Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
$19.00

Stranded Sails (Xbox One)
$23.99
1 day ago
Marvel's Avengers (Xbox One)
$24.99

Warhammer: Chaosbane (Xbox One)
$23.64

Blair Witch (Xbox One)
$19.40
1 day ago
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Xbox One)
$34.51
1 day ago
My Hero One's Justice 2 (Xbox One)
$71.80

NBA 2K18 (Xbox One)
$8.64
8 hrs ago
The Pillars of the Earth (Xbox One)
$11.08
14 hrs ago
TrackMania Turbo (Xbox One)
$17.00

Dead Alliance (Xbox One)
$18.11
8 hrs ago
Darksiders (Xbox One)
$16.30

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Banned

Feb 2015
Default Microsoft ends Kinect manufacturing

https://www.fastcodesign.com/9014786...ing-the-kinect
Quote:
Manufacturing of the Kinect has shut down. Originally created for the Xbox 360, Microsoft’s watershed depth camera and voice recognition microphone sold ~35 million units since its debut in 2010, but Microsoft will no longer produce it when retailers sell off their existing stock. The company will continue to support Kinect for customers on Xbox, but ongoing developer tools remain unclear. Microsoft shared the news with Co.Design in exclusive interviews with Alex Kipman, creator of the Kinect, and Matthew Lapsen, GM of Xbox Devices Marketing.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-26-2017), Petra_Kalbrain (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Not surprised. I always thought it was horseshit.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

I've read some behind the scenes accounts about that Milo demo. Such a trainwreck.

I remember being in San Diego before the first one came out (about a year before) and sitting down in meetings with a rep trying to sell us on the thing. Immediately I knew it was a decent idea in theory but would never work consistently the way they were saying it would (the original hardware was crap). I was the only one in a room of about 3 dozen people saying this. Everybody else were parents and/or casual game players and the appeal of flapping your arms (when you could just press a button that would be accurate 100% of the times) was just too enticing to them. They all fell for it. Even when we got to demo it and it worked about 30% of the time they still loved it. This was also an albatross around the development of the One that they're still trying to recover from.

I also still blame this for putting Rare where they are right now. Besides Rare Replay (which I will never stop saying how amazing it is) the only thing of interest from them was Nuts and Bolts. Although Sea of Thieves (from what I've played in the Alpha) looks to be a return to form I feel if it doesn't pan out that may be their last shot.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Didn't Microshaft just end support of their cell phones recently, too? It seems they make a lot of announcements about what failed product they are giving up on. If only they would announce the same fate for Windoze 10.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015

Never gave a damn about these motion sensitive things or whatever they're called. Good riddance. Nobody I know ever had one or talked about it haha.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I remember being in San Diego before the first one came out (about a year before) and sitting down in meetings with a rep trying to sell us on the thing. Immediately I knew it was a decent idea in theory but would never work consistently the way they were saying it would (the original hardware was crap). I was the only one in a room of about 3 dozen people saying this. Everybody else were parents and/or casual game players and the appeal of flapping your arms (when you could just press a button that would be accurate 100% of the times) was just too enticing to them. They all fell for it. Even when we got to demo it and it worked about 30% of the time they still loved it. This was also an albatross around the development of the One that they're still trying to recover from.
And what's worse is that, had they waited for the Xbox One to introduce Kinect, they might have been able to make it work. As you said, the original model was crap, but the XBone version was an improvement. The awful reputation of the original Kinect tarnished the improved version, and basically killed its chances of succeeding before it even came out.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (10-28-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Banned

Oct 2020
California

Oh, I remember how we met with the guys and played games on kinect
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox