Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$23.30
1 day ago
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$15.72

Train to Busan (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray)
$14.49
1 day ago
Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Rawhead Rex (Blu-ray)
$24.35

The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$73.11

Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.64
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Aug 2018
Default How Do You Decide Which Steelbooks To Add To Your Collection?

I'm curious how everyone decides which steelbooks to buy and which not to?

I used to collect DVDs years ago and ended up with 700+ with loads of rubbish ones, with Steelbooks I'm trying to be more selective, my criteria at the moment is:-

1. IMDB Top 30
2. Marvel 4k releases
3. Favourite Films
4. Other classics from different genres/decades

I have a list of around 100 of which I have around 55 including pre-orders.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2015
Columbia, SC

What do you mean, which not to buy?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #3

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilson_11 View Post
What do you mean, which not to buy?
Well I've been seriously tempted to buy the MIB and Bad Boys 4k releases from Zavvi, they're good films, I really like mid-late 90's action movies, but there are far better movies, not sure I enjoy them enough to spend the money on the steelbooks.

Just not sure where to draw the line, I want a good collection but I don't want it to get out of control!!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

I use to buy them all, at some point I had every single steelbooks (300+) released from 2007 to 2009 (except one of the 6 Final Fantasy AC)
Now I'm very selective and buy only a few, all the Star Wars are a must and a few here and there if the artwork is interesting or if it's the same price than a regular BD or 4k BD.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

Jul 2016
Neverwhere
Lightbulb

I for one think it is a MUCH PERSONAL matter than we tend to believe, since we usually purchase what we can (find/get) from the ones we like, and from the ones we are really tented to re-watch more.
For example, I have several issues of Arrival (the most duplicates I have), as I also have 3 editions of Wonder Woman, from which 2 of them being SeelBooks.
So, after all, I would say I tend to buy what I like MOST and what I watch and re-watch MORE (but in my case I also include the 4K versions and digital ones, not just the SteelBooks).

Of course, in this discussion for sure the ones that can afford to purchase EVERY SINGLE VERSION of EVERYTHING and NEVER OPEN ANY of them should be left aside; we're talking at our "level", where we must weigh what we buy, and we buy them for our own pleasure and enjoyment, not for re-sale or a "collection-that-will-never-be-opened".

Also, I would not buy a movie just because is on the second and third place on IMDB's top 100. I've burned myself once with the one on sixth place (although not a SteelBook).

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBrickLayer View Post
Well I've been seriously tempted to buy the MIB and Bad Boys 4k releases from Zavvi, they're good films, I really like mid-late 90's action movies, but there are far better movies, not sure I enjoy them enough to spend the money on the steelbooks.

Just not sure where to draw the line, I want a good collection but I don't want it to get out of control!!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:01 AM   #6

Jan 2012
Chicago

I've become a real Steelbook slut. If I like the movie and am going to buy it anyways I'm going to get the Steel if there is one (and I'm thinking of trying to make custom Steels if not). I do hold out hope for a 4K Steelbook and don't just get a BD Steel right off the bat. As far as art, only a few pop art are bad to the point of me not getting one and there always a possablity of alt art latter down the road.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
South Carolina

I don't go by any list on buying unless it's my own. Some times on steels it depends on the price difference. If price is close to the standard release then will go steel. 4k matters some times because am not 4k ready, so have not b9ught some for that reason. Basically if I like the film and the steel is reasonable priced then I'll buy.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #8

Mar 2018

Blu-ray is already a pretty expensive hobby and steelbooks make it even more expensive. If I happen across a cheap one of a movie I like than I'll go ahead and buy it (i.e. I got Fantastic Beasts for 2.50$ sealed 4K steelbook at a warehouse clearance store, but I'll probably never buy all the HP ones to go with it).

However, I really love DC, I grew up watching their cartoons. So any DC Animated film that gets a steelbook, I'll buy day one if possible. But you need to know when to draw a line... The Dark Knight Part 1&2 combo steelbook goes for like 150$ or some absurd price of the week on ebay, I'm not buying that lol.

Also some movies I super love and would love the steelbook... and then they release it with crappy art and I just get the 4k standard case instead *cough*ReadyPlayerOne*cough*.
Thanks given by:
casperuk (09-01-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Nov 2011

I get the films that I really like on Blu-ray full stop, I used to get loads of DVD's but it got out of hand so I have really cut down on what I buy so I now get the steelbooks of films that I really like when they are released, I only buy one version though, some older films that I really like and have missed out on the original steelbook I will get a newer version and honestly some of the new versions look better as they have a cleaner desgine to them, I don't like ones with a lot going on.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

It sounds like a lot of people are the same here.

You start off buying the ones you like the look off regardless of the film or even if it's a blind buy.

Then you whittle it down slowly to the ones you really like.

I've bought all the marvel first editions. And only the first editions as they are released. With the exception of iron man 1, 2, Thor and capt 1. As I didn't have the ability to buy them at the time and had to buy them second hand on eBay or cex.

I'm now just buying the marvel stuff. But I will not buy the 4k steels, unless I don't already have it, or reissues as they are normally not as nice.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #11

Aug 2016

Im a minimalist when it comes to collecting blu rays in the first place, which means Im also a minimalist when it comes to collecting steelbooks. For me to own a movie on blu ray I have to really really love the movie. The standards are very high. Either that or the movie has to have been a very big part of my childhood. So If one of the blu rays I own gets released in steelbook form and the art work of the steelbook is sufficiently good enough, I buy it. One of the most painful things is when I see a movie that is really good but not quite good enough to be in my blu ray collection.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

When it comes to steels I only buy them if I like the art & am interested in the movie to begin with.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Do I like the movie? If yes continue.

Do I like their steelbook art? If yes continue.

Do I prefer the steelbook art over any other exclusives? If yes, it's purchased.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

It depends. If the steel book's box art is better than the standard and I really enjoyed the film then I'll probably go for the steel book.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 AM   #15

Feb 2011
Australia

I don't put too much thought into it generally; like a few others, I try to limit my collection of Blu-ray purchases to movies I really love and want to rewatch, and Steels fit in below that with the criteria below:

1 - I liked the movie enough
2 - The artwork is pleasing to my eye
3 - The above two points justify the cost (I live in Australia so shipping factors into it)

I also usually prefer one off titles rather than a series of movies; my mind operates like a completist, so if there are series of titles I usually wont even bother because it becomes too expensive.

That said, I think I only have about 7 or 8 of them...
Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Thumbs up Premium exclusive steelbooks!

I've just recently really started getting interested in them, especially the Premium exclusives ones from retailers like KIMCHIDVD, WeET COLLECTION, Filmarena, cinemuseum, Plain Archives, EverythingBlu, etc.

Oh what a hit to my wallet it is going to be!!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2012

If they are around the same price as a standard release and I dont already own the movie on bluray I try to get the steelbook. I also dont buy 4k.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:20 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

It's basically lotto dreams or if I finally can breakthrough and get into my preferred/goal of a profession. I'll be actually able to afford the compulsion then...

For me I just want a rack of shelving somewhere near or in my eventual home theatre setup dedicated to displaying steels on some of those clear stands and shine some led lighting on the cases. All front facing. Some completely open facing back to show front/back/spine and some just to show front -- I don't care if its 4K or standard BD I just want the most alluring front of a film I love.

Currently have 40 odd steelbooks. And have (in my realistic wishlist) another 35 to 50 I'd purchase over the course of 3-5 years even on my current budget $$$ wise! But my "dream wishlist" is 100 long and growing. And has at least 30 or more PREMIUM packaging versions to it. Talking stuff from Filmarena, HDzeta etc... The ebay cost of this 100 would be easily in the up to $10,000 range. Then I would buy anything I loved that came out after it, presumably at lower prices as that's the collectors markup to most of the older ones.

My most pie in sky ones are stuff like First Man (Mantalab), or from the DCEU like Wonder Woman, Justice League, BvS. But also stunners such as Tron: Legacy, Saving Private Ryan, Independence Day, Oblivion, E.T, Minority Report, The Matrix, Top Gun.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #19

Apr 2017
TN

If there's a steelbook version available of a movie I want to own then I'll buy it... Unless the artwork really sucks compared to the amaray (like pop art).
Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #20

Sep 2010

I try to be very selective with all my movie purchasing nowadays. Beyond that, I suppose it mostly depends upon the price. I got Sucker Punch for $10, but I doubt I would have paid $30 for it. I love some parts of it, but had mixed feelings about the film overall. But the cover was beautiful and I thought I'd at least give it another viewing sometime.

On the other hand, I didn't mind paying $35 or so for The Dark Knight Rises, because I loved the first two films in the series (I hadn't seen it yet.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries