood was shocking and unexpected. This had repercussions that lasted throughout Season 6, and was one of the better & more suspenseful plot points in the series.

- The scene when
[Show spoiler]Pembeleton had the stroke while questioning a suspect was truly shocking to me - even though I saw the show years after it came out, I intentionally stayed away from reading about plot points of the show since I wanted my viewing experience to be completely fresh.

- The episode when the young detective (Falsone) had to partner with the older, retired curmudeonly detective to solve the 55-60 year old m. case was great, and quite funny at times.

- Though Gharty was portrayed as a somewhat unsympathetic character early in the series, the episode in Season 7 where he and Much were arguing about Vietnman & the final scene when you found out what happened to Gharty in Vietnam was very powerful - this was also one of the best episodes in the series, IMHO.

- Irrespective of the show's plot/characters, it's a great time-capsule of the '90's; there are topical references made to '90's events, and the soundtrack includes a lot of amazing '90's artists, including Counting Crows, Joan Osbourne, Matthew Sweet, Belly, Goo Goo Dolls, and Garbage (to name a few).

Homicide: The Movie (Made for TV Movie, 2000):

From a DVD stand-point, it's interesting that the DVD of Homicide: The Movie was available on DVD before the DVD's of the actual series - makes perfect sense, since DVD's of TV shows weren't popular in the earlier part of the 2000's, but is interesting none-the-less.

- Though this came out almost a year after the show ended,
[Show spoiler]it was a brilliant swan song to the series. The beginning scene with the unexpected death. of Giardello was very disturbing, but I liked how this brought all of the show's characters together (even if they hadn't been on the show at the end) to look for the perpetrator. The ending scene with the ghost?! of Giardello in the squad room with the ghosts of Felton and Crosetti was extremely unexpected, but very well-done. The song by the Smashing Pumpkins (from the Adore album) that went over this scene was perfect.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 10-26-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dre (08-29-2018)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2011
LOS ANGELES, CA.

The best cop show of the 90's period! Got the File cabinet edition, still got my homicide T-shirts, and Coffee mug, autographed program from Cast Q&A at Writers guild.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dre (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Though it's taken me almost a year, I am slowly finishing up my re-watch of H: LOTS. I just finished watching S06.

I know a lot of fans may disagree with me about this, but after seeing this a second time around - I find this series the best TV crime drama of all time, hands down. So, yes - I find this superior to The Wire, NYPD Blue, etc. The series was very innovative, even by today's standards:

-The documentary style, hand-held camera used to film the show (at least it seems like that's what was used).

-The show successfully blended numerous stand-alone episodes, as well as themes that carried over from one show to another - and one season to another; i.e.:

The death of Luther Mahoney near the end of S05; the repercussions of this carried over into S06.

The deaths of Crosetti & Felton we referred to in later seasons, and obviously continued to bother the other detectives long after these events occurred.

-Very flawed but interesting characters, i.e. John Munch, Mike Kellerman, Frank Pembleton, Julianna Cox, Tim Bayliss, etc.

-The crimes/criminals that are investigated in this series are in many cases pathetic & sad. I.e., instead of being cookie-cutter evil characters, you really feel sorry for many of these people - while still agreeing that they need to be punished.

-Office/Departmental politics are very much in play on this series. Very realistic.

S06 is especially very fresh in my mind, and is definitely one of the best seasons:

-One of the few humorous S06 episodes was Shaggy Dog, City Goat. This involved Dr. Julianna Cox (the ME) at a conference, discussing a strange case that involved someone jumping off of a roof, but also being unintentionally shot at the same time. A similar incident was referenced in one of my favorite '90's films, Magnolia (1999). This is apparently an infamous urban legend - LOL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Opus

-The episode where Dr. Cox
[Show spoiler]refused to lie on a report by stating that a car accident victim was under the influence of alcohol; this resulted in the state having to pay a huge sum of $ to the victim(s). As a result of Dr. Cox taking this stand, she ended up getting fired. Very realistic to end the episode this way.

-The next to last episode of S06 where Junior Bunk
[Show spoiler]suddenly shot up the police station & killed several people (before being killed himself) was shocking, even the second time around. Very horrible & unexpected.

My only complaint about this show had nothing to do with the characters or storyline - but rather the change in opening credits/theme: I.e., in Seasons 1-4 (or 5, can't remember exactly), the opening theme was this amazing black & white montage. However, from Seasons 5 (or 6) on the opening credits/theme were completely changed to be a much more generic, color opening that showed the various stars, with some neon/flashing lights in the background - very unimpressive & bland. I completely understand that as the show got more popular they probably wanted to change the theme to be less "arty", but as far as I'm concerned the original theme worked perfectly - and shouldn't have been modified.

In any case, looking forward to finishing up the series with S07 & Homicide: The Movie (2000).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 10-24-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dre (08-29-2018), thatguamguy (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I know a lot of fans may disagree with me about this, but after seeing this a second time around - I find this series the best TV crime drama of all time, hands down. So, yes - I find this superior to The Wire, NYPD Blue, etc.
As a fan of "The Wire", I enjoyed re-watching "Homicide" and seeing various seeds of "The Wire". The Mahoney family was clearly based on the same family that inspired the Barksdales, there are a lot of similar characters (because the police in "The Wire" were inspired by people Simon met while researching "Homicide"), and a lot of the Baltimore actors pop up throughout the series. The guy who played Odell Watkins pops up constantly as a background extra, and you can hear the woman who was the principal doing a lot of ADR too.

I don't like to compare it to "The Wire"; I think network TV and HBO-style storytelling are two very different things, and each of the shows is the best of their own style. I will say, these days I appreciate shows where you can just throw on a random individual episode, which is a lot harder to do with "The Wire".

As much as I love Andre Braugher, I really enjoy the episodes where Frank only gets a small subplot, like his stuff in "Crosetti", or the Robin Williams one, where I think his only scene is with Melissa Leo, telling her "I envy you that you can still actually care about why." If you are a fan of his, I hope you caught the episode of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" earlier this year with Sterling K. Brown in the interrogation room. It's basically an episode-length tribute to "Homicide".

Last edited by thatguamguy; 08-29-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I don't like to compare it to "The Wire"; I think network TV and HBO-style storytelling are two very different things, and each of the shows is the best of their own style. I will say, these days I appreciate shows where you can just throw on a random individual episode, which is a lot harder to do with "The Wire".
Yes, I completely agree that TW & H:LOTS are two completely different types of shows, despite the common Baltimore setting & crime drama elements.

However, while I give the highest accolades to TW from all standpoints (acting, story, setting, editing, etc.), each season has an intentional theme running throughout, and there are no real stand-alone episodes. That was obviously the whole point of the series & was completely intentional. The series obviously also had a much higher budget than H:LOTS, which was a network TV series.

That being said, I find H:LOTS a much more complex show - i.e., it successfully blended numerous stand-alone episodes with other storylines that ran throughout the seasons. And, sometimes there were characters from some of these seeming stand-alone episodes that would recur in later episodes/seasons.

Also, the documentary-style element present here gives the series a much more "in your face" tone/vibe than TW - but, maybe that's just me.

I will also admit being biased towards H:LOTS. I grew up in the Baltimore, MD area back in the '80's & stayed there to go to college through the mid '90's. I left the area after college & haven't lived there since. So, watching the show was very nostalgic - since I remember that time period & setting extremely well. I literally feel like I'm back in the area & in that era when watching the show to a great extent....amazing that a show can really transport you back to a specific time & place, but this series does that extremely well - at least for me.

Quote:
As much as I love Andre Braugher, I really enjoy the episodes where Frank only gets a small subplot, like his stuff in "Crosetti", or the Robin Williams one, where I think his only scene is with Melissa Leo, telling her "I envy you that you can still actually care about why." If you are a fan of his, I hope you caught the episode of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" earlier this year with Sterling K. Brown in the interrogation room. It's basically an episode-length tribute to "Homicide".
Haven't seen this episode or the series, but will look for this - Thanks for the heads-up here.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-29-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Huge fan of the original opening theme to the series - simplistic, but also very powerful & iconic. Amazing black & white montage showing a smoking cigarette in an ashtray & styrofoam coffee cup on a desk; a vicious dog near a back alley; Baltimore row houses, a sign advertising crab cakes (Baltimore is known for it's seafood) etc. The music/sound effects here were also stellar. This really encapsulated the show, time period, and Baltimore area to a great extent & to me was one of the best opening themes for a TV series....and quite possibly the best opening theme for a TV crime drama, period.

https://www.artofthetitle.com/title/...on-the-street/

Also very impressed by the Crosetti funeral procession scene. When I saw that for the first time, I could understand Frank Pembleton's reluctance to go to the funeral because he had personal/religious issue against suicide (since Crosetti had almost certainly killed himself) - despite the fact that not attending was going against the solidarity in the department, and was considered disrespectful by all the other detectives. However, when the procession eventually passed the police station, there was Pembleton in his dress blues standing alone - and saluting as the funeral went by. Wow - powerful stuff here. Pembleton had obviously decided to honor Crosetti's memory in his own way, and you also got the impression that this was what he had intended to do all along. Brilliant writing.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-02-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:06 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

I thought Frank was reluctant to go to the church because it was in the middle of his "lost faith" arc. (I mean, to an extent that was his arc for the whole show, but especially around then, because it happened right after the "white glove" murders involving nuns, or somesuch.)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
I thought Frank was reluctant to go to the church because it was in the middle of his "lost faith" arc. (I mean, to an extent that was his arc for the whole show, but especially around then, because it happened right after the "white glove" murders involving nuns, or somesuch.)
Makes sense. And, I've removed the spoiler tags from my last post. The show aired over 20+ years ago, so I figured these aren't needed at this point.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Finally finished my re-watch of the H: LOTS series with Season 7 (1998-1999) and Homicide: the Movie (TV movie, 2000). Incredible.

Though some may find S07 a "lesser" season due to the loss of Frank Pembleton (who left at the end of S06), I don't agree. In fact, I find S07 to be one of the strongest seasons. Unlike other shows which may have suffered after losing 1-2 particularly strong cast members, I felt that H: LOTS was an ensemble series first and foremost, and it's strength lay in the variety of characters, not one single person(s).

In fact, S07 introduced Renee Sheppard, who is one of my favorite characters on the series. She was a very complex/complicated character who experienced trauma after an attack (like most of the other officers on the show) and emerged stronger for the experience.

This season also featured some of the best episodes of the entire series:

Kellerman, P.I. - Parts I-II: These episodes involved the now-P.I. Mike Kellerman working on behalf of a family whose underage daughter
[Show spoiler]had strangled her just-born son, but claimed that her boyfriend had actually done this.
These episodes further illustrated the disparity between how rich & poor are treated by the CJS - i.e., if you have $ you can hire expensive lawyers & other people who will work on your behalf. However, if you're poor you don't have these options.

Identity Crisis: Falsone & Lewis investigate the death of a man who was killed in his backyard - while in the middle of barbecuing. They investigate some of the neighbors, and come across a couple that Falsone suspects of being in the witness protection program.

Bones of Contention: Much & Lewis investigate a cold case, after the bones of a woman are found on construction site. As it turned out, the woman died in the '80's - and was involved in a robbery. Great investigative work here.

Side-note: I noticed that the intro. theme in S07 was truncated, re: what was seen in S05-S06. I guess they wanted 1-2 more minutes for commercials - LOL.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

No love for "Lines of Fire"? It's well-worn territory, but Esposito really nails it.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Several other interesting points about the show:

-It's worth noting that the first & second seasons (that aired in early 1993 & early 1994, respectively) were not full seasons; they only ran a handful of episodes each (though S01 was longer than S02, for some reason). It was only from S03-on (1994-1995) that the show ran an entire regular season, i.e. 20-22 episodes each.

-Though I didn't see the show on TV when it first aired, on both the A&E & Shout! Factory DVD sets they do mention that some of the episodes were aired out of chronological order when the series first came out. However, apparently they were put back into the order that they were originally intended to run/air on the DVD sets. I suspect this is something that viewers may have noticed when the show was originally out, especially if they were taping the episodes.

Quote:
No love for "Lines of Fire"? It's well-worn territory, but Esposito really nails it.
Yes, Lines of Fire was amazing; it involved Mike Giardello (Esposito) trying to negotiate/talk down a desperate man (holed up in an apartment) from offing his kids & himself. One of the best episodes in the series.

There are so many good episodes in this season I couldn't go over them all.

One of the other excellent episodes was "Sideshow" (Part 2), which was actually began with a Law & Order episode (which was also included with this latest Shout! H:LOTS DVD boxed set). Very complex episode involving the death of a D.C. Federal worker whose body had been found in NYC. This is definitely one of the most complicated, involved storylines in the series. Well-done.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 11-09-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies